• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter expects Titanfall to sell between 6-10 million units

Sorry, but even with the PS3 and PS4 to sell on, it wouldn't have come close to 20 million, let alone over 20 million. 10 million is even pushing it across these platforms. Instead of selling all its copies on XB1 and 360 you'd mostly divide those sales with people who'd rather get it on PS4 and PS3. Add to it that its a new IP... can you name any new IP that sold anywhere close to 20 million across as many simultaneous platforms?

Honestly, ill be surprised if the game even reaches 6 million.

It was sarcasm :p personally i see Titanfall not being anywhere as successful as people make it out to be. Just my opinion though, and some slight saltiness :p

Yeah I agree for the most part.

Pachter's prediction has a big gap but I can't even begin guess where it'll land around.

I think if it were to launch today it would have really low numbers. 15% wouldn't be that far off. 1 in 6 xboxers sounds about right. I wonder how many know about it and what pre-order numbers are like.

We'll see what happens when the marketing, gameplay videos, and reviews come out and how much attention it gets. I think somewhere around 25% is what it will do initially

Darksol

I think PC version is going to outsell Xbox One. Xbox One does not have as many potential buyers as PC have right now.

My guess is: 70% (360) / 20% (PC) / 10% (XONE)

I could see that as well. Quite possible. I don't have any particular interest in the game, but if I did play it I'd probably go the PC route as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This game coming out for an extra platform that is fairly new, i see it crossing that definitely.

"Extra" platform is questionable. Realistically there will significant crossover between Xbone and 360 players, especially given the older platforms dominance in the markets most likely to be welcoming to a game like Titanfall. You can't assume that many people with both consoles will buy 2 sku's.

Sony are the ones who appear to have relatively improved their market/mind-share at this point, so there must be some doubt over how much Xbone has actually expanded MS audience, especially when a lot of early adopters are likely to be platform loyalists.

I dunno, even if it weren't a new IP it would still be doing well to achieve 100% attach rate on the XB1 install base which let's assume will be 5 million.

The game has not be marketed as a 360 game at all, and there's a huge amount of uncertainty about the 360 game, and I believe it's associated with the next gen console. So I can't imagine it performing particularly strong on the 360.

I really don't know. All I know is 10m is VERY strong. No one thought FUSE would do 5 million, so I feel it's just Pachter guessing sales numbers which he isn't brilliant at, because it's not that important to him.

Mrbob

I really do think that people assuming Destiny is going to crush Titanfall overestimate Halo's sales. Apples and oranges, but there are perspective fanbases attached to each developer.

Then again, Halo was an exclusive and CoD was multiplatform, now that's reversed. This will be an interesting year.

I believe the scenario is favorable for Destiny to crush TitanFall in sales. Like you mentioned, the game is multi platform. Bungie will sell a ton of copies on 360 and XB1, while Sony is going to advertise the game like crazy for PS3 and PS4. The only thing stopping this from happening is Destiny being a bad game and word getting around.

Pain

Banned
It's coming out for 360 as well, huge install base there already.
Titanfall will sell to the core gamers. It has little to no casual appeal at the moment. Where are the core gamers? On Xbox One. The Xbox One will sell the most or at least very very close to the 360 version.

2-2.5m Xbox One, 2-3m 360, 1-2m PC is my estimate.

Hawk269

I wonder what the platform split is for EA. Because certainly Xbox One is only going to have about 4 or 5 million consoles total by the time of release.

Well, I believe they think it will sell consoles as well, so that 4 to 5 million can go up really quick if there is such a big demand for the game. The game itself has a lot of hype going for it and the press in general seem to love it.

I am pretty sure that MS will have a Titanfall Bundle as well and that will also push units of the game.

If the game is any good, it will probably carry a good attach rate not only at launch, but with consoles sold going forward, so that it could be like Halo for original Xbox -- a game always in the platform top 5 until the sequel hits. If good, it will be a seller for quite some time. That's not to say it will be a significant driver of consoles, necessarily, because like Halo, it could be immensely popular on a platform that relatively isn't.

It's console exclusive to the Xbox platform.

So are Halo, Gears, CoD2, Mass Effect, and Left 4 Dead. Both L4D games sold >3 million on 360 alone. Both are more or less obligate multiplayer experiences, limited to 4 on 4 matches.

Being an Xbox console exclusive does not exclude a game from the possibility of selling 6 million copies. Hell, Minecraft was Xbox console exclusive and sold over 10 million in 2 years.

Top Bottom