• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins reaches 8 million players mark

This is, looking at Steamspy:

EZtuD5K.png

...and taking the 'Player total' number as the correct one. As this is a F2P game, I think the 'owners' number can be too deceiving, lots of people can add it to his Steam account and in the end not play it.

Of course the 'players in the last 2 weeks' gives a more accurate look to the real size of the community, around 1,5M of regular players.

If you don't know, Paladins is a F2P 'hero shooter', in the same family as Overwatch, Gigantic,
Battleborn
, or LawBreakers.
If you want to know who copied who, the real answer is that the ones who announced their games first were Battleborn and Gigantic, so I suppose the rest are the copies? :p
not counting TF2 here

The game is in full expansion right now, there are 24 champions and I think they plan to introduce 10-11 more during 2017, as well new maps, etc.

It's a pretty fun game, it's some ways it can be very competitive with some abilities or champions that allow pretty high skill ceiling and coordination... while at the same time the hitboxes are super big so hitting dudes (and being hit) is easy, the shooting part is casual-ish.

Sakujou

Banned
wow, first time hearing about this game.
but on the other hand, all those mobile f2p games do habe more than 5mio plpayers, right?
even some unknown korean or chinese ones with hardly any translations are playing by 100k outside of the main countries....

sca2511

I really enjoy the game. I've been going on Paladins a lot and I feel the card + item buying system makes it pretty interesting. I even bought the founders pack to forget about the grind for new characters and cards

wow, first time hearing about this game.
but on the other hand, all those mobile f2p games do habe more than 5mio plpayers, right?
even some unknown korean or chinese ones with hardly any translations are playing by 100k outside of the main countries....

I don't know the mobile market, but there are many more people playing with smartphones than playing in computers, so the comparison isn't exactly useful.

If I filter by "f2p games" in Steamspy and order by number of owners, Paladins is number 8 on the list.

Paladins is bigger now than Rocket League for example, though of course RL isn't f2p.

Paertan

I really like it. Many times accused of being an Overwatch clone. They had the right ideas before Overwatch was announced but what they have copied after could be discussed forever.
There are differences between then enough for it to exist and some I like more than Overwatch. The only real advantage Overwatch have over Paladins are that more of my friends play Overwatch.

Hope they keep being successful becasue they deserve it.

sca2511

I really like it. Many times accused of being an Overwatch clone. They had the right ideas before Overwatch was announced but what they have copied after could be discussed forever.
There are differences between then enough for it to exist and some I like more than Overwatch. The only real advantage Overwatch have over Paladins are that more of my friends play Overwatch.

Hope they keep being successful becasue they deserve it.

I notice it's always compared to Overwatch at first glance. It's a bit different once you introduce the cards and items.

I notice it's always compared to Overwatch at first glance. It's a bit different once you introduce the cards and items.

The legendary cards + other cards + ingame items give a nice variety and strategy layer, yep. I also like their idea of the horse to reach the combat area quicker.

That said, I wish they would put BIG BOLD LETTERS to players under level 15 at the start of every march indicating they should buy Wrecker if the enemy team has some shield users and Cauterize if they have some healers.
Those two items are much more important than all the rest.

Hmm may have to give this a try,love Overwatch and have seen the comparisons,but the card system makes it stand out it seems

Love this game so much. It's just pure hero shooter fun with added customization with the cards and legendary cards. I don't play as much as I used to since I moved to the PS4 Closed Beta but I still play it from time to time when I feel like getting angry at a team while also having some fun. Congrats to HiRez on the insane amount of players.

Nev

Banned
How does that compare to Overwatch?

Not as polished obviously but the same fun, even more at times.

A lot of heroes are much more fun to play than Overwatch. For instance, healers in this game are not healbots, they can deal a lot of damage and are more fun and dynamic that the snorefest that is healing in Overwatch.

There are no characters as passive, braindead and utterly boring as Mercy or Lucio here. And the Mei counterpart is not a cancerigenous pos but a well-balanced tank.

Edit: oh you mean in terms of players. Not even remotely close to Overwatch is my guess.

By the way, Hi-Rez support on Smite means this will be an incredibly better and bigger game in a few months. They will absolutely deliver. How many heroes or balance patches has Blizzard released in one year? 3 heroes? Paladins is at 5 new champions, new prototype maps each patch and balance patches every two weeks in half a year.

Rafus

Good for them!

Is there any good gameplay to show of this game? Everything I saw at the launching looked a bit.. boring? Maybe because people didn't know how to play it.

I was at a coffee shop yesterday and the baristas were talking about "that overwatch ripoff Paladins." I found it amusing for a few reasons.

Edit:
They have setup the PC to console stuff right? Is it like Smite or like Paragon?

Yukinari

The little ive played of it was alright but i think ive learned my lesson with Hi-Rez games.

This clearly is a success for them but im waiting to see how they fuck it up.

BigDug13

The little ive played of it was alright but i think ive learned my lesson with Hi-Rez games.

This clearly is a success for them but im waiting to see how they fuck it up.

Didn't they recently release a big pay-to-win change/addition? It got a huge negative thread on here so I'm surprised to see so much praise for the game still.

So is the console version of this ever going to actually come out? I keep seeing trailers and posts about how this coming out on the PS4 and still no release date in sight.

Johndoey

Banned
So is the console version of this ever going to actually come out? I keep seeing trailers and posts about how this coming out on the PS4 and still no release date in sight.

Beta's been running on PS4 and Xbone for a little bit now. I think they have the whole buy-in pack thing running. Pay like 12 bucks get instant access.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Didn't they recently release a big pay-to-win change/addition? It got a huge negative thread on here so I'm surprised to see so much praise for the game still.

Nah they just changed how progression works with regards to card unlocks, but it's not a pay to win situation, really as it ultimately comes down to skill more so than which cards you have in your deck. I think the change was ultimately for the better as they took some of the more OP cards, made them a bit better and renamed them Legendary or w/e and you can only have one of each per card-deck.

Cards essentially provide you with passive buffs to your abilities or how damage is calculated etc, like Evie can use a teleport, one of her Legendary cards lets you hit Q within a 4 second period to teleport back to your starting position. Or another of hers allows her to fully heal while encased in an iceblock. Before the change you could essentially have both of those (but less effective) at the same time.

Well this proves definitely that Overwatch didn't kill Battleborn....

Yes it did, Overwatch killed Battleborn because Overwatch came from Blizzard, a very highly regarded company while Battleborn came from Gearbox, literally the most hated company in gaming which both launched at the same time competing for the same players money, if Battleborn came from a diff developer at a different time with a different price structure it would have seen just as much success as Paladins.

Battleborn killed battleborn imo. It didn't generate enough hype, especially after the bad preview experience, and while the comparisons didn't help it, it's had enough time to stand on it's own legs which it hasn't.

Anyway, Paladins is a great game. The "early" comparisons to Overwatch were pathetic fanboy attempts at shooting down a "rival" game. I say "early" because by the time paladins hit steam it had already been a publicly available game some 6+ months before OW released. And I say "rival" because some people act like they're personally invested and are threatened by other games.

Personally, I played OW in cb + bought day 1. Also bought into paladins closed beta early on. Hundreds of hours in both games. Both do some things better than the other. Paladins continues to add unique champions at a fast pace.

I just want to point out paladins gets a new champion every month, often 2. Usually they've been getting 2 major updates a month. I haven't been keeping up since lex released a week or two ago. Apparently there is a new patch preview this friday so probably like a week and a half until that hits. Paladins does constant updates like this to keep people coming back for more.

They rectified a bit later, with two successive adjustments, making it less of a problem. Although the grind will eventually appear after 8 months or so, when people have spent all the essence resources they have accumulated for now.

That update was blown way out of proportion, especially in terms of f2p or not. But yeah, they did pretty much fix everyone's concerns very quickly. And they continued to address the community's concerns, for example you can dust cards you don't want.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yes it did, Overwatch killed Battleborn because Overwatch came from Blizzard, a very highly regarded company while Battleborn came from Gearbox, literally the most hated company in gaming which both launched at the same time competing for the same players money, if Battleborn came from a diff developer at a different time with a different price structure it would have seen just as much success as Paladins.

Nah, it was all Gearbox. They didn't need Blizzard to kill it off :p

Well being a paid moba killed Battleborn.

i'd say that it was a combination of:
1) being a paid moba during overwatch launch
2) having a character design too much all over the place.. some characters are fine, if a bit too particular, but others... not so much...
3) later putting paid dlc for a moba that promised "you pay, you get everything"...

not that it didn't have pros..
1) the gear system was interesting..
2) the ability//leveling system was a VERY nice touch
3) unlocking aspect//stuff via in-game challenge was a step in the right direction..
4) the scenario coop mode is (was) ton of fun!

i own paladin too, but have had little chance to play it..
as for battleborn, i regret paying 35 eur for it because now there are no players and the game is basically dead, but i don't regret the hours spent with it :)

i mean the moba genre and hybrid on that formula are having a blast..
look at smite for example :)

Well being a paid moba killed Battleborn.

I never agreed with that line of thinking.

First, Battleborn wasn't a 100% moba, more like... 40%?

And there are F2P shooters like the one in this thread, but that doesn't mean online shooters can't have success in the paid market.

There are good and famous f2p online coop games like Warframe, but games like Destiny or The division were also very successful.

So the problems with Battleborn were their own. Like
1. bad marketing campaign
2. art style disliked by a good amount of people
3. too complex gamemode for mainstream gamers, full of details, and people weren't familiar with the concepts
4. lack of decent tutorial
5. Clunky gunplay with high ttk

I remember some people whining about lack of content for a $60 game, but I think it had more content than Overwatch at launch, which shows it's about if the game seems fun, have mainstream appeal, and it's polished.

sca2511

There was a big issue with a recent change that added another in-game currency, Essence. It made the grind really long when trying to obtain cards and characters. They fixed the problem a patch or two later.

HiRez released a few YouTube videos that help explain in-game items, class roles, specific champions.
A couple of items:
Resilience
Haven

Top Bottom