• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overthinking character creation lore: Cyberpunk 2077

-Zelda-

Banned
I have a question about this before I dive in again that is driving me mad. Is it breaking lore at all to have a pale white girl who is goth looking as a Nomad background? I ask because they all have darker skin tones from being out in the sun all the time, among other factors. Am I wrong in that a person would not be real super white like a vampire in this case? Street kid and Corpo kind of bore me, even if I feel that sort of appearance might be more appropriate there. Especially corpo

Last edited:
I have a question about this before I dive in again that is driving me mad. Is it breaking lore at all to have a pale white girl who is goth looking as a Nomad background? I ask because they all have darker skin tones from being out in the sun all the time, among other factors. Am I wrong in that a person would not be real super white like a vampire in this case? Street kid and Corpo kind of bore me, even if I feel that sort of appearance might be more appropriate there. Especially corpo

All I would to do is make her super hot and sexy

That's it all done :p

EDMIX

Well..not really.

You seeing them outside, does not mean they exclusively stay outside for 24 hours a day or anything odd like that.

With how broken and limited anything with "Street Kid" or "Corpro" etc is in this game, I wouldn't over think it, its not even a significate thing compared to what they claimed prior to launch.

As far as I can tell, it just determines where you start the game.....thats pretty much it, the rest of the dialogue options barely change anything.

Roni

Gold Member
Think of it as a writing exercise: can you think of a good reason why she wouldn't be exposed to the sun much? Also, you can always go the body sculpt way...

-Zelda-

Banned
Think of it as a writing exercise: can you think of a good reason why she wouldn't be exposed to the sun much? Also, you can always go the body sculpt way...
I could if it were The Terminator. Stay down by day, move by night only due to the HK tanks and flying units. In real life, I have Insomnia.

Now I wish there was an open world Terminator game set in the future where we could play as a reprogramed Terminator.

Hudo

I mean, she could suffer from albinism and would subsequently be a part of the Nomads that isn't out and about all the time but may work behind the scenes, for example as a Netrunner or so. You could also spin it as her taking some drugs or so to get close to the "beauty ideal" of being white AF (this is a real thing already existing in countries like the Philippines etc., where women try to "whiten" themselves.)

Or you could just say that your skin is synthetic and doesn't do Melanin production.

It's fucking Cyberpunk, you have a lot of options to justify the way you look in a believable way.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I could if it were The Terminator. Stay down by day, move by night only due to the HK tanks and flying units. In real life, I have Insomnia.

Now I wish there was an open world Terminator game set in the future where we could play as a reprogramed Terminator.
Maybe your clan specializes in smuggling sensitive corpo medicine that must be kept real cool? You move by night and keep the merchandise in a freezer during the day.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I got fragile pale white skin from my Irish grandmother, I gotta put on the SPF 70 if I’m going to spend any prolonged time in the sun. That can be your background story.

Roni

Gold Member
Let's be honest, women belong in the kitchen.
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Toots

Gold Member
What if your Nomad had a rare skin condition which makes her unable to go in the sun for long so she dove deep into the net at a very young age and never really went out ? You have to do a netrunner build tho.

Anyway don't roleplay too much just have fun, roleplay is only good if it makes you have more fun, because lets face it you'll have to pump yourself full of xanax to roleplay a corpo character and it is pretty hard to aim on anxiolytics...

I started with a Jackie Brown type character, seduced Judy, and changed to a asian character when i found good templates somewhere. Do you think Judy said anything about it ? Of course not, she's too scared of being cancelled to questions my truth (that or the devs had more important things to do than caring about the player's face or ass).

Anyway i'll leave you with one last roleplay option for you : why don't you play an HIV positive street kid ?
This way when an enemy kills you you can say some of your blood got into his mouth and he's sure to die within the next 40 years

ungalo

There are light skin/whites nomads and i don't even think they're doing cosmetic surgery or shit like that.

Killjoy-NL

You want to hear something funny?

If those Nomads are like gypsies, my joke isn't even far off, because they're rather conservative and traditional.

They actually do think women belong in the kitchen, so it would fit the narrative.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
You want to hear something funny?

If those Nomads are like gypsies, my joke isn't even far off, because they're rather conservative and traditional.

They actually do think women belong in the kitchen, so it would fit the narrative.
Game's already written and out, no need to fan fic this one. Just go and look...

Killjoy-NL

Game's already written and out, no need to fan fic this one. Just go and look...
"ROLE
Road warriors and Gypsies who roam the highways"

Btw, this while topic is fanfic.

Roni

Gold Member
"ROLE
Road warriors and Gypsies who roam the highways"

Btw, this while topic is fanfic.
Fixer for the Nomads is a woman, the clan's main netrunner is a woman and the future of the clan is only saved if a woman joins the leadership.

So you don't need to fanfic the content that's in Cyberpunk 2077, you can just go look what the writers put in the game. The OP's character backstory has no relationship with what the writers put in the game.

Killjoy-NL

Fixer for the Nomads is a woman, the clan's main netrunner is a woman and the future of the clan is only saved if a woman joins the leadership.

So you don't need to fanfic the content that's in Cyberpunk 2077, you can just go look what the writers put in the game. The OP's character backstory has no relationship with what the writers put in the game.
You do realize women can think women belong in the kitchen as well, right?
Because gypsy women do.

Then again, it's a game, so people can come up with whatever.

Roni

Gold Member
You do realize women can think women belong in the kitchen as well, right?
Because gypsy women do.

Then again, it's a game, so people can come up with whatever.
Anyone can think anything: there are people who think the Earth is flat in 2024.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Anyone can think anything: there are people who think the Earth is flat in 2024.
Yeah, except gypsy culture is like that. Even their women think women belong in the kitchen and men should provide for them.

But we've been at it for too long. It was a joke anyway.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Doesn't really matter. You can be whatever. Besides after the Prologue you abandon most aspects of your "Origin". And you really can be whatever you want.

Was always disappointed you couldn't choose a Police origin. But then that wouldn't really fit in with the preset story.

Roni

Gold Member
So, you deny an entire culture, because you take issue with traditional values?

Classy.
Deny a culture? Hahaha, no; they can believe what they want, as I've stated from the start, but if that kind of opinion is shared around me, I would engage it in the same way I engaged you. Would, also, probably get a similar response: which just goes to show how desperate some people are to save face for no reason at all.

Killjoy-NL

Deny a culture? Hahaha, no; they can believe what they want, as I've stated from the start, but if that kind of opinion is shared around me, I would engage it in the same way I engaged you. Would, also, probably get a similar response: which just goes to show how desperate some people are to save face for no reason at all.
And you share an opinion. Yours is not fact.

I never even shared my personal beliefs, so there is no need for me to save face.

Roni

Gold Member
And you share an opinion. Yours is not fact.
Yeah, women belong in the kitchen is an opinion on the same level as women can do other stuff besides kitchen work in a world where Angela Merkel was the leader of Germany!

Just as the world is flat is an opinion on the same level as the world is round in a world where humans routinely launch satellites.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yeah, women belong in the kitchen is an opinion on the same level as women can do other stuff besides kitchen work in a world where Angela Merkel was the leader of Germany!

Just as the world is flat is an opinion on the same level as the world in round in a world where humans routinely launch satellites.
You still miss the fact that it was a joke and doesn't necessarily represent my personal beliefs?

I'm starting to think you're a feminist male white-knighting for e-credibility like you typically see on a site like ResetEra.
The same one Gaf likes to complain about.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
You still miss the fact that it was a joke and doesn't necessarily represent my personal beliefs?

I starting to think you're a feminist male white-knighting for e-credibility like you typically see on a site like ResetEra.
The same one Gaf likes to complain about.
My post history is open, you don't need to fanfic that either...

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I don't actually care enough to get to know you better outside of this silly back and forth between us.
Hmmm, I see the pattern now: you don't care whether what you think is correct or not. Gotcha...
Sorry for disrupting your bubble.

Killjoy-NL

Hmmm, I see the pattern now: you don't care whether what you think is correct or not. Gotcha...
Sorry for disrupting your bubble.
Depends.

What do you think I  think?

Because I haven't even said what I personally think so far.

Just saying that what you say is subjective and depends on perspective and cultural values.

Roni

Gold Member
Depends.

What do you think I  think?

Because I haven't even said what I personally think so far.

Just saying that what you say is subjective and depends on perspective and cultural values.
I also notice you love to use the word depends to contribute drivel... Apologies, but I only engage with good faith interlocutors.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I also notice you love to use the word depends to contribute drivel... Apologies, but I only engage with good faith interlocutors.
Nonsense.

You keep saying things like you're "disrupting my bubble" when I haven't even once said what I personally think.
You're debunking something you made up in your own mind.

And everything depends on what you're actually trying to disprove, because I haven't even shared my opinion so I don't even know what you're trying to prove to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom