• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OWS shuts down Oakland port. 150 workers sent home without pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

OWS protests
Bosses send home workers without pay
Everyone blames OWS

Bosses: /trollface

However I'm also in the camp that considers anything above 100k a year to be rich. I know gaborn posted the 300 something k number but I don't consider it that at all.

Slayven

Most Americans just don't like protests period.
Many (many others are still very skeptical about their leaders, mind you) have officially become mindless puppets against their own interest. It seem that this is possible even without a totalitarian regime.

That's the feeling I'm getting from the US reactions all over the Internet. There was a 10.000+ rally against poverty here last week (organized by the left opposition) and nobody complained because well, POVERTY IS BAD.

Most Americans are against stupidly done protest. There are hundreds of rally's taking place every weekend across the country.

FyreWulff

Well I'm thinking of the guy in the truck who isn't being paid - if he IS in a union, he really ought to take up this issue of not being paid due to circumstances beyond his control. I don't know any union workers who have to deal with that.

Nobody I know of and myself have never been in a union where you paid when a strike is going on.

However I'm also in the camp that considers anything above 100k a year to be rich. I know gaborn posted the 300 something k number but I don't consider it that at all.

It would greatly depend on where you live, the cost of living greatly varies so a blanket number really is not appropriate. 100k in some places in the US is in no way "rich"

OWS protests
Bosses send home workers without pay
Everyone blames OWS

Bosses: /trollface

If somebody got hurt, who do you think is going to have to pay legal damages? What's the "Man" supposed to do? Carry on business as usual and wait for some shit to go down?

Gaborn

It would greatly depend on where you live, the cost of living greatly varies so a blanket number really is not appropriate. 100k in some places in the US is in no way "rich"

But OWS is a national movement and I don't see the problem with using the actual, you know, figure for the top 1%. If you claim to speak for the 99% then you should own it. the 99% includes anyone below $385k in yearly income.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If somebody got hurt, who do you think is going to have to pay legal damages? What's the "Man" supposed to do? Carry on business as usual and wait for some shit to go down?

the port workers actually. They're classified as independent contractors. Every expense is either deducted from their paycheck or up to them. Fuel, lease, repairs, etc. And they're paid by the load, not by the hour. If they're stuck in traffic they don't get paid. They don't even get restroom facilities at the ports from what it sounds like.

I guarantee you the executives are paid by the hour or salaried though.

Binabik15

But OWS is a national movement and I don't see the problem with using the actual, you know, figure for the top 1%. If you claim to speak for the 99% then you should own it. the 99% includes anyone below $385k in yearly income.

Question: how do you arrive at the 385k figure? Because searching the web gives me this:

Washington Post said:
Taken literally, the top 1 percent of American households had a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010 — a figure that includes wages, government transfers and money from capital gains, dividends and other investment income.

That number is down from peak of $646,195 in 2007, before the economic crisis hit, all adjusted to 2011 dollars, according to calculations by the Tax Policy Center. By contrast, the bottom 60 percent earned a maximum of $59,154 in 2010, the bottom 40 percent earned a max of $33,870, while the bottom 20 percent earned just $16,961 at maximum.

When you look at the disparity in net worth, things look even more skewed. Wealthier Americans have assets — in home equity, stocks and other investments — that generally outstrip their cash income. Average wealth of the top 1 percent was almost $14 million in 2009, according to a 2011 report from the Economic Policy Institute. That’s down from a peak of $19.2 million in 2007.

Are you using pure income figures? Just curious. The actual wealth concentrated in the upper few percents are much more of a problem than just income differences, IMO.

As a foreigner, I only get occasional OWS news in my regular news ("real" news), so Iknow of it mostly by GAF news. I get the feeling that most people, even here on GAF, which is full of young, educated people, love to hate on it. Is it just the lack of a coherent message? Because many make comments that boil down to "lulz, stupid Iphone hippie brats".

I'm always suprised by this reactions. Here (Germany) people protest all the time and yes, other people often are suffering to a certain degree. Especially bad: Bahnstreik=people being late for work or school or stuck at train stations. People grumble, but the vitriol or pure hate the OWS people seem to inspire isn't there. Is this a symptom of the divided two party "Us vs THEM" mentality that seems so ingrained in everything related to political or economic discourse in the US?

Because honestly, the protests seem very unfocused and there's not one single message besides "We're angry", but that's a pretty big statement on its own.

In this particular case, yes, the workers won't get paid, but if the article about their financial situation and work practice are correct something needs to be done. The goal here seems to be, well, targeting the business of Wall Street companies, not to annoy the people working there. Seems reasonable and in tune with this whole OWS thing.

Occupy organizer Kari Koch in Portland says that their action is aimed at disrupting business as usual for "Wall Street on the waterfront." In particular, they are targeting EGT (Export Grain Terminal) and Goldman Sachs. EGT is part of a multinational conglomerate, and the company is engaged a labor struggle with the International Warehouse and Longshore Union in Longview, Wash., and Goldman Sachs, much maligned for its shady business dealings, which were part of the economic collapse, owns half of SSA Marine, which operates four terminals at the Port of Long Beach and also owns the trucking company Shippers Transport Express (more on them below).

No idea how reliable alternet is and I don't care enough to google GS ownership of shipping companies, so take it with salt.

I'm watching tv, so I won't paragraph this nicely, but maybe someone understands my rambling and can answers some of my questions.

I don't understand this in the least. So it really should be a Bastille situation. We don't protest against the ' % 1 ' because they're beyond rich and happen to fit within this bracket , the % 1 is simply a statistical metaphor (what!) for the gains gained by the aristocracy for the past 3 decades at the expense of the actual human beings in the country as well as the wider global society.

Hence the %99 contra %1 simplicity that's used as a symbolic term that spreads simply to aristocracy (my broad terminology for those who own the majority of wealth and assets in the country) who use that power to increase it beyond simply their place in the market/community.

Because ultimately; I see the actual social/human basis and aim of capitalism as an efficient means of moving goods and wealth to the most amount of people possible using the competitive nature as a tool, rather than crony capitalism where a landed gentry of corporatist hold, manipulate and solidify their power and effectively kill the concept of a free market more than a state economy can.

Gaborn

Question: how do you arrive at the 385k figure? Because searching the web gives me this:

Are you using pure income figures? Just curious. The actual wealth concentrated in the upper few percents are much more of a problem than just income differences, IMO.

As a foreigner, I only get occasional OWS news in my regular news ("real" news), so Iknow of it mostly by GAF news. I get the feeling that most people, even here on GAF, which is full of young, educated people, love to hate on it. Is it just the lack of a coherent message? Because many make comments that boil down to "lulz, stupid Iphone hippie brats".

I'm always suprised by this reactions. Here (Germany) people protest all the time and yes, other people often are suffering to a certain degree. Especially bad: Bahnstreik=people being late for work or school or stuck at train stations. People grumble, but the vitriol or pure hate the OWS people seem to inspire isn't there. Is this a symptom of the divided two party "Us vs THEM" mentality that seems so ingrained in everything related to political or economic discourse in the US?

Because honestly, the protests seem very unfocused and there's not one single message besides "We're angry", but that's a pretty big statement on its own.

In this particular case, yes, the workers won't get paid, but if the article about their financial situation and work practice are correct something needs to be done. The goal here seems to be, well, targeting the business of Wall Street companies, not to annoy the people working there. Seems reasonable and in tune with this whole OWS thing.

No idea how reliable alternet is and I don't care enough to google GS ownership of shipping companies, so take it with salt.

I'm watching tv, so I won't paragraph this nicely, but maybe someone understands my rambling and can answers some of my questions.

The WaPo figure was for HOUSEHOLDS. The combined income of a lot of married couples is usually quite above the average of 1% of individuals. It doesn't make sense to talk in terms of "1% of households" the issue is "1% of individuals make this much in a year"

and the figure is $380,354, according to this guy that quotes the IRS also according to this Daily Kos article

EDIT: Ahhhh, OFFICIAL IRS STATS

I don't understand this in the least. So it really should be a Bastille situation. We don't protest against the ' % 1 ' because they're beyond rich and happen to fit within this bracket , the % 1 is simply a statistical metaphor (what!) for the gains gained by the aristocracy for the past 3 decades at the expense of the actual human beings in the country as well as the wider global society.

