• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patriarch Homer Simpson has revealed he no longer strangles his son, Bart.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-simpsons-homer-bart-strangling-b2441519.html

A running joke in the animated series has involved Homer reprimanding his mischievous eldest child by squeezing his neck tightly, to the extent that Bart’s eyes bulge and his tongue sticks out.

Despite being one of the most recognisable features of Homer and Bart’s father-son dynamic, the action has been frequently criticised for its brutality.

When Homer introduces himself with a handshake, the new character remarks how firm Homer’s grip is. “See, Marge, strangling the boy paid off,” Homer remarks, before adding: “Just kidding, I don’t do that anymore. Times have changed.”

The last time Homer was depicted strangling Bart was in season 31 (2019-2020).

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Is some still watching new Simpsons episodes? I thought they were just running to keep the merchandise train from stopping up.

Drew1440

Is some still watching new Simpsons episodes? I thought they were just running to keep the merchandise train from stopping up.
Disney owns it now so expect some changes to be made for modern audiences.

DljOr6W.jpg

Woggleman

Nothing can take away from the greatness of their first ten years but these days they are running on fumes.

If they had some balls they would do an adult Simpsons where Lisa goes to college and has an awakening when she sees just how crazy the left has become. All in all she comes across as somebody with good intentions and to see her clashing people who are pure hate could make her question her beliefs. That is something I would watch.

RagnarokIV

Some of the greatest entertainment of all time (not even restricted to being a cartoon).

Sadly it died long ago and this is what's left.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Two things that will always stand the test of time - immutable forces:

- The Simpsons will always be running, but only greenlit two years in advance.

- There will always be people exclaiming that The Simpsons died five years ago.

Literally, it's like forum comfort food. Check in 2008. Check in 2018. Check in 2023. It's all been terrible for at least five years.

Not to say I disagree with any of the accepted fan narrative.

mcjmetroid

I don't think they've done this for years anyway. I did think about this before maybe about 10 years ago.

Not even sure it was even worth a mention. It's an odd one.

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure will do any favors to this dead walking show. Gonna risk a guess that Lisa will be more of a bitch as well.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me the point of decline of the simpsons is this episode.

i hate this episode

------------

more love to lisa character ❤️

Last edited:

Fbh

I hate this trend of "we can't have bad stuff in our content even if it's being depicted as bad "
At some point Disney will probably completely remove violence, evil, killing and conflict from all the their content.

Avengers 25 will be like "We want to donate $2 billion to the current trendy social justice organization but Galactus only wants to donate $1 billion, we'll team up and use carbon neutral public transportation to go meet up with him and respectfully debate about how much money we should donate"

Last edited:

Doomtrain

I hate this tend of "we can't have bad stuff in our content even if it's being depicted as bad "
At some point Disney will probably completely remove violence, killing and conflict from all the their content.

Avengers 25 will be like "We want to donate $2 billion to the current trendy social justice organization but Galactus only wants to donate $1 billion, we'll team up and use carbon neutral public transportation to go meet up with him and respectfully debate about how much money we should donate"
“Debate” is an alt-right tactic.

/s

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I went through season 1-10 recently. 1-9 was great, and then 10 has a noticeable drop off and I quit
I was a huge fan of Simpsons back in the day. When the internet popped up, I never knew they even called the early seasons of the show the golden age.

I didnt like Season 1 as it was too archaic, but somewhere in that 2-6 or 2-7 range was awesome (I googled it and 2-7 for me). Then season 8 it dropped hard. It was so different and unfunny. I dont know if the writers changed or just a shift in content, but I bailed. I never bothered since then.

Looking at the episode guide, the show has really tanked. I'm surprised it's still on. Back in the 90s it was pulling in somewhere around 15-20M viewers per episode. It's trended down and now the show gets 1M.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

"Took them long enough"

Seriously how do any of these people survive on a daily basis without their parents wiping their arses and doing everything for them, that can't genuinely be an actual human being that wrote that tweet right?

