• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradoxical Crystal has properties of metal and insulator, baffles scientists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/paradoxical-crystal-baffles-physicists/

IN A DECEPTIVELY drab black crystal, physicists have stumbled upon a baffling behavior, one that appears to blur the line between the properties of metals, in which electrons flow freely, and those of insulators, in which electrons are effectively stuck in place. The crystal exhibits hallmarks of both simultaneously.

Original story reprinted with permission from Quanta Magazine, an editorially independent division of SimonsFoundation.org whose mission is to enhance public understanding of science by covering research developments and trends in mathematics and the physical and life sciences.

“This is a big shock,” said Suchitra Sebastian, a condensed matter physicist at the University of Cambridge whose findings appeared this month in an advance online edition of the journal Science. Insulators and metals are essentially opposites, she said. “But somehow, it’s a material that’s both. It’s contrary to everything that we know.”

The material, a much-studied compound called samarium hexaboride or SmB6, is an insulator at very low temperatures, meaning it resists the flow of electricity. Its resistance implies that electrons (the building blocks of electric currents) cannot move through the crystal more than an atom’s width in any direction. And yet, Sebastian and her collaborators observed electrons traversing orbits millions of atoms in diameter inside the crystal in response to a magnetic field—a mobility that is only expected in materials that conduct electricity. Calling to mind the famous wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics, the new evidence suggests SmB6 might be neither a textbook metal nor an insulator, Sebastian said, but “something more complicated that we don’t know how to imagine.”

“It is just a magnificent paradox,” said Jan Zaanen, a condensed matter theorist at Leiden University in the Netherlands. “On the basis of established wisdoms this cannot possibly happen, and henceforth completely new physics should be at work.”

It is too soon to tell what, if anything, this “new physics” will be good for, but physicists like Victor Galitski, of the University of Maryland, College Park, say it is well worth the effort to find out. “Oftentimes,” he said, “big discoveries are really puzzling things, like superconductivity.” That phenomenon, discovered in 1911, took nearly half a century to understand, and it now generates the world’s most powerful magnets, such as those that accelerate particles through the 17-mile tunnel of the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

Theorists have already begun to venture guesses as to what might be going on inside SmB6. One promising approach models the material as a higher-dimensional black hole.

more at link.

So wow, seems this crystal defies all explanations, and both insulate and be a super conductor, but it still belongs to no known class of materials. Scientists literally have no idea how it does what it does, but of course, scientists say its dual properties could be amazing for quantum computing.

Also higher dimensional black holes? yeah wrap your mind around it.

Science GAF, amazing shit.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I.. kind of don't understand. Isn't that what we call a semiconductor?

simplayer

I.. kind of don't understand. Isn't that what we call a semiconductor?

Kind of.

We dope the semiconductor to create zones of excess electrons and fewer electrons (p and n regions).

We then create a potential difference across an n-p-n region that opens up a channel.

This sounds a little different in that the crystal is uniform, and a magnetic field is used rather than an electric field.

Aureon

Kind of.

We dope the semiconductor to create zones of excess electrons and fewer electrons (p and n regions).

We then create a potential difference across an n-p-n region that opens up a channel.

This sounds a little different in that the crystal is uniform, and a magnetic field is used rather than an electric field.

Will have to get some decent sources, WIRED's attempt to explain it to general public could be condensed in "IT'S SO COOL! SO REVOLUTIONARY! SO FUTURE! SO QUANTISTIC! ... we really have no clue, tho..."

simplayer

Will have to get some decent sources, WIRED's attempt to explain it to general public could be condensed in "IT'S SO COOL! SO REVOLUTIONARY! SO FUTURE! SO QUANTISTIC! ... we really have no clue, tho..."

Yes, science reporting, as per usual, is terrible.

KarmaCow

When science's job is to know shit, it's understandable that scientists get all giddy and excited when they don't know what the hell is going on.

There's that, then there's casually dropping that the material could resemble higher dimensional black holes because it sounds cool with no explanation.

Kimawolf

There's that, then there's casually dropping that the material could resemble higher dimensional black holes because it sounds cool with no explanation.

Well, the article does try to explain it some, but man it sounds really complicated.

“The Fermi surface is like that in copper; it’s like that in silver; it’s like that in gold,” said Li, whose group reported surface-level quantum oscillations in Science in December. “Not just metals… these are very good metals.”

