• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Prediction: PS4 and Xbox 720 400$ or "99$ with subscription plan".

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lv4e9p/pach-attack--xbox-720---ps4-price-

In this latest edition of Pach-Attack, Pachter predicts that the PS4 and Xbox 720 could likely be 400$ and/or be 99$ with a subscription plan, similar to what Microsoft is doing with the 360.

He also says that if this does happen, the Wii U wouldn't be able to keep up with that kind of offer.

Not sure 400$ for the beast that the PS4 is going to be (if the rumors are to be believed) is gonna happen unless they sale at a huge loss. Same for the 360.

400$ entry point sounds about what I expect. If they launch at that price point ill be happy as a pig in fecal matter.

Durante

Not sure 400$ for the beast that the PS4 is going to be (if the rumors are to be believed) is gonna happen unless they sale at a huge loss. Same for the 360.
I haven't seen a single rumor that would lead one to believe that these consoles will be "beasts".

Pretty much in line with what the tech that's going to be in these machines.

They aren't going to be monsters, and they'll most likely rely on features like Kinect and move built in.

400$?
That's pretty cheap considering the 8-12Gigs and super CPU/GPUs that they might have.

I doubt either of the two console makers will go for a loss selling system, so the question is how much better they might be than the Wii U at $100 more ($150 if we assume the Wii U pad cost about $50).

jett

D-Member
The subscription plan is probably the smartest way to get around the machine's costs...which means everyone living outside of "big" countries is going to get fucked in the ass.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll see $300/$400 versions of each at launch. Not really sure how they'll get away with cheaper or higher than that.

Septimus

$399 and I'm in for either at day 1.

I stay away from financing since I don't like to worth about that kinda stuff.

Or...both! Its a finance option; not a pricing strategy.

If $400 includes a Kinect, I'm not sure how Microsoft won't sell this at a loss.

There will be a Kinect bundle but I think MS has gone from excited about Kinect to realising its pretty much flopped after a good launch. It won't be standard imo.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lv4e9p/pach-attack--xbox-720---ps4-price-

In this latest edition of Pach-Attack, Pachter predicts that the PS4 and Xbox 720 could likely be 400$ and/or be 99$ with a subscription plan, similar to what Microsoft is doing with the 360.

He also says that if this does happen, the Wii U wouldn't be able to keep up with that kind of offer.

I can't stop laughing at this

TriGen

I think the subscription thing will happen, but I predict closer to $500. Or there will be two SKUs, with one being $400, but the definitive one being $500, with sub options for both.

If $400 includes a Kinect, I'm not sure how Microsoft won't sell this at a loss.

The cheaper option, which is the "causal" pack, will definitely include the kinect 2.0, and if Microsoft won't be selling that machine at a loss, then I think people might have to temper their expectations power-wise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498008&highlight=amd

8GB is not beastly for a dedicated gaming console? (I know I can't just base this on the RAM alone, but if it's any indication of what the other specs will be like...)

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

It's not 8GB, it's 8-16Gb. In the devkit.

That's only 1-2GB, and might be halved as devkits usually have more memory than the final product.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's not 8GB, it's 8-16Gb. In the devkit.

That's only 1-2GB, and might be halved as devkits usually have more memory than the final product.

hmm? Typo?

half of 8-16GB is 4-8GB... which is... in line with expectations.

*edit*

Oh. You thought they were measuring in bits. This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post in that case. :p

AOC83

Banned
The cheaper option, which is the "causal" pack, will definitely include the kinect 2.0,

Why should they even include kinect from the get go? The kinect(casual) crowd hops on when the console is below 300 €/$ which wont be the case at the start and the early adaptors/core gamers sure as hell don´t need/want this shit. Same goes for Move.

Nostradamus lul

yea pachter

14910122.jpg

tkscz

So a console that's meant to have 4 - 8 gigs of RAM, super APU's and what not, is only going to cost $400? Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. I see about $499.99 and up, unless they lower the hardware or release in 2014.

Has Mr Pachter ever been right about anything?

Two things and that's it.

Eusis

Well, if THAT'S how they use the subscription plan then I can't be too offended by it, I just didn't want $600+ consoles made to look cheaper than they were, but I question how much trouble Nintendo will be in. Guess it depends on how eager people are to jump on Wii U without that option. And that's assuming there's no price drops, sounds like the period Nintendo makes a loss is VERY brief, so unless it actually is a repeat of the Wii I imagine they could hack off $50, maybe $100 at an extreme by the time the next consoles arrive.

AzaK

Dunno why everyone's so down on Pachter over this. It's not really out of the question that they will do a super cheap subscription version and a full version is it?

He might be off a bit in price, sure, but I'd say by no more than $50. If the $99 360 is doing well, then there's no reason it can't do well for a 720 maybe even at $150, especially if it's subsidised. The full price 720 I can see capping out at $4-450. Much more than that will be a hard sell. I just don't see it out of the realms of possibility that MS do something like this.

Now, whether that means Nintendo is left behind, I can't really say. A $99 720 does sound VERY attractive and if that took off, who knows, but then I just can't underestimate Nintendo's ability to sell hardware.

So a console that's meant to have 4 - 8 gigs of RAM, super APU's and what not, is only going to cost $400? Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. I see about $499.99 and up, unless they lower the hardware or release in 2014.

I'm telling you man, Sony will pull a Nintendo next-gen and release a Wii.

Sony is in no position to sink money into a beast console, and yes it is a money pit. Microsoft could, but I don't think their that stupid.

I hope this is true, but I won't get too excited when all we have to go on are rumors and predictions.
400$?
That's pretty cheap considering the 8-12Gigs and super CPU/GPUs that they might have.

I doubt either of the two console makers will go for a loss selling system, so the question is how much better they might be than the Wii U at $100 more ($150 if we assume the Wii U pad cost about $50).
They won't be packing ridiculous controllers that cost $80+. Also, if they have a subsription model they can make money back on that while making it easy for the "core" to buy consoles the regular way.

Pachinko

I agree with Pachter on the subscription idea but not quite on the price. Next box will do 1 major thing different - no hard drive in the box for any sku . Instead , well see solid state media like what is currently in many apple products. Probably a 16 GB model and a 32 or 64 GB model. Use a slim sized 360 drive if you want more space (perhaps a 1 TB HDD available seperatly ). Thanks to chopping out this expensive component I think you could see both a 400$ model and a 600$ model. Or you could buy them cellphone style for 199 and 299$ with a 3 year Xbox live + contract.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm telling you man, Sony will pull a Nintendo next-gen and release a Wii.

This would spell disaster for them. It only worked for Nintendo because they had a hook and people mostly only buy Nintendo games on their systems. But third parties would not be happy with this, and Sony can't support a system all by itself.

Base mode for PS4 and Nextbox is $400 and the deluxe model will be $500, i predict. There will be 2 sku´s and one of them will certainly be profitable.

Top Bottom