• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer ranks bests and worsts of Mass Effect

diaspora

I will say this: thank sweet fuck there's a fast-forward button on ME1, makes the shitty traversal 10x faster- literally and it consequently makes ME1 actually playable.

Eh, the Trilogy is regularly $10-20 on Amazon Download or Origin, I'd just wait for a black friday sale.
Unless that means I can download the 360 trilogy version, then it's a no go for me.

I'm running on a comp that struggles to maintain 25fps in Knights of the Old Republic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did Bioware ever explain Jack's outfit officially? Miranda's existence makes me think it's pure pandering, but surely they had some sort of explanation for it?

Not really. But between ME1 and ME2 there was a bit of a shift in tone and aesthetic. Beyond the change in setting. While it's still very fantastical, ME1 overall drew more from hard sci-fi in its technology and designs, building outfits, weapons, and vehicles that are believable. ME2 went for a more pulpy space opera look, so you wind up with skin tight big ass big tits genetic perfection, topless tatooed tough chick, alien assassin with trendy popped collar trenchcoat, and Garrus' never repaired armour. All characters wearing their outfits even in the middle of space.

MC Safety

I'd have to pick the first Mass Effect over the others. Even with the having to drive the shitmobile to collect space garbage on an endless procession of dead worlds.

Mass Effect 2 had the horrible Cerberus storyline. And I never felt less like a starship captain than I did mining minerals in that crappy minigame.

The third game was just a blur of nonsense.

Not really. But between ME1 and ME2 there was a bit of a shift in tone and aesthetic. Beyond the change in setting. While it's still very fantastical, ME1 overall drew more from hard sci-fi in its technology and designs, building outfits, weapons, and vehicles that are believable. ME2 went for a more pulpy space opera look, so you wind up with skin tight big ass big tits genetic perfection, topless tatooed tough chick, alien assassin with trendy popped collar trenchcoat, and Garrus' never repaired armour. All characters wearing their outfits even in the middle of space.

That wasn't an intentional shift towards pulpiness, it was an intentional shift towards having what the artists were referring to as "iconic looks". That is, that the characters didn't just all chop and change a series of generic armors like they did in the first game, to help visually distinguish them. I suspect their intention to have a very large crew (10+ squadmates) led them to this decision. That's why Shepard's N7 ensemble didn't vary "too much" in geometry as you customized it, and why the squadmates had more or less one look, with a bit of variation from the alt costumes.

My opinion on the matter was that the crew member's iconic look should have been what they wore on the ship / citadel etc, but then they would also have a hazardous environment suit for EVA / no atmosphere missions. Because watching Jack roll around a depressurized spaceship with just a mask on was quite silly looking, and watching Miranda run around rocky Tuchanka with high heels was equally absurd. That shit was not practical combat equipment. Artists ruin everything.

That wasn't an intentional shift towards pulpiness, it was an intentional shift towards having what the artists were referring to as "iconic looks". That is, that the characters didn't just all chop and change a series of generic armors like they did in the first game, to help visually distinguish them. I suspect their intention to have a very large crew (10+ squadmates) led them to this decision. That's why Shepard's N7 ensemble didn't vary "too much" in geometry as you customized it, and why the squadmates had more or less one look, with a bit of variation from the alt costumes.

My opinion on the matter was that the crew member's iconic look should have been what they wore on the ship / citadel etc, but then they would also have a hazardous environment suit for EVA / no atmosphere missions. Because watching Jack roll around a depressurized spaceship with just a mask on was quite silly looking, and watching Miranda run around rocky Tuchanka with high heels was equally absurd. That shit was not practical combat equipment. Artists ruin everything.

It can be a bit of both. Apart from the characters look, I remember ME2 locations looking more pulpy than the clean, hard looks of ME1.

Sanctuary

It can be a bit of both. Apart from the characters look, I remember ME2 locations looking more pulpy than the clean, hard looks of ME1.

It's just the shift of trying hard to be Star Trek, and having everything super sterile and then changing it up to Star Wars.

It's just the shift of trying hard to be Star Trek, and having everything super sterile and then changing it up to Star Wars.
that reminds me. a good while ago in the community thread there was a couple of peeps who suggested me a whole bunch space sci fi to check out, and I still haven't :\

Melchiah

Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek/TNG, Farscape.

Each of these inform small pieces of Mass Effect.

B5 is highly recommended. I've watched all the five seasons through five times. The 1st season is a bit boring, but it gets better towards the end, and it's essential to watch it for the main story.
EDIT: And the first half of the 5th season isn't as good as the rest, because the series was under a threat of being terminated, and they had to cram stuff into the 4th season.

I think B5 had a great influence on ME series:

• Captain Sheridan - Commander Shepard
  • B5 station - Citadel
  • The first contact war
  • Minbari - Asari
  • Narn - Krogans
  • Gaim - Quarians
  • Drazi - Batarians

Don't look, if you haven't watched B5 yet:
    Shadows - Reapers
    Drakh - Collectors

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That makes sense they did this with Inquisition, with most of the armour party members can wear being similar to the overall look, style and colour palette they were introduced with a few exceptions.

I liked this as it them all look pretty distinctive but it most have take a lot of work. My only issue was often the players versions of those armours looked worse to me and I'd rather have what the NPC was wearing.

diaspora

Inquisition actually addresses this quite well I think. All the characters have their own distinctive look as you've mentioned while at the same time maintaining variations in armor design. Better than ME and previous DA games in that respect.

Incidentally, thank merciful christ there's a fast forward button in ME1. Being able to speed up traversal and those fucking elevators by 10x makes the game actually playable.

Top Bottom