• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Monsters released on Steam without developer's consent by Strategy First

Almighty

Well this thread has made me put Strategy First on my do not buy list. It's the stories in this thread that make me love how digital has taken over PC gaming. Now developers can self publish and cut out shady publishers like Strategy First.

Damn chubs, who did you piss off in a past life to warrant such bad luck as an indie developer?

It's the stories in this thread that make me love how digital has taken over PC gaming. Now developers can self publish and cut out shady publishers like Strategy First.

Not really, steam has overwhelming market and mindshare, and in chubs case they wouldn't let him on the service. Meanwhile charlatans at strategy first and clowns like those WarZ developers were free to flog their shite.

Almighty

Not really, steam has overwhelming market and mindshare, and in chubs case they wouldn't let him on the service. Meanwhile charlatans at strategy first and clowns like those WarZ developers were free to flog their shite.

Hasn't Greenlight more or less addressed that problem? Sure it's not perfect as some crap games get through very fast and some good games languish for a long time, but Steam for good or bad is hardly the impenetrable fortress for indie developers it once was.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Don't let these scumbags get away with it. Go to a small claims court immediately and try to get your money.

Can't you contact Steam to find out how many copies of your game were sold?

It never did get on Steam, but got on other websites, and there's no way a site like Amazon would disclose sales to a dev like that, which is understandable.

I'll give SF a few weeks to clear things up then I'll start looking at legal options.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It would seem that, as chubigans had feared, Strategy First was indeed planning on releasing The Oil Blue on Steam without prior approval:

Looks like your concerns were well-founded, chubigans:

Changed name Steam Sub 38558 › Oil Blue for Beta Testing 9 minutes ago

The sub itself actually contains Mashed, though, so while Strategy First was obviously planning to release your game without consent it did have a change of heart!

Top Bottom