• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast: A New Beginning - 15 Minutes of New Gameplay | Launching on March 15 for PS5, Xbox Series and PC

The original Outcast was a PC-exclusive, 3D open-world action game that predated Grand Theft Auto III by two years. It was an innovative, well-regarded, but underplayed game about landing on an alien planet and trying to survive in the face of its dangerous fauna and creatures. A remake of that game, called Outcast: Second Contact, released in 2017, but Outcast: A New Beginning is the long overdue, proper sequel to the cult classic.
Join Marcus Stewart and Kyle Hilliard as they check out what the game has to offer, which is primarily impressive jetpack mechanics that let you literally fly around the alien world at high speeds. Outcast: A New Beginning is coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC on March 15.

Last edited:
This is looking much more polished than when I last saw it months ago during their Direct.

It just doesn't capture the same sense of awe the first game had. In fact, as a fan of the first game, this feels off on many levels. Might be a decent game on its own but it does nothing for me so far.
It's very difficult for lightning to strike twice in gaming, especially when it comes to awe and wonder. We've seen too many games offer explorable vast landscapes and vistas at this point, so today's marvels have changed from that to physics and AI instead.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It's very difficult for lightning to strike twice in gaming, especially when it comes to awe and wonder. We've seen too many games offer explorable vast landscapes and vistas at this point, so today's marvels have changed from that to physics and AI instead.

When i see numbers flying out of the monsters when he shoots them i just can't help but roll my eyes. Movement and combat lack weight and the jetpack looks wonky. Like making a sequel and not acknowledging what made the original special in the first place.

When i see numbers flying out of the monsters when he shoots them i just can't help but roll my eyes. Movement and combat lack weight and the jetpack looks wonky. Like making a sequel and not acknowledging what made the original special in the first place.
I bet you can turn off the numbers. Regarding the movement and combat I guess it depends on what you're wanting. The last game did it's best to emulate the original as much as possible, including some of the jank:

There's always going to be the audience who will appreciate a remake for keeping things the same, or appreciate a remake for changing outdated aspects(like RE4R). I stand on the latter side so I agree with your opinion regarding Outcast's stiff-looking gameplay.

Con-Z-epT

I bet you can turn off the numbers. Regarding the movement and combat I guess it depends on what you're wanting. The last game did it's best to emulate the original as much as possible, including some of the jank.

There's always going to be the audience who will appreciate a remake for keeping things the same, or appreciate a remake for changing outdated aspects(like RE4R). I stand on the latter side so I agree with your opinion regarding Outcast's stiff-looking gameplay.

While Second Contact does have some neat visuals and QOL improvements they messed up so much with that. Cutter looks way to young and the new interface / HUD is taking away from the immersion. The gun fights are outright bad given how much it was sped up and how the controls and aiming were changed. From tactic fights to frantic shootouts. And there are many more examples. It plays high on nostalgia with the same sounds, music and VO but it left a sour taste after all. I don't mind some jank in my games as long as there is something special. The original from 1999 is objectively the better version.

Just like with A New Beginning it seems nobody has a clue as to why this game is kind of a cult classic. There sure is a market for the new game and i hope it succeeds but for me it's to big of a departure from the original to be even remotely excited. I get they are going for mass appeal to recoup costs but it will leave fans behind.

While Second Contact does have some neat visuals and QOL improvements they messed up so much with that. Cutter looks way to young and the new interface / HUD is taking away from the immersion. The gun fights are outright bad given how much it was sped up and how the controls and aiming were changed. From tactic fights to frantic shootouts. And there are many more examples. It plays high on nostalgia with the same sounds, music and VO but it left a sour taste after all. I don't mind some jank in my games as long as there is something special. The original from 1999 is objectively the better version.

Just like with A New Beginning it seems nobody has a clue as to why this game is kind of a cult classic. There sure is a market for the new game and i hope it succeeds but for me it's to big of a departure from the original to be even remotely excited. I get they are going for mass appeal to recoup costs but it will leave fans behind.
…But It can’t be both. You’re saying they messed up trying to emulate the older style and at the same time they messed up trying to make a big departure from it.

It’s very clear from the remake and now this game that they’re sticking to emulating the older style and adding very, very slight changes to not piss off older fans. This game and the last aren’t mass appeal at all, as you can easily tell both were built for people who wanted something close to the original but updated. I’m sorry but there won’t be a younger audience for this.