StueyDuck

I was a huge fan of Simpsons back in the day. When the internet popped up, I never knew they even called the early seasons of the show the golden age.

I didnt like Season 1 as it was too archaic, but somewhere in that 2-6 or 2-7 range was awesome (I googled it and 2-7 for me). Then season 8 it dropped hard. It was so different and unfunny. I dont know if the writers changed or just a shift in content, but I bailed. I never bothered since then.

Looking at the episode guide, the show has really tanked. I'm surprised it's still on. Back in the 90s it was pulling in somewhere around 15-20M viewers per episode. It's trended down and now the show gets 1M.

2-8 I'd say is the golden period of almost every episode being an absolute classic. 9-12 had some gags and laughs but started to introduce more pop culture and made Homer a complete dolt.

13 onwards is just trash tier shit and it's a literal downhil season after season. A tiny spike with the movie then down down down it goes. The modern stuff is so moronically shit that I have 0 idea who actually watches it and why

Ah, a fellow Season 8 noticer.

TVexperto

nobody is watching live tv anymore, its not only simpsons that hat drop in viewership

wondermega

I hate this trend of "we can't have bad stuff in our content even if it's being depicted as bad "
At some point Disney will probably completely remove violence, evil, killing and conflict from all the their content.

So long as the final scene is an extremely graphic depiction the likes of which has never been attempted before in modern cinema, of Galactus eating the earth, I am all in.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I went through season 1-10 recently. 1-9 was great, and then 10 has a noticeable drop off and I quit

This!

The season 8 people are wrong, season 8 was a step down from 7 (which was amazing) but it wasn't bad and it is still classic Simpsons

9 had some signs of decline but still watchable and then 10 was like "WTF I'm out"

CGNoire

Its the Saturday Morning Cartoonification of all entertainment. :(

Fbh

Its the Saturday Morning Cartoonification of all entertainment. :(

It's that but in some ways it almost feels like it's going further. It's not only about making things more tame, but actually removing everything negative because people will get upset about negative things being depicted in a show/movie even if the show/movie is telling you those things are bad. It's like when CDPR basically had to come out and explain that the Cyberpunk setting is a dystopia and as such will have negative elements in it because that's the whole fucking point of a dystopian setting.

LordOfChaos

It was bad for many years but a lot of people have been saying it's gotten decent again in the last few seasons

It'll probably never make classics as much as the Conan years again though

Drew1440

This!

The season 8 people are wrong, season 8 was a step down from 7 (which was amazing) but it wasn't bad and it is still classic Simpsons

9 had some signs of decline but still watchable and then 10 was like "WTF I'm out"
Was that the season where Principal Skinner turned out to be an imposter? and stole someones identity. Defiantly the first episode I hated, aside from the one where they killed off Maude Flanders, Homer was such a dick in that episode.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Yup 2-7 is it for me too. Could never understand why people put S8 in there too. The Poochie episode was the only keeper imo.

Seasons 4 and 5 especially. Very much akin to Seinfeld S5/6 where it was just banger after banger after banger.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It was bad for many years but a lot of people have been saying it's gotten decent again in the last few seasons

It'll probably never make classics as much as the Conan years again though
You have to think, most animated shows even with moderate success and merchandising only run about 2 - 4 seasons tops. Anything above is risking a cut in quality. It was impressive at one time to know that the Simpsons was the longest running primetime animated TV show. That impression has long worn off and not just with most of the forum; just about anywhere you read. Not sure how many malls are around you (as they're sorta dying out too) but, we have entire stores that have nothing but Simpsons inventory. Consumer electronic stores, clothing stores...you name it. Even the Halloween episodes have lost their charm...that was like the last thread for the super fans of Simpsons. Conan was one part, I could list the other you'd need but most don't want to work on animation anymore anyway (they're getting old...).

Top Bottom