• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paedophile Rolf Harris is Dead

YCoCg

Some good news for a change, convicted paedophile Rolf Harris who has long overstayed his welcome has just died at age 93. He won't be didgeridooing himself anymore to young girls!

YCoCg

Never heard of the guy but if he's a pedophile he died 90 years too late.
He'd be more known to people in the UK and Ireland, he's one of them celebs from the 70's - 90's who was protected until the sting operation revealed him.

winjer

Gold Member
I knew about Jimmy Saville. I didn't know about this one.
Is the BBC some pedo infested nest?

nush

Is the BBC some pedo infested nest?

BBC light entertainment of the 70's and 80's sure was. I'm sure the only reason more of them were not exposed was because they already died.
R-C.be36cf72b176e81366b14adb715ac4e4

R-C.4bdc5f5e5d22b4115bbc6dead28fab01

winjer

Gold Member
BBC light entertainment of the 70's and 80's sure was. I'm sure the only reason more of them were not exposed was because they already died.
R-C.be36cf72b176e81366b14adb715ac4e4

R-C.4bdc5f5e5d22b4115bbc6dead28fab01

I know that the BBC direction hid Saville's pedo streak. That was the reason why people only found out after he died.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Wolf in zany sheep's clothing. At least he didn't get away with it, unlike Saville and no doubt countless others.

LordCBH

and then there's the MAP "rebranding" push...

I see these disgusting people outing themselves on Twitter all the time and my only thought is thanks for making the list making easy. Hope they all get arrested and led to the hangman’s noose.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That article just expressed to me how gullible collective society really is. Interview quotes talking about feeling cheated, or tricked, or like the emotions you have associated with said performer are false or damaged now.

It raises a lot of interesting potential for renewed conversation of concepts like "death of an author," and "separating artist from work," that last sprung up over the Rowling debacle. Granted, I'm not intending to specifically compare those two instances, since I think endangering children is far more common unfortunately than trans genocide or whatever.

But I'd argue that, at least in an entertainer-audience relationship, whatever Random Guy You'll Never Meet does in his free time, whether abhorrent or benevolent, it's usually immaterial to the work being offered. The usual example of "Hitler was an artist," applies. I'm not coming to the deceased guy's defense, child abuse dictates that he should have passed on several more yards of soil beneath where he ultimately did, but it does make you question...how many other beloved personalities have these kind of skeletons just barely buried in their closets?

Top Bottom