• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palestinians 'made millions' selling cheap cement for barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07/25/wmid25.xml

Palestinian businessmen have made millions of pounds supplying cement for Israel's "security barrier" in the full knowledge of Yasser Arafat, the Palestinian leader and one of the wall's most vocal critics.

Arafat:" OPPOSE THIS AGGRESSION BY THE EVIL ZIONISTS!!"
Aide: " so you want this check in the swiss or french account?"
Arafat: " Swiss..very good interest rates this time of year"
Arafat:" YOU MUST SACRIFICE YOUR LIVES TO FIGHT!"

FightyF

Banned
IDF? Lol.

I know, it's funny, but this situation is like that. Palestinians don't want the wall, yet make it. Israeli hawks and extremists want the wall, yet will be forced to break it.

Ripclawe

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
I know, it's funny, but this situation is like that. Palestinians don't want the wall, yet make it. Israeli hawks and extremists want the wall, yet will be forced to break it.

who is going to force them?

FightyF

Banned
who is going to force them?

Jey-sus!

Hopefully a coalition of countries...Palestine needs liberation more than the Iraqis. Hopefully decent minded Israelis will also lead to it's demise.

In fact, if Palestine was liberated and a democracy was put into place...you'd see the rest of the countries in that region would follow suit.

Firest0rm

Fight for Freeform said:
Jey-sus!

Hopefully a coalition of countries...Palestine needs liberation more than the Iraqis. Hopefully decent minded Israelis will also lead to it's demise.

No, not more than Iraqi's.

Ripclawe

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Jey-sus!

In fact, if Palestine was liberated and a democracy was put into place...you'd see the rest of the countries in that region would follow suit.

HA! that is funny, thats the same junk I have heard for the last 20 years, I would think this article pin points why the refugees are in the position they are in, because of the PLO and arafat who plays them like puppets. Democracy will not flourish with a "free" and "liberated" Palestine.

FightyF

Banned
HA! that is funny, thats the same junk I have heard for the last 20 years

So I take it that you do not believe the Bush Administration when they claim that a "free Iraq" will lead to a "domino effect" into it's neighboring countries?

I would think this article pin points why the refugees are in the position they are in, because of the PLO and arafat who plays them like puppets. Democracy will not flourish with a "free" and "liberated" Palestine.

Corruption hurts any democracy. When I claim a "free and liberated Palestine", keep in mind that I'm keeping the PLO and Arafat out of the picture. When I say "free and liberated" I am implying that the Palestinians will choose their leaders, and that their leaders will be accountable. I am also implying a system where valid checks and balances occur to stimy attempts at corruption.

There are reasons why I say that it will have a big effect all over the Middle East.

Consider that many Middle Eastern (puppet) regimes use the Palestine situation to avert the attention of its own citizens from their own domestic problems to this "one problem that represents all Arabs". In that region, everyone's eyes are on this conflict, and in almost everyone's eyes, they feel that they have been wronged. You can't say the same about the Iraqi situation.

Another reason is why it will be effective is that it shows the people in the Middle East that while Palestine had it worse off than most countries in the World, it was able to bounce back and become an intergral part of the World economy and World politics, which was only possible with democracy. (I am assuming that once they do become a democracy, that they will get a lot of Western assistance.) It then puts pressure on the monarchy/dictatorships in the neighboring countries to follow suit, since their people will see the wonderous magic of democracy in action.

mjb: I'm reading up on Islamic Terrorism, and I'm lead to Jewish Extremism and Christian Fundamentalism quite often. Zionism has it's gradient of ideas and people...I wouldn't classify all Zionists as evil...but there are certainly some who are. Some just believe that they have the right to live in Israel...and IMO Jews have the right to live pretty much anywhere in the World. But there are some Zionists who are the next generation of Nazis, who have the attitude that ethnic cleansing on their part is justified.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fight for Freeform said:

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the context of my laugh or not.

I SERVED in the IDF. They aren't going to be breaking down that wall anytime soon.

I'd actually very much like to see Palestine instated as a fully independent country, one freed of the corruption and uselessness of its current "government" charter.

Sadly, even this major development won't significantly improve the situation down there. The terrorist organizations are too firmly entrenched in the government and their ways, and for most of them, the "free Palestine" agenda is just front to kill "the evil Zionists." They won't be satisfied until Israel ceases to exist.

Ripclawe

Banned
Consider that many Middle Eastern (puppet) regimes use the Palestine situation to avert the attention of its own citizens from their own domestic problems to this "one problem that represents all Arabs". In that region, everyone's eyes are on this conflict, and in almost everyone's eyes, they feel that they have been wronged. You can't say the same about the Iraqi situation.

The Palestinians in the social order of the middle east is last and whatever group is next to last is way ahead of them. The middle east population is not diverted from their own domestic problems because of this, its still used as an excuse to attack Israel, The palestinians have made their own problems(black sunday) and are tolerated by others.

I can't find the original AP story but this pretty much covers what people consider the palestinians.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=F...0402271431.3984e671@posting.google.com&rnum=1

Azih

The middle east population is not diverted from their own domestic problems because of this,
Yes it is. It's impossible to underestimate the amount of fervor and political mileage this issue commands not only in the Middle East but also in the wider muslim world.

Mejilan

Truth. The Palestinians are essentually loathed, as a people, by most other Arab countries. Whatever "solidarity" you see now amongst the Arab world is more of an anti-Israel one than a pro-Palestinian one.

You need only look into how Jordan has treated with Palestine in the past for a decent and sad example.

Chrono

Banned
Firest0rm said:
No, not more than Iraqi's.

Well the country occupying Iraq, U.S., is working with the Iraqi people trying to get it on its feet and even if they don't get out for a long time Iraq will have an elected government, free press, and oil will start to sell, etc... Of course if America stays it'll mostly be represented by military bases like they have in kuwait and qatar. I don't see kuwaities/qataries bombing those basis and crying for freedom from the american opression. (Unless you count the religious zealots who consider gap jeans a western invasion ;) ).

The country occupying Palestine, Israel, is bitch-slapping everyone who dares to give 'em a stare and bombing the hell out of them on a (almost) daily basis. Israel will not pack up and leave like the Palestinians want it-- they live there. Dude, the Palestinians have it MUCH worse then the iraqies. :p

I imagine myself being 50 years old and still watching the latest news on Israel/Palestine. :(

Mejilan

Chrono, you have very little concept of just what is going on outside your TV, do you? ;p

Chrono

Banned
Mejilan said:
Chrono, you have very little concept of just what is going on outside your TV, do you? ;p

Yeah it's true I don't follow any of this really. :p At least not anymore.

I was just saying the palestenians have it worse then the iraqies.. and frankly the pals have it worse then A LOT of people.

Ripclawe

Banned
Azih said:
Yes it is. It's impossible to underestimate the amount of fervor and political mileage this issue commands not only in the Middle East but also in the wider muslim world.

Nonsense, you can solve this and middle east leaders will find some other excuse to bitch at Israel. The entire middle east population are not idiots. They know what the palestinians and arafat are about and they have known for decades. Thats why King Hussein bombed his ass for trying to overthrow the government. The palestinians problems are mostly of their own making. Look up Black september

http://www.cedarland.org/black.html

Mejilan

Chrono said:
Yeah it's true I don't follow any of this really. :p At least not anymore.

I was just saying the palestenians have it worse then the iraqies.. and frankly the pals have it worse then A LOT of people.

Lol. The Palestinians have it rough. And I also agree that the current Israeli government isn't doing everything in their power to help. However, it isn't their place to do so either, not without getting some kind of reciprocation from the Palestinian government.

G-d, it almost brings tears to my eyes sometimes how close we were to salvaging the situation. And now, we almost couldn't be farther. They are NOT going to get a deal as good as what Ehud Barak was going to give them. They simply aren't. And it WAS a good deal too. Pity.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mejilan said:
They are NOT going to get a deal as good as what Ehud Barak was going to give them. They simply aren't. And it WAS a good deal too. Pity.

Yep. I agree on all counts.

Interesting, I had never seen you speak about the IDF before. That's a perspective I'd like to hear more about.

FightyF

Banned
Mej: I know that the IDF wouldn't want to do it, but they are more than capable of doing so. We do know that some of the wall is being relocated...I've always assumed that the IDF would do it. You probably know something I don't know.

Whatever "solidarity" you see now amongst the Arab world is more of an anti-Israel one than a pro-Palestinian one.

From what I've read, I have to agree.

And this goes back to my earlier point. The benefit of this conflict, and the fact that it still exists, is that it will divert attention from Arabs within their own countries, to this problem.

Nonsense, you can solve this and middle east leaders will find some other excuse to bitch at Israel.

They can find all the excuses they want, but what really pushes the emotional buttons of the Arab public are the images of innocent Palestinians being killed or living in a miserable state. If there is a democracy and prosperity, these images will no longer exist. Yes, they may find other excuses to divert attention, but nothing will be as strong as what is currently occurring.

The entire middle east population are not idiots. They know what the palestinians and arafat are about and they have known for decades. Thats why King Hussein bombed his ass for trying to overthrow the government.

That's true, but that doesn't mean that they don't see the human suffering in this conflict. Just because the Palestinians are getting screwed over by some people who claim to represent them, doesn't mean the Arab population should not care about them.

The palestinians problems are mostly of their own making. Look up Black september

That is but a small chapter in the history of this conflict. It's a poor choice of words, considering that many Palestinians were born under occupation and had no choice in it. I find it a short-sited comment as well. It's like saying that "A suicide bombing in an Israeli cafe is a problem that is of their own making"...the issues and actions are a lot more complicated than that...very little is cut and dry in this situation. Many actions have conficting and downright wierd motives.

Azih

Nonsense, you can solve this and middle east leaders will find some other excuse to bitch at Israel.

*No* issue exists with the same amout of baggage that the Palestenian issue does. I grew up in Saudi, and I grew up in Pakistan, and Palestine is the be all, end all symbol of Islamic grieveances against the West. No other issue could take its place. Believe that.

Dude, whatever happens in the Middle East has a much lower impact on Pakistan than the Kashmir issue, but I never saw anti Indian graffiti there but I did see "Hate America, Kill Israel" spray painted on a wall.

You *cannot* underestimate the importance of the issue and frankly I am surprised that you are attempting to downplay it.

The entire middle east population are not idiots. They know what the palestinians and arafat are about and they have known for decades.
What the middle east population knows is that Israel has used and continues to use its millitary supremacy to encroach on and annex more and more land and is aided and abetted in doing so by billions and billions of dollars of American aid. *That* is what they know. *That* is the propoganda that is ubiquitous in that and hell, *every* muslim region of the world many of which really don't know anything about Arafat and the PLO.

I remember reading a blurb in an English language Saudi daily about some play, the basics of the plot went something like "An American and his Israeli girlfriend destroy the life of an Egyptian shop keeper", *that* is the attitude the population of the Middle East has towards the Palestenian issue.

Azih

The real place where the situation really went down the shitter was in 1995 when Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated. The whole Camp David Barak/Arafat meetings was a sadly lost opportunity but the initial Barak offering was not a very good one (it didn't even provide the Palestenians with a contiguous West Bank) and the breakdown of the talks was not a case of "stupid Palestenians screwing up their only chance for peace" as is reported in the U.S media.

Mejilan

I'm Israeli born, US raised. Yet after high school, I went to Israel to live for four years. Didn't know ANYTHING about Israel, aside from a very bare bones educations about it that I got in school and at home. Didn't even speak Hebrew.

Learned the language, immersed my self in the social and historical culture. Opened my eyes, my mind, and learned a lot. Studied with Israelis. Studied with immigrants and transfer students from all over the world, especially Europe. Worked with Israelis, Americans, Europeans, Arab-Israelies... etc. Served briefly in the IDF.

Now I'm back in the US, working and studying again. I'm by no means an expert of the subject matter, but I've always gone out of my way to avoid these discussions on GAF. And I probably will continue to do so, for the most part.

