• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has one of the most positive depictions of Arabs I've seen in a video games

A character like Genji or Hanzo being the LGBT rep would have been far more ballsy, but i guess that doesn't really matter. Whatever.

why would making an Asian male gay be far more ballsy? it would be far more typical. American media has always tried to feminize the asian male.

it would have been more ballsy to make reinhardt, mcree or reaper gay.

making hanzo or genji gay would be typical hollywood type bullshit.

latest

The GOAT.

why would making an Asian male gay be far more ballsy? it would be far more typical. American media has always tried to feminize the asian male.

I think it's because Genji and Hanzo are immensely popular characters with the playerbase.

MechaX

Shaheen from Tekken 7 is pretty good.

Personally, given the fact that a lot of the new characters are either boring or flat out duds, Rashid actually turned out to be legitimately cool. As another poster mentioned, he might be the only newcomer next to Juri and maybe Dudley who actually stands up to the OG crew.

I could buy McCree being gay but ballsy really? He's a goddamn cowboy

tcrunch

His nationality isn't clarified there, though. Heck, his identity isn't even clarified - that might just be an old friend, or uncle, for all we know. It's just conjecture because of the skins and the Canadian flag in the TV in the background of that panel, but that means absolutely nothing, really. Tracer has a magazine with a picture of Symmetra in her apartment in that very same comic, that doesn't make her Indian.
Furthermore, even if it was her father and he lived in Canada, that doesn't mean he's aboriginal/Canadian, either.

Newborn.png

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Things I learned in this thread and not from the game.

-Ana is Pharah's mother(maybe there are a quote or two if on same team I've never seen?)
-Tracer is gay? (Some extended comic reveal that?)

Shredderi

I bought Overwatch despite the presentation, not because of it. By that I mean as a finnish man Torjbjorn is NOT what I wanted from nordic representation at all xD Having a finnish character in a game this big would be the most unique thing I could think of. It's never happening though. I guess there's always 'My Summer Car'. But yeah it has a pretty good representation overall.

-Ana is Pharah's mother(maybe there are a quote or two if on same team I've never seen?)

They have a few lines together, and there's also some other characters who make comments about it (if Widow shoots Pharah, for instance, she says "Like mother, like daughter", in reference to the incident where Ana lost her eye).

She was shown in a relationship with a woman in the Christmas comic "Reflections".

Personally, given the fact that a lot of the new characters are either boring or flat out duds, Rashid actually turned out to be legitimately cool. As another poster mentioned, he might be the only newcomer next to Juri and maybe Dudley who actually stands up to the OG crew.
The only problem with Shaheen is he's too dry. He doesn't have much to work with other than being a tough guy.
it would still be typical bullshit feminizing the asian male.

I get what your saying but the tone of your post is verging on slight homophobia.

Neoxon

So you don't like most of the post-SFII newcomers? What's wrong with Karin, Urien, Alex, or Crimson Viper?

LordofPwn

I know of this spray, I have it equipped on my Ana (or was it Pharah who has it?), I think. How do you infer his ethnicity from this image?

Cecilia D'Anastasio said:
So, on Wednesday, I attempted to confirm Pharah's Native American heritage with Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan. He said, "That's what we're driving towards. All the hints are there, so we'll see." That seems like a yes.
source
I mean but she could still be a cyborg alien that lusts after Mercy

rackham

Banned
I am probably missing the mark, but tbf, Blizz said the goal wasn't about creating a realistic version of locations (their anecdote about the team designing the Hollywood map works to this end) but more along the lines of "With future/optimistic as your themes, how do you envision the location in your mind?".

If it wasn't for the fact we're allegedly (oxymoron?) getting an India map called Utopia later this year, I feel like you could call Numbani Utopia/Utopian.

Yeah that stuff bothers me. Meanwhile, King's Row is a violent hell hole.

Nigeria and Egypt have shit human rights. Depict them like that and make about the omnics or whatever but this hippy dippy shit doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe they want to subvert expectations for these real life areas but that doesn't make it any less fake.

I cringe every time Lucio talks about how amazing Numbani is for human rights where everyone lives in peace. If I could go in game and tell him to fuck off, I would.
Except ugly girls, where is RoadSow?

Tracer is the ugly one

The only problem with Shaheen is he's too dry. He doesn't have much to work with other than being a tough guy.

I get what your saying but the tone of your post is verging on slight homophobia.

has nothing to do with homophobia. asian male representation in popular media is either full of stereotypes or feminizing them. this is how it has been for a long time. asking to continue that tradition is ridiculous.especially in a thread about how blizzard is doing the opposite with another character

id be all for making any of the white male
characters gay.

Yeah that stuff bothers me. Meanwhile, King's Row is a violent hell hole.

Nigeria and Egypt have shit human rights. Depict them like that and make about the omnics or whatever but this hippy dippy shit doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe they want to subvert expectations for these real life areas but that doesn't make it any less fake.

I cringe every time Lucio talks about how amazing Numbani is for human rights where everyone lives in peace. If I could go in game and tell him to fuck off, I would.
That is the point yes, it's a futuristic superhero T game, don't think about it too much.

MCD

English is a mandatory subject in many Arab countries, we don't even dub movies, we use subtitles instead.

So localization isn't a big deal.

Sony, EA and UBI are making it a standard among others. Blizzard are just lazy.

Neoxon

That's my general problem with Shaheen. Granted, he looks badass as hell, but he leaves a bit to be desired in the character department. Rashid, while not as badass visually, is a great fun-loving character who's pretty much the main character of SFV (& for good reason).

