• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patent filed to seat airline passengers in lower luggage decks w/ virtual windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
But then whats up with overweight fees?

Overweight fees are just that. A way to get more money out of people flying with a large amount of luggage. There definitely is a max allowable weight for each plane, though you rarely come close to hitting it on larger commercial jets. It's more an issue for puddle jumpers and personal craft.

I can see this resulting in more expensive luggage fees in the long term as they try to cram more people in.s?

They sell unused cargo space to companies called IACS (indirect air carriers). Pretty much every passenger flight in the air has cargo unrelated to the passengers onboard. More unrelated cargo probably

Overweight fees are just that. A way to get more money out of people flying with a large amount of luggage. There definitely is a max allowable weight for each plane, though you rarely come close to hitting it on larger commercial jets. It's more an issue for puddle jumpers and personal craft.

It depends. The real issue is you usually can't take off with max fuel at max takeoff weight (MTOW). It's usually one or the other. Taking off at MTOW limits your range, if you need range it limits your MTOW.

Okay two questions.

1) Why the hell is there this unused space on planes already? The entire industry is/was having major financial trouble and you''re telling me every single plane is flying with all this space unused?

2)Why does this need a patent? How is this allowed? It's just putting chairs somewhere else on a plane. You're telling me every city that ever redesigns their busses gets a patent?

I think the patent relates to all the modifications needed on the plane to allow passengers in the cargo area, which may be many.

Also, who gives a shit about windows? Give me more leg room and cheaper prices and I'll be there day one.

latest

Does that mean we'll get tossed out before the plane lands?

But seriously I wouldn't mind if the planes to New Zealand did this. Absolutely no point in windows during those overnight flights.

I don't think the fee is related to the actual weight the plan can carry. I believe it's related to how much fuel they'll need. The more weight the more fuel is needed.

Some one also has to handle all that weight. Those guys have to move fast as it is. 50lb bags are heavy enough to pick up and set down repeatedly.

Isn't the post office one of the biggest users of cargo space on airliners?

Carcetti

They talk about luxury seating but everyone knows Ryanair will just stack people in cargo piles and stick catheters in them to save on toilet costs.

Madness

If it's cheaper, I'd have no problem with it.

I hate flying, though, and only do it when I have to. Once or twice a year.

Not only cheaper, fuck the windows. Just give me a larger screen I can pull off the wall, view as a television and put back and use it as a window or anything really, make it play aquarium fish, make it one of these Christmas themed fireplace logs etc.

But this won't end well. They'll just increase the price of economy and make these seats the price of old economy. Look at their premium economy bullshit scheme. Airlines are not here to provide safe, or comfortable air travel. They are here to milk every last bit of profit they can.

danowat

Banned
I never sit near the window anyway, I have to go to the bog every 30mins, so it wouldn't bother me not having a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom