• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T. recreation on Unreal Engine 4.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A early access P.T Remake with many twists. Dive into the corridors of a haunted house where the most notorious crime in American history took place.

Early access: This is a early access build. Alot more levels will be added along with fixes during the early access.

Demo download

Shifty

Definitely a better use of Unreal's PBR tech than 90% of the 'xyz remade in UE4!' things that show up. Surprisingly convincing too, they're obviously putting a good deal of consideration into replicating the original.

And as someone who hovers more around the programming side of the engine, it's fascinating to see the process behind designing and laying out a high-detail environment like that. I didn't expect to see the BSP tool in there- my assumption was always that production-quality environment workflow would be done in 3DS Max or Maya, then imported as a static mesh. Neat.

Last edited:
P.T. is the whole game title. It stands for Playable Teaser and it was released simply as P.T. leaving it up to players to figure out the rest.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm about to jump on this right now. Thanks, OP!

DUANbmJWkAENYSL.jpg

Last edited:

DryvBy

Really similar in terms of graphics, how it controls, and the sounds that made P.T. eerie. The only thing I don't like is it's not polished. And they don't have the puzzles down yet.

dc3k

it's a recreation of a playable teaser? what playable teaser? i don't get it

Last edited:
Great for those who don't own a PS4 or bought a PS4 too late and missed out on the demo

What's the point really ? The game is never going to be made in that form so if someone is fan all they do is hurting themselves.
IMHO it's better to move on than constantly think about what could have been.

xviper

Pathetic

you either care that someone is taking his time to make this for PC players, or you don't
that's what makes it pathetic, PC players brag about how they can play all games and they claim they can emulate ps4 games( which they can't) and yet you see them making clones of PS4 exclusives, that's beyond pathetic to me

Shifty

that's what makes it pathetic, PC players brag about how they can play all games and they claim they can emulate ps4 games( which they can't) and yet you see them making clones of PS4 exclusives, that's beyond pathetic to me
For one, you're generalizing the entire PC userbase based on a small cross-section of misinformed individuals that think emulation tech is further along than it is.

Secondly, you're using that invalid assumption as a basis to form an argument that says "they aren't allowed to have this, therefore they shouldn't try to make their own". And why is that exactly? Because the business decisions that caused it to exist somehow render it sacred and inimitable?

And that's not even touching on how reductive it is to dismiss hours of creative work as 'pathetic'. Looks to me like you have a chip on your shoulder and are seeking a soapbox from which to broadcast it. Console warrior nonsense.

Last edited:

Sailent

Banned
For one, you're generalizing the entire PC userbase based on a small cross-section of misinformed individuals that think emulation tech is further along than it is.

Secondly, you're using that invalid assumption as a basis to form an argument that says "they aren't allowed to have this, therefore they shouldn't try to make their own". And why is that exactly? Because the business decisions that caused it to exist somehow render it sacred and inimitable?

And that's not even touching on how reductive it is to dismiss hours of creative work as 'pathetic'. Looks to me like you have a chip on your shoulder and are seeking a soapbox from which to broadcast it. Console warrior nonsense.

I was going to say something but you said it already.

Cheers.

Spazznid

You can tell who does and doesn't own a PS4 based off most of these replies. Delicious.
How? I love the idea, and I own a PS4, and I have P.T. Downloaded.

What if I didn't download P.T. when it was out, or perhaps didn't know about it till later? Now it's impossible to download for me on PS4, is it not? What if I have a PS4, but the P.T. Demo is only 1080p, and I'd like to go higher, or I want more than just 60 fps? People want things for many reasons...

fvng

What's the point really ? The game is never going to be made in that form so if someone is fan all they do is hurting themselves.

This is about recreating PT, not creating what silent hills could have been like.

OrionFalls

Can we try and keep the console war salt to a low, please? Let’s just admire the recreation for what it is; a recreation. It’s not trying to be Silent Hills, it’s trying to be P.T.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Reddit’s member ‘LinusPixel’ has also released a prototype version of a P.T. remake. LinusPixel is using a script to extract objects, sounds and models from the original P.T. In the latest version of this remake, he successfully datamined sounds, added lighting and improved the flashlight effect, and added the hallway model from PT.pkg.

Donwload link for another P.T. recreation

KamelRed

Neo Member
How? I love the idea, and I own a PS4, and I have P.T. Downloaded.

What if I didn't download P.T. when it was out, or perhaps didn't know about it till later? Now it's impossible to download for me on PS4, is it not? What if I have a PS4, but the P.T. Demo is only 1080p, and I'd like to go higher, or I want more than just 60 fps? People want things for many reasons...

I don't even know why you quoted me and the wrote that. It's pretty obvious you misunderstood me completely.

Filben

giphy.gif

It's now a PC gamers' thing.

Pejo

Interesting project. I thought P.T. was cool, but if it hadn't been limited there is zero chance this would be made today. It was a really cool concept, really good "gotcha!" moment, but does it really deserve all this treatment? Who knows.

I can definitely respect that they're taking their time to make everything look the part. Now if only they can nail the ambiance.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member

No one here is making such claims, nor is it intended to somehow pilfer an exclusive title. I think your agitation here is due to perspective. Think of it as keeping alive a super niche title that was made rarer still by being pulled from Sony's servers, never to be downloaded again. It is a curiosity, a trinket of video game history. There is no platform wars stuff here other than what you brought with you.

The point is this... P.T. is a great little gaming experience that can be played and enjoyed on it's own. The gameplay was never intended to be representative of the proposed Silent Hills game. Rather, it was a clever (and stealthy) way to announce the sequel, while paying homage to the ambiance and feel of the classic series, crafted by one of the top game designers of all time. The fact that Konami took a "scorched earth" approach to eradicating all mention of it ever existing only further enhanced its status to that of a cult classic.

Looks great, I'd bump up the Roughness texture on the ground material more though -- edge wear on things and skirts. Plus more decal dust breakups/differentiation between material specs.

The point is this... P.T. is a great little gaming experience that can be played and enjoyed on it's own. The gameplay was never intended to be representative of the proposed Silent Hills game. Rather, it was a clever (and stealthy) way to announce the sequel, while paying homage to the ambiance and feel of the classic series, crafted by one of the top game designers of all time. The fact that Konami took a "scorched earth" approach to eradicating all mention of it ever existing only further enhanced its status to that of a cult classic.

Ahh that makes sense now. I always assumed it was demo for next Silent Hill.

It was a neat little demo but people's fascination with it I think is misplaced, just because they can't play it. For the average player it's basically you running through the same hallway over and over again, getting bored, and walking away.

I'll never delete it though.

Top Bottom