• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pablo Hidalgo calls Star Wars fans "sh*tty *ssh*les" and "sh*theads" before locking Twitter account

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
After Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm, he approached Kathleen Kennedy about making his consulting role official which led to the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group (other members include Kiri Hart and Leland Chee), a group of Star Wars experts tasked with maintaining the canon of the franchise after its partial reboot in 2014. Their duties range from fact-checking dialogue, e.g. whether a certain character would really say a certain line or whether it makes sense in the universe's context, to keeping track of names and locations of planets as well as naming unnamed planets, characters and other entities as well as coordinating all stories in development.

lol

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The last remaining star wars fans probably are assholes though.
PH himself is the ultimate toxic fan here, calling other people shitheads and assholes. he is there representing the company and he chooses this kind of behavior. they set the example at the top, it's only hypocritical for him to complain about it when he does the same thing.

it's just stunning behavior. like can you imagine being a McDonald's manager and Tweeting "Many of our customers are fuckheads, this industry has always been shit" or if you worked at a car dealership and issued a PR statement saying the people who buy cars from you are idiots? lol you would be fired in an instant.

must be nice to have that media job security privilege. as long as he keeps punching down on the "correct" targets he can get away w it.

Last edited:

MisterHero

I watched those Mark Hamill Omaze charity videos again yesterday. He's such a wonderful guy and still has Luke's youthful snarky energy.

why is he so absent in the movies

WHY

#Phonepunk#

Banned
But these people need to remember who's paying to see their stuff.
indeed. it's the largest brand in the world. it's simply a matter of sample size at this point.

if you are targeting billions of people, some of those people are going to be bad people. the shitty thing is those who amplify the bad takes, then pretend it stands for everyone, or "most fans". or that it is a "brand specific problem". no it isn't. we see death threats and abusive social media in all walks of life, in all brands, every industry.

it's just that when you sell to literally billions of people, some of those billions will be nutcases. no doubt every media property has crazy fans. it seems like SW has the most people actively seeking out bad takes for misguided virtue signalling purposes because there are just a larger number of people involved in that.

Last edited:

plushyp

it's just stunning behavior. like can you imagine being a McDonald's manager and Tweeting "Many of our customers are fuckheads, this industry has always been shit" or if you worked at a car dealership and issued a PR statement saying the people who buy cars from you are idiots? lol you would be fired in an instant.

must be nice to have that media job security privilege. as long as he keeps punching down on the "correct" targets he can get away w it.
I don't get why PR people in media (including games) think they are above it all and can trash talk in an extremely unprofessional manner to their customers/audience like this. I'd love to see them pull off this juvenile behaviour in for example the healthcare industry when people aren't happy with a new policy or price increase in a drug.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't get why PR people in media (including games) think they are above it all and can trash talk in an extremely unprofessional manner to their customers/audience like this. I'd love to see them pull off this juvenile behaviour in for example the healthcare industry when people aren't happy with a new policy or price increase in a drug.

He's not a PR person.

Celebrities all have the " my account was hacked" jolly, so they feel free to shit talk to everyone, then pretending it was someone else writing

MisterHero

No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

As much aa fan rage is real, it too is a scapegoat for defenders that refuse to listen to problems with the sequels.

The only ones who have the ability to change the direction of the movie are the writers and owners of the property, so the fault*cough*responsibility will always be with them.

Imagine sitting on billions of dollars blaming people on Twitter for not liking your arthouse movie.

GreyHorace

This asshole was a fan who became a higher up at LucasFilm?

If that's the case he's a hypocritical sellout then. Cussing the fanbase he used to be a part of? How very brave of him... :messenger_unamused:

He's not a PR person.
Don't matter. If you identify yourself as a member of a company on your Twitter profile then anything you tweet will be considered part of the PR, whether intetional or not. In such circumstances, insulting your customer base is the height of idiocy and could cost you your job. Look at classic exanples such as Microsoft's Adam Orth or ArenaNet's Jessica Price.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Don't matter. If you identify yourself as a member of a company on your Twitter profile then anything you tweet will be considered part of the PR, whether intetional or not. In such circumstances, insulting your customer base is the height of idiocy and could cost you your job. Look at classic exanples such as Microsoft's Adam Orth or ArenaNet's Jessica Price.

Except Pablo never did that on his account. But people go after him because they know who he is.

He even declined to get his account verified because he didn't want the attention that brought.

The more I think of it, Twitter is a litmus test.

Smart people avoid it like the plague or post the most innocuous posts for business.

You get to see the real crazy from celebs who choose to interact with it.

We all need to come together and assume any celeb who uses Twitter as a platform for social commentary or lashing out on their fans is fucking nuts and to avoid from here on in.

Yeah I want to go back to celebs who show a sane face and not downright antagonistic. It speaks a lot that this feels like asking too much now.

Last edited:

GV82

Disney removed Rose Tico from Merch they discovered on Friday and the TLJ fans are having meltdowns 😬

whilst I don’t think she should have been bullied off social media that was shitty, the rest of the fans just didn’t like her character, I guess now they realised that no one wanted to buy Rose Merch.

Pablos is having a meltdown due to this I have no doubt.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Disney removed Rose Tico from Merch they discovered on Friday and the TLJ fans are having meltdowns 😬

whilst I don’t think she should have been bullied off social media that was shitty, the rest of the fans just didn’t like her character, I guess now they realised that no one wanted to buy Rose Merch.

Pablos is having a meltdown due to this I have no doubt.

It turned out she was added to merch later so it's just early merch that didnt have her. So all the bitching and attacks were completely unfounded like usual.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It turned out she was added to merch later so it's just early merch that didnt have her. So all the bitching and attacks were completely unfounded like usual.

And she wasn't even added late, they just didn't have the assets in time for the initial stuff:

But people are making up elaborate conspiracy theories to fuel their YouTube channels.

Silent Duck

just another day in despising your own audience

No way this will backfire.

rEj0b0S.gif

GV82

Typical. I didn’t know that thanks for the information

dionysus

Yaldog
So this guy's job is to literally stop dumb universe breaking, phsyics breaking, and logic breaking stuff like hyperspace can be used as a weapon. Bang up job bro.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

Lucas: "People don't want me to say this but.... Star Wars is a movie for 12 year olds"

lol

And he's right.

Who knew 40 year olds would treat a sci-fi movie with laser swords, ewoks, chewbacca, and the Millennium "Falcon" which are Earth animals, but based in a fictitious solar system(?) like it's holy grail films.

Not sure why so many adults took this movie franchise so serious like it's NASA space shuttle research.

It would be like our family which watched that TV series V back in 1985 serious about buying lizards and Marc Singer autographed photos by the pile.

Last edited:

John Day

Man if i was cashing in on the franchise i would just shut the fuck up and not even surf the net for 6 months.

Jesus really man, talk about burning bridges lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man if i was cashing in on the franchise i would just shut the fuck up and not even surf the net for 6 months.

Jesus really man, talk about burning bridges lol
Guy is probably sore he sold it off for "only $4 billion". Looking back, he probably could have got double.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
There are good Star Wars fans.
hear hear! i would say a vast majority. sure i have movies i think are dumb and movies i think are great, but i would never harass anybody involved in any of them. even though i think the Last Jedi is a piece of sh8t movie, i would still thank anybody involved in the making of it for doing a cool movie, cos i had a fine 2 hours or so for like $8, even if i was constantly thinking "damn this is the stupidest cartoon bs". honestly who gives a fuck what anyone thinks, u know? IMO Attack of the Clones is maybe my 3rd favorite film, but i see people constantly hate on it, and i don't really care about disproving people that hate on it. i have it for me, that's enough. we would be better off if people didn't care at all if others liked or agreed with them. everyone just be your own damn selves. really either u liked the movie or u didn't. respect dissent.

this stuff about toxic fans, if you aren't actively harassing people, then you can think however you want about the films. you aren't toxic. love em hate em just leave other people alone to think what they think about them. don't insinuate there is a problem with them or a mental illness if they don't share your liking for a space movie. don't personally attack people. it is easy to do, just talk about the movies themselves. if we are ever going to have gay space communism we will first have to agree to disagree on a stupid Star Wars movie. this is simple. yet Pablo here done did the opposite. he called people assholes. you can't do that. people take words out of context all the time, and if you are a public employee for a company, you represent them, u can't be shooting your mouth off. in this capitalist world u can't be dumb, u can't just say anything u want. words have consequences.

TL;DR: get off Twitter/social media and all your problems are solved.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
How do all employment contracts not expressly forbid any non-PR approved contact on Twitter at this point?

Whether or not I agree with that (hearing his voice for example, good or bad, continues to inform me), you’d think that big orgs with everything to lose, would have done this a long time ago.

Top Bottom