• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked (indie cooking game on Steam/PS4/XB1) is amazing and needs a sequel

Giant Bomb did a quick look of this game not long ago. It made me wish I could punch Ryckert in the butthole

It looks like a really fun local multiplayer game. Yeah, I bet online would be really helpful for this game, but I think it would lose some of the... magic without the dudes sitting right next to you.

Ok I thought he was joking around with the "Devil wants you to feed him and starts the apocalypse so you time travel to become a better cook" thing but then that's the actual plot and now I'm sold SO HARD on this game holy SHIT

linnu5

This game is so amazing. I had a blast playing it with my sister and my friends.

Bought it on PS4 and Steam, and I'm getting the retail version.

I really hope they release a sequel.

It is special bullshit when the fireball hits the center platform when the two players are separated. It ends up being a scenario where you can't pass the extinguisher back and forth quickly enough to keep the fire from spreading

Yes. This.

I'll also say that the last section (which we can get to every time) is incredibly frustrating because the ropes holding up the middle platform block the last items on each line of items and I can't seem to memorize them. It's like "where the hell are the tomatoes?! Oh, there, behind the rope where I can't even see tomatoes".

ghibli99

This is the best and most infuriating game I've ever played. My wife and I love it, but man, when we get out of sync going for 3 stars, it tests the strength of our marriage. LOL

RetroMG

My wife and I have been playing this and it's a blast. I just bought two more controllers so that we can have friends in for four player mode.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I want more foods too. Mixed ingredient soups or more multipart stuff like the fish and chips or pizza.

Oh yes, and that too - good point. New foods and new combos would be excellent for this.

I tweeted at the devs the other day that they should make a barista level where you make complicated cappucinos or frappes and stuff. You could have espresso, milk, whipped cream, blenders, etc

Oh damn - how did I not think of that? Overcooked with drinks in a bar is brilliant! Coffee/expressos and such like you mentioned to keep it rated E, or they can go the cocktail drinks route as well. They can just add those in as well too as DLC.

Man, that is brilliant.

It's gonna be released on retail next week iirc.

That's unexpected and cool.

So back from a good hour of playing with a full kitchen of 4 and it was a blast. The first time our kitchen lit on fire was a riot. Tons of fun, and the Two button input kept the barrier of entry low.

I will say, barking orders at your friends is hysterical. But your friends have to be down to clown - if you're a person with a temper, are playing with an angry person or playing with people who don't respond well to said people - watch out. Most of us were fast to jump on a "yes chef!" Kind of attitude but one friend didn't like the fake barking orders at all.

Overall it's a blast and I can't wait to play all the way through.

moai

Great game. I needed an old school coop and this delivered. I was wondering if there was a similar ipad game for my girlfriend to play.

furfoots

Go figure! I was wondering what was up with that.

Ye its very odd as the cutscenes and menus seem to be fine, just as soon as you take control it jumps to 50 ticks. It doesn't show up as 50 in the fps counter hence nobody really picks it up but run your display at 50hz and you'll see the camera scrolls better.

Mentioned it to devs but got no reply so I think they've given up on supporting the product.

Yeah, I just got this game a couple weeks ago after hearing Greg Miller talk it up. It's great. I am trying to get my girlfriend into playing games with me and she isn't so good with a controller. This game is perfect. Easy controls and great teamwork based couch co-op. We are having a blast trying to 3 star each level and she is getting more comfortable with a controller. We are still a long way off from shooters but It's great getting her involved in my favorite hobby. This game is awesome, share it with your friends/family, its a great time.

This game needs an online multiplayer. I'm currently away from home for school and I really want to play with my siblings back home... but I can't

Just finished this game with my wife...Just as memorable as Pixel Junk Monsters!

What a ride...Now to get 2 other friends over so we can demolish them in 2v2 modes!

Coxy100

Banned
Anyone still playing?

Playing through the gourmet missions at the moment - blimey the difficulty has spiked in this mission! (2nd or 3rd). First time we've ever really really struggled.

PRAISE IT, BABY!

Best party game Ive EVER played. Tried getting people to play games like Rocket League, but it doesnt click with them

this is THE Easiest game to pick up and play, but has such amazing chaotic and fun gameplay that it becomes an absolute challenge (in a good way). Any non gamer can easily learn it, and theyll enjoy it. It's that easy.

I cant stop praising it, and I wish more people knew of it

Best of all. I only had 2 PS4 controllers, but the game allows you to split the controller, essentially making it 4 player. Everybody at my party was screaming at the TV and laughing and engaged.

There is DLC by the way. They need to add some more like an endless mode, but they are at least supporting the game

taybul

Picked this up 2 nights ago and my wife and I are having a blast. I love how we strategize between rounds. Also funny how closely we act in game as we do in an actual kitchen.

taybul

We're getting close to end-game so light spoilers just in case: has there always been the ability to
---dash---
??? I don't know if this was only introduced in the last few levels.

We're getting close to end-game so light spoilers just in case: has there always been the ability to
---dash---
??? I don't know if this was only introduced in the last few levels.

You're able to do it since the 1st level, they just don't ever tell you for some reason. I don't even think it's listed on the controls menu.

taybul

You're able to do it since the 1st level, they just don't ever tell you for some reason. I don't even think it's listed on the controls menu.
Ah...
From the very beginning.
...dammit!

Definitely would have been nice to know from the start. Still managed to 3-star most of the levels (except 1 or 2 that drives my wife nuts) so I guess it wasn't that necessary. There's one level where we were doing everything perfectly but still couldn't get the 3* score but I guess this would have made the difference.

dankir

I loved this shit out of this game, but can't get 3 stars on each level, really gets tough to manage. I hate those multiple car levels, this game is stressful as fuck lol.

moai

This game has caused many fights with my girlfriend because i dont follow the gameplan about who does what.
Nice free dlc i hope they keep supporting and people keep buying the core game. Its my couch coop of the year.

My wife doesn't play video games and she loves this game. Every time I've tried to play something else these last 2 weeks (Overwatch, Battlefield, Watch_Dogs 2), she says "But what about Overcooked? We still have more missions."

taybul

This game has caused many fights with my girlfriend because i dont follow the gameplan about who does what.
Nice free dlc i hope they keep supporting and people keep buying the core game. Its my couch coop of the year.

My wife gets mad at me for leaving food on the floor (it's quicker than putting it on the counter sometimes). "But we're in the food industry!"

friz898

I wanted to come in here and give the game some love and bump this thread so the word gets out.

This is the most fun for couch co-op I have had since Saturn Bomberman.

I kinda want to buy a third controller, just so we can rope away our 12yo from his XB1 once ina while to join us.

Hard as hell. What button is Dash, if it's there from the beginning, then I don't see it as a spoiler? But no, my wife and I didn't know about it either.

For those who don't know, the physical version "Gourmet Edition" came out a week or two ago, got it at Gamestop, was $20.

Raitaro

I bought the physical version some weeks ago myself to accompany my parent's newly purchased PS4 (and to play at home on my own machine as well), and I really loved what I played so far. Eveyone that tried it did so too in fact. Looking forward to putting this one on again during the holiday break at my parent's place.

It's such an easy game to pick up even for complete novices at games, in part due to the simple controls (though it is a bit weird that the control layout doesn't seem to mention the dash move...) and in part due to the top down perspective that makes it easy to see everything. The gameplay mechanisms are instantly graspable as well due to the everyday cooking theme.

This game definitely deserves more recognition, especially amongst those looking for a good game to play with (non-gaming) family and friends.

Bit of a side note but instead of a direct sequel, I was thinking that it could also be cool if they'd make a second game with similarly simple mechanics and the same cartoony art style but with a different theme. Maybe a game featuring a different set of everyman/-women doing their job with a twist? Like Firemen? Garbage collectors? Construction workers? Cleaners? A spiritual successor to Timber where you play as lumberjacks? Or one for Tapper where you play as bartenders? The possibilities are near endless as long as they find a way to implement Overcooked's step-by-step action and co-operation aspects.

ultron87

Game is so good. I enjoy that each new level manages to throw some unplanned for complication at you. Also the 2v2 mode is fantastic. The moment where we realized you can steal the other teams dishes was just incredible.

FREE NEW CONTENT!? Wow

NEW ingredients and recipes and levels has me pumped up

This is easily the best party game of the year and sorely overlooked especially on gaf where I expected better love

I think it deserves a thread for the free content.

Besides online mp the big thing we need is new modes like endless and a scoring mode of some kind

Love new challenges for old maps and a 5 star system for more difficulty. Dropping food on the floor SHOULD affect tips

Cool, is it actually coach co-op?

Oh for sure. That's how it's best played. It's a riot and I'm telling u, the best party game of the year. Had a party and everyone enjoyed it because it's super simple yet incredibly hectic. Rocket league was too hard for my group.

Best of all, u can share one controller

Every level has a fun twist.

There is also competitive maps and co op maps against other players if u have two more spouses

Oh for sure. That's how it's best played. It's a riot and I'm telling u, the best party game of the year. Had a party and everyone enjoyed it because it's super simple yet incredibly hectic. Rocket league was too hard for my group.

Best of all, u can share one controller

Every level has a fun twist.

There is also competitive maps and co op maps against other players if u have two more spouses

That is fantastic. Was already going to buy it, but probably going to pick it up tonight then. Thanks for info.

moai

I bought the physical version some weeks ago myself to accompany my parent's newly purchased PS4 (and to play at home on my own machine as well), and I really loved what I played so far. Eveyone that tried it did so too in fact. Looking forward to putting this one on again during the holiday break at my parent's place.

It's such an easy game to pick up even for complete novices at games, in part due to the simple controls (though it is a bit weird that the control layout doesn't seem to mention the dash move...) and in part due to the top down perspective that makes it easy to see everything. The gameplay mechanisms are instantly graspable as well due to the everyday cooking theme.

This game definitely deserves more recognition, especially amongst those looking for a good game to play with (non-gaming) family and friends.

Bit of a side note but instead of a direct sequel, I was thinking that it could also be cool if they'd make a second game with similarly simple mechanics and the same cartoony art style but with a different theme. Maybe a game featuring a different set of everyman/-women doing their job with a twist? Like Firemen? Garbage collectors? Construction workers? Cleaners? A spiritual successor to Timber where you play as lumberjacks? Or one for Tapper where you play as bartenders? The possibilities are near endless as long as they find a way to implement Overcooked's step-by-step action and co-operation aspects.

Those are good ideas, but for now I wish they keep making some more dlc levels.

Got to play at E3 and later reviewed it on PC. Absolutely loved it, one of my favorite games this year. Went ahead and double dipped on PS4

Top Bottom