PK Gaming

Agreed, but why do you gotta come at Rashid like that OP?

Appearance aside, there's nothing overtly stereotypical about him, and he's more or less SFV's "main" character in the story mode.

He's awesome.

DrArchon

I bought Overwatch despite the presentation, not because of it. By that I mean as a finnish man Torjbjorn is NOT what I wanted from nordic representation at all xD Having a finnish character in a game this big would be the most unique thing I could think of. It's never happening though. I guess there's always 'My Summer Car'. But yeah it has a pretty good representation overall.

I'd like to think that every nationality should aspire to be represented by games as great as My Summer Car.

Apathy

I was unexpectedly giddy with excitement and glee when I saw Sombra's reveal CG trailer. After decades of seeing Mexicans in videogames as nothing other than Lucha Libre wrestlers, drugdealers, criminals or other stereotypes my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Representation matters, guys.

She's still a criminal lol, Latin Americans can't escape that. The only thing about her is the accent that drives me nuts. A lot of Latin Americans with an accent when they speak english isn't that bad

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's pretty damn cool to not have a bunch of overtly shitty and racist caricatures of brown people in a videogame

how refreshing

rackham

Banned
How is a rich tech loving fighter that controls the wind a Arab stereotype? Rashid is great.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Rich Arabs are a stereotype. I can't tell you how many times people expect my family to be wealthy, and when they find out we really aren't, they kind of look down on us- even from other arabs.

We have a pretty nice house so when people see it, they assume we're wealthy. They don't bother asking how hard my father worked to get bring that house from the shit condition it was in to the the now very livable condition it's in now. They don't know or care about the scars on his hands from the real work he did and the ridiculous saving he did to get us to today.

Ivan 3414

American media commonly desexualizes Asian men; there's a distinct difference between desexualization and feminization. "Gay Asian male" is far from a common trope; Asian men expressing sexuality at all is uncommon in American media. So yes, making Hanzo or Genji gay would be a ballsy move.

All that being said though, the fact that you've equated being attracted to men with feminization is quite telling of your own view of homosexuality.

American media commonly desexualizes Asian men; there's a distinct difference between desexualization and feminization. "Gay Asian male" is far from a common trope; Asian men are hardly sexualized
at all in American media. So yes, making Hanzo or Genji gay would be a ballsy move.

All that being said though, the fact that you've equated being attracted to men with feminization is quite telling of your own view of homosexuality.

naw bruh. asians are desexualized when it comes to hetero characters...but when they are gay they are sexualized. gay asian male is a common trope.

I'm all for making any of the white male characters gay. why can't we have one of the white male characters be gay? whats wrong with that? There's a ton of them in this game to choose from.

That's my general problem with Shaheen. Granted, he looks badass as hell, but he leaves a bit to be desired in the character department. Rashid, while not as badass visually, is a great fun-loving character who's pretty much the main character of SFV (& for good reason).

It helps that Rashid is the main driving force behind the story of SFV.

Neoxon

It helps that Rashid is the main driving force behind the story of SFV.
Rashid's connection to the Illuminati (even if it's a brief allgnment of interests) is also something I'd like to see explored in future games. I'm not sure if Kolin would simply let Rashid walk away, let alone Urien & Gill.

MartyStu

This

The advertising was such that people loved the cast before anyone ever even touched the game.

Tracer was the unofficial(official?) mascot before it was "revealed" that she was a lesbian/bisexual, and she's female, so she's easily the path of least resistance to the LGBT community.

A character like Genji or Hanzo being the LGBT rep would have been far more ballsy, but i guess that doesn't really matter. Whatever.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though. I kind of wish the chick who made Orisa was actually piloting the mech (like D.Va), but Doomfist is fun as fuck and I now understand why Terry Crews wouldn't have worked.

Unless she was aged up, this was never going to happen.

Ivan 3414

naw bruh. asians are desexualized when it comes to hetero characters...but when they are gay they are sexualized. gay asian male is a common trope.

I'm all for making any of the white male characters gay. why can't we have one of the white male characters be gay? whats wrong with that?

That doesn't buffet my point. Gay Asian men are sexualized in our media because gay characters in general are sexualized, or defined by their sexuality. But even then, depictions of these expressly gay Asian men is, as I said, uncommon.

Can you name five gay Asian male characters in American media?

Kalentan

No, he wasn't. This was something the community made up and it turned into an accepted fact. Michael Chu personally shot that rumor down.

People love to repeat this but even in this very thread its been debunked, lol.

That makes his skins makes no sense.

I mean obviously if they say it was never the case than that's that but it seems odd that all of his legendary skins were all Canadian themed.

antitrop

The funny part about that is if Ana, Soldier, and Pharah are all on the same team, Soldier will say to Pharah "Your mother would have been proud of you" and Pharah replying "You didn't know my mother very well", with Ana literally standing right next to them. That line was in at launch and they never bothered to change it after Ana was added to the game, so it's really, really strange if she happens to be on the team with them.

Kyzon

Isn't it great to see yourself in media? I'm not Arab msyelf, but seeing a gay girl (Tracer) as the "main character" of such a big game makes me super happy.

I'm still waiting for my black nerdy guy who grew up in the hood. I relate to Static and Miles Morales a ton because of their background mirroring mine.

But yeah, the cast in overwatch is pretty damn good.

rackham

Banned
I'm still waiting for my black nerdy guy who grew up in the hood. I relate to Static and Miles Morales a ton because of their background mirroring mine.

But yeah, the cast in overwatch is pretty damn good.

I'm hoping Terry Crews wasn't Doomfist because he's going to play an American character.

Top Bottom