A mass appeal version of this game wouldn’t look this…old/outdated. That’s why I said earlier I’d rather they just did an overhaul and stick to an entirely new vision. Maybe I should have used FF7R as an example instead because that’s the type of overhaul I’m saying these devs should have done for a remake. Instead they are attempting to appeal to an individuals who will want a 1:1 experience, and most of those individuals won’t be satisfied or will nitpick it to death.

For them it’s a lose/lose either way, so why not just try to win instead by making something feel fresh and new? If they ever make it to another game I hope they let all of this go and innovate for the I.P. itself.

I’ll probably have a little fun with this game, but it is definitely looking like a B-game/C-game experience because of their choices.

Con-Z-epT

…But It can’t be both. You’re saying they messed up trying to emulate the older style and at the same time they messed up trying to make a big departure from it.

It’s very clear from the remake and now this game that they’re sticking to emulating the older style and adding very, very slight changes to not piss off older fans. This game and the last aren’t mass appeal at all, as you can easily tell both were built for people who wanted something close to the original but updated. I’m sorry but there won’t be a younger audience for this.

A mass appeal version of this game wouldn’t look this…old/outdated. That’s why I said earlier I’d rather they just did an overhaul and stick to an entirely new vision. Maybe I should have used FF7R as an example instead because that’s the type of overhaul I’m saying these devs should have done for a remake. Instead they are attempting to appeal to an individuals who will want a 1:1 experience, and most of those individuals won’t be satisfied or will nitpick it to death.

For them it’s a lose/lose either way, so why not just try to win instead by making something feel fresh and new? If they ever make it to another game I hope they let all of this go and innovate for the I.P. itself.

I’ll probably have a little fun with this game, but it is definitely looking like a B-game/C-game experience because of their choices.

We have Second Contact, the remake and A New Beginning as a completely new entry to the IP.

Second Contact was marketed as a remake to make this classic accessible to a new generation and to bring it up to date in terms of technology and controls. While nice looking they failed by interfering with core aspects of the game and creating an inferior version ultimatly. There is no arguing around the fact that combat is messed up here among other things.

A New Beginning looks like a departure from the things i loved about the first game so i'm obviously sceptical because i will always compare it to the original first before seeing it as something new. I don't write it off immediately and will keep a close eye on it. But as of now there seems to be nothing there that will make me play it on release.

The original was obviously a game of its time and 24 years later the gaming landscape has changed.

Kuranghi

We have Second Contact, the remake and A New Beginning as a completely new entry to the IP.

Second Contact was marketed as a remake to make this classic accessible to a new generation and to bring it up to date in terms of technology and controls. While nice looking they failed by interfering with core aspects of the game and creating an inferior version ultimatly. There is no arguing around the fact that combat is messed up here among other things.

A New Beginning looks like a departure from the things i loved about the first game so i'm obviously sceptical because i will always compare it to the original first before seeing it as something new. I don't write it off immediately and will keep a close eye on it. But as of now there seems to be nothing there that will make me play it on release.

The original was obviously a game of its time and 24 years later the gaming landscape has changed.

How do you feel the combat was messed up in Second Contact, I was about to give it a whirl this week finally.

It just doesn't capture the same sense of awe the first game had. In fact, as a fan of the first game, this feels off on many levels. Might be a decent game on its own but it does nothing for me so far.

It's got Unreal grey box design energy. The dude's legs clipping through the terrain just seems like low budget. The first game was incredible interesting for its time, there are design elements in it that were precursors to many modern RPGs and open world games. This doesn't have any of that vibe. I bet it won't even have half the depth of the original.

Con-Z-epT

How do you feel the combat was messed up in Second Contact, I was about to give it a whirl this week finally.

Aiming itself is now free like any modern shooter. However it's not smooth. While aiming the camera closes in too far and often Cutter is in the way of it. Combat was sped up, projectiles fly faster and enemies shoot more often. This all makes for a very frantic experience with wild shootouts. It's playable no doubt but completely lost its charm to me.

Kuranghi

Aiming itself is now free like any modern shooter. However it's not smooth. While aiming the camera closes in too far and often Cutter is in the way of it. Combat was sped up, projectiles fly faster and enemies shoot more often. This all makes for a very frantic experience with wild shootouts. It's playable no doubt but completely lost its charm to me.

I totally understand the issue from this statement, that sucks :( oh well I think I can still enjoy it for the nature of clearing the world of enemies, helping out the funny NPCs and obtaining the weapons/upgrades.

200w.gif

I already know this. You're not actually reading what I'm typing lol. I'll shorten it: I would have preferred if they didn't try to even approach the original's gameplay and design at all, much like FF7R to FF7.

Phase

White Cat Hello GIF

Been waiting a long time for this. Hope it turns out well. I doubt it can live up to the OG but I will have fun with it I'm sure.

Con-Z-epT

You're not actually reading what I'm typing.

I do.

I talk about two different things in my post. Do you? That's why I doubled down on my explanation.

It’s very clear from the remake and now this game that they’re sticking to emulating the older style and adding very, very slight changes to not piss off older fans. This game and the last aren’t mass appeal at all, as you can easily tell both were built for people who wanted something close to the original but updated.

To me it's very clear that both inherent more than slight changes and especially A New Beginning is not built for people who want something close to the original. I disagree.

I don't care about jank and dated visuals as long as a game ignites a spark and has something special going for it but this doesn't. I understand your take on making a version à la RE4R or FF7R but it seems it's not up for debate. An New Beginning is already straying to far away from what made the original special while not pushing it far enough.

peish

the guy seems to clip through everything. very eurojank PC. I think the original was also eurojank so i guess it is fair and nostalgic..

IIRC the original had good streaming tech and open world before open world?

oh white guy savior in native land, hmmm..

I remember PS2 demo that partly killed the Dreamcast hype, Outcast Guy before Silent Hill Old Man

Last edited:
I talk about two different things in my post. Do you? That's why I doubled down on my explanation.
Yes, I’m speaking of both, and I’ll explain why below.
To me it's very clear that both inherent more than slight changes and especially A New Beginning is not built for people who want something close to the original. I disagree. I don't care about jank and dated visuals as long as a game ignites a spark and has something special going for it but this doesn't. I understand your take on making a version à la RE4R or FF7R but it seems it's not up for debate. An New Beginning is already straying to far away from what made the original special while not pushing it far enough.
I think the reason we’re both hitting a wall here is because we’re both viewing this from different perspectives. You were a fan of the original. I have never heard of this series until the last one released, and I bought it on sale to play it, a while afterwards. From a new player’s perspective, I can tell you upfront that the 2017 title plays very much like an older PC game with a new coat of paint.

It felt outdated even for the year it released in. That’s my gripe with this entire situation and these two games. You, as a fan of the original, are saying that the changes made it so that it’s nothing like the original, but from what I’ve played and viewed, it felt likethis is as close as possible to what the original probably played like, based on footage I’ve seen that matches scenarios from the older game’.

We technically shouldn’t both be correct.

There are people here who feel that Demon’s Souls PS5 is nothing like Demon’s Souls PS3. I have played both PS3/PS5 and I can confirm that even if a new coat of paint with different lighting and slightly different physics was added, what you have in front of you at it’s core is the same experience from a gameplay, level design, and story perspective. I don’t consider the above changes to be enough to say ‘this isn’t the exact same as that older title, therefore it’s not a remake.’ When we all know that Blupoint’s intent was to remake the game to be almost 1:1. They didn’t even add the missing content for crying out loud.

To go all the way back, this is why I’m not super pleased with what we’re being shown here for this new title. They are iterating on the already outdated gameplay from the first one that is supposed to be a literal remake for fans such as yourself, even though you claim it’s not and you also don’t feel that it’s for you. So what was the point?

It’s almost as if they’re following their own weird timeline where hundreds of other, better games don’t exist, to the point where the footage in this thread looks like a late gen PS3/360 janky game instead of a modern day title or even a last gen title. They should have never did it this way. Older fans will always nitpick and criticize, so the best method is always to overhaul and reimagine for that new audience.

I will play this one also on sale, but I hope that with the next game (if there ever is one) that they leave all of this behind because it is like a ball and chain for their potential as devs.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I think the reason we’re both hitting a wall here is because we’re both viewing this from different perspectives. You were a fan of the original. I have never heard of this series until the last one released, and I bought it on sale to play it, a while afterwards. From a new player’s perspective, I can tell you upfront that the 2017 title plays very much like an older PC game with a new coat of paint.

It felt outdated even for the year it released in. That’s my gripe with this entire situation and these two games. You, as a fan of the original, are saying that the changes made it so that it’s nothing like the original, but from what I’ve played and viewed, it felt likethis is as close as possible to what the original probably played like, based on footage I’ve seen that matches scenarios from the older game’.

We technically shouldn’t both be correct.

There are people here who feel that Demon’s Souls PS5 is nothing like Demon’s Souls PS3. I have played both PS3/PS5 and I can confirm that even if a new coat of paint with different lighting and slightly different physics was added, what you have in front of you at it’s core is the same experience from a gameplay, level design, and story perspective. I don’t consider the above changes to be enough to say ‘this isn’t the exact same as that older title, therefore it’s not a remake.’ When we all know that Blupoint’s intent was to remake the game to be almost 1:1. They didn’t even add the missing content for crying out loud.

To go all the way back, this is why I’m not super pleased with what we’re being shown here for this new title. They are iterating on the already outdated gameplay from the first one that is supposed to be a literal remake for fans such as yourself, even though you claim it’s not and you also don’t feel that it’s for you. So what was the point?

It’s almost as if they’re following their own weird timeline where hundreds of other, better games don’t exist, to the point where the footage in this thread looks like a late gen PS3/360 janky game instead of a modern day title or even a last gen title. They should have never did it this way. Older fans will always nitpick and criticize, so the best method is always to overhaul and reimagine for that new audience.

I will play this one also on sale, but I hope that with the next game (if there ever is one) that they leave all of this behind because it is like a ball and chain for their potential as devs.

I never played Demon's Souls on PS3 and loved the remake. I looked up why fans complained that the original artistic vision was compromised and although i can see what they meant it never affected me. The core gameplay was very much intact and Buepoint tried their best to update it according to what they thought would looked appropriate. Difference is that for Second Contact they did alter key aspects such as an ugly HUD and an immersion breaking UI, a new intro with a different artstyle and on top the combat as i described. It's not all bad and it has some good QOL improvements but not enough to make up for their missteps. The game felt rushed in the end.

While i can relate to having a different point of view in regards to playing a remake first instead of the original i don't think Demon's Souls is the best example. Might also be related that Appeal struggled with financing the remake and didn't even reach the Kickstarter goal first try while Bluepoint has Sony backing.

Cutters movement in the original was very slow and deliberate. Sure, clunky even but it made traversal slower paced and more meaningful. The planet was kinda semi open with smaller areas instead of a big open world. With A New Beginning they go for this giant open map because it's the thing to do nowadays and to compensate we now have this jetpack to make traversal even manageable. Why don't they stick with much smaller sections and slower movement? Would be easier to fill it with meaningfull content. Same for the combat. You could evade projectiles with basic movement in the original and where carefully walking around to take cover. Some weapons had long charging animations and needed careful aiming. Now it's your modern action filled third person shooter. While you had a map you still needed to ask your way around and check for yourself where to go and how to approach the situations. Now it's trigger the quest and move to the waypoint on your minimap. Quests where pretty creative for its time and i highly doubt they innovate on that. Overall it looks like Zort.

On the other hand it seems like they kept the part with the alien language together with weapon customisation and some local previewer compared the game to Gothic 1 so there is still hope for it to not be a complete fallout.

I admit that a reimagination would have been the best.

So yeah, leaving Second Contact out of the equation, A New Beginning is as far away from the original "Appeal" as i can think of. Pun intended.

Last edited:

Denton

Why do game journalists always make games look bad by their terrible playing skills? And don't even get me started on what they say at the beginning of the video.

These idiots should just be fired.

The original from 1999 is objectively the better version.

I tried to play the original several times but could never get over the terrible animations of Cutter and janky voxel graphics.
I finished Second Contact no problem and had a great time with it. I kinda doubt your points (about messed up shooting etc) because they game is running original code under the new renderer.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I kinda doubt your points (about messed up shooting etc) because they game is running original code under the new renderer.

From the original.

From Version 1.1.

From Second Contact.

Clearly faster combat. In addition camera and aiming was "adjusted".

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It just doesn't capture the same sense of awe the first game had.

The first game was years ahead of its time in so many ways. It's hard to expect another game to be teleported from the future like that. Especially one developed by a new studio with the original creators.

I am surprised how polished and AAA this looks. Second Contact was a nice upgrade on the original but still quite clunky in a lot of ways. This looks very fluid and fun. Everyone is sleeping on this game.

Anyone gonna make OT? Game just comes out, reviews are in the 7/10 realm, which is actually better than I expected (I expected to get 5s at best as most eurojank games get).

Here is IGN review, pretty well written imho

I can make a review thread which can act as an OT. :)

Here it is Denton Denton :

Last edited:
Top Bottom