• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX/Fanexpo impression thread

sjay1994

I was at Fanexpo today, and I gave my impressions on the evil within in the metacritic thread. I played a bunch of other games to, and though I might as well make an impressions thread. Since PAX is also going on, this thread can be used to post your impressions of games you played.

Fanexpo is not as gaming focused as PAX, but some of the stuff I played will probably be at PAX.

So lets post some impressions

Mortal Kombat X

fbS2BRp.jpg

Hilariously well hidden in the far corners of Fanexpo behind a black cloth was MKX. I was able to play MKX the most since no one seemed to know about its presence. Visually the game looks great, and the character models are very detailed. Gameplay wise it feels faster than MK9 did, and creating combos feels more fluid. The only thing that sucks is no one knew how to do any fatalities.

Shadow of Mordor

1fXdHvi.jpg

The sleeper hit of the show. The game takes the combat of batman, the navigation of assassins creed, and the random animal moments in farcry and combines them into a very fun package. I would recommend it to people who want something to fill in the void since AK got delayed.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Sorry Canada. You don't get to see AK. But here is the Batmobile

8HvhLgA.jpg

The Order 1886

Ffq8DIh.jpg

Wow. This was a bad demo.

The gameplay is actually quite solid. Aiming and shooting feel great and the controls feel solid. The problem is its a 6 minute demo and the player is only in control for about a minute and 30 seconds. The rest is cutscenes. It was the section they showed on twitch. Its a visually gorgeus game, and it plays great, but they have been showing the game off incredibly poorly. I now understand why some impressions are negative, because this demo requires you to watch more than you actually play.

FarCry 4

FYSjBHR.jpg

I know quite a lot of people don't like FC3 on GAF. But wow, the FC4 demo was so much fun. Elephants are OP as fuck. Lots of different ways presented to do the demo. I was able to play it in 3 different ways

Stealth with cross bow and knife. Elephant rampage *best way to play* and mortar. I enjoyed all of the runs. FC4 is my most anticipated game for this year.

Also here is a mural they are painting

iqWPFWT.jpg

Assassins Creed Unity

ZGVxqyQ.jpg

So... Ubisoft brought a guillotine.
The blade was replaced with foam.
People would take pictures of themselves pretending to be executed.

The actual demo was hands off played by a dev from toronto. It was the gamescom demo. The game looks visually stunning, but rough at the same time. Lots of pop in throughout the demo. Gameplay looks refined, but the guards seem pretty dumb since it takes them a while to detect you. I asked a dev about the delay. He said it was to improve the Ai and reduce the amount of screen tearing and pop in, which was heavily present in the demo. I enjoy assassins creed, and am cautiously optimistic for unity.

Evil Within

iSbTKSB.jpg

I'm going to post my impressions I put in the evil within metacritic thread

Since I am sitting down, I will share some impressions will add more when on my computer.

I played chapter 9 on PS4.

The game is very atmospheric and bizarre. One stand out is when you go to the upgrade room. There is a hospital receptionist there who tells you make sure you use the green goo. The main character reminds me a lot of RE4 Leon. It's how he addresses things in the world. He's mocking it similar to how Leon did. I dig it.

Also the game doesn't hold your hand. I died a lot, and a lot of people left the stand because they didn't know what they were doing. I had a general idea since I watched the demo before. It was very easy to get lost while playing. Aiming is fine when you have distance, but it's almost impossible to hit something very close to you with anything but a shotgun.

I have to say the most impressive thing about the game. The enemies seem to be randomly generated. A room I was killed in was completely empty when I re spawned. A clear room before now had an enemy in it. This I think will add a lot of replay ability to it.

The one annoying thing about the game is the random spawning of the hooded figure. If he touches you your entire health bar but a sliver is gone.

Performance wise it's cleaned up compared to previous showings. My friend played the demo on x1, he said he noticed some input lag. I didn't feel it on ps4.

I enjoyed it. If you liked the tone and gameplay of re4 or even the gameplay of tlou, you will probably enjoy tew.

Evolve

RGC7XfA.jpg

My personal favorite game of the show. Evolve requires a lot of team work, more so than left 4 dead. I played once as the monster and once as the medic. As the monster the gameplay begins basically with you on the run trying to power up, while the humans try to hunt you down. You are very vulnerable at the beginning of the game. However if you are able to feast on the wild life and evolve, you can then turn the tables on the humans. My favorite thing while playing the monster is that you can sneak up on humans by holding B. I ran around my 4 friends playing humans, and snuck up behind them. Once one turn around I lit him on fire and started punching the shit out of him. Being able to create chaos and disorient the other team in evolve is incredibly satisfying.For the humans, you need to work as a team. I was the medic who can turn invisible and revive teamates. I would cloak and run around reviving the assault who was our heavy damage dealer, while the trapper and support distracted the monster. We were able to make short work of the monster. Evolve is incredibly satisfying as it plays on the aspects and rewards of playing as a team and succeding, and the inverse of completely decimating a team. Its incredibly fun and I can't wait to play more

Sunset Overdrive

73BVjUC.jpg

Reminds me a lot of infamous. The game is very fun. I enjoyed bouncing around, freezing things below me, then shattering them. Although since I played first light, movement in sunset doesn't feel as fast as insomniac have been advertising. But still a very fun game. I also got this for playing the demo.

pzZMZ8F.jpg

I ended up giving it to a 5 year old on the train home, since he really wanted to play with it.

So those are my impressions. Games that were also avaiable were Dying Light, Destiny, Forza Horizon, Master Chief Collection, Advanced Warfare, Littlebigplanet 3 and NHL 15.

I didn't play these due to not having enough time, or the game was not my cup of tea.

Please use this thread to post your own impressions from the events. If you want to ask anymore details about any of the games I listed, feel free.

I will be at the show tomorrow, and will update the OT with games I missed.

antitrop

So glad to hear about Mordor.

Monolith hasn't made anything I've cared about since F.E.A.R. 2. I hope Mordor is great, I'd love to see them be "back".

I continue to be amazed at how few people seem to be aware of/excited for Mordor. It's got procedurally generated enemies, Batman combat, AC/Dishonored movement, and the Red Dead writer. It's going to be good, people!

sjay1994

So glad to hear about Mordor.

Monolith hasn't made anything I've cared about since F.E.A.R. 2. I hope Mordor is great, I'd love to see them be "back".

I continue to be amazed at how few people seem to be aware of/excited for Mordor. It's got procedurally generated enemies, Batman combat, AC/Dishonored movement, and the Red Dead writer. It's going to be good, people!

I'm not a fan of LOTR, but Shadow of Mordor is really fun. And really gory.

It's right down Raptors ally.

RE_Player

Every single impressions piece or post of Sunset Overdrive I've read mentions that it is slower than they are advertising. I'm hoping that this is because it speeds up later but if the speed is what it is from all the preview coverage and footage I worry about that game.

Tik-Tok

Going to Fan Expo tomorrow. I'm surprised to see MKX there. Can't wait to try it. I'm interested in Evolve too. I'll post some impressions when I get a chance.

Vestax

Banned
Every single impressions piece or post of Sunset Overdrive I've read mentions that it is slower than they are advertising. I'm hoping that this is because it speeds up later but if the speed is what it is from all the preview coverage and footage I worry about that game.

I've read that there's some frame drops issues as well (Gamescon). I guess a couple months should be some time to touch it up?

possibly the WB games attachment to the game and the shit they are doing with the season pass too.

sjay1994

Re reading your comment I saw "red dead writer"

Holy shit.

Red dead was the one and only time I though a rockstar game had a great story.

Game4life

Banned
Went to the expo. Played Driveclub, Order, SO, FH2 and also saw a demo of AC unity.

Driveclub - Loved my time with it. Has a bit of a learning curve and is not as arcadish as I initially thought. I thought the handling was really good and loved the environments.

Order - I had almost given up on the Order going by the impressions but the actual shooting was actually really really good.Gun feedback and movement felt really good. Unfortunately nothing in the demo screamed innovative level design and combat so there's that. Also it is easily the most beautiful looking game I have ever seen. I am actually looking forward to this game much more now that I know that it has competent mechanics.

FH2 - Was really fun as well. Something about tearing through the fields in broad daylight only to have the sun set and rain come in a few minutes later while driving in an open world felt really awesome. The visuals are not bad at all. However I preferred the handling in DC over FH2.

Sunset Overdrive - Biggest disappointment of the show for me. I was so pumped for this game. The game mechanics are sluggish, slow and really not intuitive. I was expecting it to be a lot more free flowing . The pace of the game was completely off. I am way less interested in this game now then I was before.

AC unity - Same stupid game with slightly improved combat but braindead AI. Damn the AI in this game is terrible.

Wish Bloodborne was here.

ron_bato

Order - I had almost given up on the Order going by the impressions but the actual shooting was actually really really good.Gun feedback and movement felt really good. Unfortunately nothing in the demo screamed innovative level design and combat so there's that. Also it is easily the most beautiful looking game I have ever seen. I am actually looking forward to this game much more now that I know that it has competent mechanics.

Great to read about the Order. I have faith in RAD, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more sections aside from the E3 demo section we've seen for months now. I read another IGN preview for the Order, and we got another guy who didn't understand what the Thermite rifle was complaining about the gun mechanics and hit detection. He referred to the thermite rifle as a 'machine gun'. FFS, you'd think they'd actually read the tutorial before playing the demo.

Here was the section from his preview:

My main weapon in the demo was a machine gun that also fired off explosive-flares. I loved the small detail of how the flare would corkscrew through the air on its way to my target, but igniting the explosive never gave me the desired effect. Blasts right on top of enemies didn’t seem to faze them, and certain explosions would cause structural damage while others seemed to just be bursts of light. So I instead decided to focus on picking them off with my rifle. The problem here was that the bullets spread out in such a wide area so quickly, that I could burst-fire an entire clip at an enemy across a street and have every single bullet miss its target.

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/31/pax-2014-the-order-1866-seems-great-except-for-one-thing

Top Bottom