• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 5, 2013

Into

Majority of people do not follow game websites, forums or reviewers Twitter accounts. Enter the Matrix sold several millions as well

It likely sold because Aliens is a popular brand and people are familiar with it still to this day, Prometheus did really well at the box office worldwide, further showing that yeah people still remember and love the franchise

Kinda puts that whole Ni No Kuni at #1 thing into perspective.

Majority of people do not follow game websites, forums or reviewers Twitter accounts. Enter the Matrix sold several millions as well

It likely sold because Aliens is a popular brand and people are familiar with it still to this day, Prometheus did really well at the box office worldwide, further showing that yeah people still remember and love the franchise

Or nothing else is selling and games like Aliens can sell a few thousand and top the chart.

Bruno MB

There have only been 2 mayor releases this year, DmC: Devil May Cry and Dead Space 3. The first one flopped hard and the second one I suppose it did just fine. So I'm not surprised Aliens: Colonial Marines is the biggest debut of the year. Even crap like Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, another game from an established franchise, sold well.

AHA-Lambda

It's not really a surprise at the end of the day. The terrible reviews will definitely stump it's long term sales success though; this game will drop like a rock in the charts.

Saty

Of course it's a surprise. With all due resepct to the Aliens brand, licensed games have taken a big slide in sales this gen and pretty much everybody stopped doing them. So for CM to beat a sequel to a highly regarded series with similar theme\tone; then yes it's surprising.

And i'm really not sure how big a marketing push CM has compared to DS3.

madmackem

Not a surprise, its been on tv all weekend. Shooters sell, this was pretty hyped release to the average joe who doesnt live on the web and read reviews.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
Not a surprise, its been on tv all weekend. Shooters sell, this was pretty hyped release to the average joe who doesnt live on the web and read reviews.

Not to mention that any site selling the game that also shows trailers are mostly still showing bullshots and the "demo" as game footage. It's why I bought in before release albeit at $35 and not $60 but still.

Kikujiro

Not a surprise, even crap movies like the last Die Hard can be first at the box office, that doesn't mean it will be a success in the long run.

Didn't Duke Nukem Forever get the top spot too?

Not a surprise, even crap movies like the last Die Hard can be first at the box office, that doesn't mean it will be a success in the long run.

Didn't Duke Nukem Forever get the top spot too?

Yeah, I also think Homefront and Brink did too. The UK market is terrible, you can sell any kind of shit shooter but anything outside of that, except maybe FIFA and Zumba Fitness will probably bomb, lol. Ni no Kuni charting feels like some kind of miracle.

NNK should be between 25K-30K LTD in the UK based on this weeks drop and previous weeks estimates made earlier in the thread using FIFA.

AHA-Lambda

Of course it's a surprise. With all due resepct to the Aliens brand, licensed games have taken a big slide in sales this gen and pretty much everybody stopped doing them. So for CM to beat a sequel to a highly regarded series with similar theme\tone; then yes it's surprising.

And i'm really not sure how big a marketing push CM has compared to DS3.

Nah, don't agree. I was one of the few but I've been predicting for ages this game would sell moderately well, that was until the awful reviews came in.

Saty

Colonial Marines land at No1

18/Feb/2013

Sega’s ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’ (360/PS3/PC) debuts at No1 as the biggest new release of the year so far and is the second highest week 1 for an Alien franchise game, behind Sega’s own ‘Aliens vs Predator’ launched back in week 7, 2010 also on 360/PS3/PC.

Sega’s Aliens vs Predator’ is the highest grossing Aliens title at around £14m lifetime in the UK – previous best in this franchise is Acclaim’s ‘Alien Trilogy’ from 1996 (£10m) which was a massive PS1 seller, but was also released on Sega’s Saturn and on PC. EA’s ‘Dead Space 3’ drops to No2 (-57%) and EA’s ‘FIFA 13’ drops one place to No3 (+39%) although sales increase 39% over last week, a phenomenon that affects many top-selling titles this week with the start of half term holidays boosting sales.

Ubisoft’s ‘Assassin’s Creed III’ climbs 6 places to No6 (+50%) thanks to half term and some price promotion, whilst last week’s No6, Namco Bandai’s ‘Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch’ drops down to No25 (-59%). Warner re-enter at No29 thanks to ‘Super Scribblenauts’ on DS (+83%) which is currently amazing value at less than £5.

AvP sold really well and was actually decent, CM probably benefited from that. I don't know what EA was thinking with the Dead Space marketing, it looks like a commercial for Lost Planet 3.

DrWong

France week 6:

1 - COD : Black Ops 2 PS3 - Activision Blizzard
2 - Dead Space 3 - Edition limitée PS3 - Electronic Arts
3 - Dead Space 3 - Edition limitée XBox 360 - Electronic Arts
4 - FIFA 13 PS3 - Electronic Arts
5 - Dead Space 3 PS3 - Electronic Arts

Top Bottom