• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Interactive Joins Forces with Microsoft to Launch Paradox Mods, a new Independent Modding Platform, on Xbox One and PC.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news?m...ependent Modding Platform, on Xbox One and PC

STOCKHOLM - February 20, 2019 - Paradox Interactive announced today that it has joined forces with Microsoft to bring Paradox Mods, the first-ever open modding platform that enables distribution of user-created game modifications (mods) across multiple platforms, to Xbox One and is now available as a free update to survival-strategy game Surviving Mars. With Paradox Mods, mod creators can easily share their work with players on Xbox One and PC (using GoG or the Paradox Launcher) with a single upload. While Surviving Mars is the first to utilize Paradox Mods, support for other Paradox titles is planned to come later this year. Check out what’s available on Paradox Mods here: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/

For Players: Launching with over 30 mods tested and ready for console players for Surviving Mars, Paradox Mods includes projects from recognized creators within the modding community such as Silva and ChoGGi. Players now have even more ways to enjoy the survival strategy sim whether it’s adding a self-sufficient Forest Greenhouse or building a Martian Car Wash. Simply log into your Paradox Account from the Surviving Mars title screen, open the “Mod Manager” at the bottom of the screen to browse the mods catalogue, then select mods that you want to play and the game will automatically download and add them to your playing experience.

For Modders: Paradox Mods is the first direct pipeline modders have to publish their work on consoles. Featuring in-game and web interfaces that enable easy distribution, Paradox Mods allows mod creators to submit their creation once and have it made available on every platform -- no extra steps required.

“Modding has been, and remains an important part of the Paradox community. As we have diversified the way we distribute our games, we want to make sure all our players can take part in the creation process,” said Anders Törlind, Product Owner for Paradox Mods. “For Surviving Mars, we have worked with mod creators to support Paradox Mods with some of the best mods available, all in one place and downloadable in-game or simply using a web browser. We really look forward to unlocking the world of modding for all members of our community, regardless of what system they are using to play our games.”

Lucumo

Yeah, saw that yesterday. Not much of a fan of this as I would prefer third-parties like Nexus or ModDB. It's still better than the shitty, gated Steam Workshop though.

Ovek

7Member7
Launching with over 30 mods tested and ready for console players

Yeah curated mods on console, just what is the point? And if I was a mod developer do I want the aggravation of trying to pass some sort of testing? No I fucking wouldn’t when I’m not getting paid, I would want to stick it on modDB with a big fat disclaimer of if it works it works, if it doesn’t tough shit.

Reeks of free DLC for Paradox built by players played of as “something good” for the community.

That and the only mods that will pass “testing” will be the most boring and banal mods submitted to it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see them saying they have made it impossible to offer PC mods outside the platform. It's always good to have mods on more platforms like console and no first party is going to accept a free for all in that way, people expect consoles to "just work" (even if lately they often don't, haha) and would accuse them if anything went wrong with their saves or whatever else or even dubious content a mod included because most console users simply don't know any better. If this platform existed for something like X-Com I'm sure the serious devs with popular mods like Long War would have worked to get it on console, and if not oh well, you're not forced to use the mods you find boring and banal and nobody's going to force modders to go through certification so those not interested can steer clear and not show any interest in that side, they're not harmed in any way. Besides, if consoles are gonna be more open in the future to end up with that free for all you get on PC they have to start somewhere, like a platform like this, to ease users in and make mods a part of console gaming that even your average joe eventually understands fully. For a current free for all platform where every random mod is available and works on the console to be viable it'd have to be a much more limited modding framework so they can control the content without certifying each which would be the worse option and limit the PC side more inherently by the tools.

Last edited:

Alexios

That's pretty cool, but "curated mods" just sounds like "monetized mods" to me.
That would suck. But Paradox is pretty open with modding on PC and releases tons of DLC to profit from itself anyway, it would take some convincing to go in such a separate direction on Xbox.

Curated could just mean not every PC mod will make it over automatically to avoid problems console users aren't accustomed to dealing with, I wouldn't want to deal with a tech support flooded over stuff the mods change/actually break either in their shoes.

Though I'm not against the idea of paid mods, it can work if it's for the devs to get the most benefit and even then not every modder would try to monetize his fan stuff just because they may have the ability, expectations will also be higher if they do try that so it's up to the users.

Last edited:
A more appropriate strategy here IMO would be paid mods support where all paid mods go through quality controls, testing and approvals.

With controls in place to let IP holders set revenue commissions for mods on a per game basis.

Have a 5% platform fee and then all free mods bypass certification and can be distributed and shared freely.

That way you enforce quality controls on paid mods and also set a baseline income stream to actually pay for the operational cost of testing and cert, as well as make money for the platform.

And everybody wins...

Shifty

That's, uh, interesting. Reminds me of this classic in its own way:

standards.png

Alexios

That's, uh, interesting. Reminds me of this classic in its own way:

standards.png
I don't think Paradox wants to set a new standard for others to follow, it's just how they want to try and better support mods for their own games. Until a first party does make a standard akin to something like Steam Workshop but actually working (I mean, I''ve been heavily into mods and barely use it but maybe it's better than I think) why shouldn't they try it? People are still free to ignore it and deliver mods through whatever means they did before as far as I can tell so it's not even forcing a standard for their own games on PC. I don't think it's a bad idea to have a nice site or whatever to find mods for your Paradox games, I don't really like how any of the current mod sites are set up and none of them are all encompassing, it seems that for the last 20 years we haven't really seen any evolution in this aspect, moddb is the same as it always was, similarly for the nexus, great mods can still only be found on random forums, others were lost when sites like the planet-whatever went down, etc. It's also nice to see a big company give a large - and successfully done - focus and support to modding, I don't think we've seen it from many since the days of good old Valve with the original Half-Life and later 2 and Epic's last attempt with Unreal Tournament 2004. I guess Bethesda counts but I found mods for other games far more valuable as they more commonly went beyond just new quests and items and whatever and went for more total conversions or substantial expansions or changes. Then again these days devs with that passion and skill can make new games as indies with freely available engines. But there are still many that are driven to make mods as fans of either the games, or existing IP they can't use commercially, or both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom