• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers use ridiculous amount of energy

Ballthyrm

Well i may have a 1000Watt computer but while i am not gaming i am helping the world with world community grid , SETI@home, LHC@home.

My plasma tv and 360/PS3 combo used to heat up my living room by a few degrees in winter days. I fear the airflow in my pc prevents it to have the same effect... I maybe should look into a second 980ti, the upcoming winter is supposed to be a really cold one...

Nokterian

MY PC is on at a daily basis would be for just internet or gaming i use this machine the most my PS4 is also on only when i feel for playing it.

Forgot to add this i always..always when i am leaving the house shutting down my PC or when going to bed because you don't use it when you are gone. I know people who leave them on all day everyday that isn't good.

If global warming is real explain how we can render 4K snow.

Not entire world (especially gamers) needs to render 4k snow to understand the global warming.

But what kind of world are we leaving for our children if they're forced to play games at shitty resolutions and framerates, without anisotropic filtering?

Sacrificing resolution, framerates, AF etc., is better than destroying the world natural resources, so we have to balance otherwise we will completely drain them and there will be nothing left to play your games at all.

robin2

power consumption is a key factor for me, i don't consider any videocard that requires significantly higher than 150W.

Dr Dogg

I think the maths here a grossly exaggerated and I'd like to now exactly what they're based on, sample size, what consists of the typical gaming PC, the type of people they're polling data from and what have you. Surely the typical gaming PC at this point in time is one of the millions upon millions of PCs that are used to play stuff like LoL, World of Tanks, DotA 2 and WoW? Not a bespoke water cooler SLI setup. Even still when I ran SLI 480's then it only pulled in and around 500w from the wall at full load benching. None of my current PCs don't come close to drawing 150w whilst web browsing let alone 250 and I don't get anywhere near 4.4 hours a day gaming time on almost any day let alone as an average.

Edit: Also if the 'typical' gaming PC consumes 1400kw per year and the average daily use is 4.4 hours per day that PC would have to pull 871.73wh on average. That would have to be 3 cards or a couple of those crazy Asus ARES IIs on a hefty CPU to get close to that. Not what I'd call average.

Edit edit: Just read the study and see that 1400kw per year has a breakdown of which 4.4 hours gaming is part of a 24 hour cycle but ~500w at full load is not your typical gaming PC. Even much older inefficient PC from 7-10 years ago used for gaming would not be pulling that contentiously.

Momentary

Banned
I think the maths here a grossly exaggerated and I'd like to now exactly what they're based on, sample size, what consists of the typical gaming PC, the type of people they're polling data from and what have you. Surely the typical gaming PC at this point in time is one of the millions upon millions of PCs that are used to play stuff like LoL, World of Tanks, DotA 2 and WoW? Not a bespoke water cooler SLI setup. Even still when I ran SLI 480's then it only pulled in and around 500w from the wall at full load benching. None of my current PCs don't come close to drawing 150w whilst web browsing let alone 250 and I don't get anywhere near 4.4 hours a day gaming time on almost any day let alone as an average.

Edit: Also if the 'typical' gaming PC consumes 1400kw per year and the average daily use is 4.4 hours per day that PC would have to pull 871.73wh on average. That would have to be 3 cards or a couple of those crazy Asus ARES IIs on a hefty CPU to get close to that. Not what I'd call average.

I agree with this. I don't know where they are getting their numbers from, but it's like they are considering the 5 percent of PC Gamers that run upper enthusiast grade rigs to be the entirety of the population. Even then the numbers they use come closer to what the 1 percenters of the PC community use in power.

PaulloDEC

I have a gaming PC, but I take solace in the fact that I'm part of the (apparently) tiny minority of gamers who don't leave it running 24/7.

Etnos

Banned
The study found that high-end gaming systems are the fastest growing type of gaming platform around, even outpacing sales of next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. So much for PC gaming dying, eh?

Finally! common sense in video games

We are already doing a frivolous expense, might as well do it for realizes

I know PCs use a lot more power, but electricity is cheap here so it isn't really a concern to me.

Yeah, that's not the main issue concerning energy consumption.

Some scientists* suggest we will have to reduce energy output by 50% by 2030 because we won't be able to produce enough, and a lot of countries will have to consider rationing energy use by 2020.

* Pessimistic view.

Dr Dogg

The system configured as the baseline testing is using a 4820k CPU ie an enthusiast level platform with a 780 as the GPU. How on earth is that average?

I agree with this. I don't know where they are getting their numbers from, but it's like they are considering the 5 percent of PC Gamers that run upper enthusiast grade rigs to be the entirety of the population. Even then the numbers they use come closer to what the 1 percenters of the PC community use in power.

I'm just reading through the study now and there's some info in there. The base system used is a X79 platform PC and the chart where where they show power savings but reducing components puts them on a G3258 ie a Pentium Anniversary CPU, which is like one end of the spectrum to the other. I think the last time I had a single card PC that topped 500w was when I used a hefty 24" CRT monitor.

yatesl

I've decided to buy an energy monitor purely because of this topic. One PC has a 750w psu, GTX 970, 16GB RAM and a permanently OC 4670k @ 4.2Ghz 1.25v. This is turned off for 8 hours when I'm at work, and however long I'm asleep.

The second PC uses a 600w PSU, GTX 770, 12GB RAM and a much lower G2something - the anniversary CPU. This is on 24 hours as it holds the media for the house on its 5TB external drive, and is often used by a family member for World of Warcraft

This should be interesting. Or horrifying.

KHlover

Banned
I use Intel+NVIDIA and a 500W PSU. When I'm not playing games I'm pretty sure my PC actually consumes way less energy than a console, around 80W. Which is the majority of its use, really. Also turn it off when I go to bed.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just tested with a Watt meter and while browsing the internet I use...90 Watt. Now I'll try booting up MGS V and see how that goes.

None of the article mentions whether this conclusion--or rather, the magnitude of it--is a function of the fact that PCs are left on most/all the time even when not gaming, while consoles are generally turned off

Yep, it has to be the reason "hardcore games consume twice as much!". Because hardcore gamers play twice as much.

pislit

While gaming PCs represent only 2.5 % of the global installed PC equipment base, our initial scoping estimate suggests that gaming PCs consumed 75 TWh/year ($10 billion) of electricity globally in 2012 or approximately 20 % of total PC, notebook, and console energy usage.
Source

What hardware specs qualify for the 2.5% gaming PCs?

My plasma tv and 360/PS3 combo used to heat up my living room by a few degrees in winter days. I fear the airflow in my pc prevents it to have the same effect... I maybe should look into a second 980ti, the upcoming winter is supposed to be a really cold one...

Yep`, I really miss the heating feature in my old K7 XP 2200. Everybody would tell me that it was a crime against environment by keeping that and not upgrading to a Dual Core or something newer and more energy efficient, but those winters without a heater were pretty nice. I can't get any heat from my aging i5 anymore.

Worth it.

45WW0wy.gif

purdobol

As technology progresses the energy consumption also increases. No surprise here.
As for global warming and destroying the world... to much focus is placed on individuals and how much energy they consume. I mean its a good thing to educate people that wasting energy is bad etc. But its governments job to provide that "clean" energy to citizens. Instead we get stupid laws like banning incandescent light bulbs to reduce energy consumption. Maybe in a few years PC and consoles will be regulated in the same way. Could be funny.

As technology progresses the energy consumption also increases. No surprise here.
As for global warming and destroying the world... to much focus is placed on individuals and how much energy they consume. I mean its a good thing to educate people that wasting energy is bad etc. But its governments job to provide that "clean" energy to citizens. Instead we get stupid laws like banning incandescent light bulbs to reduce energy consumption. Maybe in a few years PC and consoles will be regulated in the same way. Could be funny.
I doubt it. Probably in a few years the same stupid topic of "unrealism" will still be a hot topic to debunk in most games.

Since I got an SSD I turn off my PC at night and even when I go out briefly. I used to leave it on loads. Must count for something.

Makes sense I guess. PC parts are more powerful, but not necessarily more power efficient, than console parts that have to occupy a cramped space with limited cooling.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gEYzQjs.png

200 watts while browsing the web? On average?

My 6-core 5930k with a 120hz monitor a 970 (and a DSP audio card) is using around 110w browsing GAF.
Yeah the numbers have come significantly down in the past 3 years (short idle on GPUs especially like 50W -> 12W).
'Average' gaming computer has Enthusiast Mobo and CPU, yeah sure. 80% should be more like 85% as well given sweet spot.

orava

Makes sense I guess. PC parts are more powerful, but not necessarily more power efficient, than console parts that have to occupy a cramped space with limited cooling.

Well consoles are made using low power (and performance) mobile tech.

moerser

i think its more concerning that there are still people who turn on there 3000 watts vacuum and then turn around having a 15 minute phone call. thats wasting energy...

le-seb

On average, the study estimates that the typical gaming computer consumes roughly 1,400kWh of energy per year.
Considering my average yearly electricity consumption in the last 5 years has been around 5,400 kWh including heating (no A/C), hot water production, and a bunch of network devices running 24/7, that's assuredly a fucking lot.

Sacrificing resolution, framerates, AF etc., is better than destroying the world natural resources, so we have to balance otherwise we will completely drain them and there will be nothing left to play your games at all.

Hey here's a wild fucking idea, let's work towards a future where we use power which isn't being generated from a finite resource.

Top Bottom