About my IDF/Wall comment. I didn't mean that IDF wouldn't tear down the sections of the wall that our Supreme Court ruled against, and ordered torn down and relocated. I thought you meant that the IDF was eventually going to tear ALL of it down. The IDF will compy with the Supreme Court's ruling, to my knowledge. As they well should.

Mejilan

Azih said:
The real place where the situation really went down the shitter was in 1995 when Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated. The whole Camp David Barak/Arafat meetings was a sadly lost opportunity but the initial Barak offering was not a very good one (it didn't even provide the Palestenians with a contiguous West Bank) and the breakdown of the talks was not a case of "stupid Palestenians screwing up their only chance for peace" as is reported in the U.S media.

Rabin's plan... while perhaps admirable at some level, was unrealistic, unlikely to be met to completion, on OUR side. Jerusalem will not be divided. Barak's plan was the best that Palestine is realistically going to get, the way things stand now. Unfortunately, Arafat is only interested in looking after his best interests, not his countries. Until the political landscape in Palestine changes DRAMATICALLY, the status quo as it exists today will not change overmuch.

Azih

I appreciate your honesty Mejilan and I agree with your wisdom in avoiding these topics on GAF. But really there is nothing about Arafat that is preventing Israel from withdrawing as much as possible to the 1967 border. What is preventing Israel from withdrawing as close as possible to the 1967 borders and erecting a wall on that line (which would be by far the best way of assuring security for the Israeli state) is the bloc of extremely vocal extremist Jewish settlers who would go to any means to stay on their settlements and always end up playing kingmaker in the Israeli Parliment.

You can't pin the settlements on Arafat. And the sad fact is that a Palestine hobbled by settlements is incapable of achieving the kind of mature democracy that is required for real alternatives to Arafat to emerge. Palestine is not an operating democracy because it is not an operating country and it is not an operating country because it is an occupied country.

Hournda

Why couldn't Israel just retreat to the '67 borders and then leave the settlers where they are on their own? Though if the Palestinians just went and slaughtered them all I doubt there'd be any type of international outcry like everytime Israel assasinates a terrorist.

Mejilan

Actually, I'm in support of getting most of those g-d damn settlers out. We have plenty of room in Israel. I say most, but not all, because there are territories that we took as recompense for war being waged against us, territory that we require for our own security. We don't need ALL of them, but Israel will never go back to the 1967 borders because it makes parts of Israel extremely vulnerable to annexation, thereby making that territory generally unusable for us. On top of that, alone, some of those territories are also very difficult to defend. And hey, we are pulling out of Gaza. Eventually. That's a plus.

Israel won't be the first country to get attacked, be successful in her subsequent defense, and decide to keep a chunk of land as payback. She won't be the last either. But, we need to get the hell out of many of those territories. Starting with the settlers as a gesture of good will and good faith, and IF things calm down on the Palestinian side (unlikely, imho) then a military withdrawal.

That's just my PoV, however. In Israel I'd be considered a moderate, in my views, and sadly, on both sides of the fence (I don't mean that literally), moderates don't have too much power or say. *shrugs*

The sad truth is, if we could paint a golden picture from the Palestinian side, a full withdrawal and a return to the 1967 borders (again, WON'T happen) well, let's just say that those with power in Palestine don't want to see that happen. It'll make their agenda of "kill all the Zionists" a bit harder to hold up. Though, they'll try, admirably. Bah. It's a sick fucking situation out there. Part of the reason I'm back in NY, where it's *safe*. More than one coffee shop or restaurant I used to frequent no longer exists, thanks to the terror threat there.

Mejilan

You're wrong, Azih. As long as Arafat, and more importantly, his out of control Fatah movement is in control, Palestine will never become a true country or democracy. As long as you have Hamas institutions in direct control of hospitals, schools, mosques, the media, and even government agencies, Palestine will never become a true country or democracy.

What shackles Palestine to her dismal fate isn't an "occupying force" but an evil and selfish government rife with corruption, religious bigotry, overzealous and unreasoning hatreds, and who's brainwashing politics serve only to perpetuate the status quo.

It's a pity. Those are the self same reasons that Israel is still there. I bitterly regret that my leaders lack the conviction to just go in and wipe out the FARCE of a government structure that currently exists in Palestine. Sadly, Israel cannot, against the current world view, go in and "take care of business" to do what needs to be done, akin to what America did with Iraq, for better or for worse. I think we'd all be amazed just how quickly Israel would enact measures for a true and lasting peace (as we've been able to do with Egypt, Jordan for the most part) if there was a government that could honestly be negotiated with.

FightyF

Banned
As long as you have Hamas institutions in direct control of hospitals, schools, mosques, the media, and even government agencies, Palestine will never become a true country or democracy.

Consider that Hamas exists because there is no adequate infastructure for these things. With a democracy in place, and public services are handled by the government, you won't need a group like Hamas (remember they were originally buddy-buddy with Israel because they opposed the PLO) to take care of these things.

The key to achieving peace in this region is comprimise...and for that to occur, I expect a lot of infighting. Just today Settlers were protesting Sharon's plan. Apparently Sharon's security advisor said the Temple Mount was in danger of attack from one of these extremists (on CTV news). It just goes to show how whacko the religious radicals can get, attacking their "own kind" in an attempt to get what they want. It's no different than those Shi'ite mosques being bombed in Pakistan or Iraq by Sunnis...

Azih

Mejilan said:
You're wrong, Azih. As long as Arafat, and more importantly, his out of control Fatah movement is in control, Palestine will never become a true country or democracy.

I agree with you, but it is also true that Palestine will never become a true country or democracy while it is being occupied. Both of these things are obvious. My contention is that not only does the occupation prevent Palestine becoming a real country, it also prevents the emergence of a democratic Palestenian leader opposing Arafat.

Look, Palestine never progressed to the point of being a democracy, as such Palestine is not ruled by the politics of the Parliment, but the politics of the street. And on the street the only real power is the power of the gun. And the PLO has the guns and the terrorist/resistance organistations like Hamas has the guns and the IDF has the guns.

Who has the power and control of the resources in Palestine? It's not the Palestenian people. The vast majority of the power is in the hands of the most potent, well equipped and organised millitary forces in history.. the IDF. A whole lot of the resouces in palestine are controlled by settlers. What remains is controlled by the PLO and the terrorists/resistance. In a situation like this what the hell are the Palestenian people supposed to do?

Yesterday there was a story about a Palestenian family that refused to let I believe the Al-Aqsa Brigade (or Hamas) use thier land to fire rocket shells at a settlement. All they got for their refusal was one of their sons shot in the head.

In a situation where the last few dregs of infrastructure is controlled by the corrupt PLO, and the guns are in the hands of everybody *but* them (settlers, IDF, PLO, terrorists/resistance) the Palestenians cannot do anything.

And as a pre-emptive strike against the idiots who respond with 'they should get guns and take control', these are *ordinary palestenians* where the hell are they going to get guns from? You need to have a lot of smuggling expertise for any Palestenian to get a gun in Palestine (it is after all an OCCUPIED country), and all that expertise is in the hands of the terrorists/resistance who are not interested in arming competitors to thier influence. And even if a contingent of Palestenians were able to arm themselves as a political orgainsation opposing the PLO, they'd become just another armed faction in a land overrun by them and they'd be an extremely ill-equipped, inexperienced, weak one to boot.

And that all ignores the fact that the root of the evil in the eyes of the Palestenian isn't the corrupt PLO or the vicous Hamas, it's the settler. Any Palestenian that manages to get a gun will have top most in his/her mind the insane religious maniancs who run and put up tiny outposts and shacks on Palestenian territory, shoot at any Palestenian who dares approach them until the IDF arrives to defend their hold at which point they pour cement and annex the land.

As long as you have Hamas institutions in direct control of hospitals, schools, mosques, the media, and even government agencies, Palestine will never become a true country or democracy.

I'm going to reverse the Spiderman philosophy here to explain that. To take responsibility you have to have power. The ordinary Palestenian doesn't have any (for reasons I've outline above), while Hamas does. And in a situation where the power resides with the IDF and the settler, that will remain true.

What shackles Palestine to her dismal fate isn't an "occupying force"
Dude, why the quotes? I do not understand at all why you put the words occupying force in quotes. Israeli citizens and Israeli armed forces are in control of land which they acquired though millitary engagment. That's the TEXTBOOK definition of occupation. Whether it is occupied for expansionistic purposes, religious purposes, or defensive purposes is something that can be debated but it remains an occupation (with ALL the negative connotations of the word intact).

but an evil and selfish government rife with corruption, religious bigotry, overzealous and unreasoning hatreds, and who's brainwashing politics serve only to perpetuate the status quo.

and none of that excuses the settlements. Evil and selfish the PLO may be, but they are not responsible for the existence and expansion (and hell the creation of brand new) settlements that has been going on for THIRTY-SEVEN YEARS. You cannot pin the settlements on Arafat. And the settlements are an obstacle to peace.

It's a pity. Those are the self same reasons that Israel is still there. I bitterly regret that my leaders lack the conviction to just go in and wipe out the FARCE of a government structure that currently exists in Palestine. Sadly, Israel cannot, against the current world view, go in and "take care of business" to do what needs to be done, akin to what America did with Iraq, for better or for worse.

The difference between America/Iraq and Israel/Palestine is that American has not been occupying Iraq since 1967. Israeli millitary action is viewed with a whole lot more suspicion and outrage because it is the action of a long standing occupying force in an occupied territory. And you know what the crazy thing is? Any Palestenian government Israel would install would have less credibility than the PLO does. Hard to believe but you know it's true.

I think we'd all be amazed just how quickly Israel would enact measures for a true and lasting peace (as we've been able to do with Egypt, Jordan for the most part) if there was a government that could honestly be negotiated with.

That true analogy in this situation is Lebanon, Ehud Barak created a quiet and peaceful border with Lebanon by WITHDRAWING. You don't need to negotiate a withdrawal, you just WITHDRAW. Barak's execution was stupid, he should have withdrawn with a whole lot of pomp and circumstance and not just have the army leave in the night. But that is the model that needs to be followed. Too bad the settler extremists won't let Israel do that eh?.

Ripclawe

Banned
That true analogy in this situation is Lebanon, Ehud Barak created a quiet and peaceful border with Lebanon by WITHDRAWING. You don't need to negotiate a withdrawal, you just WITHDRAW. Barak's execution was stupid, he should have withdrawn with a whole lot of pomp and circumstance and not just have the army leave in the night. But that is the model that needs to be followed. Too bad the settler extremists won't let Israel do that eh?.

What bizarro world is this peaceful border with Lebanon located in, withdrawing from Lebanon even with pomp and circumstance was stupid because it gave the palestinians the excuse to claim victory. What sharon is doing now is the correct way to do it, say you are withdrawing, kill off leadership up and down the ladder, creating a power struggle and paranoia on how Israel is getting the information to kill.

Azih

Because you see Barak gave Hezbollah the excuse to act like Israel was running scared. IF Barak had orchestrated the withdrawal with members of the Lebanese government, then it would have seemed like Lebanon and Israel were PARTNERS in the withdrawal.

What Sharon is doing is WORSE than what Barak did, because hey look, Barak created a quiet, peaceful border (by WITHDRAWING). Sharon is doing nothing more than prepetuating the cycle of violence.

And sure go ahead and ignore the rest of what I said. I'm used to it.

Edit: and I'm calling the Lebanese-Israeli border peaceful because the amount of blood spilled during the 22 year Israeli occupation of Lebanon and the situation today is like night and day in terms of death and destruction. The region is much more stable now because of Israel's withdrawal.

Ripclawe

Banned
Lebanon is still occupied unless its okay for Syria to do it? Hizballah still operates freely in Lebanon. Not impressed.

The border is not peaceful and saying well its better now than before means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom