• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount builds first PSP movie website for direct downloads

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is very very interesting.

Paramount Pictures Interactive Marketing has built the first movie web site specifically for PlayStation Portable. PSP users who have downloaded the PSP 2.0 operating system will be able to surf wirelessly to access the PSP-exclusive site for “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” starring Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson and directed by six-time Academy Award nominee Jim Sheridan

Built specifically to take advantage of PSP’s aspect ratio and surfing capabilities, the site will contain trailers, wallpapers, webisodes, and photos that PSP users can download directly to their PSP devices. Commenting on the announcement, Powell said, “We’re thrilled to have built the first movie-related PSP-specific site — it’s just one example of how we’re always looking for new ways to reach online moviegoers. As we move into a mobile world, it’s important to be aware of the ways advances in technology affect information access. In addition, ‘Get Rich or Die Tryin” is a perfect match for the first PSP-exclusive movie site; the PSP is huge in the hip-hop community and 50’s fans are avid PSP users.”

Prior to the “Get Rich or Die Tryin’” PSP site, PSP users who wanted to play movie trailers would first download the trailer to their desktops, then transfer the file to the handheld device. With the release of PSP’s OS 2.0, users can now browse the internet with the device, downloading information directly to the PSP. With the introduction of http://www.50psp.com, Paramount Pictures introduces the first film site designed specifically for the device. Sony has sold upwards of six million PSP units worldwide with an expected total unit sales of 12 million by the end of 2005, a rate which has already far outpaced the introduction of the iPod. A recent report from Sony also indicated that an anticipated $250 million of UMD movies will be sold by year- end, making the PSP the fastest growing multi-media platform ever, beating the first year numbers during the launch of both the iPod and the DVD player combined.

Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, one of the biggest and most popular stars in hip-hop, is the charismatic driving force behind “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” a hard-hitting drama directed by six-time Oscar nominee Jim Sheridan about an orphaned street kid who makes his mark in the drug trade but finally dares to leave the violence behind and become the rap artist he was meant to be.

Didn't know that the PSP has taken off faster than the ipod. 0__0

Download it now. Its pretty cool. The concept is great. I wish Sony can capitalize on this downloading movies from the internet idea. Download it and let me know what you think.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was bitching about this earlier, now Paramount might forceme to eat my words...

...LIKE SNACKS!!!

(oh wait, I just checked it out. Not the same thing as I meant. I want a movie version of iTunes.)

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I think day by day, the the 'Playstation' part of the PSP acronym is becoming less important. And this may be one of the reasons that both Sony and Nintendo mean it when they say that they are not competing with each other. I don't think Sony is at all worried by the fact that it is getting less software support than Nintendo at this point as it seems that PSP is about to become the portable video play of choice, in fact, I wouldn't be suprised if by 2007 there are half as many games coming out for the PSP compared to DS.

mckmas8808

Jonnyram said:
Seriously?

Yes fiscal year they are expecting to sell 12 million PSPs.

(oh wait, I just checked it out. Not the same thing as I meant. I want a movie version of iTunes.)

What do you mean a movie version? You mean the whole movie?

they should've just put it on iTunes video store.

Why when 2 million people in the US and about 1 million people in EU already have the PSP? I'm sure that's close to 3 million more Ipod videos that people have.

Razoric

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Seriously?

- 1st Christmas in 2 major territories

- GTA

- Already 6 million sold and counting.

It has a chance but I think it's looking more like 10 million by the end of 2005.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
Guys, come on.

Sony's original statement was to sell 12 million PSPs by fiscal year end. They upgraded it to 13 million a couple months ago. I think Paramount is a little misinformed. PSP is at 6 million sold right now. Can they do another 6 million in the last two and a half months? I doubt it. They can probably push 4 million sold though in the last two and a half months between the big 3 territories.

mckmas8808

Jonnyram said:
Guys, come on.

Probably a mistake more than anything. The article also compares ipods hw numbers to PSPs hw numbers.

I bet next month we will have this.

Prediction Ipod, PSP, DS, and GBM hw numbers.

Top Bottom