• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panama Leaks Case: The most important judicial trial in Pakistan's history

Documents submitted by Sharifs have been exposed as fake relating to offshore companies. Ministry of justice in Dubai has said evidence submitted by Sharifs related to Gulf Steel Mills is fake!

Maryam Nawaz confirmed as benificiary owner of offshore company contrary to what they said in Supreme Court!

These guys are done for!

Sayah

I'm really amazed how this guy managed to get "elected" prime minister three separate times and won't get to complete his term in office even a single time.

Nawaz sharif has been proved as chairman of an offshore company called FZE. Offshore companies were used to transfer money to UK.

More details to come soon..

Noctix

I think what will happen is this cunt will run to the saudis and spent the next 3-5 years outisde the country bitching about how this was all a conspiracy to derail the democracy what ever the fuck that means. My blood boils, him and zardari should be hanged for what the did to my country

I think what will happen is this cunt will run to the saudis and spent the next 3-5 years outisde the country bitching about how this was all a conspiracy to derail the democracy what ever the fuck that means. My blood boils, him and zardari should be hanged for what the did to my country

King Abdullah is gone, the current rulers are not friendly with Nawaz.

Noctix

King Abdullah is gone, the current rulers are not friendly with Nawaz.
While that is true he is still very cosy with qatar and other countries. Given Pakistan's history with politicians i am not optimistic anything will happen. I am willing to bet he will win again in elections if he is not bared for life. Thats the sad reality of Pakistani politics

While that is true he is still very cosy with qatar and other countries. Given Pakistan's history with politicians i am not optimistic anything will happen. I am willing to bet he will win again in elections if he is not bared for life. Thats the sad reality of Pakistani politics

He's done for. There's no chance he gets away now. He and his family submitted fake documents in the supreme court which is impossible to get out of.

DEYWVfGXcAE4Fl6.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
get fuuuuuuuuuuuuucked sharif family.

y'all have been fucking up my home for far too long.

Maryam Nawaz Sharif‏Verified account @MaryamNSharif 8m8 minutes ago

JIT report REJECTED. Every contradiction will not only be contested but decimated in SC. NOT a penny of public exchequer involved: PMLN

Seems like they are intent on going down fighting despite being exposed brutally.

Mauddib

Banned
Looks like they're going to contest it. As should be their right, considering that the JIT is just a body charged with investigation, but not the judiciary itself.

I just hope Imran Khan doesn't gain from this. The source of his sudden wealth is probably more questionable than the Sharifs' and he doesn't have the temperament to lead the nation.

With enough 'persuasion' they will. I think people are underestimating the depth of Pakistan's corruption.

They already attempted to persuade judges and failed miserably. If this persuasion was to come in effect, it would have affected the judgement on April 20th.

Sayah

Looks like they're going to contest it. As should be their right, considering that the JIT is just a body charged with investigation, but not the judiciary itself.

I just hope Imran Khan doesn't gain from this. The source of his sudden wealth is probably more questionable than the Sharifs' and he doesn't have the temperament to lead the nation.

The Panama papers leak would have been shoved under the rug if Imran Khan hadn't rallied so strongly against Nawaz Sharif and the corrupt political establishment. Imran Khan also doesn't have a history of looting the country and receives a lot of financial support from overseas Pakistanis. Having been to one of his fundraisers, he is literally accumulating thousands of dollars from a single night event. Not to mention the no cost cancer treatments being provided to the poor through his hospitals while most politicians have focused only on lining their own pockets. Imran Khan unlike PML-N and PPP isn't lining up his own children either to maintain a dynastic grip on power.

Imran Khan isn't perfect but he's way way waaaaay better than all of the other options out there.

Full report of 275 pages is finally online, read it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6leBB47NfItbHQwa3c4d3E0QmM/view

This is some next level FBI shit right here:

DEZbCJ6UwAAsAUn.jpg:large

Hahahaha

Noctix

I got this same temperament bull crap from my dad last night. This case was never about Imran Khan vs Nawaz Sharif. It was about People of Pakistan vs Nawaz Sharif.

Seriously how are people still defending this cunt. He has been in Govt 3 times. All 3 times he had corruption cases. Even back when he was a Finance Minister he had corruption charges. Him and Zardari are cancer for my country for our country. I am not a fan of Imran Khan and I don't consider as the last becon of hope like some in Pakistan do but he is better than what the current "EXPERIENCED" politicians we have.

I can't find an english version of this article. But this gives me no hope. It will take months before anything happens. Our Supreme Court is a joke at this point.

http://www.bbc.com/urdu/pakistan-40563999

Summary of report:

ISLAMABAD: The Joint Investigation Team (JIT), constituted by the Supreme Court to probe money laundering allegations against the Sharif family, set in motion a political upheaval by reporting that the prime minister and his children had accumulated wealth beyond their known sources of income.

The JIT’s damning report, submitted to the Supreme Court and spread over ten volumes, declared that both Hussain and Hassan Nawaz were used as proxies to build family assets.
Key developments

Maintains that PM’s family has assets beyond known sources of income
Recommends NAB reference against PM, his children
Says Sharif-owned enterprises mostly ‘loss-making’, don’t justify family’s wealth
Qatari letters declared a ‘myth’
Unearths new offshore company chaired by Sharif
Ministers reject JIT report as ‘trash’

Consequently, the six-man JIT concluded that it was compelled to refer to sections 9(a)(v) and 14(c) of the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO) 1999, which deal with corruption and corrupt practices, though such charges are yet to be proven in an accountability court.

A final decision on whe­ther to submit a reference to the National Accounta­bility Bureau (NAB) will be reached when the three-judge Supreme Court, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, gives an order to this effect.

The court will hear both the petitioner, namely Imran Khan and others, and the respondents, before handing down its final verdict.

The JIT report also highlighted Articles 122, 117, 129 and other sections of the Qanoon-i-Shahadat Order 1984 (Law of Evidence), which places the burden of disproving the allegations on the person facing accusations.

The JIT pointed out failure on the part of the Sharifs to produce the required information that would confirm their “known sources of income”, saying that prima facie, it amounted to saying that they were not able to reconcile their assets with their means of income.

The report said the financial structure and health of companies in Pakistan that are linked to the Sharifs also do not substantiate the family’s wealth and a significant disparity exists between the wealth declared by the Sharifs and the means through which they generated income.
‘Irregular’ movement of money

Moreover, the report highlights the “irregular movement of huge amounts in shape of loans and gifts” from the Saudi-based company Hill Metals Establish­ment, the UK-based Flag­ship Investments Limited and the UAE-based Capital FZE, to Nawaz Sharif, Hus­sain Nawaz and the Pakistan-based companies of the prime minister and his family.

“The role of offshore companies is critically important as several offshore companies (Nescoll Limited, Niel­son Enterprises Limited, Alanna Services Ltd, Lam­kin S.A. Coomber Group Inc and Hiltern International Ltd) have been identified to be linked with their businesses in UK,” the report states.

These companies, it said, were mainly used for “inflow of funds into UK-based companies, which not only acquired expensive properties in UK from such funds but also revolve these funds amongst their companies of UK, KSA, UAE and Pakistan”.

The JIT also highlighted that the companies where the Sharifs were acting as shareholders, directors or beneficial owners were primarily family-owned businesses. These companies were incorporated in the 1980s and 1990s, when Nawaz Sharif was holding public office.

Being shareholders, the Sharifs injected nominal capital as seed money and these companies were mainly entrusted with borrowed funds from banks, financial institutions or foreign-incorporated ‘special purpose vehicles’.

The companies also borrowed funds, at their inception, and rolled over funds with other facilities; foreign currency funds were generated to install plants and machinery.

But going forward, a majority of the companies were either non-operational or were not functioning at maximum capacity and were in loss, having negative equity, such as Mohammad Buksh Textile Mills Limited, Hudaibya Paper Mills Limited, Hudaibya Engineering Company Private Limited, Hamza Board Mills Limited, and Mehran Ramzan Textile Mills Ltd.

Due to weak performance and in absence of accumulated or operational profits, dividends were not declared, except for a few years. These companies were mainly loss-making units and no significant turnaround was observed over the past 20 years or so.
Accumulating assets by proxy

About Ms Kulsoom Nawaz, wife of Nawaz Sharif, the JIT stated she had been part of the family business and filing tax returns since 1984-85. Her total assets increased 17.5 times during the course of one year; from Rs1.64 million in 1991-92 to Rs28.62 million in 1992-93, against a reported income of only Rs279,400.

The JIT found that the accumulation of Hussain Nawaz’ assets showed a sharp spike in the early 1990s, and then again in 1997-98, with no declared source of income.

The JIT believed that this build-up of assets was through “irregular means” and that Hussain was used as a “proxy” to build the family’s assets.

Hassan Nawaz’ assets also showed a similar spike in the early 1990s with no declared source of income. This was a period when the Sharif family was in power.

The report did not spare Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, either. It pointed out that he did not file income tax returns between 1981-82 and 2001-02, which amounted to tax evasion.

An exorbitant increase was also observed in his assets since 2008-09, for which source of funds and income details were not furnished, despite repeated requests.

The JIT clearly stated that prima facie, Mr Dar possessed assets disproportionate and beyond his known means, adding that he invested 5.5 million British pounds in Baraq Holdings in the UAE, but the source of these funds was not disclosed, only that around 4.97 million pounds were given to him by his son.

Mr Dar also gave Rs169.27 million to charity, but a major chunk of that was given to his own organisation, keeping the funds within his own access.

Similarly, National Bank of Pakistan President Saeed Ahmed registered as a tax-payer in 2015, but no record of his returns was available prior to 2015. In his income tax returns for 2014-15, Saeed Ahmed declared foreign income amounting to Rs20 million, but no evidence was available regarding the source of that income. In his wealth statement for the same year, Mr Ahmed declared foreign remittances worth Rs17.13 million, the source of which cannot be ascertained.

The JIT also recommends re-opening the cases of Hudabiya Paper Mills Ltd and Hudabiya Engineering Ltd for further investigation and re-trial on the basis of new evidence.

The Hudaibiya mills reference remained in the cold storage for 12 years after it was adjourned in 2007 because the Sharifs were in exile. It was later quashed by the Lahore High Court in 2014, after the incumbent Qamar Zaman Chaudhry was appointed NAB chief.
Suspicious transactions

Investigations also revealed that the process of money laundering actually started in Sept 1991, as opposed to the first transaction in Aug 1992 identified by FIA and NAB investigations.

These transactions showed that funds of $2.23 million were deposited in the first two accounts, opened in the name of incumbent NBP president Saeed Ahmad and Mukhtar Hussain.

Subsequently, all the money from these accounts were transferred to the accounts of Musa Ghani and Talat Masud Qazi through dollar bearer certificates (DBCs) to hide the source of the funds.

Referring to mutual legal assistance provided by the UAE Ministry of Justice, the JIT held that no transaction worth 12 million UAE Dirhams, claimed by Sharifs to be the sale proceeds of 25pc shares of Ahli Steel Mills (previously known as Gulf Steel Mills) ever took place in the name of Muhammad Tariq Shafi — the prime minister’s cousin.

There is not a single document that can provide the basis for any money trail for the purchase of the Avenfield London properties and the businesses of the sons of the prime minister, the JIT observes, declaring the documents produced as fabricated and fake.

After checking with Dubai Customs, the JIT concluded that no scrap machinery was transported from Dubai to Jeddah in 2001-02.

Thus, the team concluded, it was proven that the documents or record produced by the Sharifs regarding the sale of 25pc of the mill’s shares were “unauthentic, unverified, fake and fabricated”.

Besides, the attached share sale agreement of 1980 and the letter of credit for the transportation of scrap machinery from Dubai to Jeddah were also declared fictitious.

Similarly, Tariq Shafi never handed over 12 million dirhams to former Qatari prime minister Shiekh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani in 1980, as claimed by Sharifs before the apex court. Mr Shafi, in fact, tried to mislead the Supreme Court, the JIT deplored.
‘Evasive’ PM

During his interrogation, the JIT said, PM Sharif was visibly evasive on most of the questions related to Gulf Steel Mills and, after two and half hours of questioning, the prime minister only admitted to knowing Mohammad Hussain as his maternal uncle.

The JIT also dubbed the two letters from Sheikh Al Thani “a myth and not a reality”.

The JIT highlighted how the prime minister not only concealed assets to the tune of Rs45 million, but also misreported in his wealth statement for the year 2013.

The prime minister, the report said, enjoyed pecuniary benefits other than dividends from his businesses in the shape of unexplained inflows to his personal bank accounts on a regular basis from the business profits of his son and businesses run by him, purportedly in the form of gifts.

The prime minister is a minor direct shareholder in the closely-held family companies when they are not profit-bearing, but these companies are continuously revolving funds amongst themselves and their shareholders/directors/sponsors and offshore companies, the JIT said.

The JIT also unearthed a new offshore company, FZE Capital in the UAE, which had Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as its chairman.

The report said the prime minister kept shares in the name of his wife, sons and daughters, who were not financially independent at the time; thereby retaining control over the business due to his strong political and family influence.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1344488/jit-report-carries-seeds-of-upheaval

Mauddib

Banned
The Panama papers leak would have been shoved under the rug if Imran Khan hadn't rallied so strongly against Nawaz Sharif and the corrupt political establishment. Imran Khan also doesn't have a history of looting the country and receives a lot of financial support from overseas Pakistanis. Having been to one of his fundraisers, he is literally accumulating thousands of dollars from a single night event. Not to mention the no cost cancer treatments being provided to the poor through his hospitals while most politicians have focused only on lining their own pockets. Imran Khan unlike PML-N and PPP isn't lining up his own children either to maintain a dynastic grip on power.

Imran Khan isn't perfect but he's way way waaaaay better than all of the other options out there.

I got this same temperament bull crap from my dad last night. This case was never about Imran Khan vs Nawaz Sharif. It was about People of Pakistan vs Nawaz Sharif.

Seriously how are people still defending this cunt. He has been in Govt 3 times. All 3 times he had corruption cases. Even back when he was a Finance Minister he had corruption charges. Him and Zardari are cancer for my country for our country. I am not a fan of Imran Khan and I don't consider as the last becon of hope like some in Pakistan do but he is better than what the current "EXPERIENCED" politicians we have.

I can't find an english version of this article. But this gives me no hope. It will take months before anything happens. Our Supreme Court is a joke at this point.

http://www.bbc.com/urdu/pakistan-40563999

Honestly, after all that the military has done to Pakistan, and what the PPP has done, and how closely PTI has aligned itself with ex ISI folk, I'm wary of this investigation.

Do I believe Nawaz evaded tax? Of course. But I don't think this investigation will result in a change in how we as a country view accountability. Musharraf abrogated the constitution, he and his goons tortured civilians, there was huge amounts of corruption during the PML-Q tenure, and yet the judiciary is unable to charge Musharraf, but are going all out for the Sharifs?

I would be happy to be proven wrong. I would love if this spells a new chapter in our country's history. If it led to the accountability of the likes of Tareen (who is also listed in the Panama papers) and Imran Khan (who has amassed incredible wealth all of a sudden), or all the other countless criminals in public office.

But what's happening right now feels like a political witch hunt. It's not sincere. The Pakistani establishment has always punished those who have questioned it's authority or worked towards development goals. We have one of the most corrupt army's in the world and yet our population still applauds them, despite all the misery they have brought to the nation.

I'm not even a PML-N fan, but I do recognize their contribution in bringing stability to the country. We were having a current accounts deficit when they came into power. Our economy wasn't growing, terrorism wasn't decreasing, there was no movement in energy independence for a decade. This government has brought measurable gains to our country, moreso than any other government in my lifetime. So is it just a coincidence that the Sharif family is being target for investigation ahead of an upcoming election? I don't think so.

Uncertainty prevails in ministries and departments after JIT report

With the findings of Joint Investigation Team (JIT) in Panama case, uncertainty blanketed country's political scenario which also started affecting routine business of various ministries and economic institutions.

According to insiders, the secretaries and subordinates, who are now being asked to move files related to development projects speedily, are hesitant to follow the direction of ministers and higher authorities apparently to save their own skin.

Though the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) approved 11 important projects worth Rs 234 billion on Monday, the day the JIT submitted its report to Supreme Court of Pakistan and subsequently released to parties and media, the government was willing to complete necessary work on projects as early as possible, sources claimed.

During a visit to various ministries, it was observed that government employees including officers and other staff were discussing the JIT's findings and their implications on political environment of the country. The secretaries and other officials were not in mood to take risk of moving forward any case as asked by their bosses. It looks like JIT report has crippled public and private sector machinery across the country.

A complete uncertainty was visible at Securities Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) where the commission's head was trying to avoid arrest. A source at Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) claims that though the JIT has not proposed any major action against the bureau for noncooperation in investigation against ruling family, the top officials were fearful of any direction for further investigation or demand of record in connection with Sharif Family and Finance Minister Ishaq Dar. According to him, the recently retired FBR chairman Dr Muhammad Irshad, sensing the possible outcome of JIT and post JIT scenario had rejected an offer of another extension of three months. He had refused to continue his duty after completing term on June 30.

The absence of key ministers from their ministries, who were reportedly busy in meeting at Prime Minister Secretariat on Tuesday, also fueled rumours about decisive end following the development in Panama case.

The level of uncertainty in financial institutions under Ministry of Finance was comparatively high since the Finance Minister is in hot water after serious allegations leveled by JIT regarding tax evasion. Apart from the mess at SECP, the JIT has also claimed that FBR remained reluctant in sharing tax details of Sharif Family.

The JIT in its report says that though most of the departments and government institutions provided the record asked for, however, it was provided selectively and in parts. Despite repeated reminders, FBR remained elusive with reference to provision of complete tax return of Ishaq Dar till the time he appeared before JIT.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...in-ministries-and-departments-after-jit-repo/

PML-N leader terms JIT report an 'international conspiracy'

https://www.dawn.com/news/1344672

I'm not even gonna bother quoting their long winded bullshit.

Honestly, after all that the military has done to Pakistan, and what the PPP has done, and how closely PTI has aligned itself with ex ISI folk, I'm wary of this investigation.

Do I believe Nawaz evaded tax? Of course. But I don't think this investigation will result in a change in how we as a country view accountability. Musharraf abrogated the constitution, he and his goons tortured civilians, there was huge amounts of corruption during the PML-Q tenure, and yet the judiciary is unable to charge Musharraf, but are going all out for the Sharifs?

I would be happy to be proven wrong. I would love if this spells a new chapter in our country's history. If it led to the accountability of the likes of Tareen (who is also listed in the Panama papers) and Imran Khan (who has amassed incredible wealth all of a sudden), or all the other countless criminals in public office.

But what's happening right now feels like a political witch hunt. It's not sincere. The Pakistani establishment has always punished those who have questioned it's authority or worked towards development goals. We have one of the most corrupt army's in the world and yet our population still applauds them, despite all the misery they have brought to the nation.

I'm not even a PML-N fan, but I do recognize their contribution in bringing stability to the country. We were having a current accounts deficit when they came into power. Our economy wasn't growing, terrorism wasn't decreasing, there was no movement in energy independence for a decade. This government has brought measurable gains to our country, moreso than any other government in my lifetime. So is it just a coincidence that the Sharif family is being target for investigation ahead of an upcoming election? I don't think so.

Typical PMLN supporter with every argument checked. Even including the 'I'm not a PMLN supporter, but..' line at the end to counter any possible criticism.

Prior to this court case PMLN supporters used to deflect criticism against corruption by telling people to go prove it in courts. Now when they are finally exposed they've switched to conspiracy theories.

Following are the questions asked by the JIT and the prime minister’s answers.

Q: In your speeches you had mentioned that all record relating to Azizia and Gulf Steel was available but later your counsel stated in the Supreme Court that no such record was available. Can you explain this contradiction?

A: I am not sure, maybe I had given the record to the speaker, but I am not sure about this.

Q: You have stated that you stand by whatever respondents 6, 7 and 8 have submitted before the Supreme Court of Pakistan during the proceedings of the case about Gulf Steel and Azizia etc. Did you personally see what they have submitted before the Supreme Court of Pakistan or your knowledge is based on family discussions?

A: I had not seen the submissions, my knowledge is based on the family discussions but I endorse whatever has been submitted by them.

Q: Do you have any other documents that you want to produce in addition to the ones you have brought today?

A: There are no further documents to be produced. We have already provided all the documents we had.

Q: In 1999, the Queens Bench Division had put a caution on the Avenfield properties which was removed on the basis of a settlement. What is your knowledge about the terms of the settlement?

A: I have heard about it but I do not know about the terms of settlement.

Q: You had referred to the settlement of family assets in 2005. Was the matter of investment of proceeds of Gulf Steel discussed especially with regards to the Avenfield properties?

A: Yes, perhaps it was discussed and since they had remained in the possession of Hassan and Hussain. I think Hassan is the owner but I’m not sure.

Q: Hussain claims to own the apartments now but practically Hassan has lived in one of the apartments from decades now. Don’t you find this a bit odd?

A: It is not unusual for brothers.

Q: Do you know about the trust deed signed between Mr Hussain Nawaz Sharif and Ms Maryam Nawaz Sharif with reference to the companies of Mr Hussain?

A: I have no knowledge of the trust deed signed by Mr Hussain Nawaz Sharif on behalf of Maryam (Nawaz) Safdar.

Q: Do you know Saeed Ahmed of National Bank of Pakistan and did you have any business with him?

A: I know Saeed Ahmed since a very long time but I do not have any business links with him.

Q: Do you know the Qazi family?

A: I do not know them. I meet a lot of people and do not remember them all.

Q: Do you know Sheikh Saeed?

A: Yes, I know him since a long time, but I do not have any business relationship with him.

Q: A settlement with NAB was carried out on your behalf in 2001-2 for the case of Hudabiya papers mills and payment was made through loans taken from Chaudhry and Ramzan mills. Please apprise us with the details of this settlement.

A: I do not know if there was a loan. I do not have any knowledge of this matter.

Q: Did you send any money abroad to any of your family members?

A: No I did not.

Q: Was a portion of money received from Hill Metals used for political funding?

A: No, but if I did, is it a crime?

Q: Would it not come under foreign funding?

No reply was made.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1344740/jit-says-pm-couldnt-satisfactorily-answer-most-of-the-questions

JIT claims a witness admitted operating fictitious accounts

ISLAMABAD:
One of the witnesses admitted before the Panamagate Joint Investigation Team (JIT) that he opened and operated Benami, or factitious, bank accounts for money laundering on the direction of his uncle, who is a close friend of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

The JIT, probing ruling Sharif family’s offshore assets and alleged corruption, claims that the PM and his family were the actual beneficiary of these fictitious accounts and fraudulent transactions.

During its probe, the JIT interrogated All Pakistan Sugar Mills Association Chairman Javed Kayani, who voluntarily admitted that in 1990s he opened factitious accounts for doing fraudulent transaction, acquiring loans and transferring money into foreign banks.

He claimed that he opened these account on the direction of his maternal uncle Sheikh Saeed, who is close friend of PM Sharif. The six-member JIT in the second volume of its report has presented statements of the Sharif family members and others.

“Illegally circulated money in various fictitious/Benami and a few family accounts was used to acquire loan for Hudabiya Mills. Huge part of this money was transferred from Benami account of Salman Zia and others to Shamrock and other offshore companies,” the report says.

It finds that Phil Barry, a US national, acted as courier of Sheikh Saeed to bring unsigned Travellers Cheques from abroad, to get these changed into DBCs with his (Kayani’s) help and to deliver them at residence of Nawaz Sharif in Lahore’s Model Town area.

The JIT report observes that the shady role of Kayani in opening the fictitious accounts has been proved beyond doubt through available certified banking record and the PM and his family members are the real beneficiary of these fictitious and fraudulent transactions.

The probe team has also told the Supreme Court that the National Bank of Pakistan’s incumbent President Saeed Ahmad was also involved in fraudulent transactions in favour of the Sharif family. The team has recommended to the Supreme Court to include Ahmad’s name in the list of accused in Hudabiya Papers Mills case.

The team has informed the Supreme Court that names of Kayani and Saeed have been placed on the Exit Control List (ECL). It has also requested that their names may continue to remain on the list till a final decision by the apex court.

The JIT has also termed the prime minister’s son-in-law Captain (retd) Safdar ‘dishonest and deceitful’. In its report, the JIT has also made observations on the statements made by the Sharif family members during interrogation.

Regarding the PM’s son-in-law’s appearance, the JIT says he was absolutely evasive, non-committal and speculative while making his statement.

“He was untruthful, dishonest, deceitful and shifty on many accounts, displaying wanting conduct,” the JIT report states. “His emphasis was on propagating that he was highly upright, self-contained and an independent person, which was inconsistent with the facts brought out by him during the proceedings.”

The report says Sadfar told the JIT that he along with other family members was receiving an allowance from Mian Muhammad Sharif, the PM’s father, while in exile in Jeddah and thereafter. This was in addition to the day-to-day expenses also being provided by Muhammad Sharif to family members.

Safdar was receiving about 1,500 Saudi Riyals per month and this practice is still continuing. However, according to the JIT report, despite repeated questions, he did not divulge the source of his allowance after Muhammad Sharif’s death.

The report adds that after his father’s death, Nawaz Sharif became head of the family, a fact that Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif also endorsed.

“The continuation of pocket money/ subsistence allowance since 2004 indicates that head of the family PM Nawaz Sharif continues to support/ makes up for expenses of all family members,” the report states. “This is further corroborated by the exchange of gifts worth millions of dollars within the family.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1456739/jit-claims-witness-admitted-operating-fictitious-accounts/

PM unmoved as resignation call rises to a crescendo

ISLAMABAD:
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will not step aside notwithstanding a crescendoing demand from the opposition for his resignation. This is what his top ministers say. Nonetheless Sharif has been conferring with his top legal and political aides since the JIT report stirred up a political storm in the country.

Premier Sharif had had another brainstorming session with top members of the ruling party on Wednesday to weigh the options available to him and his family. Officially, there was no word on the huddle, but sources said the PML-N leadership favoured delaying the matter till a ‘suitable time’.

“We are going to play it cool till the dust is settled,” a PML-N source told The Express Tribune. The Sharif family’s legal aides are poring over the JIT report to contest its findings in the Supreme Court next week, he added.

They might raise objections over ‘violation of its mandate’ by the JIT; its aggressive style of report writing, and evidence and allegations leveled by it. This is a time-buying tactic on the part of the PML-N, another source added.

One of the participants told The Express Tribune that Sharif’s legal aides have explained to him that “it will be a bit too difficult” to put up a convincing defence against the JIT report in the apex court.

“The only thing we can do is to drag things until a suitable time,” the source said. Therefore, political options are also being relied upon – to bash the JIT and ridicule its report.

However, the political options also appear to be dwindling given that the legal fraternity has also joined the chorus of the opposition parties calling for Sharif’s resignation.

Perhaps this is the reason a hushed talk of an in-house change is being heard in the ruling party – something that was unthinkable until now. Informal discussions with insiders suggest that some circles in the PML-N believe Sharif should step down as a preemptive move before he is disqualified by the Supreme Court.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1456744/pm-unmoved-resignation-call-rises-crescendo/

Mauddib

Banned
Typical PMLN supporter with every argument checked. Even including the 'I'm not a PMLN supporter, but..' line at the end to counter any possible criticism.

Prior to this court case PMLN supporters used to deflect criticism against corruption by telling people to go prove it in courts. Now when they are finally exposed they've switched to conspiracy theories.

LMAO. You could have at least tried to counter my arguments. But please give way to your anger.

And what do you think of this article:

All four foreign documents/ reports acquired by the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing the Panama Papers case and presented on the very first page of the report as a major success and ‘critical evidences' are flawed and based on misunderstanding of the JIT and cannot be termed as evidence anyway.

1. Offshore company of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif

(i) Free Zone Establishment (FZE) companies are not at all offshore companies like offshore companies set up in the BVI, Jersey or other offshore jurisdictions. Such a company can be incorporated in all UAE Free Zone. Hundreds of Pakistanis own such FZE companies in the UAE which are not at all offshore companies. Word ”offshore" was clearly used to sensationalise the situation and it also reflects prejudice.

(ii) There is no concept of any linkage of Chairman in any corporate law and neither any such title exists in the laws of Free Zone establishments in the UAE, which are freely available for download and could have been reviewed by JIT members without even any MLA where the shareholder is the owner and the designated authority submitted for management is termed a manager.

(iii) The ownership of a company is proved by shareholding certificates and mere chairmanship of a company never means the person owns the company. The JIT could have easily obtained the details of shareholding of FZE Capital from the same authority to prove that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif owns this company but clearly this was not done deliberately. It is a normal practice to become chairman of a company connected to one's connections in order to get facilitation in visa and frequent tours to the UAE.

2. Dubai Agreements and Notarization is fake

The third ‘critical evidence' presented by the JIT before the apex court is that it has got confirmation of fictitious sale/ purchase agreements submitted to honourable court by the respondents, by the Ministry of Justice, UAE.

It is important to mention that the JIT questions were very cleverly framed and apparently it seems that it provided wrong details or wrong facts to the concerned foreign authorities to obtain answers in negative.

According to the Ministry of Justice response to the JIT, the Sharif family agreement with Ahli Steel of 1980 could not be found in its record. This is no evidence and cannot prove the agreement is fake. It is simple that the JIT could have contacted the Ahli Steel Mills which is operational even now and could record their witness statement. But it was never done and the JIT only examined the selected witnesses. Further it needed to also confirm whether there is by law any requirement to maintain such record and the period for which such records are maintained by the Ministry of Justice, UAE.

Credible sources close to the owners of Ahli Steel Mills confirmed to The News that Ahli Steel Mills was never contacted for taking any evidence on this count.

Not only this, the next JIT question is about transportation of ”scrap machinery" from Dubai to Jeddah. The term ”Scrap Machinery" was apparently used to confuse Dubai authorities instead of asking about any movement of machinery. There is no HS code covering ‘scarp machinery'. The term used on the documents available with The News is an Arabic term meaning ”steel mills machinery". Clearly the question asked to obtain a misleading answer and same seems to have been done to deliberately mislead the apex court. The News has 22 images of original Dubai Custom documents of per truck of the machinery in the dates September 3, 2001 to September 14, 2001.

...the Ministry of Justice states that the Central Bank of the UAE does not have in its record any transaction of 12 million Dirhams. First of all and as per law, both in Pakistan and the UAE, transaction records are not available with the Central Banks but with the banks that undertake such transactions. Therefore, confirmation of no record existing with Central Bank would be correct but actually misleading. Also the UAE banking law states that banks are required to maintain records of transactions for a period of five years and even for any business or companies closed down a record of the bank accounts and its documents for a period of five years from the time such company closes. Then how would the Central Bank be able to confirm existence of any record for such a transaction which is more than 30 years old. Therefore, the statement of Ministry of Justice that the Central Bank has no record of such transaction is factually true but used by the JIT report in its conclusion to distort and mislead to conclude that no such transaction occurred.

3. During the course of investigation the following critical documentary evidence has been acquired by the JIT.

It is interesting to note that JIT hadn't asked the FIA of BVI to confirm the beneficial ownership of Nielsen & Newscoll, the real question and simply sought authentication of two letters which were part of Panama Papers and were already submitted to the Supreme Court. These letters were confirming no fact and were containing ‘information' provided by a registered private law firm. The same information of a private firm was refuted in the apex court and only the next step could have been verification from BVI government from the BVIFSC. It is important to highlight that the JIT was so much careful in asking questions that it didn't even asked the FIA of BVI to confirm the beneficial ownership of the offshore companies.

The letters were written by the FIA of BVI and were responded by the Mossack Fonseca was a fact and thus the FIA of BVI on being asked by the JIT just to authenticate sending and receiving these two letters, it authenticated both.

Now JIT on basis of authentication of these two letters gave its finding in the ‘Conclusion' that on basis of authentication of these letters by the FIA of BVI, it has been proved beyond any doubt that beneficial ownership of these two companies by Maryam Nawaz has been proved.

This was the standard of understanding of JIT members of offshore companies and reaching on conclusion that to ‘beyond any doubt'.

Not only this, Hussain Nawaz provided the JIT with a letter from a company JPCA Limited which took over secretarial administration of the offshore companies Nielsen and Nescoll in 2014 which was earlier managed by a company Minerva. However, JIT simply ignored this letter without any verification on this count.

LMAO. You could have at least tried to counter my arguments. But please give way to your anger.

And what do you think of this article:

Quoting The News? They have a very clear agenda to save Nawaz Sharif right now given the fact that they are the biggest recipients of government ads in billions of rupees.

There's a reason I've stopped posting their news here now.

The reporter you quoted as well as the owner of the newspaper have been called for contempt of court by publishing a fake story on the day the JIT gave their final report. They even had the audacity to call one of the judges in this case for their news story.

Nawaz Sharif is now desperate for the UAE government to disown the letter regarding his offshore company in Dubai. It's one of the strongest pieces of evidence the JIT has come up with which he can't wiggle out of.

DEoa1MeXkAAK5da.jpg

bwakh

Nawaz Sharif is now desperate for the UAE government to disown the letter regarding his offshore company in Dubai. It's one of the strongest pieces of evidence the JIT has come up with which he can't wiggle out of.

DEoa1MeXkAAK5da.jpg

What a loser. The man has no dignity; begging other countries to help him out. How does he sleep at night?

Mauddib

Banned
Quoting The News? They have a very clear agenda to save Nawaz Sharif right now given the fact that they are the biggest recipients of government ads in billions of rupees.

There's a reason I've stopped posting their news here now.

The reporter you quoted as well as the owner of the newspaper have been called for contempt of court by publishing a fake story on the day the JIT gave their final report. They even had the audacity to call one of the judges in this case for their news story.

Lol great post. Just insult the newspaper like your dear leader has taught you to do, and try not to grapple with the argument in the article which is actually very well articulated.

There's a special cadre of Imran Khan and military supporters who didn't at all question the shooting of Hamid Mir when he was questioning the ISI, They never question all the disappearances in Balochistan that again, our military is responsible for. They agreed with PTI's storming of State institutions during the dharna in Islamabad, and they didn't care that the military was working with the PTI to create confusion in the country.

Also, The News is one of the most well-reputed news papers in the country. You're just stating IK talking points now. Do you also believe that the Jang Group is part of some large Indian conspiracy? Jesus.

Sayah

It can be said that the Pakistani miltary is largely independent and doesn't hold to the whims of the civilian government so giving Nawaz Sharif credit for things like decreased terrorism hardly makes any sense. The military is largely the one involved in the war on terror while Nawaz Sharifs party is the one terrorizing and murdering innocent people instead of contributing to decreased terrorism (case in point: Model Town massacre).

Lol great post. Just insult the newspaper like your dear leader has taught you to do, and try not to grapple with the argument in the article which is actually very well articulated.

There's a special cadre of Imran Khan and military supporters who didn't at all question the shooting of Hamid Mir when he was questioning the ISI, They never question all the disappearances in Balochistan that again, our military is responsible for. They agreed with PTI's storming of State institutions during the dharna in Islamabad, and they didn't care that the military was working with the PTI to create confusion in the country.

Also, The News is one of the most well-reputed news papers in the country. You're just stating IK talking points now. Do you also believe that the Jang Group is part of some large Indian conspiracy? Jesus.

Is there a special barometer you have that tells you what newspaper is respectful or not? Nice try calling me out on conspiracy theories when you yourself have insinuated that Panama is a conspiracy against Nawaz Sharif in your first post.

You also didn't answer anything about why the supreme court summoned the newspaper's head and the journalist you cited for contempt of court, and the billions the media group is receiving in government ads, more than any other media group.

I have no need to answer a government mouth piece crying against the judiciary and implying that army is behind their money laundering and thievery.

Mauddib

Banned
Is there a special barometer you have that tells you what newspaper is respectful or not? Nice try calling me out on conspiracy theories when you yourself have insinuated that Panama is a conspiracy against Nawaz Sharif in your first post.

You also didn't answer anything about why the supreme court summoned the newspaper's head and the journalist you cited for contempt of court, and the billions the media group is receiving in government ads, more than any other media group.

I have no need to answer a government mouth piece crying against the judiciary and implying that army is behind their money laundering and thievery.

Umm there is nothing wrong in receiving funds for government ads. Every news channel receives such funding.

And where am I insinuating that a newspaper has to be 'respectful'. I'm just saying that The News is a very well regarded newspaper and always has been. And let's be honest - The News has a much much much better reputation than the Express Tribune which is what you are linking to.

We've seen this attack on the independent media before. It's usually perpetrated by the military, intelligence and cronies like PTI. Such blatant attacks on the media are frowned upon the world over. Imran Khan is basically the Donald Trump of Pakistan. He uses exactly the same scare mongering tactics that Trump uses to discredit reports that aren't in his favor.

Anyway, it's funny to see Khan sahab in a similar predicament:

Islamabad High Court (IHC) has rejected Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf's (PTI) plea to prevent the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) from hearing Akbar S Babar's petition regarding the party's alleged foreign funding.

The PTI had earlier challenged ECP's jurisdiction regarding the case but was rejected by a full bench of the commission early May.

On Friday, the IHC also rejected PTI's plea to issue a stay order in the case. Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kiyani said that the case has been going on since 2014 and has already once been referred back to the ECP.

Ordering the ECP and the petitioner to submit their replies, Justice Kiyani adjourned the case until further notice.

Foreign funding cases against PTI
PTI and its chief Imran Khan are currently involved in two separate cases, both alleging that the party has acquired funds from prohibited foreign sources.

Akbar S Babar's petition alleged that nearly $3 million in illegal foreign funds were collected through two offshore companies, registered under Imran Khan's signature, and that money was sent through illegal "hundi" channels from the Middle East to accounts of PTI employees. He also alleged that the foreign accounts used to collect funds were concealed from the annual audit reports submitted to the ECP.

Meanwhile PML-N's Hanif Abbasi's petition, currently being heard by the Supreme Court, seeks PTI chairman Imran Khan's disqualification, alleging that his party acquired funds, amounting to millions of dollars, from prohibited foreign sources, including multinational corporations. The SC is expected to form a commission to investigate the issue.

Look at PTI desperately trying to conceal it's money trail. There's some crazy mental gymnastics you have to conduct to desperately want the Sharifs in jail for establishing an offshore account yet ignore the fact that Imran Khan did the same exact thing.

Umm there is nothing wrong in receiving funds for government ads. Every news channel receives such funding.

And where am I insinuating that a newspaper has to be 'respectful'. I'm just saying that The News is a very well regarded newspaper and always has been. And let's be honest - The News has a much much much better reputation than the Express Tribune which is what you are linking to.

We've seen this attack on the independent media before. It's usually perpetrated by the military, intelligence and cronies like PTI. Such blatant attacks on the media are frowned upon the world over. Imran Khan is basically the Donald Trump of Pakistan. He uses exactly the same scare mongering tactics that Trump uses to discredit reports that aren't in his favor.

Anyway, it's funny to see Khan sahab in a similar predicament:

Look at PTI desperately trying to conceal it's money trail. There's some crazy mental gymnastics you have to conduct to desperately want the Sharifs in jail for establishing an offshore account yet ignore the fact that Imran Khan did the same exact thing.

When is it acceptable to take government funding to propagate their agenda as blatantly as Jang/Geo/The News is doing right now? Attacking the judiciary, insinuating there is a conspiracy in their every news post. Posting news facts as agenda driven pieces; they are a black stain on journalism.

Why are you ignoring the mountain of evidence regarding money laundering the JIT has turned up? The fact that they submitted forged documents in court? The fact that they lied regarding Maryam Nawaz being a beneficiary owner in the flats? Having offshore companies is not illegal, failure to give a verifiable money trail is a crime once you admit owning a property; This is in Pakistani law.

Point me to the time when Imran Khan held a government position to commit corruption? Furthermore, if Imran Khan fails to give his money trail then he should go to jail too.

The foreign funding case has nothing to do with corruption. Not even the petitioners are alleging that, so the two are not even remotely comparable. You are being intentionally disingenuous.

JIT report: Buy time or file objections?

ISLAMABAD:
Nawaz Sharif’s legal team has yet to finalise its strategy regarding filing of objections to the damning report of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) that probed the ruling family’s offshore businesses in line with the apex court’s April 20 verdict in Panama Papers case.

Sources told The Express Tribune that the legal team met after the PML-N’s Parliamentary Party meeting on Friday but could not decide whether it should file objections to the JIT report today (Saturday).
They said the legal minds of ruling family will meet again today (Saturday) morning to discuss the same issue. “If they agreed then they would file their objections today,” said a source.

The Friday’s meeting was reportedly not a pleasant one with the participants divided over the legal strategy to be adopted before the Supreme Court’s three-judge bench. Headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, the bench is going to resume hearing of Pananagate case on Monday.

It is learnt that Khawaja Haris is leading the legal team and he has prepared a draft of objections on the JIT report but one group of legal minds says the family should not file its written objections today (Saturday) and should seek more time from the bench on Monday.

The Supreme Court registrar has issued notices to all counsels for the petitioners and respondents for Monday’s hearing. However, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), which is a party in the case, has not received the notice so far.

The sources said the PM’s son Hussain Nawaz is interested to get services of his earlier counsel, Salman Akram Raja. Raja represented both Hussain and Hassan Nawaz before the larger bench, which announced Panamagate verdict. Makhdoom Ali Khan was the PM’s counsel but presently he is abroad.

A senior government official said the apex court might even summon the PM on the next hearing.

“If found necessary for passing an appropriate order in this behalf, respondent No 1 (PM) or any other person may be summoned and examined,” the apex court had said in its April 20 order.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1458427/jit-report-buy-time-file-objections/

No defections this time, party aides assure PM

LAHORE: No ‘bird’ will fly from the PML-N camp this time around even if its leader is sent packing in the Panama Papers case, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was assured by his comrades in a recent meeting in Islamabad.

But some in the opposition PTI are certain that once the premier resigns or gets disqualified, it is a matter of time that the PML-N will be in “complete disarray”.

“The prime minister has been told by his close aides that gone are the days when his party’s members changed their loyalties in testing times like the Musharraf era. This time around we have spoken to a number of party legislators ‘suspected of changing their loyalties’ but they are of the view that in their constituencies the vote is that of Nawaz Sharif and no one will take the risk of leaving the party because of this fact,” a senior PML-N leader told Dawn here on Saturday.

Some of the premier’s comrades who are not in favour of his resignation have also boasted of likening the post-Nawaz situation to that of Turkey where last July people thronged the roads to thwart a military coup. “All those who are close to the premier are upbeat that if he is sent home the reaction of the people will not be less than that of Turkey’s,” the leader said.

Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf vice chairman Shah Mahmood Qureshi, Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid president Chaudhry Shujaat Husain, Awami Muslim League chief Sheikh Rashid and PML-N’s disgruntled veteran leader Sardar Zulfiqar Khosa have predicted ‘large-scale defections’ from the ruling party the moment the bells of Mr Sharif’s departure ring. Some of them even put the number of legislators intending to leave the PML-N at around 100.

“A good number of the PML-N legislators in contact with the PTI are awaiting the moment to say goodbye to it (PML-N) as they are opposed to their party’s policy to go into a confrontation with the judiciary in the Panama Papers case. Unlike the PML-N hawks, they want Mr Sharif to shun his stubbornness and resign to let someone else replace him in parliament,” Mr Qureshi said.

He said cracks were visible in the PML-N camp and Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan’s reported episode was enough to prove the point. Mr Sharif better listen to the saner voices in his party and resign forthwith because he had lost both the moral and legal authority to stick to his office after the joint investigation team’s revelations in its report about his and his children’s offshore holdings, he said.

When asked about the PML-N’s confidence that there won’t be large-scale defections this time, he said: “Let the premier go home.”

Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said the party had “checked” with its members and “I can guarantee that not a single MNA or MPA from Punjab will defect to the PTI or form a forward bloc”.

“This time around things have changed completely. If the premier is sent packing, let me tell you, the PML-N will return to power with an overwhelming majority. “Besides, there will be a very strong reaction of the masses if the prime minister is disqualified... perhaps no one has figured it out yet.”

The minister said the legislators knew the ground realities. “Politicians are smart enough to know the ground realities of their constituencies. The political career of those who left the Sharifs in the past ended. This in not 1999 — public support is with the Sharifs and our party’s men know this.”

https://www.dawn.com/news/1345669/no-defections-this-time-party-aides-assure-pm

They are delusional if they think people will come out on the streets like Turkey, with how little they have spent on human resources.

With a day to go, Sharifs’ legal strategy still unclear
Only a day before the Supreme Court hearing, the Sharif family contacted members of their previous legal team that appeared before a five-judge larger bench in the Panamagate case. However, none of its members is available to plead the case.

Sources told The Express Tribune that Makhdoom Ali Khan, who had represented Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif during the Panamagate hearings, is engaged in London and Washington and will not be available for the next few weeks.

“Similarly, Shahid Hamid, the counsel for Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, Maryam Nawaz and her husband Safdar, is also on general adjournment till August 10 as he is also abroad.

“The family has contacted Salman Akram Raja, but it is yet to be confirmed that he would appear on behalf of Hussain Nawaz and Hassan Nawaz on Monday,” a source said.

However, Raja is also scheduled to fly abroad next week. The family has also contacted senior lawyer Khalid Anwar but surprisingly he has not consented to representing any of its member.

Sources claim the family has started contacting its previous legal team on the advice of Khawaja Haris, who is supervising the legal strategy in connection with the JIT report and he is continuously in touch with Premier Sharif and his family for the last two months.

Haris has advised separate counsel for each respondent and even offered to withdraw his services if the previous team showed willingness to appear before the court. However, the family wants to retain him as Sharif’s counsel.

Senior PML-N lawyers wonder why the ruling family is contacting other counsels at the eleventh hours, instead of relying on Haris. “I have already advised the family that no one knows the case better than Khawaja Haris and they should rely on him,” said a member of the previous legal team.

Another PML-N’s legal wizard said the Sharif family should have known from day one that they would need a counsel for every respondent as Haris could not represent every one of them technically.

“This is rather their apathy that the case is listed for Monday (tomorrow) but no objections have been filed yet. Does this mean the prime minister and his family have accepted the report?” he wondered.

The lawyer called it ‘a huge faux pas’ that objections on the JIT report were not filed on Saturday, adding that it was not only a legal but more importantly a political failure as they needed to show the people and the world about their point of view and grievances against the report.

However, this is not the first time the Sharif family’s legal strategy has been criticised by the party’s lawyers.

Firstly, the family was represented by Salman Aslam Butt and Sheikh Akram. Later, both were replaced by Makhdoom Ali Khan, Salman Akram Raja and Shahid Hamid. Khawaja Haris was the only counsel, who has assisted the family before the JIT.

However, it is expected that the final strategy will be devised in today’s (Sunday) meeting in which they will decide whether they should seek time from the court or file objections to the JIT report, which have already been drafted by Haris

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1459076/day-go-sharifs-legal-strategy-still-unclear/

Mauddib

Banned
Thankfully the remaining 3 judges seem a bit more sensible.

JIT's findings against Sharif family not binding on SC: Justice Ejaz Afzal

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Finance Minister Ishaq Dar challenged on Monday findings of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), a six-member high-powered inquiry panel tasked to probe Sharif family's offshore wealth, in the Supreme Court.

The prime minister submitted his objections on the findings of the investigative body through his counsel Khawaja Haris while Finance Minister Ishaq Dar challenged the JIT findings against him though his counsel Dr Taria Hassan, who moved a Civil Miscellaneous Application (CMA) in the top court.

In his application, PM Nawaz told the apex court that the JIT's investigation was an eyewash and was undertaken with predisposed mind to malign and implicate the ruling family in some wrongdoing.

The prime minister argued that members of the JIT exceeded their jurisdiction in obtaining documents from abroad by hiring law firms. ”The JIT has exceeded the mandate given to it by this honourable court in the order dated 20.04.2017 and thereby rendered a report which is a nullity in the eyes of the law."

PM Nawaz also objected over the representative of Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), the country's top spy agency, as JIT member. ”The said nominee of ISI was not an officer of ISI at the time of his nomination, rather he was a ‘source employee' under a contract which is not recognized as legal, and reportedly neither his association with ISI nor his pay is reflected in any official record," it said.

During Monday's hearing, the SC questioned whether Nawaz received monthly salary from FZE, an offshore company, as exposed by the JIT in its report.

Justice Azmat Saeed Sheikh observed that the JIT obtained documents related to FZE through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) from United Arab Emirates under the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) law as those were ‘certified' and not ‘source' documents.

Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, who is heading the three-judge implementation bench, observed that it was debatable whether the documents could be accepted without questioning the people who signed them. ”The JIT's findings against Sharif family are not binding on the Supreme Court," he remarked.

Source

The time for objections to the JIT itself are over, they needed to file a review 20 days from the April 20th verdict if they wanted to object to the JIT itself.

Mauddib

Banned
The time for objections to the JIT itself are over, they needed to file a review 20 days from the April 20th verdict if they wanted to object to the JIT itself.

It may be permitted under extraordinary circumstances like this one. The government might not have known about the relationship that the representative on the JIT had with the ISI until recently.

Also, it's worth taking a step back (as a citizen) and thinking about how insane it is that the fucking ISI has a seat at the table on a committee constituted by the Supreme Court to investigate a politician. Given the ISI's sordid political history, what in the world was the Court thinking?

And even worse, why is the Supreme Court, whose job it is to interpret the law, constituting an investigative team? How is that remotely within its jurisdiction?

It may be permitted under extraordinary circumstances like this one. The government might not have known about the relationship that the representative on the JIT had with the ISI until recently.

Also, it's worth taking a step back (as a citizen) and thinking about how insane it is that the fucking ISI has a seat at the table on a committee constituted by the Supreme Court to investigate a politician. Given the ISI's sordid political history, what in the world was the Court thinking?

And even worse, why is the Supreme Court, whose job it is to interpret the law, constituting an investigative team? How is that remotely within its jurisdiction?

At least read the law before you speak:

Article 190. Action in aid of Supreme Court.-All executive and judicial authorities throughout Pakistan shall act in aid of the Supreme Court.

187. Issue and execution of processes of Supreme Court.-(1) 1[Subject to clause (2) of Article 175, the] Supreme Court shall have power to issue such directions, orders or decrees as may be necessary for doing complete justice in any case or matter pending before it, including an order for the purpose of securing the attendance of any person or the discovery or production of any document.

All institutions are bound by supreme court, they are perfectly within their rights to issue orders to any agency they deem fit.

The same ISI was also commissioned by the current government in previous commissions including Dawn Leaks and model town incident. No one cried about their presence then.

I suggest you read the case judgement before speaking, judges have adequately justified their judgement in the ruling.

I am rolling my eyes into my skull at the whole "this is an ISI/ international conspiracy" crap. The oh so Pakistani problem of blaming other countries for our own problems needs to stop. We are accountable for our country, no one else.

Imran Khan has been rallying for justice for over a decade now. If he or the party truly was aligned with some international agency, they would have achieved power in the last elections. Instead this disgusting mafia like family has managed to commit mass voter fraud, continued unchecked corruption and people STILL defend this regime as though they've made "measurable gains"????

They've done nothing substantial. What IK and Pervez Khattak are doing in KPK is miles above anything the PMLN has done in Punjab. Seriously, I'm from Lahore myself and the difference between instituons like Shaukat Khanum, which is delivering excellent healthcare for charity, versus so called government or even private hospitals is like that of between heaven and Earth. There is no comparison.

That and PTI's instrumental difference of prioritising basic rights like healthcare, law/order and education over vanity infrastructure projects will reap benefits over the coming generations a thousand times over.

If PTI does NOT receive any political benefit thanks to this then Pakistan is truly lost. No sane person can look at Mr. 10%, Ganjoo and his clan, Altaf Pakora Hussain and then Imran Khan who had literally spent most of his life doing charity work for the poor and remain undecided as to who they should trust.

Sayah

I am rolling my eyes into my skull at the whole "this is an ISI/ international conspiracy" crap. The oh so Pakistani problem of blaming other countries for our own problems needs to stop. We are accountable for our country, no one else.

Imran Khan has been rallying for justice for over a decade now. If he or the party truly was aligned with some international agency, they would have achieved power in the last elections. Instead this disgusting mafia like family has managed to commit mass voter fraud, continued unchecked corruption and people STILL defend this regime as though they've made "measurable gains"????

They've done nothing substantial. What IK and Pervez Khattak are doing in KPK is miles above anything the PMLN has done in Punjab. Seriously, I'm from Lahore myself and the difference between instituons like Shaukat Khanum, which is delivering excellent healthcare for charity, versus so called government or even private hospitals is like that of between heaven and Earth. There is no comparison.

That and PTI's instrumental difference of prioritising basic rights like healthcare, law/order and education over vanity infrastructure projects will reap benefits over the coming generations a thousand times over.

If PTI does NOT receive any political benefit thanks to this then Pakistan is truly lost. No sane person can look at Mr. 10%, Ganjoo and his clan, Altaf Pakora Hussain and then Imran Khan who had literally spent most of his life doing charity work for the poor and remain undecided as to who they should trust.

Seriously....this post so much!

And LOL at bolded parts.

Summary of today's court proceedings.

Panamagate case: We have been waiting for PM's money trail since day one, SC tells Sharif's lawyer
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's senior counsel Khawaja Harris resumed his arguments in the Panama Papers case on Tuesday before the Supreme Court bench, objecting to the findings of the joint investigation team's (JIT) report, which he called "unreliable" and "misleading".

A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Ejaz Afzal and comprising Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed and Justice Ijazul Ahsan, resumed the Panamagate case on Monday, nearly three months after ordering the formation of a JIT to investigate the allegations of money laundering against the Sharif family.

During the lawyer's arguments, Justice Ijazul Ahsan remarked that the PM, despite being given the opportunity, did not ”give us anything", DawnNews reported.

”He [Nawaz sharif] was asked about his speech, but he did not answer [...] when he was asked about the London flats, he said that he did not know," said the judge.

"Don't accept, don't reveal — that seems to be the thinking," said Justice Ijazul Ahsan.

Harris told the court that the documents submitted on behalf of the Sharif family on Monday were based on legal objections. ”The JIT's opinion does not have a legal holding," he added.

Justice Ejaz Afzal replied that the judges will not look at JIT's opinion, but instead, they will take into consideration the contents of the report.

”After reviewing the report and looking over the evidence, we will decide whether the case should be transferred to the National Accountability Bureau or if the SC will make a decision regarding the disqualification of the PM," said Justice Ijazul Ahsan.

Harris maintained that a transparent trial could not be conducted on the basis of the report.

The court adjourned the hearing until tomorrow (Wednesday) when the PM's legal team will continue to present its arguments.

Harris maintained that the prime minister was detached from all family businesses and didn't participate in the family's property distribution in 2007.

”The Sharif family is very close, the whole family knew everything," said Justice Ejaz Afzal, inquiring, ”The prime minister often visited the London flats, but did not know who they belonged to?"

The PM was involved in the business only until 1985, said Harris, adding that if there were any assets other than the ones declared in the PM's tax returns, he [the PM] would answer all questions regarding them.

”If you have objections to the JIT, then you also have to present evidence," Justice Azmat Saeed told the lawyer.

”We have been waiting for the money trail and the sources of income [to be revealed] since day one," added Justice Ejaz Afzal.

The JIT was formed so that the PM and other parties in the case could give their testimonies with complete freedom, and have the opportunity to come clean. ”We thought everyone would present their positions," said Justice Ijazul Ahsan.

In his address to the nation on May 16, 2016, the PM said that a complete record of all sources of income and assets was available, but the same was not provided to the JIT. ”You have taken the burden of proof upon yourself," Justice Ijazul Ahsan told Harris.

”The prime minister should have submitted the documents to the JIT, if not to the court. He had the opportunity to do so over the course of 60 days [while the JIT was in motion]," noted Justice Ijazul Ahsan.

”The prime minister is not the owner of any offshore company, nor has he received any income from such companies," the lawyer said, maintaining that the allegations leveled against Sharif were incorrect. He told the court that Hassan Nawaz, not the prime minister, was the owner of FZE, a Dubai-based company.

The PM's lawyer objected to the documents that the JIT included in its report, some of which were obtained from the UK and UAE, saying that the documents had not been verified by any foreign government and therefore, were not authentic. ”According to the law, the documents can only be transferred via the foreign country's government," said the lawyer.

He added that verification was particularly important if the documents were obtained from a private firm in a foreign country.

”Can documents obtained from sources other than the foreign governments be rejected?" asked Justice Ejaz Afzal.

”It will have to be seen if the documents [were obtained by the JIT] in accordance with Qanoon-i-Shahadat (Law of Evidence)," said Justice Ijazul Ahsan.

Harris argued that the JIT did not have the mandate to recommend reopening cases, yet, in its final report, the team had recommended to reopen 15 cases against the PM. Among the 15 cases are five that have already been decided by the Lahore High Court (LHC). ”The JIT has mentioned cases that have already been quashed; the LHC decided upon the Hudaibiya Paper Mills reference as well," Harris asserted.

”Are you saying that the Hudaibiya case cannot be reopened?" questioned Justice Ejaz Afzal. The lawyer, in response, said that it did not have any connection to the Sharifs' flats in London's upscale Park Lane neighborhood, which were under scrutiny.

”Are you saying that the cases that have been closed cannot be rechecked on the basis of the questions?" asked Justice Ejaz Afzal, referring to the 13 questions asked by the JIT.

The lawyer told the court that the JIT had exceeded its mandate and asked ”15 questions instead of 13".

”The court wants to see the answers to the questions it had put forward," Justice Azmat Saeed remarked. ”Whether or not the Hudaibiya Paper Mills reference is to be included in this case will have to be decided by the trial court," said Justice Ejaz Afzal. ”All cases are heavily connected with each other."

https://www.dawn.com/news/1346077/p...y-trail-since-day-one-sc-tells-sharifs-lawyer

Top Bottom