Somehow, at low temperatures and in the presence of a magnetic field, the strongly correlated electrons in SmB6 can move like those in the most conductive metals, even though they cannot conduct electricity. How can the crystal behave like both a metal and an insulator?

Contamination of the samples might seem likely, if not for another surprising discovery: Not only did Sebastian, Tan and their collaborators find quantum oscillations in an insulator, but the form of the oscillations—namely, how quickly they grew in amplitude as the temperature decreased—greatly diverged from the predictions of a universal formula for conventional metals. Every metal ever tested has conformed to this Lifshitz-Kosevich formula (named for Arnold Kosevich and Evgeny Lifshitz), suggesting that the quantum oscillations in SmB6 come from an entirely new physical phenomenon. “If it were coming from something trivial, like inclusions of some other materials, it would have followed the Lifshitz-Kosevich formula,” Galitski said. “So I think it’s a real effect.”

Amazingly, the observed deviation from the Lifshitz-Kosevich formula was presaged in 2010 by Sean Hartnoll and Diego Hofman, both then at Harvard University, in a paper that recast strongly correlated materials as higher-dimensional black holes
, those infinitely steep curves in space-time predicted by Albert Einstein. In their paper, Hartnoll and Hofman investigated the effect of strong correlations in metals by calculating corresponding properties of their simpler black hole model—specifically, how long an electron could orbit the black hole before falling in. “I had calculated what would replace this Lifshitz-Kosevich formula in more exotic metals,” said Hartnoll, who is now at Stanford University. “And indeed it seems that the form [Sebastian] has found can be matched with this formula that I derived.”

Jenov

tumblr_inline_mw4omsVCRL1qddp7g.jpg

Aureon

When science's job is to know shit, it's understandable that scientists get all giddy and excited when they don't know what the hell is going on.

No, we're talking about reporters.

Kimawolf

yeah, i can't wait to see what Engineers, material scientists and the experimental physicists will come up once they figure out how to really USE it.

Somehow, at low temperatures and in the presence of a magnetic field, the strongly correlated electrons in SmB6 can move like those in the most conductive metals, even though they cannot conduct electricity. How can the crystal behave like both a metal and an insulator?

quotes like that make me think, whaa, so what is it really?

gaugebozo

So it sounds like the connection to black holes is actually an Anti-Desitter/Conformal Quantum Field Theory (ADS/CFT) duality. People have found that in many cases, a quantum theory has certain connections to gravitational theories in higher dimensions. The higher dimension gravitational theory is easier to solve than the quantum one, so you can do calculations in the gravity one to get results that describe a quantum field theory in our world. You can think of this like a hologram--it encodes information in a lower dimensional representation. Your eye is tricked into thinking it's three dimensional, but really it's a difficult preparation in two dimensions. Mathematically ADS/CFT has never been proved, but has been used in a number of different experimental predictions.

If this ends up being a good result (and is ADS/CFT), it's looking like there are some very likely Nobel prizes to go around.

So it sounds like the connection to black holes is actually an Anti-Desitter/Conformal Quantum Field Theory (ADS/CFT) duality. People have found that in many cases, a quantum theory has certain connections to gravitational theories in higher dimensions. The higher dimension gravitational theory is easier to solve than the quantum one, so you can do calculations in the gravity one to get results that describe a quantum field theory in our world. You can think of this like a hologram--it encodes information in a lower dimensional representation. Your eye is tricked into thinking it's three dimensional, but really it's a difficult preparation in two dimensions. Mathematically ADS/CFT has never been proved, but has been used in a number of different experimental predictions.

If this ends up being a good result (and is ADS/CFT), it's looking like there are some very likely Nobel prizes to go around.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for the insight.

Also, I love your username.

rexor0717

This is the most mind-warping shit. Well, most of quantum physics is, but stuff with higher dimensions is especially interesting.

RiverBed

Banned
I'm not a material engineer, but this makes me think of the possibility to have controlled conductive and insulation properties of a material via a magnetic field. This is like suspensions in luxury cars where a material is solid or liquid depending on an electrical current.

Yeah this doesn't sound like the doped silicon/germanium we see currently in the semiconductors business. I am more of a circuits guy with lighter theory. Can anyone find/link a better article? I guess I could check IEEE Xplore.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This sounds very cool but I feel like all of the "it BAFFLES scientists" stuff is sensationalist nonsense. From the sounds of it they discovered some very interesting properties of this material. That's very cool.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What happens if the current goes through, and you turn the switching thingie and it gets trapped inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom