• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper coming to PSP?

Picked this up on PSPupdates:

A legendary Playstation character is about to find his way to the PSP. He's short, has funny hair, carries a 'groovy' sense of fashion, and is on a journey to become a top Rapper and (of course) get the girl. Yes, it's PaRappa the Rapper! No official announcement has been made, but the game has been featured in hardcore gaming magazine Famitsu. If you can't remember PaRappa the Rapper we'll give you a brief overview.

PaRappa is a music lover and to achieve his goals (whatever the main goal will be in the PSP version), you have to go along with the cheerful jungles of the game, pressing the corresponding buttons at the correct time to turn these cheerful jingles into a hit song.

Past experiences for PaRappa included driving, working in a Flea Market and learning Kung Fu, all to impress a girl that looked like a flower. Despite the oddity of the game it was a big hit with gamers and was highly addictive. We'll have more on this when we receive an official press release, which we hope is very soon - we loved this game!

DCharlie

Banned
apparently so - although i'd heard this was going to be a port of the PS1 version , this makes me wonder what the hell is going on with PS1 emu?

Might not be true though (that its a ps1 port)

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
PaRappa has funny hair? Correct me if I'm wrong, but was he ever shown without his hat?

Although, as a dog, I suppose he's completely covered with hair, but that hardly seems "funny."

demi

Maybe this will increase the price of the original on eBay, about to put my PS1 copy on there.

GDGF

Soothsayer
If you want to test me I'm sure you'll find (that a touch screen would have been usefull, but whatever)

This is a game that should have been on PSP since jump.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Parappa the Rapper hasn't really aged well. It was great for its time since it pretty much brought life to the music genre in America, and it had some pretty awesome lyrics/songs (for the first game at least)...but the game isn't really difficult at all compared to the music/rhythm games we have today

**** Parappa the Rapper, put Vib Ribbon on PSP. With MP3 playback, Vib Ribbon PSP would ****ing rock

kenta

Has no PEINS
Heck yeah, I can go for some more PaRappa action. It's pretty dated by modern rhythm game standards though, so I hope they "reinvent" it for lack of a better word

Edit: o hay w64

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, that would be awesome if true. At the very least, make it an improved port of the first game (or rather, the superior Umjammer Lammy). Straight port would suck, especially with the PS1 emulator coming soon. :/

Another music-themed game coming to PSP that isn't getting enough hype is Traxion by LucasArts. Its really not a rhythm game, it examines your saved mp3s a creates a game based on the type of music you have. It seems to check ID3 tags as well as the waveform.

There's "dozens" of game templates, but they are altered based on the music analysis.

2screenshottraxion480movif3.png

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/traxion/

It sounds like it could be the logical progression of Lumines, in that it blends audio and video in an interesting way.

I hope this is a new game, and I hope Nana-On-Sha comes out of their slump. I <3 Parappa series forever.

Oh, and I hope I find a PSP somewhere so I can play it.

Didn't Rodney Greenblat "retire" from the game industry?

Senretsu

Wario64 said:
Parappa the Rapper hasn't really aged well. It was great for its time since it pretty much brought life to the music genre in America, and it had some pretty awesome lyrics/songs (for the first game at least)...but the game isn't really difficult at all compared to the music/rhythm games we have today

I agree, I recently played Parappa and breezed through it. I remember playing it back when it first come out with fond memories, and struggling on the flea market level, finally getting to free style. Seems like music games today are more involving than Parappa. Though it has the most memorable songs I've ever heard. "In the rain or in the snow, I've got the funky flow, but now, I really gotta go!" :lol Parappa 2 was a terrible game.

geez :/ I'd say PaRappa 1 has aged about as well as any game can. It's no less fun that it was when I first played the demo all those years ago. Just a perfect package all around.

PaRappa 2 is, of course, total ass

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
sugarhigh4242 said:
It seems to check ID3 tags as well as the waveform.
Oh man, that's an f'n *amazing* idea!! Screw the Parappa, if this works the way I think it does, and if the game is any good, it will re-invent the way music games are made.

Just copy/paste the "codes" for songs (that someone with some skill creates and puts on internet, or even Lucasarts people themselves), paste that into the Comments field in the ID3 for the MP3, put that MP3 on PSP and the game reads the codes and makes the playfield for you!! I can already imagine something like Frequency / Amplitude working like this with pretty much any song you want, just as long as someone is willing to sit down and do the handiwork for popular songs.

It's very different to have something half-random generated like Vib-Ribbon to something that was hand generated like Freq/Amp/GH.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yes, oh hell yes. All the PaRappa town games are basically the best things ever (well, except for the second half of PaRappa 2, but I forgot that ever happened ;).

PS: PaRappa > Vib-Ribbon by a large margain. PaRappa (and Lammy, too) is infintely charming, vib-ribbon, while cute, loses its appeal after a while. It's a neat idea, but I was fairly let down once I got to play it. I don't know, while PaRappa's gameplay is simplistic, it totally works.

So yeah, please be true. Please. I'd probably fill my pants to such a large degree if this was a new game, only slightly less if it was a port.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Greenpanda said:
geez :/ I'd say PaRappa 1 has aged about as well as any game can. It's no less fun that it was when I first played the demo all those years ago. Just a perfect package all around.

PaRappa 2 is, of course, total ass

THIS man speaks the MF'in truth!

Between this and an original Wild ARMS... I might have a reason to buy a new game for my PSP instead of just renting a few.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SS4Gogita said:
If you want to test me, I'm sure you'll find
The lessons I'll teach ya is sure to beat ya

And yeah, Lammy > Parappa.
Except for that Yoko Teriyaki stage.

NEVER BUY JOE CHIN'S CHAINS NO!

Marconelly said:
Oh man, that's an f'n *amazing* idea!! Screw the Parappa, if this works the way I think it does, and if the game is any good, it will re-invent the way music games are made.

Just copy/paste the "codes" for songs (that someone with some skill creates and puts on internet, or even Lucasarts people themselves), paste that into the Comments field in the ID3 for the MP3, put that MP3 on PSP and the game reads the codes and makes the playfield for you!! I can already imagine something like Frequency / Amplitude working like this with pretty much any song you want, just as long as someone is willing to sit down and do the handiwork for popular songs.

It's very different to have something half-random generated like Vib-Ribbon to something that was hand generated like Freq/Amp/GH.

the game does work with any song. I read one thing it does is read the "Genre" tag, and that sort of alters the "mood" of the artwork, and of course, there's the predictable visualization kind of effects in the background generated from the waveform.

If the games themselves are actually fun, this is going to be a major achievement on the PSP.

bobbyconover said:
I'm so touched by all the Lammy love in this thread! ;_;

Parappa started it all, but Lammy is the true classic.

While Lammy is definitely the better of the two (except for the ****ing Teriyaki Yoko stage, as someone mentioned), both of them are so awesome. Even seeing Parappa-series-related threads on GAF makes me happy.

And Parappa 2 is worthwhile, if only for the incredibly bizarre Chop Chop Master Onion stage.

Midas

darthbane2k said:
and the final irony is that this type of game would be far better suited to a DS :D :lol

Yeah, the DS could emulate the original PlayStations touch screen perfect!

Midas said:
Yeah, the DS could emulate the original PlayStations touch screen perfect!

who said anything about touch screen? I simply meant the non-seriousness/quirkyness of it thats all.

No need to get offended now.

Stink

darthbane2k said:
who said anything about touch screen? I simply meant the non-seriousness/quirkyness of it thats all.

I must be playing locoroco, gitaroo man lives and me and my katamari wrong.

the year 20XX said:
While Lammy is definitely the better of the two (except for the ****ing Teriyaki Yoko stage, as someone mentioned), both of them are so awesome. Even seeing Parappa-series-related threads on GAF makes me happy.

And Parappa 2 is worthwhile, if only for the incredibly bizarre Chop Chop Master Onion stage.

Totally, Parappa kicks huge amounts of ass. I was just very pleasantly surprised to see how many people in this thread are into Lammy. When it released I remember the reviews and general reactions being fairly negative, which pretty much broke my heart, so I figured it was still widely considered a disappointment.

I agree with Lambtron about Parappa 2 -- it's great until the x-treme moose shows up. What a total waste of a potentially great Parappa 1 tie-in! They should've gone with a Fleaswallow relative, if anything. The first half is awesome though, despite its numerous weird offenses... Boom Box tutorial guy, I'm looking at you! :(

darthbane2k said:

That's true, the DS's built-in QwerkyAccelerator (designed by Texas Instruments) helps make games quirkier than most game titles in other systems.

Christ...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
the year 20XX said:
Love punching...

I liked the that, Guru Ant, and God Burger stages a lot. Nothing else really stood out.

sammyjojo

I thought milk was pink...

Parappa is all kinds of awesome. One of my all time favorite games. I really didn't like Parappa 2 though. The songs in that one just didn't do it for me, there weren't as fun as the first one.

Umjammer Lammy was great also, I don't really know why some people that like Parappa don't like it. They took the parappa game mechanics and made them way better and since it's guitar sounds instead of lyrics the songs don't sound so weird when you play your part.

For all you parappa loving fans, there's an interesting interview at gamasutra with Rodney Greenblat (created the characters for Parappa & Lammy), it a good read to know what it was like behind the scenes from Parappa to Parappa 2.

Top Bottom