• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paypal tells SCUMMVM: "Stop using Paypal for your donations."

from scummvm.org:

Aug. 30th, 2006: Donations no longer accepted
Posted by Ender

As regular ScummVM web-viewers may have noticed already, we have removed the Paypal button from our site and no donations are currently being accepted.

Paypal has informed as that all software capable of playing a game on a system 'it was not sold for' is in violation of their AUP. Please feel free to e-mail aup@paypal.com and express your disappointment at their policies... Which make absolutely no sense for a project like ScummVM, which is often actively assisted by the original game developers and studios, even to the point of being shipped by Sold Out in their Broken Sword 1/2 compilation.

We are investigating alternatives for a donation system, if any of our users would like to put forward a suggestion of a safe, open-source friendly system please let us know in the "Paypal Sucks" forum thread.

The dialogue between scummvm.org and Paypal can be followed here:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=12891

And a veeerrrrry interesting little tidbit from that exchange:

Even if we do not sell it, the ScummVM software does allows game
software to be played on a system other than the one for which it was
designed.

This is usually done with the permission, and on many occasions the
direct assistance, of the copyright holders involved. We have
relationships with Revolution Software Ltd, WyrmKeep Entertainment Co,
Adventure Soft, and are discussing the final details of a licencing
agreement with LucasArts.

Lemming_JRS said:
We have
relationships with Revolution Software Ltd, WyrmKeep Entertainment Co,
Adventure Soft, and are discussing the final details of a licencing
agreement with LucasArts.
[/I]
Nice. ScummVM beats the shit out of the solution that Lucas devised on that Sam and Max preorder disc.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
it sounds like scummvm is about to become official with lucas arts. Could be very very cool.

Now, port it to Xbox 360 Lucas and I'll buy all your excellent games again.

D3VI0US said:
wtf is scummvm?

google.gif

black_13

Banned
Hitokage said:
Paypal: We take your money like a bank, but aren't accountable for it like a bank!
I'm so damn sick of Paypa!

I really hope someone will soon make a great alternative that would make it easy for everyone to switch to.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
black_13 said:
I'm so damn sick of Paypa!

I really hope someone will soon make a great alternative that would make it easy for everyone to switch to.

google to the rescue

White Man

Paypal is awful. My account there inexplicably got hacked two weeks ago. I hadn't used it in about a half year. I informed paypal, provided them with evidence, and they claimed they couldn't do shit. I closed my account ASAP just in case it got hacked again.

Nobody should be using that shit. It's not secure.

Hitokage said:
Paypal: We take your money like a bank, but aren't accountable for it like a bank!

"No. Stop it. We don't want your money. Stop it. Go away."

It's amazing how arbitrary rules on what can and can't be handled by Paypal are getting anymore. It just got to be terrible once eBay bought it.

As for donations, what about the Amazon Honors system? I see that one a lot.

Pachinko

Actually the worst thing about paypal is that if you lose your password and forgot your hint from lack of use that you literally CAN'T log in in anyway. You can obtain assistance only by faxing 2 pieces of ID directly to paypal and phoning them.. btw, they don't have a toll free number so depending on where you live it could cost a few bucks.

Ah well, it's saved me many a dollar since paypal is used for almost everything outside of direct credit card payments...

Sagitario

SaggyMonkey said:

Fixed... :D

ScummVM is a multi-platform stack-based virtual machine which was originally made to allow one to play LucasArts adventure games that use the SCUMM system on platforms other than those for which they were originally released. It also supports a variety of non-SCUMM games by companies like Revolution Software and Adventure Soft.

ScummVM is free software, released under the terms of the GNU GPL. It was originally written by Ludvig Strigeus.

Pikelet

Even if we do not sell it, the ScummVM software does allows game
software to be played on a system other than the one for which it was
designed.
I know it wasnt ported by those guys but i play scummvm on my xbox all the time.

VALIS

Hitokage said:

Indeed. I'd like to see no internet big wig crash and burn more than ****ing Paypal.

Ian

White Man said:
Paypal is awful. My account there inexplicably got hacked two weeks ago. I hadn't used it in about a half year. I informed paypal, provided them with evidence, and they claimed they couldn't do shit. I closed my account ASAP just in case it got hacked again.

Nobody should be using that shit. It's not secure.
That's one horror story too many for me, I've just closed my account. A friend of mine had his account used by someone else to buy £500 worth of crap from ebay.

Bye bye paypal.

And what's up with Paypal's insurance policy?

My dad bought something worth a couple hundred dollars on ebay and it seems that a good seller had his account hacked and scammed us. So we're missing like $300+ thinking paypal would cover us, but all they could do was refund us like $100 because that's all the money the guy had left in his account. :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really understand Paypal when they say they aren't accountable for when things go wrong.

...what do you mean you aren't accountable? Gah, I hate paypal.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
My girlfriend's PayPal account was hacked into and used as a springboard to also get into her email and eBay accounts. Fortunately she was able to get all her money back.

What sucks is that many people only conduct online business using PayPal, so refusing to use it can also mean that you lose out sometimes.

More on-topic: Official LucasArts DS ports using SCUMMVM plz

Barnolde said:

They're worse than scum, they're Wal-Mart level Evil.

Do absolutely anything underhanded to "freeze" your account, you can't get your money and then it goes straight into their profits.

demi

Been using PayPal for a while with no problems, so I'm not going to jump on this little bandwagon just yet.

Barnolde

Banned
demi said:
Been using PayPal for a while with no problems, so I'm not going to jump on this little bandwagon just yet.

Your time to hate will come. It happens to everyone. Just wait until you get ripped off, PayPal's ignorance and apathy will have you pissed off to no end.

Curse their monopoly.

Dragona Akehi said:
They're worse than scum, they're Wal-Mart level Evil.

Do absolutely anything underhanded to "freeze" your account, you can't get your money and then it goes straight into their profits.
Why bring Wal-Mart into this? They are the furthest thing from evil.

loosus

Banned
While I'm not a PayPal fan, the problem is just as much competitors' faults becuase they are not giving PayPal competition.

Part of what makes PayPal so easy is that a.) everyone has a PayPal account and b.) even if they don't have a PayPal account, PayPal doesn't require accounts with them to accept credit-card payments.

Also, they have some decent developer tools. Others really need to step it up. It'd be nice if someone made a full back-end system (without a monthly payment -- only a percentage of what you sell) so that it would appear to all be happening on your own Web server. I'd use something like that in a heartbeat. PayPal offers integration like that, but it costs an additional $20 per month -- not worth it.

Edit: Dragona, good job on the further derailment.

Link1110

loosus said:
While I'm not a PayPal fan, the problem is just as much competitors' faults becuase they are not giving PayPal competition.

Part of what makes PayPal so easy is that a.) everyone has a PayPal account and b.) even if they don't have a PayPal account, PayPal doesn't require accounts with them to accept credit-card payments.

Also, they have some decent developer tools. Others really need to step it up. It'd be nice if someone made a full back-end system (without a monthly payment -- only a percentage of what you sell) so that it would appear to all be happening on your own Web server. I'd use something like that in a heartbeat. PayPal offers integration like that, but it costs an additional $20 per month -- not worth it.

Paypal works because all the slternatives suck. Western Union's one costs the BUYER money (As opposed to the seller, so the buyer thinks the seller's trying to pull one over on them) and money orders require going to the post office to send, and parking at any post office within driving distance of my house ranges from near impossible to literally impossible.

If someone made a worthwhile alternative, people might consider it, but until then....

loosus said:
Edit: Dragona, good job on the further derailment.

Ooh, annoying member moderator being a pain to a REAL moderator. THIS is going to end well. :D

element

paypal works so well with ebay because they are the same company.

I have never liked paypal, but it is a necessary evil.

Top Bottom