Hence the %99 contra %1 simplicity that's used as a symbolic term that spreads simply to aristocracy (my broad terminology for those who own the majority of wealth and assets in the country) who use that power to increase it beyond simply their place in the market/community.

Because ultimately; I see the actual social/human basis and aim of capitalism as an efficient means of moving goods and wealth to the most amount of people possible using the competitive nature as a tool, rather than crony capitalism where a landed gentry of corporatist hold, manipulate and solidify their power and effectively kill the concept of a free market more than a state economy can.

Completely meaningless clap trap. It simply should be pointed out that this is NOT about the "1%" this is about a bunch of out of work people disrupting the lives of people who wanted to go to work and earn a living (well, except for the idiots who wrote that letter but who knows how representative they were of anyone)

Completely meaningless clap trap. It simply should be pointed out that this is NOT about the "1%" this is about a bunch of out of work people disrupting the lives of people who wanted to go to work and earn a living (well, except for the idiots who wrote that letter but who knows how representative they were of anyone)
Wasn't the letter drafted by 5 people elected by a huge group of affected workers about this? How does the letter have less weight than the one guy quoted in the article about how it negatively affected him?

Gaborn

]Wasn't the letter drafted by 5 people elected by a huge group of affected workers about this?[/B] How does the letter have less weight than the one guy quoted in the article about how it negatively affected him?

How huge? How do we know this? They're not unionized, they're not actually formally organized. How do we know this isn't 5 random people that got together and decided to claim broader support?

Edit: well, for accuracy's sake they ARE unionized, but the union is NOT supporting the actions at the port.

How huge? How do we know this? They're not unionized, they're not actually formally organized. How do we know this isn't 5 random people that got together and decided to claim broader support?
How small is it? What reason do we have to believe that this isn't a valid response by many workers involved? The article in the OP made it seem that some people were upset but there was still support among some workers. The letter helps to shows why some would support the protests.

Edit: Instead of support I really mean sympethetic.

Joates

Banned
Bunch of misguided morons...

Exactly how I feel

Ironic, considering your views on taxation...

Guess you aren't familiar with Joates' argument style. Check the marijuana news threads.

Thank god for the ignore list, eh?

Its hilarious how much conservatives viewpoints are alike on both subjects.

"Theres nothing wrong with the current system, if you dont like it, fuck you!
and in neither case will we even remotely address the underlying issues
"

Gaborn

How small is it? What reason do we have to believe that this isn't a valid response by many workers involved? The article in the OP made it seem that some people were upset but there was still support among some workers. The letter helps to shows why some would support the protests.

Edit: Instead of support I really mean sympethetic.

I can't measure the sympathy of longshoremen. We don't have any data that suggests their sympathy, we just have a single letter signed by 5 individuals - and a union, which supposedly represents them, condemning the port closure.

I mean, sure, of course some longshoremen are sympathetic. Do we know if it's 5 people or 50 workers? No. We only know that 150 people will not be paid for that day because of them. Seems pretty arrogant of OWS to do that in light of that.

I can't measure the sympathy of longshoremen. We don't have any data that suggests their sympathy, we just have a single letter signed by 5 individuals - and a union, which supposedly represents them, condemning the port closure.

I mean, sure, of course some longshoremen are sympathetic. Do we know if it's 5 people or 50 workers? No. We only know that 150 people will not be paid for that day because of them. Seems pretty arrogant of OWS to do that in light of that.
The letter also supposedly represents them as the signers were supposedly democratically elected to write it, though I agree that the unions stance carries more legitimacy. I'm not saying 145 of the workers agree with the letter, I'm just saying that I don't believe that 145 are cleary against the protest. We shouldn't condemn the whole protest until we know more fully the positions of OWS on why they specifically chose this as well as what the various workers unions say about it.

I do believe that OWS is walking a tight rope here in terms of favorability from the public on this move. Because it is such a dangerous move I think we should at least give OWS the benefit of doubt and let them (as well the Longshore Union and the truckers union) explain their nuanced stance rather then rush to condemn OWS.

Dartastic

OWS protests are a failure due to a lack of leadership. I know they wanted it that way, but it just didn't help them. It hurt. Bad. "Let's go block a port!!"....um, no....
At first it wasn't necessarily a problem, but as the initial protests got shut down it definitely became an issue. While I wouldn't call them failures, they now feel aimless, midguided, and almost a bit too radical for certain tastes. They need to focus on issues that everyone should be able to get behind clearly, such as their initial cause.

Cat Party

I can't get over the fact that OWS is claiming to be in solidarity with Unions. It is a massive hypocrisy. Unions throw around campaign cash the same way corporations do. They can make or break some candidates in the same way the so-called one percent can. I keep hearing from people that one of the biggest parts of OWS is to get corporate money out of politics. I agree that that is a great goal, but you can't do that and still let Unions throw their money around. All or nothing, or else we're picking sides.

Gaborn

The letter also supposedly represents them as the signers were supposedly democratically elected to write it, though I agree that the unions stance carries more legitimacy. I'm not saying 145 of the workers agree with the letter, I'm just saying that I don't believe that 145 are cleary against the protest. We shouldn't condemn the whole protest until we know more fully the positions of OWS on why they specifically chose this as well as what the various workers unions say about it.

I do believe that OWS is walking a tight rope here in terms of favorability from the public on this move. Because it is such a dangerous move I think we should at least give OWS the benefit of doubt and let them (as well the Longshore Union and the truckers union) explain their nuanced stance rather then rush to condemn OWS.

5,000 people democratically elected me to write this post. You know it because I'm posting it and making the claim.

Kapura

Banned
This is kind of exposing the fraudulence of the ideals that many of the protesters claim to uphold. I'm seeing a lot more people taking the positions that I've always upheld (lack of leadership, lack of message, lack of understanding of any of the systems) because of this fiasco. Maybe if occupiers get there shit together they can get shit done, but the honeymoon period is over. They've got to step up or step out.

Your pants are on fire dude.

"We have been elected by committees of our co-workers at the Ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Seattle, Tacoma, New York and New Jersey to tell our collective story."

This letter was posted on The Coalition for Clean and Safe Ports website:

"The Coalition for Clean & Safe Ports is a unique partnership of environmental, public health, community, labor, faith, business, civil rights, and environmental justice organizations that promote sustainable economic development at ports coast to coast to make the port trucking system a less polluting, more competitive generator of good quality jobs for residents, workers and business alike. We are over 150 organizations strong nationwide.

1. Alameda Labor Council, AFL-CIO

6. Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance, AFL-CIO

67. Long Island Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO

70. Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO"​

I'm sure anybody can just post letters on their website like a message board, right? The letter is backed by a huge number of union members.

The fact that most unions have negotiated away their right to strike is a relevant piece of information that isn't mentioned. Most unions can't support shut downs like this anymore because it would be a violation of their contracts - perhaps the best evidence as to why this action was needed. From your own link:

Shutdown supporters say they're not asking longshoremen to organize a work stoppage in violation of their contract but simply are asking them to exercise their free speech rights and stay off the job, in keeping with the union's historic tradition of activism.

Nuanced stanch? People say OWS would be hobbled by having a straightforward message.

I noticed you haven't added the article RDreamer's posted to the OP. You started this thread claiming that OWS was shutting down the ports - seemingly for no reason at all - which only hurt the working people OWS claims to represent. Now it comes out that the shut down is intended to protest the abuse and exploitation of said workers, impacting the purse strings of the corporations who employ them, and that many of workers and unions have expressed qualified support for the shut down. Do you care about having an honest discussion at all?

Pristine_Condition said:
Who elected those CEOs? Share holders. The 1%.
You think "shareholders" are "the 1%?"

LOL

To be fair, the ones that actually have enough shares to impact the vote, probably are in the 1%.

You mean like the MASSIVE funds for public employees like state teachers' pension funds, and labor union-owned funds?

Wikipedia said:
Pension funds are important shareholders of listed and private companies. They are especially important to the stock market where large institutional investors dominate. The largest 300 pension funds collectively hold about $6 trillion in assets.[1]

In January 2008, The Economist reported that Morgan Stanley estimates that pension funds worldwide hold over US$20 trillion in assets, the largest for any category of investor ahead of mutual funds, insurance companies, currency reserves, sovereign wealth funds, hedge funds, or private equity. [2]

Yeah... "1%" my ass.

Oppo

Nobody I know of and myself have never been in a union where you paid when a strike is going on.

Yes, every one of them got some kind of strike pay.

Gaborn - do you really believe that any time off should not be paid? Those workers did show up, after all.

FyreWulff

Yes, every one of them got some kind of strike pay.

Nope, still charged dues during strikes and after jobs ended.

"Oh, we'll find work for you!"

*house payments fall behind*

*have to take non-union job to keep family from going homeless*

They're clubs that you pay a monthly fee to work a job, the modern union doesn't give a shit about workers.

Oppo

Nope, still charged dues during strikes and after jobs ended.

"Oh, we'll find work for you!"

*house payments fall behind*

*have to take non-union job to keep family from going homeless*

The strike pay is part of the dues typically. But I am speaking from a Canadian stance, maybe it's different in the states?

FyreWulff

The strike pay is part of the dues typically. But I am speaking from a Canadian stance, maybe it's different in the states?

Maybe Canada has better laws. There was a union I couldn't join even though I had the money to pay dues because they feared that they'd lose their no co-pay health insurance if they let the part timers join. The part timers did everything the full timers did except without the ability to touch the register, and were capped at 32 hours a week instead of 40.

My stepdad worked for an operators union. The job ended, they promised him a new one immediately, and got bumped out of it by one of the leader's son. They continued to charge him dues and were utterly failing to get him a job, so he had to take a trucking job just to keep from losing the house. He loses his job recently and calls them up, and they wanted 700$ in back dues before they'd even talk about finding a job site for him. Because they kept charging him dues while continually calling and saying they hadn't found anything for him yet. And even if he paid up there was no guarantee they'd have a job waiting.

He eventually quickly found another truck job.

I'm not really amused by unions in the slightest, if you can tell.

Oppo

Maybe Canada has better laws. There was a union I couldn't join even though I had the money to pay dues because they feared that they'd lose their no co-pay health insurance if they let the part timers join. The part timers did everything the full timers did except without the ability to touch the register, and were capped at 32 hours a week instead of 40.

My stepdad worked for an operators union. The job ended, they promised him a new one immediately, and got bumped out of it by one of the leader's son. They continued to charge him dues and were utterly failing to get him a job, so he had to take a trucking job just to keep from losing the house. He loses his job recently and calls them up, and they wanted 700$ in back dues before they'd even talk about finding a job site for him. Because they kept charging him dues while continually calling and saying they hadn't found anything for him yet. And even if he paid up there was no guarantee they'd have a job waiting.

He eventually quickly found another truck job.

I'm not really amused by unions in the slightest, if you can tell.

You know, you actually summed up some great examples of the problems I have with how unions are run. I am not unequivocally supportive. I've seen unions take some of the most breathtakingly stupid actions in my life.

When we are speaking of hypotheticals, I like the symmetry of the corporate/executive side having one voice and the workers having another voice. Although it seldom works out as a proper counterbalance, I do support the idea of the working "class" having some kind of direct say and leverage in how they are compensated, and the general ongoing welfare of their labour relationship with the employer. Without that we have a Dickens novel. At the same time, the pendulum can swing both ways and I recognize that. When I read your anecdote I just feel myself muttering "such bullshit" in empathy with your story.

That is why I feel that the statement released By the drivers (linked up the thread) was so remarkable. It's easy for each of us to let our personal experiences color our opinion without considering (or at least attempting to consider) the gestalt.

Myself, I have never had a union job. I've never taken unemployment payments. I live exclusively in a Darwinistic freelance capacity at the moment. And I've seen certain union situations that make me gag with the injustice of how they are handled. But in a vain attempt to circle this back to the topic at hand, I think reflecting ire back at the Occupy protesters in this situation is sort of like blaming some symptoms for the flu. The actual paper crime is just so vast. And of course the knee jerk reaction is to say, way to go OWS, you just hit the hand that helps you, but I don't think this is even remotely the sentiment "on the ground", especially going by that prepared letter.

(Sorry for the wall of text)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom