• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Park Baseball 18 (OOTP18) - Official Thread and NeoGAF League

brentech

Was reminded that the Rule 5 draft is coming up. Get your players protected. Going to do a 1 day sim today to make sure everyone has a chance to protect with the 40 man roster. Then another 1 day to make the draft list available.

If you plan to draft a player, you need to have an open spot on your 40 man roster.

This is a useful screen that I always forget about:

DHcQEr_UAAMlv86.jpg:large

Thanks for reminding me TJ. I've suggested they make that accessible in many more locations.

brentech

I can never remember where to locate the page that shows your your previous draft picks so you can check up on their development

Yeah, I tried to unsuccessfully unload money via waivers when I was running Houston constantly.

Right? You HAVE to do that if you're paying more than $2m or so per win on a low budget team. Myers is a 2-3 WAR player at best, has a declining skill set, and is about to make $20m per for the next 3 seasons? I'd have been paying $10m to $20m per win in the last 3 years of his contract and it would have completely hamstrung me from doing anything else.

I was shocked the AI did the claim, but I applaud the RNG for it.

I guarantee I would've tried to waive Longoria at some point if I wasn't able to trade him last offseason, because he was months from having his 10/5 rights kick in and I would've been in a financial world of shit.

brentech

Thought there was an extra day between draft, but I was wrong.
1 day sim brought up the draft pool. Draft will happen tomorrow, make your list!

Remember in the old franchise when Detroit had TWO $40mm a year guys in Gallo and DeJong?

What was great was DeJong got hurt and Gallo's defense eroded but the CPU kept playing him at third.

I remember... We also drafted and brought Joe Adams and Dominic DiCaprio (2 time MVP) up through the farm system so that sort of made up for the financial disaster I got into with the two giant Gallo and DeJong contracts.

I remember... We also drafted and brought Joe Adams and Dominic DiCaprio (2 time MVP) up through the farm system so that sort of made up for the financial disaster I got into with the two giant Gallo and DeJong contracts.

Gallo was still hitting (I've been keeping the same going offline) but the CPU refused to DH him. He was incredibly valuable for a guy who was such a butcher in the field.

Trade Attempt II:

Seattle sends:

Paul Fry - MLB
Dillon Overton - AAA Tacoma

San Diego sends:

Carlos Asuaje - MLB
Michel Baez - A Fort Wayne
$100k in retained salary

brentech

Sim: 2 days
Date: Dec 23, 2018
Notes: Rule 5 has been run. Make sure your player is both on your roster and the secondary.

Trade was completed

brentech

Paul Fry was taken in the Rule 5, same sim in which I traded for him. Boston selected him.

May I have him back please?
Yes. PM me so I remember to do it tomorrow.

So dumb, he was on an active roster, no reason he should have been off one even after a trade.

Rommel

Wow I got all 3 of my Rule V picks I had on my list. Oddly enough I should be able to keep each one on my roster as they fill backup slots perfectly.

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Date: Dec 26, 2018
Notes: 3 players drafted in Rule 5 that shouldn't have been available were placed back on their prior teams.

brentech

State of the League Address:

We currently have 15 active GMs in GOBL. Which is pretty close to where we always have been. Most of us have been here the whole time, but there are a few good editions that joined after the start.
We have been running the league for close to 2 1/2 years now. We played 10 seasons worth of baseball between OOTP 16/17. Gave everyone a clean slate with OOTP 18 and are about to start our 3rd season.

Some changes on the table;
How do we add more GMs to the league? I fear that if the we aren't keeping the discussion here, than we risk losing members that have been with us all along, but opening up the league to others and forcing all chat to Discord would be an option that could see new GMs join.
The issue is, all important league communication does need to happen on one source. I simply don't have the time to check a bunch of places to get what needs processed completed before each sim.

And on the issue of time, I haven't really had it when it comes to operating my own team.
My daughter is more active now that she is a couple weeks shy of 1 year old, and I'm currently having a house built ------ So, with all that said, I'm not likely to be putting up the funds to continue running a league that I'm only partially invested in at this point.
Currently, server hosting+domain is paid for through March 2018. That does not mean that the league will be be over then, but we will need to collectively pay the $120/yr or have someone else take over the operation.

Not a post I really wanted to make, but it's the reality of the situation right now. I still enjoy the league even with our 50% human GMs, but we need to make a few decisions and find out if the league can continue to go forward past March. It's not much of an operating cost, but I'm just not getting the value out of it that I would like at this point.

If you'd like to discuss any of the issues above, I really suggest hopping into our Discord server.
Discord: https://discord.gg/wdXWWWu
If you have a discord account of a different name, please let us know who you are when you join.

I know I said to you that I would be more active, but I really don't think I'll be able to be as dedicated as I wanted to be especially once school/work starts again. I tried diving back in and was overwhelmed. I want to be 100% invested but I just don't think that's possible for myself anymore. Sorry Brent you've been a great commish and I hope the league can continue for the rest of you guys.

There isn't that much chatter regardless and I guess honestly I find gaf so gross anymore that I rarely visit the site so my vote would be to open it up and move the discussion to discord. I think it could make the league more active, ideally.

Maybe play it out through the current server costs, which coincide with OOTP 19 release, and open it up to others at that point?

I'll pony up the $120 to keep the league going, but I'm not a good commish (tried doing that in fantasy baseball a few times, didn't work well).

I'd rather keep the discussion on GAF as it's the best way to recruit new players and keep the game in discussion (not that we've been tremendously successful at the new players bit, although the new ones that have joined have been great).

I'm just not going to be one of those people that's running discord all that much. But I can be flexible.

Congrats on the house Brent! Know how stressful, time consuming and expensive that is.

I'll pony up the $120 to keep the league going, but I'm not a good commish (tried doing that in fantasy baseball a few times, didn't work well).

I'd rather keep the discussion on GAF as it's the best way to recruit new players and keep the game in discussion (not that we've been tremendously successful at the new players bit, although the new ones that have joined have been great).

I'm just not going to be one of those people that's running discord all that much. But I can be flexible.

Congrats on the house Brent! Know how stressful, time consuming and expensive that is.

It's really not. It takes months to get approved for a forum account. If we ran it through discord we could make a post on the OOTP threads and have the league filled in a few days.

norm9

So after some convos I'm not dropping yet

Just need to learn that being 100% isn't totally necessary every day

I'm usually only signed in about 3-4 times a week maybe. With my lack of budget and options, I reset lineups, look at a few minor leagueers and then export. Takes me five to ten minutes total.

State of the League Address:

Currently, server hosting+domain is paid for through March 2018. That does not mean that the league will be be over then, but we will need to collectively pay the $120/yr or have someone else take over the operation.

We at Out of the Park Developments will fund the $120 cost to keep your servers and domain running. Just DM or email me and we'll make the arrangements.

We are so happy for your support and this is the right thing to do for our best fans.

Rommel

We at Out of the Park Developments will fund the $120 cost to keep your servers and domain running. Just DM or email me and we'll make the arrangements.

We are so happy for your support and this is the right thing to do for our best fans.

Holy crap this is awesome! Props to you guys, you know how to treat your fans :)

We have open slots, the OOTP folks should join the league ;)

Top Bottom