• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol remember when i posted this yesterday?

just got one of those e-mails from blizzard where they thanked me for making overwatch a better place and previously reported people got punished.

feelsgoodman.jpg

Well i just got another one of those mails..... blizzard ain't joking around anymore.

Edit: and i don't have a smurf, it's on my same main account

Does anyone else think this game is set up to give you streaks? It's really weird. I'll gain 150 SR one day, lose 100sr the next, gain 125sr the next, etc. Its like it knows how to pair you with bad people if you did good the previous day and good people if you did bad. Very weird.

I've always noticed this. It's why I quit each season. A horrendous loss streak will get me oh, so close to tilting, and I don't tilt. I just quit. It's happened every season I've played Comp (S2 was my first). I haven't even done my Placements in this or last season because of it.

Veelk

Banned
Thoughts playing Overwatch today:

1. I finally got around to playing the new Roadhog in Deathmatch today. He's....not great. I guess he can get kills if you're good enough with him, but he's just not satisfying to play at all. I haven't played him in QP, so I guess I should to try him out there, but he just doesn't feel good.

2. I can't believe it took me this long to figure out, but Reinhardt's ultimate ability should totally go on R3! It's brilliant now, I can aim WHILE I initiate the attack instead of having to take my thumb of the thumbstick. And it's not like I'm losing any utility even because he doesn't have a standard melee attack anyway!

3. I fiddled around with the aiming setting YET AGAIN and I think I have them set right once again. Which might explain why I've been getting my ass handed to me in Comp, since my aiming has been off in subtle but noticable ways.

4. Fuck Soldier.

5. Why don't the defenders spawn on point A at the start of the match? 2 minutes before any match starts because of the way it's set up, and 3/4's of it is necessity for defenders to set up. But 30 seconds of that time is just defenders running from spawn to set up on the defense point. Why not have them just spawn there once the character selection aspect of it is over?

Schlep

If my main account drops into plat, I'm pretty sure I'm done with this game. Been grinding there on my alt and it's just so disheartening. It's basically luck of the draw on whether your team knows how to play the game...over a year after it was released.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kind of wonder if we'll see ANOTHER Bastion rework before the end of the year

I don't think I can think of a single hero that's had as bad of a time as our omnic buddy

dominates in beta and launch
people learn to work around him. he's mostly a sitting duck if he's not being babysat. not viable at all on attack even then.
buffed. dominates meta for exactly one week
nerfed. arguably in an even worse place than he was before with more falloff and no headshot capability as well as tank form getting completely trashed.
Reaper is now a better tankbuster than him since he no longer has range and Reaper has more survivabilty now. Junkrat is better for blowing up barriers, mobility and doing damage to tanks with no more self damage

His deployment time getting cut in half would go a huge way

Cappa

Banned
Game won with Frester: 1
Games won with Ned/Batman/cappa: 0

Frester you main the same character my one irl friend who plays this game mostly mains that's why I was wondering if you play others since you have so many Zen hours.
Late watch was a mistake

LiK

Game won with Frester: 1
Games won with Ned/Batman/cappa: 0

Frester you main the same character my one irl friend who plays this game mostly mains that's why I was wondering if you play others since you have so many Zen hours.

The tides have changed. I'll be back later this week.

Death match game. As McCree. 13 kills. 4 assists. 11 deaths.
The Tracer in the game. 13 kills. 6 assists. 9 deaths.

I finished 4th and get the win. They finish 5th and lose.

How is that in anyway fair?

maomaoIYP

Thoughts playing Overwatch today:

1. I finally got around to playing the new Roadhog in Deathmatch today. He's....not great. I guess he can get kills if you're good enough with him, but he's just not satisfying to play at all. I haven't played him in QP, so I guess I should to try him out there, but he just doesn't feel good.

9 easy straight wins with Roadhog. Easiest character for Deathmatch.
DJhHU_zUMAApuRA.jpg:large

MartyStu

I generally consider my aim to be poor, but I play an embarrassing amount of Ana in QP and I consider myself pretty decent with her.

It never occurred to me that skill with her was transferable to other characters.

Then I started playing McCree. Is this how DPS players feel all the time? It is kind of intoxicating.

I generally consider my aim to be poor, but I play an embarrassing amount of Ana in QP and I consider myself pretty decent with her.

It never occurred to me that skill with her was transferable to other characters.

Then I started playing McCree. Is this how DPS players feel all the time? It is kind of intoxicating.

What's your Accuracy % with her?

Didn't see this being mentioned here but ~two weeks ago they said that they are going to look into Ana aim assist for allies on console:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169652201?t=01h49m45s

Also I really hope they will finally fix dual-zone this next patch, don't want to drop the game but I will since atm I can't play hitscan characters at all and struggle with projectiles, shitty aiming all around for the most part.

Kalnoky

Didn't see this being mentioned here but ~two weeks ago they said that they are going to look into Ana aim assist for allies on console:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169652201?t=01h49m45s

Also I really hope they will finally fix dual-zone this next patch, don't want to drop the game but I will since atm I can't play hitscan characters at all and struggle with projectiles, shitty aiming all around for the most part.

Ana feels super hard to play on console to me, I think because of no aim assist on allies yet heavy aim assist on enemies. Plenty of times I would try to aim for an ally, only for the aim assist to kick in and nudge me off an ally onto the enemy they're fighting, haha.

All of my comp matches today were completely lopsided, and I was on the losing side of all but one of them.

I am doing pretty good in FFA though, getting top 3 most of time with McCree, he so fun.

LiK

All of my comp matches today were completely lopsided, and I was on the losing side of all but one of them.

I am doing pretty good in FFA though, getting top 3 most of time with McCree, he so fun.

Did you get to Masters at all? You were so close last time I checked.

Ana feels super hard to play on console to me, I think because of no aim assist on allies yet heavy aim assist on enemies. Plenty of times I would try to aim for an ally, only for the aim assist to kick in and nudge me off an ally onto the enemy they're fighting, haha.
Do what I do. Just get up on their ass. Lol
For the most part I focus more still on tank since easier target. I thought they made her scoped bigger for console. I just aim on smaller hero and then scope. If I miss the quick scope heal then so for them.

Cappa

Banned

Ive also surprisingly had the same happen... competitive has been a disaster but FFA Im top 3 every match. Usually run Reaper/Soldier/Mei. I get loot boxes ridiculously quickly now.

Want to improve at Comp (low Gold, 2k)... I guess recording my games and looking for the mistakes is one of the better ways?

Best ways to improve:

1. Play a shit ton. Expanding your general game / map knowledge is the foundation for improvement in this game.
2. Try and stick with one hero for a while. Once your comfortable with your aim, positioning, team role, and overall effectiveness, start branching out into other heros. You will climb the ranks super fast if you are good with at least 1 or 2 heros from each category. Flexibility is key.
3. Watch a stream of a high SR / pro player and take note of their positioning / comms / target priority / etc. Preferably watch someone who plays the hero you do
4. As you mentioned above, record yourself and look at all the times you died. Analyze it, determine a solution, and try to implement that in your next game.
5. Communicate with your team often. Call out low hp enemy heroes for picks, call out enemy flankers, press x for need healing if your low hp, etc.

Frester

You and your friends all dipped out a few times last night. Thought you'd all gone to some exclusive voice chat place xD

The first day it happened I thought it was just me, as I was also lagging pretty badly to the point that I didn't want to go into comp. But last night it seemed like it hit everyone. Only fix that's worked is restarting my PS4.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe they could make Bastion into a carry hero. Like Monarch in Titanfall 2 where she can upgrade herself in exchange for an ult up to 3 times.

Actually play up the transforming aspect

caesar

Banned
I kind of wonder if we'll see ANOTHER Bastion rework before the end of the year

I don't think I can think of a single hero that's had as bad of a time as our omnic buddy

dominates in beta and launch
people learn to work around him. he's mostly a sitting duck if he's not being babysat. not viable at all on attack even then.
buffed. dominates meta for exactly one week
nerfed. arguably in an even worse place than he was before with more falloff and no headshot capability as well as tank form getting completely trashed.
Reaper is now a better tankbuster than him since he no longer has range and Reaper has more survivabilty now. Junkrat is better for blowing up barriers, mobility and doing damage to tanks with no more self damage

His deployment time getting cut in half would go a huge way

What? Bastion is fine

Gorillaz

came back last night to play this and it just confirmed to me that at least on ps4 the community is pretty much "done" in terms of caring

lasted a whole year so that is impressive thought February would have been it's final stand

caesar

Banned
what? his pick rate is .50% across all ranks and .15% in GM how is that fine?

A hero like him is never going to be picked a lot in GM, unless you make him op. His pickrate should be much higher in lower ranks, he has tons of potential there but the players don't have the aim to back it up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A hero like him is never going to be picked a lot in GM, unless you make him op. His pickrate should be much higher in lower ranks, he has tons of potential there but the players don't have the aim to back it up.

his pickrate in bronze is 1.5
silver is .93
gold is .62
plat is .46

you want me to kep going?

Skii

what? his pick rate is .50% across all ranks and .15% in GM how is that fine?

That's perfectly fine.

Characters like Bastion, Junkrat, Mei, Mercy etc. should be for silver/gold level players who are learning the game. They shouldn't be serious characters at the top level.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's perfectly fine.

Characters like Bastion, Junkrat, Mei, Mercy etc. should be for silver/gold level players who are learning the game. They shouldn't be serious characters at the top level.

do you think every top level game should be genji vs tracer or something?

Anne

You can't make Bastion remotely pickable in common use without making the game a huge garbage fire. Should either entirely scrap the concept or just leave him as some niche or goofy thing a few players will try to make work.

I disagree with you Skii tho. Mei and Mercy especially. It's not some dumb mechanics bullshit with characters like that. It's just Bastion i sway too extreme as is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And that's why I suggested they might do another rework for him rather than 'he should do more damage'

either that or they need to drastically reduce his transformation times.

Anne

The way OW works as is, you'd need to basically scrap the turret concept altogether, which considering how established he is as that thing I doubt will happen is all.

Veelk

Banned
You can't make Bastion remotely pickable in common use without making the game a huge garbage fire. Should either entirely scrap the concept or just leave him as some niche or goofy thing a few players will try to make work.

I disagree with you Skii tho. Mei and Mercy especially. It's not some dumb mechanics bullshit with characters like that. It's just Bastion i sway too extreme as is.

Bastion's gimmick prevents him from being a regular. His turret form is insanely powerful (in dealing out damage).

So you have to give him a lot of vulnerabilities (which is what he has now) or else he dominates the game.

There's no middleground with him unless they signfiicantly nerf the turret form. And I don't see how they can do that without making that worthless because it's already giving up mobility, which is the arguably the most valuable thing in a character.

So what do?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know, I'd say that big group rez's is what Mercy's known as and they changed that. They could tweak things around.

Top Bottom