• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game podcast - Ep 15 - Wed, 21 October 2009

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dance In My Blood said:
What then???
2j47nfb.jpg

Visceir

In case someone didn't know:
"Most, if not all, of the alien interaction and dialogue with Wikus during the eviction scene was improvised by Jason Cope or the actor Sharlto Copely (Wikus)."

I liked the first half and it definitely added to the movie.

Good episode!

Visceir

01:30 - 24:00, from there on they talk about the halo movie a little and some other movies. Uncharted 2 starts at 39:00

Edit: there are some spoilers at the 30 minute mark (30:00 - 31:00)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
awesome episode!

next week is going to be great: Uncharted 2 AND Brutal Legend

Visceir said:
01:30 - 24:00, from there on they talk about the halo movie a little and some other movies. Uncharted 2 starts at 39:00

Edit: there are some spoilers at the 30 minute mark (30:00 - 31:00)

Thank you kind sir.

CPS2

Just want to say, thought the hate for DJ Hero seemed a bit over the top. I think what N'Gai was trying to say is that you have 2 tracks which are beatmatched, they're the same BPM and playing in sync with each other (he used the term "mashed up" which might have been a bit confusing) and the cross fader action seems good enough in that it can play both tracks or cut one or the other off. The scratching seems very unrealistic, very "gamey" but there's probably a lot of people beyond elementary school who will like it.

Not the type of game I'd play, as I'd get sick of listening to the same music over and over again. Still it looks pretty good to me as a music game. I do keep thinking tho, that it wouldn't be that hard to just alter the software a bit and turn the controller into a cheap CDJ, and these types of games should include a mode like that.

The whole "simon says" thing, not sure how serious that was, but that's just how music games are done. Not sure how else they could approach it, in terms of giving you a challenge and seeing how accurate you are. I wouldn't call playing piano from sheet music "simon fucking says."

Doytch

UC1 said:
Just want to say, thought the hate for DJ Hero seemed a bit over the top. I think what N'Gai was trying to say is that you have 2 tracks which are beatmatched, they're the same BPM and playing in sync with each other (he used the term "mashed up" which might have been a bit confusing) and the cross fader action seems good enough in that it can play both tracks or cut one or the other off. The scratching seems very unrealistic, very "gamey" but there's probably a lot of people beyond elementary school who will like it.

Not the type of game I'd play, as I'd get sick of listening to the same music over and over again. Still it looks pretty good to me as a music game. I do keep thinking tho, that it wouldn't be that hard to just alter the software a bit and turn the controller into a cheap CDJ, and these types of games should include a mode like that.

The whole "simon says" thing, not sure how serious that was, but that's just how music games are done. Not sure how else they could approach it, in terms of giving you a challenge and seeing how accurate you are. I wouldn't call playing piano from sheet music "simon fucking says."
I think that's unfortunate. I played the shit out of GH2, but ultimately it got boring and I haven't gotten a new music game since. I'd kill for something that let you do some creative stuff with the music, though I imagine the artists/labels wouldn't care much for it.

CPS2

Doytch said:
I think that's unfortunate. I played the shit out of GH2, but ultimately it got boring and I haven't gotten a new music game since. I'd kill for something that let you do some creative stuff with the music, though I imagine the artists/labels wouldn't care much for it.

At that point I think you're better off playing real music. Basically I'm in the same boat as you where this type of stuff doesn't appeal to me. I just don't think there's necessarily a problem with scripting this stuff out for a game. As Shawn pointed out, DMC sets are rehearsed to death, and when bands play something they're doing the same thing over and over. To me it's just like going by sheet music.

UC1 said:

What hate none of them hated on it and all voiced the same concerns as when Guitar hero came out.

Acid08

Banned
wmat said:
You know, I'd prefer them not going off about that, half the cast being competitors in the genre and stuff (Shawn, Luke, probably N'Gai to some extent).
I totally get that but I would still like to hear their thoughts on it.

Doytch

UC1 said:
At that point I think you're better off playing real music. Basically I'm in the same boat as you where this type of stuff doesn't appeal to me. I just don't think there's necessarily a problem with scripting this stuff out for a game. As Shawn pointed out, DMC sets are rehearsed to death, and when bands play something they're doing the same thing over and over. To me it's just like going by sheet music.
Right. But I guess what I'm looking for is the GarageBand equivalent of video games. It's not a full-on, totally hardcore editing program, but it's not a toy. In the same way, I'd like to play something that gives me some flexibility beyond "when ya gonna hold up the guitar?", but not take six months of learning before being able to bust out a simple solo.

adelante

randomwab said:
You just blew yourself, didn't you?
There's gotta be a better way to say that :D

Speakin of AD, I actually tot of doing up my avatar Scribblenauts-style but i very preferred it animated heh

kottila

Doytch said:
Right. But I guess what I'm looking for is the GarageBand equivalent of video games. It's not a full-on, totally hardcore editing program, but it's not a toy. In the same way, I'd like to play something that gives me some flexibility beyond "when ya gonna hold up the guitar?", but not take six months of learning before being able to bust out a simple solo.

Sounds like wii music

FartOfWar

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
I confess I may have forgotten, but it seems like we haven't gotten a weird/highbrow topic recently. I cast 1 vote for a book or weird topic next time, if possible.

I'm bringing evolutionary adaptation to infidelity next time.

karobit

N'Gai wondering about the choreography of large fights in movies making them boring and then comparing that to video games disregarded the difference between observing and doing. I'd say one of the main strengths of games (particularly "gamey" games, not story-driven) is in finding the correct rhythm and performing actions gracefully. It's why people jump up to catch the wand in Super Mario Bros. 3 or jump/slide through doorways in Mega Man. It's why people love Speed Runs and No Hit videos. Seeing such huge results from a conservation of movement, where no button press is wasted, can be beautiful and is, in my opinion, art.

So the Crazy 88's fight in Kill Bill might've been boring for some to watch (I don't remember having a problem with it, but I haven't seen it since theaters), but to play it could be magnificent. Or it could be Dynasty Warriors. People always fuck shit up.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
You guys provided a lot of very thoughtful discussions regarding D9, I really enjoyed it. I was think perhaps you guys could have section on every podcast dedicated to a particular movie. I remember N'Gai wanting to talk about Inglourious Basterds, but you guys never got around to it because of your schedules I guess. I'm still very interested in hearing your reflections on that movie. Next podcast, maybe?

Firestorm

Topher said:
You guys provided a lot of very thoughtful discussions regarding D9, I really enjoyed it. I was think perhaps you guys could have section on every podcast dedicated to a particular movie. I remember N'Gai wanting to talk about Inglourious Basterds, but you guys never got around to it because of your schedules I guess. I'm still very interested in hearing your reflections on that movie. Next podcast, maybe?
I don't think it should be restricted to movies. They have some pretty good discussions on really every media.

Manguy said:
N'Gai wondering about the choreography of large fights in movies making them boring and then comparing that to video games disregarded the difference between observing and doing. I'd say one of the main strengths of games (particularly "gamey" games, not story-driven) is in finding the correct rhythm and performing actions gracefully. It's why people jump up to catch the wand in Super Mario Bros. 3 or jump/slide through doorways in Mega Man. It's why people love Speed Runs and No Hit videos. Seeing such huge results from a conservation of movement, where no button press is wasted, can be beautiful and is, in my opinion, art.

So the Crazy 88's fight in Kill Bill might've been boring for some to watch (I don't remember having a problem with it, but I haven't seen it since theaters), but to play it could be magnificent. Or it could be Dynasty Warriors. People always fuck shit up.

Well, I think he was just saying that a bit of nuance wouldn't do games any harm.

THIS boss fight is one of my favorite boss fights of all time. I personally don't even like the action genre that much, but if there were more things like this, and less gigantic monsters/people/statues/tentacles/whatever I might be interested.

The most recent EA podcast was great Jeff - I thought Rachel Bernstein had a really refreshing perspective on games. Almost makes up for your missing appearance here...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Elliott's leash got tightened following the Musi Chub incident, no more games industry talk, podcast to return

that's all we know

Balb

Rez said:
Elliott's leash got tightened following the Musi Chub incident, no more games industry talk, podcast to return

that's all we know

That's unfortunate. I was looking forward to a possible weekly podcast.

colinp

Banned
Rez said:

that's all we know

What's Musi Chub? I guess I missed something...

Top Bottom