• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil ways

Ok so here's the story. For the past week or so I've been building a new PC, so last night I went to a friend's house so he could help me install the new motherboard, video card etc. and to check that everything was alright. We finished plugged in the PC, turned it on and everything was fine. We even installed Windows and tested the disc dives, no problem whatsoever.

So I get home with the PC, plug the monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers, then the PC and monitor power cords into my APC UPS protector, and turn the UPS on. Then as soon as I click the power button on the PC the UPS starts beeping like crazy but the PC doesn't turn on. Everything else, monitor, speakers etc. work fine and get powered on but the PC doesn't.

I open the PC to check it and the motherboard/P4 processor's green light turns on whenever I plug the PC in, but the actual PC and it's fans don't do a damn thing. When I first clicked the power button on there wasn't a beep nor did the LED in front lit up, nothing, so it wasn't like it turned on fine for a second and then died, no.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gorey

You might want to pop the case and doublecheck all screws, wiring, and connectors.

Edit: Duh, I need to read more thoroughly. It sounds to me like there's something going on with the connectors to your hard drive...?

evil ways

I plugged it directly into the wall socket, nothing, besides everything that's plugged into the UPS still works just fine. I was thinking it must've been a short circuit or something to do with the power supply but like I mentioned there's a green light that turns on in the motherboard/processor when I plug the PC to a power source, so that would mean the power supply is functioning right?

What bothers me is that the PC was running fine when I turned it on at my friend's house and we even got nearly everything installed, updated and downloaded at his place, then I get home, plug everything and the PC is dead.

I'm wondering, if it had been a short circuit or a power overload the PC would've at least turned on before dying right?

gohepcat

Banned
Could be the power switch in the case.

If you find the On/Off pins on the motherboard and shot them with a paper clip the mother board might turn on. I know this sounds dangerous, but in reality, all you are doing when you press the power button is shorting these 2 pins.

DJ Sl4m

gohepcat said:
Could be the power switch in the case.

If you find the On/Off pins on the motherboard and shot them with a paper clip the mother board might turn on. I know this sounds dangerous, but in reality, all you are doing when you press the power button is shorting these 2 pins.

Can't be, he used the PC at his friends house with the same configuration and everything went well.

I'm serious, it's the PSU.

evil ways

Finally got the PC working. I took it to my uncle who's more in the PC know than I and turns out it was a loose wire which probably occured when I carried the PC into my car and then into my house after I left my friend's house.

Thanks to everybody for their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom