• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch - Review Thread

Finally a metacritic user saying the truth:
Li67fzw.jpg

ahh, the good ol' "popular company game is bad and you are all sheep" review. and what the hell is with that "must pay to get what you need" line. they're selling colors not Heroes. overblown and ignorant review.
and also when he says "nothing like being shot as you run around corners" hopefully he isn't complaining about Widow's ultimate...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And that's why userscore is almost useless, whenever a game is popular it attracts idiots and stupidly low scores.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I have still yet to even see a gameplay video or screenshot of this.

Kind of like it that way. I accidentally avoided seeing ANYTHING related to this game, (aside from the Recall short I watched today).

So when I do pick this up, should be completely fresh. Haven't had that happen in years.

Wanderer5

Hot damn, it deserves this high of praise so far. Blast to play, has loads of charm and style, and not that much issues regarding performance, least from what I seen.

butman

Very nice reviews! Too bad online-shooters are not my thing at all anymore. Too old. :)

Same. Good for the genre but not interested at all.

What is curious is how the characters has became so famous in peoples minds, creating a big artwork community and stuff. Personally i don't find them memorables at all. They look so generic. But well youngters taste.

Dad

Kind of like it that way. I accidentally avoided seeing ANYTHING related to this game, (aside from the Recall short I watched today).

So when I do pick this up, should be completely fresh. Haven't had that happen in years.
Um, how blind are we talking here? You do know there isn't a single player mode, right?

That was me until the xb1 beta. I had only seen a part of a short through a commercial. Very very pleasantly surprised!

shoreu

For people trying to bring up microtransactions, like that review, either through ignorance, curiosity, or otherwise:

A) The game didn't have anything you could 'buy' at all in the beta. It was still fun. We knew they were going to sell loot crates (they said they were) but they didn't then, and it was stil lfun and rewarding to earn them. Prior to this year, the game didn't have unlocks period. Literally none. No levelling no progression. The game was STILL fun. The basic gameplay hasn't even changed, it's just a fun game.

B) Stop comparing it to F2P titles. There are tons of non-F2P games that have microtransactions in them as ways to just kind of buy extra bullshit. Very few of them have all of said bullshit totally free within the game anyway at a very reasonable rate of acquisition (The cap on XP per level puts it at around 1 box per hour and a half in this game. that's 4 cosmetics every hour and a half).

If the game were ACTUALLY an F2P title, this is how it would work:
Heroes cost either 10 bucks a piece or you can grind 30-40 hours per hero to unlock them with ingame space bucks. You get like 2 heroes for free because fuck your teammates and team comp that's why.
Cosmetics like we get in loot boxes now? Sorry. Cash only. 5 bucks per skin, pay me.

Anyone that can't see the difference between the kind of scheme an actual F2P game uses, and a game that says 'fine, you can buy faster unlocks, and the unlocks don't matter, and they're acquired at a good pace anyway already' are night and day.

Many people don't care look at how crazy some people reacted with halo 5

IGN's "If we had to score it now..." scores 9.4
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/24/overwatch-review
While it’s rare that a multiplayer-centric game develops a sense of place, there are a bunch of other things that multiplayer games are roundly expected to do, and Overwatch mostly accomplishes them. It does a great job of identifying and surfacing good play to teammates and opponents, and provides steady stream of unlocks and progression, as well as a strong online experience that gets you into games quickly and reliably. We’ll dive a little deeper into those elements once I’ve had a little more time with this final release (as opposed to the beta), but for now, just know that Overwatch is an incredible achievement in multiplayer game design, and one of the best games of the year so far.

RevenWolf

Now I do!

If you enjoy team based pvp, you will love this game regardless of lack of single player.

If you don't really enjoy multiplayer consider either passing on this game, or watching some videos and streams to see if it interests you! :)

While it's nice to go in blind, it's always a good idea to get a general idea of the gameplay in case it's something you're not a fan of.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Would PS4 be a viable purchase or is it going to fall behind in support compared to PC?

Would PS4 be a viable purchase or is it going to fall behind in support compared to PC?

Wait times for games on PS4 right now are less than 10 seconds. Combine that with great word of mouth and I don't see this game dropping off on PS4 anytime soon.

It also helps it's a great port and 60fps with good controls.

They announced that they're going to do this with pretty much every game.
Besides that, this a multiplayer game so a "review in progress" is warranted.
A review in progress is fine. Many outlets have started going that route, and a bunch did it for this game. Assigning a score to a review in progress is still goofy as hell, and IGN is one of the only ones that I can think of dopey enough to do it.

Dominator

God I wish I cared about multiplayer only games. I get bored after an hour :(

I played the beta and the gameplay was absolutely fantastic but the boredom set in quickly. Just not for me, but I hope everyone enjoys. Seems like the next big thing.

Josman

A review in progress is fine. Many outlets have started going that route, and a bunch did it for this game. Assigning a score to a review in progress is still goofy as hell, and IGN is one of the only ones that I can think of dopey enough to do it.

It's incredibly idiotic and one of the reasons I think they're a joke.

That's a really good way to put it. This game definitely lacks the depth of a game like TF2 but is still a ton of fun for the first 15-20 hours.
what does TF2 have that gives it depth that Overwatch doesn't have? i haven't played TF2 but i've seen this position held by people and i'm curious.

Orayn

It's incredibly idiotic and one of the reasons I think they're a joke.

Why? Review in progress makes a lot of sense for anything with MMO/games-as-service elements, since the content, player base, metagame, and features all evolve over time.

what does TF2 have that gives it depth that Overwatch doesn't have? i haven't played TF2 but i've seen this position held by people and i'm curious.

I played about 500 hours of prop hunt mod alone. And another 200 hours of parkour fortress mod.

Those janky, user-made, not-fully-supported mods added more time for me than I have spent playing most games period.

nOoblet16

Finally a metacritic user saying the truth:
Li67fzw.jpg

The salt is real

666% serious, any FPS game that runs at less than 180 frames per second is literally unplayable
I'm not being serious at all

ahh, the good ol' "popular company game is bad and you are all sheep" review. and what the hell is with that "must pay to get what you need" line. they're selling colors not Heroes. overblown and ignorant review.
and also when he says "nothing like being shot as you run around corners" hopefully he isn't complaining about Widow's ultimate...

While I am all for laughing at the salt and hyperbole, he does have two fair points:

1) Lack of official ultra widescreen support.
2) Tick Rate. A tick rate of 20hz is actually quite awful, especially when you realise that other competitive FPS have a tick rate that's 3-5 times higher than Overwatch. his complaint about "being shot around corner" might actually be due to the tick rate than his competence like you are suggesting.

This is the kind of difference we are talking about here.
u71sjxj.jpg

GamesRadar - Review in Progress
What you're reading now is our review-in-progress, as I'll be putting the at-launch matchmaking and latency through their paces over the coming week. But having played plenty of the closed and open betas before launch, I can tell you this: If you like multiplayer shooters even a little bit, especially when played with friends, you're going to have a good time with Overwatch.

nillah

Banned
God I wish I cared about multiplayer only games. I get bored after an hour :(

I played the beta and the gameplay was absolutely fantastic but the boredom set in quickly. Just not for me, but I hope everyone enjoys. Seems like the next big thing.
Good, seems like the perfect pick ^ and play than :)

Why is this game geting free pass?
Full price multiplayer only game with balance problems.
Titanfall, sfv, sw battlefront was massacred...

Because we're getting a titanfall 2/sw battlefront 2. We're only getting one overwatch in any foreseeable future. Future content updates will be free. instead of sequels killing off previous player bases and old maps being abandoned overwatch will simply add more content.

Because we're getting a titanfall 2/sw battlefront 2. We're only getting one overwatch in any foreseeable future. Future content updates will be free. instead of sequels killing off previous player bases and old maps being abandoned overwatch will simply add more content.
Didn't really think of this, but that does make a big difference actually.

jediyoshi

Why is this game geting free pass?
Full price multiplayer only game with balance problems.
Titanfall, sfv, sw battlefront was massacred...

What are these games without balance problems? Is "balance problem" here a binary or are you actually taking into account some kind of severity?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So a game with problems at launch (meaning you could only play the shitty tutorial) gets a perfect score even with only 12 maps. Pretty sad if you ask me. There's no way Overwatch is a perfect score, even if you love MOBAs/FPS games. The lack of game modes isn't important to people in 2016? It's either capture a zone or push a payload to various checkpoints. That innovation!

I agree the game feels good and the heroes are cool. But it's not perfect.
You should probably email them.

Don't hate me D:

Gxgear

Overly generous so far by the critics given how content-lite the game is on release. 2 game modes with no option to customize queue options (unless you field 2 full team for custom game) for a multiplayer game is inexcusable. Yes I know the game is fun as hell, but that shouldn't be the only criteria for evaluating a game.

While I am all for laughing at the salt and hyperbole, he does have two fair points:

2) Tick Rate. A tick rate of 20hz is actually quite awful, especially when you realise that other competitive FPS have a tick rate that's 3-5 times higher than Overwatch. his complaint about "being shot around corner" might actually be due to the tick rate than his competence like you are suggesting.

This is the kind of difference we are talking about here
Ah. well i play on PS4 so the first point doesn't apply to me. but the tick rate is a small travesty. had no idea it was 20hz. makes the "corner" argument a lot more sense. perhaps they can improve it post launch like Dice did with Battlefield 4.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

This is the kind of difference we are talking about here.
u71sjxj.jpg

Correct. This is a valid concern. Coupled with their choice of "trust the client" hit detection it's going to continue to cause issues unless addressed.

ethomaz

Banned
Granted, this was at launch and seems to be fixed, but there were plenty of errors, just like most online-only games.

Seems like another Bioshock Infinite. Game will be praised for a while and real criticism might take a while, but I just don't get why this is getting perfect scores. Meanwhile, a game like GTA V which is 100% superior to Overwatch in about every way gets a 9/10 from Destructoid. I just don't get it.
While I liked a lot GTA V there is nothing 100% superior to Overwatch.

I can even say Overwatch is more fun to play.

I would say the weapons that they have added for each class allow a player to really customize their play-style with the class they want to play as. Besides mastering the original weapons, the variations allows you hone in on game play aspects you really enjoy.

For example solider, Splash damage vs Precision vs Speed all with different rockets launchers, then you have some fun buff items that will boost team play. You can also do some dumb combos like rocket jumping with the stomp boots that lets you take zero damage on rocket launching and instantly kill any enemy you land on.

I like Overwatch they simplified a lot of things for the better, but there is something missing from the game perhaps i have not discovered any of the high level game play yet.

Top Bottom