• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outer Limits bootleg Twilight Zone or stands on it's own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never saw much of the original series, but the 90s revival was fucking outstanding. I also liked that it had a set lesson each ep wants to teach, and you were just not seeing a snapshot into a weird world.

Both are great but the 90s Outer Limits out of sight, especially when they used clip shows to tie the universe together

Plus 3 generations of Bridges in one ep.

Nuc2gmt.jpg

90s Outer Limits holds its own. Obviously inspired, but has a good sort of "product of its time" originality. Kind of tough for me to describe, but I remember really liking this, and getting interested in the older Twilight Zone series as a result.

Slayven

I feel like Outer Limits stands on its own. It had more Science Fiction and like zero feel good stories. I'd rather watch Twilight Zone for sure, though.

You want bootleg Twighlight Zone, try Thriller: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(U.S._TV_series)

Edit: Shit you're mostly talking about the new versions aren't you?
Either or
Thank you for this topic! I Absolutely loved 90's outer limits. Top quality sci-fi.
It use to come on back to back with this

252f07542e03405f471b203f7b7002d7.jpg

That was some good tv

Never saw much of the original series, but the 90s revival was fucking outstanding. I also liked that it had a set lesson each ep wants to teach, and you were just not seeing a snapshot into a weird world.

Both are great but the 90s Outer Limits out of sight, especially when they used clip shows to tie the universe together

Nuc2gmt.jpg

Please tell me that dude on the left isn't the same dude who sniffs glue in Airplane...
tumblr_mmgjsgWnOS1qagjcno1_250_zps46f07fa0.gif

It is! Lloyd Bridges. And he's in Sandkings along with his son, Beau Bridges (middle). His other son is Jeff Bridges. What a family.

Slayven

Please tell me that dude on the left isn't the same dude who sniffs glue in Airplane...
tumblr_mmgjsgWnOS1qagjcno1_250_zps46f07fa0.gif

It is! Lloyd Bridges. And he's in Sandkings along with his son, Beau Bridges (middle). His other son is Jeff Bridges. What a family.

Jeff isn't in it. It's Dylan Bridges the little boy, Beau's kid

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I love 90s Outer Limits. Especially the mini arcs and clip shows episodes that connected previously stand alone episodes.

Fury451

Banned
Original and 90s Outer Limits were both good and had different vibes than TZ, though 90s Limits was more like original TZ

choco-fish

Black mirror satisfied that itch for me

Except black mirror wouldn't be on TV for another 15 years... we had to make do with what was available at the time.

I loved watching this show, first episode I ever saw was sand kings. Sometimes it was a little derivative and it was very 90s but that's part of the charm.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'd say the 90s revival stands on its own. Some of the episodes reek of adding in "...with sexy results..." but there are some genuinely good episodes in there. "Stitch in Time" and "Tribunal" are brilliant and stand the test of time, no question. The quality fell off a cliff in the last seasons though.

And I loved those clip show episodes. Obviously everything doesn't fit if you think hard about what happened in those particular episodes, but it was a cool way to repurpose footage and concepts. Only show where I actually liked the clip shows.

Entire series is on Hulu if anyone wants to revisit it. Pretty sure the original is there too.

Slayven

I'd say the 90s revival stands on its own. Some of the episodes reek of adding in "...with sexy results..." but there are some genuinely good episodes in there. "Stitch in Time" and "Tribunal" are brilliant and stand the test of time, no question. The quality fell off a cliff in the last seasons though.

And I loved those clip show episodes. Obviously everything doesn't fit if you think hard about what happened in those particular episodes, but it was a cool way to repurpose footage and concepts. Only show where I actually liked the clip shows.

Entire series is on Hulu if anyone wants to revisit it. Pretty sure the original is there too.

Between this and Stargate Atlantis i might have to get Hulu

I like the show well enough but man Sandkinds was a huge disappointment after having read the short story, by one George R. R. Martin years before Game of Thrones was a thing. First thing I ever read by him actually.

This show, Earth:Final Conflict, Highlander the Series and Beastmaster was always on Global in Canada

I loved Outer limits, for a compilation horror/sci-fi series at that time, it was a good show.

finley83

Banned
Sandkings was so good.

I really liked this show. It was good for its time.

Loved the first episode, there were some great episodes throughout the series but that was by far the best. I think because it had more time to develop the story.

I loved the Outer Limits. My favorite episode was the one where several people were placed in bunkers around the world and had to press a button to stop missiles from being fired off. These bunkers were made because an alien fleet was heading to earth for peace talks.

Khezu

Man I was just thinking about this series the other day.
Was going to look for a place that streamed it.

So Hulu?

Some weird ass episodes.

LakeEarth

Remember how the first season had nudity? They had to stop doing that so that it could go on regular TV. :(

I think the "bad ending : happy ending" ratio to this show was like 3:1.

An episode I liked that I remembered: the one where aliens have turned humans into brainwashed slaves, and the main character gets captured and "de-programmed" by the resistance, and is then used to kill the alien leader in their district. Of course, being Outer Limits, it turns out
the lead resistance guy was actually working for the 'second in command' alien, its all a scam so that the alien could get promoted. The main character gets re-programmed. Stupid Data.

The original Outer Limits was just okay, but the 90s version was fantastic. Incredible guest stars, great sci-fi ideas, often very thoughtful.

Some of my favorite episodes:

Quality of Mercy and its sequel, The Light Brigade
The Deprogrammers
The Camp
Music of the Spheres

I loved the outer limits, watched that during my teens in the 90s. Had some fantastic episodes that I still remember well to this day.
I mean the 90s version obvs, never seen the original. I've seen some twilight zone stuff but couldn't get into it at the time (I'm sure my age had something to do with it).

This was hidden on page 3 or so, but I'm just swinging to show my love for it too. Kinda lost steam when it ran for more than five seasons (and 9/11 killed it off), but it was great to have a form for dark short story sci-fi. That is something that is sorely missing from current TV, even if the onslaught of the sheer amount of TV shows is trying to compensate for it.

Also features Leonard Nemoy in a remake of the I, Robot episode he also did in the original run.
And a remake of the episode that started the alien abduction craze. I love the conclusion of that one too.

gamz

I loved the outer limits, watched that during my teens in the 90s. Had some fantastic episodes that I still remember well to this day.
I mean the 90s version obvs, never seen the original. I've seen some twilight zone stuff but couldn't get into it at the time (I'm sure my age had something to do with it).

Age has nothing to do with it. There's a reason why TZ is still popular today. It's theme's and stories are timeless.

gamz

Black Mirror is good but doesn't have the otherworldy quality of its forebears because it goes for a more grounded approach. No literal monsters, time travel, aliens, etc. At least in the eps I've seen.

San Junipero

Amazing, amazing ep.

The M.O.B

I was a kid watching the 90's Outer Limits and it was the creepiest thing to me, I almost hated watching it because I knew the ending would rarely be happy.

Age has nothing to do with it. There's a reason why TZ is still popular today. It's theme's and stories are timeless.
I meant moreso that the time I came across TZ was around the same time as the 90s Outer limits, I was in my early teens and had an allergy to anything prior to the 80's...Being a stupid kid and all. I never tried watching it again since, maybe I'll give it a shot but not sure if anything shows it in the UK.

Odoul

Loved the 90's Outer Limits.

So mean spirited at times.

There were 2 episodes with the T1000 actor. Probably the bleakest depiction of humans at war with another civilization.

Or the doomsday bunker where 1st contact is made.

The one that made the biggest impact on middle school me was the sandkings episode and the nanomachines.

If any of you haven't you should read the original short story Sandkings is based on. It's a bit different, and the ending is way better.

Rydeen

I meant moreso that the time I came across TZ was around the same time as the 90s Outer limits, I was in my early teens and had an allergy to anything prior to the 80's...Being a stupid kid and all. I never tried watching it again since, maybe I'll give it a shot but not sure if anything shows it in the UK.

It was on Netflix for a long time, not sure about in the UK. Twilight Zone works because the writing is extremely sharp, even by modern standards, and most of the actors featured on the show would eventually be A-listers a few years later (Robert Redford, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper), or beloved character actors (Burgess Meredith, Art Carney, Ed Wynn).

Plus, that theme always gives me chills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom