• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panzer Dragoon Gameplay || Nintendo Switch Trailer

Kazza

Interview with a Polish site:

- the company president, Zbigniew Dębicki, was surprised by the positive reaction
- they plan to release a remake of a cult classic every 12-18 months
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei already in pre-production (estimated time of release mid-2021)
- negotiations already underway on another classic IP (doesn't say which, but I hope it's another Sega Saturn one - Burning Rangers please!)
- they plan to release Panzer Dragoon by March 2020
- there will be a physical version available

A potentially interesting bit of info here, but the auto-translation isn't very clear. Any GAF Polish speakers?

The publisher of "Panzer Dragoon Remake" is Forever Entertainment, and the subsidiary company, MegaPixel Studio. A small budget has been allocated for the game, which is why it is enough to sell so that the production starts to earn a profit. The company does not provide estimated sales that it expects from the new production.

Wydawcą „Panzer Dragoon Remake” jest Forever Entertainment, a producentem zależna spółka, MegaPixel Studio. Na grę został przeznaczony mały budżet, dlatego wystarczy mała sprzedaż, aby produkcja zaczęła na siebie zarabiać. Spółka nie podaje szacunkowej sprzedaży jakiej spodziewa się z nowej produkcji.

I original heard of the article from Segabits

Hudo

Interview with a Polish site:

- the company president, Zbigniew Dębicki, was surprised by the positive reaction
- they plan to release a remake of a cult classic every 12-18 months
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei already in pre-production (estimated time of release mid-2021)
- negotiations already underway on another classic IP (doesn't say which, but I hope it's another Sega Saturn one - Burning Rangers please!)
- they plan to release Panzer Dragoon by March 2020
- there will be a physical version available

A potentially interesting bit of info here, but the auto-translation isn't very clear. Any GAF Polish speakers?

I original heard of the article from Segabits
FUCKING YES!

Kazza

A Polish friend of mine kindly translated that last bit for me. That paragraph basically says that the game has a very low budget, so it doesn't need to sell that many to make a profit.

Mixed feelings about this. It being low budget is obviously a bummer (but I think we all knew this anyway, plus what we've seen so far looks good despite the low budget). On the other hand, I'm glad they have realistic expectations regarding sales. I hate it when a game actually does pretty well sales-wise, but the publisher is still unhappy due to unrealistic expectations (example, Sleeping Dogs). If the first one sells well, hopefully they will decide to invest a bit more into the budget for Zwei.

Kazza

I nice summary of everything that is known about the game:

Most important points (imo):
- they aim for 1-1 with the original in terms of story and gameplay (no extra levels)
- they are in regular contact with Sega to get feedback on the game
- will include both original and remastered music
- will get a physical Switch release (physical edition for other platforms unconfirmed)
- expected to release this upcoming winter (so should be out by March 2020)

The same guy who made the summary also filmed some gameplay at Gamescom (nice view about the screen, but you may want to turn the volume up to max):

ajim

I nice summary of everything that is known about the game:

Most important points (imo):
- they aim for 1-1 with the original in terms of story and gameplay (no extra levels)
- they are in regular contact with Sega to get feedback on the game
- will include both original and remastered music
- will get a physical Switch release (physical edition for other platforms unconfirmed)
- expected to release this upcoming winter (so should be out by March 2020)

The same guy who made the summary also filmed some gameplay at Gamescom (nice view about the screen, but you may want to turn the volume up to max):

Thanks for the summary. Can't wait.

Kazza

Interview with the producer (in French, but with English subtitles):

The producer seems a little impatient, pissed off even, but maybe he's just being French :messenger_beaming:

Some old info confirmed, and also some new:
- they won't be an emulated version of the original Saturn game included as an unlockable (as in Orta). He said they are using Unity, and that doing emulation in that would be too time consuming
- they considered adding a mode where you could use the original models, but again, it was judged to be a little too difficult and time consuming, so they decided against it
- hinted again that this will come to other platforms (looks like being a timed Switch exclusive - Nintendo are helping with marketing)
- physical confirmed, but no collections edition planned
- framerate and resolution still unconfirmed
- release of second game is not dependent on sales of the first, as the deal with Sega is for both games. It will come out regardless
- they might include other modes (for example a boss rush mode)

That's all I can remember.

They also had a chat with DF Retro's John Linneman, and got his impressions about the game. He said he was 70/30 positive/negative. Like many others, he feels the new graphics negatively affects the desolate atmosphere of the originals. He also feels the colour palette is a little too warm (although the producer has already confirmed that there will be colour filters, so users can just choose a cooler palette)

Am I the only one who think it looks pretty meh? Like... the Switch is more powerful than the OG Xbox right? No reason this shouldn't look better than Orta.

h0ghead

Interview with the producer (in French, but with English subtitles):

- release of second game is not dependent on sales of the first, as the deal with Sega is for both games. It will come out regardless

YES!! I really don't enjoy the firs game all that much, but Zwei is probably the best rail shooter of all time. So fucking hype (Especially if it comes to PC).

Top Bottom