• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Dave_6

I usually do a couple of those every week as they're usually great fun. I didn't realize though that they don't count against my rating so that's good to know.

TJP

FREE Week-End with the BMW Z4 GT3 and Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps!

The now retired BMW Z4 GT3 will very soon welcome its younger but bigger sister in RaceRoom, the BMW M6 GT3.

This week-end, we are celebrating this awesome race machine and its so characteristic sounds on the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps on which the Z4 achieved several of its best performances.

Check out those videos to get a glimpse of what awaits you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcuqsNcY7b4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUw2o_vVqFg

Taken from the Race room FB page

DD

Can you understand a game that runs on your PC, but at the same time it doesn't?

That's my experience with Reiza games. I had the same problem with GSCE and Automobilista. The game opens normally, everything looks fine on the main menu, but as soon as I click at any of those options, the game shuts down. I messed with some things, but nothing seems to work. Out of the blue GSCE started working fine. Couldn't do the same with Automobilista. The only way it works is when I restart the computer and it is the first thing I run, and holy moly, it's so friggin good! But then I close the game to do some other stuff, and then I try to go back to it only to deal with the one click crash again. Sigh...

I guess I'll go back to F1 2016 and RaceRoom...

Can you understand a game that runs on your PC, but at the same time it doesn't?

That's my experience with Reiza games. I had the same problem with GSCE and Automobilista. The game opens normally, everything looks fine on the main menu, but as soon as I click at any of those options, the game shuts down. I messed with some things, but nothing seems to work. Out of the blue GSCE started working fine. Couldn't do the same with Automobilista. The only way it works is when I restart the computer and it is the first thing I run, and holy moly, it's so friggin good! But then I close the game to do some other stuff, and then I try to go backt to it only to deal with the one click crash again. Sigh...

I guess I'll go back to F1 2016 and RaceRoom...

So your problem seems to be with the launcher/GUI?
I'd try borderless windowed and a different resolution, just to see if it still crashes.

Also there is this:
I’m getting a Crash to Desktop how can I get help?

First please verify the Game Cache Integrity from the Game Properties in Steam. Then make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

If these do not solve the issues then please gather the following information before contacting support.
  • PC Specification & attached peripherals, game controllers etc.
  • Describe exactly what you do and when the game crashes
  • Describe exactly what you have tried to fix the issue
  • un the game with "-trace=2" in Launch options (right click on the game in the Library - Properties - Set Launch Options") and then post a link to the log file created in "My Documents \Automobilista\UserData\LOG\trace.txt" -IMPORTANT Remove this option afterwards - it stops the config app from working!
  • Also include the appropriate dynhud.log relating to the time you ran the game from: “My Documents\Automobilista\Plugins\DynHUD\Logs\”
Logs maybe in game folder rather than My Documents if you run the game as Administrator with out UAC.

DD

So your problem seems to be with the launcher/GUI?
I'd try borderless windowed and a different resolution, just to see if it still crashes.

Also there is this:

Yeah, I had that in mind, but I forgot and deleted the game, lol. My God, those Boxers are SO EFFIN' GOOD!

Is the steering messed up in that Formula Hybrid mod for anybody else?

I'm having to turn the wheel 40° more to take corners compared to the SF15-T and other F1 mods in (G27) 900° wheel mode, lowering this even 5° makes the car undriveable as it turns into a total twitchfest.

Fixed it by loading up the Logitech profiler during gameplay.

DD

Hmm, as I said above, I was coming back to F1 2016. I've spent more than 60 hours in the career mode, but I stoped playing in the middle of the first season. I was with Renault, but as I got back to the game after some (many) months I found myself with Toro Rosso (???) ahead of the Hungarian GP, and the game saying that I have joined a new team. I remember signing a contract back when I was playing it last year, but I though I should finish the first season before joining another team. At least it was like that til F1 2013 (the last one I had). (ಠ_ಠ)

Makikou

Well then. My PSU decided to wreck my Z77 mobo on Monday. CPU is alive but it killed the RAM slots and my SSD. GFX card also survived.

So I guess it was time to upgrade then. Here's what I got:
ASUS Z270H STRIX motherboard
Intel Core i5 7600K
16gb of G.Skill 3200mhz RAM
ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6GB (from my old build)
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W PSU

Also upgraded my case to a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M. It was so god damn enjoyable to build to this case tbh. I actually got the cravings to do more..

Not expecting a huge FPS increase but should see some significant difference if I decide to record gameplay/stream. A somewhat of an upgrade from my old 2500K
img_20170315_083519_8mzscy.jpg

Dave_6

^Nice build! Been looking at the same case myself. I was just going to upgrade from my 970 to a 1080ti but I'm now thinking about just building a whole new PC and try to sell what I can out of the current one.

I was thinking about just adding a second cheap 970 after Makikou's post if newer games like pCARS2, FM7 and GTR3 require more power to not suck on 1080p. Before I always thought SLI sucks for racing sims.

Or is it only good for triple screen setups?

Radical Content
We can’t wait to announce some very, very cool content news soon, for both cars and tracks. As you know, our ambition is to streamline content, aligning cars and tracks. In the meantime, the Radical SR3 is coming along nicely. We have extensive technical data from Radical and are creating the most realistic version that has ever been produced.

I also hope they re-do the content launcher UI or integrate it in the game's normal gui, I have some crappy mods that I failed to get rid of, last time I tried.

Branson

Just popping in to say: Holy shit at iRacing on Oculus Rift. I've never had an experience like that. I'm actually kind of scared to do an official race until I've adapted to it lol.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just popping in to say: Holy shit at iRacing on Oculus Rift. I've never had an experience like that. I'm actually kind of scared to do an official race until I've adapted to it lol.

Yeah, driving through the Green Hell in the Indy Car in the rift and with a DD wheel is quite the experience. Though I must say the FOV limitation still kinda breaks the immersion a little bit.

It definitely takes some getting used to! They've made some pretty good progress with their implementation however. It's much better than it was at launch.

Dave_6

Update is out on PC:

New Porsche 911 RSR 2017 for Porsche Pack 3
New Mazda MX-5 Miata NA
New Mazda 787B: mod skins made for the original 787B mod will need to be updated using the new template
Added OpenVR/Vive support (beta)
Fixed Mazda MX-5 ND setup ride height false indication
Fixed Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV gearbox damage
Adjusted Lotus 72D and Ferrari 312T tyre compound wear and heat ranges
Fixed Flag rendering for VR
Fixed colour balance for emissive items (lights+digital) when Post Processing is turned off
Added downshift protection alert (can be disabled through the launcher options
All GT2/GTE cars default to Medium tyres now (also for AI)
Fixed broken rendering when OCULUS mode is selected but no Oculus is actually connected
Added Pitstop arrows to DirectInput Dpad: bind to the wheel dPad: can be overidden by controls.ini [ADVANCED]DPAD_INDEX_OVERRIDE=0
Added Pitstop quickmenu + Setup pitstop strategy: this can be custumized and disabled by system/cfg/pitstop.ini [SETTINGS]USE_MOUSE_PITSTOP=0
Updated Fanatec library to support new wheel bases.
Fixed possible CPU warning when player gets retired.
Multiplayer Features
Added reversed grid races: The race session will be restarted in reversed grid order based on the standings of the previous race. Players disqualified in the first race will start from the back of the grid in the second race, regardless of their position being within the reversed grid range.
Added locked entry list in pickup mode: same as in booking mode, only players already included in the entry list can join the server (password not needed).
Added car Steam ID sharing in entry list: each car in the entry list can feature multiple GUIDs. Players can share that car (one at once). The name inserted in the entry list is used as driver name.
Fixed server result log not displaying invalid laps.
Fixed end-of-race session status for lapped players in lap races.
Added Mandatory Pit: A pit window can be added to the race session. As a design choice, players need to stop at their pit box within the pit window to have a valid pit stop. Players with pit boxes further down the pitlane need to take this into account before deciding on their strategy. Players may make additional pit stops before and after the pit window, but only making a mandatory stop in the indicated pit window will validate their race. Server admins must decide on a pit window that allows all players, regardless of their pit box position, to comfortably make a pit stop under normal racing conditions.
Updated Shared Memory

Is there a permanent fix for the G27 Windows 10 driver issue, where it gets detected as a Driving Force?

I've done the thing where you uninstall the driver and manually set it to a working driver, but this gets reset every time I unplug/plug in the wheel. Considering the workaround requires a reboot before thing start working again, it's really frustrating.

Is there a permanent fix for this?

Branson

Dirt racing tomorrow boys. I can't waiiittttt. I almost bought everything but I'm going to wait and see on it first. I'm sure the servers will be kind of overloaded tomorrow anyway.

Watevaman

Long shot here, but does anyone know of anyone who sells the "new" pedal plate for the Playseat Evolution? I've got the old generation Evolution with the non-adjustable and not pre-drilled pedal plate and it doesn't really work well if I want to invert my T500 pedals. I emailed Playseat asking if they sell the plate separately but they don't. Searching also brings up nothing. Was hoping maybe someone made their own pedal plate and doesn't need the stock one anymore.

Makikou

DIRT is indeed coming today to iRacing.

Release Notes for 2017 Season 2 Patch 2 [2017.03.28.01]

Dirt

- Dirt is finally here!

- Dirt race tracks are incredibly dynamic puzzles, changing their surfaces every lap as cars skid, scrape, and push dirt around. All these particles and the fluid nature of the track surface demanded a new particle code system, an artistic overhaul, and realistic audio to cover the vast range of variations these tracks present. We've implemented methods to cover the full range of wet to dry dirt, and the full spectrum of densities racing dirt presents including hardpan, loose, compact, and prepared racing surfaces. Finally, we've also designed the track surface itself to function like dirt racers can expect, whether it is pushing the cushion, gaining grip in certain areas, or forming a blue groove. Up and down the circuit, the vastly complex and seamlessly layered combination of track conditions creates an exhilarating experience.

- The particles, tires, and surface sounds are dynamically updated using hundreds of debris sounds and scores of tire rolling and skid sounds. These are dynamically adjusted to cover the full range of track conditions to reflect the wetness or dryness of the dirt, and to let you know when you’re driving on any combination of hardpan, compact, or loose dirt. We even hurled dirt at helmet visors to get the recordings we required!

- A brand new Pace Truck has been built and hired to manage all races at dirt ovals to create a more authentic safety vehicle experience at these tracks.

GT3

- GT3 cars are now less sensitive to drafting - you will need to be closer to other cars to feel the effect.

Audi R8 LMS GT3

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: This car now has less aerodynamic understeer, and the rear wing is more effective at tuning both downforce and aerodynamic balance.

BMW Z4 GT3

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: Increased engine torque by 1%.

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: Re-tuned straightline speed to match performance from before the tire construction and compound changes.

Ford GT GT3

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: Fuel consumption has been adjusted.

McLaren MP4-12C GT3

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: Anti-roll bars are stiffer at both ends in an effort to make handling more benign.

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: This car now has less aerodynamic understeer, and the rear wing is more effective at tuning both downforce and aerodynamic balance.

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: Re-tuned straightline speed to match performance from before the tire construction and compound changes.

Mercedes-AMG GT3

- GT3 BoP Adjustment: Fuel consumption has been adjusted.

Aston Martin DBR9 GT1

- Updated tires to have a faster response to steering inputs and lower slip angles for peak grip. This should achieve a combination of good responsiveness and the ability to identify peak grip without taking away too much over-the-limit forgiveness.

- Updated the LeMans aero package: Rearward shift in center of pressure that produces better balance in mid-to-high speed corners.

Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT1

- Updated tires to have a faster response to steering inputs and lower slip angles for peak grip. This should achieve a combination of good responsiveness and the ability to identify peak grip without taking away too much over-the-limit forgiveness.

- Updated the LeMans aero package: Rearward shift in center of pressure that produces better balance in mid-to-high speed corners.

NASCAR Camping World Chevrolet Silverado

- NEW DIRT MODEL! Free addition for all Members who already own this vehicle!
- - Our original Silverado truck, geared up for the dirt tracks!
- - The dirt model of this vehicle will now be automatically used whenever paired with a dirt track. The dirt version of the Silverado is included in the Silverado truck package.

NASCAR Camping World Toyota Tundra

- NEW DIRT MODEL! Free addition for all Members who already own this vehicle!
- - Our original Tundra truck, geared up for the dirt tracks!
- - The dirt model of this vehicle will now be automatically used whenever paired with a dirt track. The dirt version of the Tundra is included in the Tundra truck package.

NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet SS

- Updated aero, suspension, and garage setup ranges for the 2017 season.

NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Fusion

NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry

- This vehicle has been updated with a brand new 3D model.

TRACKS:

Eldora Speedway

- NEW TRACK!
- - Both by geography and history, Eldora Speedway stands at the epicenter of dirt track racing. Situated in what was once an Ohio cornfield near the Indiana state line, the half-mile clay oval lies in the very heart of the Midwest's roaring racing scene. And as host to some of the biggest events on the short track racing calendar annually - events that have attracted the top names in American racing for more than half a century - Eldora can rightly bill itself as 'The World's Greatest Dirt Track.'

USA International Speedway

- A NEW DIRT CONFIGURATION HAS BEEN ADDED! Free addition for all Members!
- - While the real USA International was a super quick, three-quarter mile paved oval, thanks to iRacing’s talented artists and software engineers, iRacers (and only iRacers) can now race on a virtual dirt version of the Lakeland, FL track. With its long straights and tight but steeply banked turns, USA International requires both a strong engine and a finely-tuned chassis, and poses a stern test of Sim racers’ ability to wheel their dirt cars around a lightning quick oval.

Volusia Speedway Park

- NEW TRACK!
- - Known as 'The Fastest Half Mile in the World,' Volusia Speedway Park is a favorite stop on both the World of Outlaws and Super DIRTcar Series calendars, as well as home to the Annual Powell Memorial for Late Models and The Iron Man 100 for V8 Thunderstocks.

Williams Grove Speedway

- NEW TRACK!
- - Hearkening back to an era when America's dirt tracks were as much a part of county fairs and amusement parks as peanuts and cotton candy, Williams Grove Speedway is located in south central Pennsylvania adjacent to the amusement park established by the Williams family in the 1850s. It was not until the late 1930s, however, that Emmett Shelley convinced the owners of Williams Grove Park to build a speedway across the street, a half mile dirt track that has since become inextricably woven into the DNA of American racing.

TJP

• Added feature to automatically export setups from player´s fastest lap in Time Trial Mode - other users can then fetch this setup by clicking the time on the timing stands and clicking the button to download it
  • Refactored SweetFX profiles & split them into categories, including new default
  • Fixed Config tool bug that would allow native anti-aliasing setting to remain on even when SweetFX is enabled (user should set AA via graphics card control panel when a SFX preset enabled)
  • Added function to automatically disable mid-race full course yellow in tracks that don´t have a Safety Car (such as historical tracks)
  • Fixed bug that would limit opponents to a single car in championship mode irrespective of the actual setting if "randomize" function was on
  • Added UI tooltip to all screens (WIP, not all options have tips and it´s not localized)
  • Added UI option to switch off big screen movies (may help some users´ stuttering issues)
  • Vehicle configuration & install buttons are now hidden when car does not feature configuration options
  • Slightly relaxed track violation detection (except for Time Trial mode)
  • Added volume multiplier to swingman cameras in all cars
  • Adjusted fuel consumption / estimates in various cars
  • Fixed dark mirrors in shadows in some Caterham models, Metalmoro, F309, Ultima GTR Race
  • Adjusted AI corner reduction base for all cars
  • Changed TimedRaceNonLeaderLaps value from 1 to 2 for all series (should address some inconsistencies as to when checkered flag is displayed at the end of timed races)
  • Reduced AI minimum passes per tick (fixing issue that could cause AI to bounce when running over sawtooth curbs)
  • Adjusted Min / Mid / Max AI performance range for several tracks
  • Adjusted default engine rev limit in F-V10, F-Reiza, added F-V12 adjustable rev limit range for a safer default setup on these cars to help prevent engine failures
  • Corrected error from previous build adjusting downshift protection for modern formula cars (increasing rather than decreasing to avoid overreving)
  • Sta Cruz: Improved AI line through chicane
  • F-Truck: Improved diesel smoke logic
  • ARC Camaro: Rim LODs distance correction; Fixed tires UV mapping; Tire now is skinnable; Adjusted engine heating equations
  • SuperV8: Further adjusted AI performance
  • Marcas: Slightly adjusted tire load stiffness & center of gravity height; Adjusted AI weight distribution for better stability & callibrated AI performance; Reduced default rear anti-roll bar stiffness
  • Montana: Minor tire model adjustments; Adjusted chassis yaw inertia (should improve handling over curbs)
  • Mini: Minor tire model adjustments; Adjusted AI weight distribution for better stability
  • Lancer: Minor tire model adjustments; Adjusted AI weight distribution for better stability
  • Ultima: Adjusted weight distribution in all models; Adjusted race tire grip on race tires and load sensitivity on road models; Adjusted engine heating equations
  • Supertruck: Slightly increased tire grip
  • Metalmoro MR18: Reduced default tire pressures; calibrated AI
  • F-Vintage: Adjusted default diff setup; Slightly reduced tires LOD A for better performance; calibrated AI; Corrected right rear wheel LOD error in HIGH detal setting
  • Boxer: Fixed bug with brake lights causing performance loss when clsoe to another car

Dave_6

Wow the dirt tracks absolutely tank my framerate, even with just me running on the track and even worse at night. Guess I'm gonna have to make some upgrades here very soon.

The 410 Sprint is ridiculous but in a good way. I mean it will pop wheelies without really trying, lol.

Ocho

Would you guys buy the Clubsport V3 Inverted Pedals? My main thing right now is open wheelers, hopefully get to F1 level sometime. I wonder if it's better to keep the normal ones for realism or get the inverted for closed wheel cars and rally, etc.

Isn't there a dedicated thread for that? ;)

Sold my Rift after 6 months. As immersive as it is, my eyes need a high resolution. I'm patiently wait for Vive2.0, whenever that may be.

Would you guys buy the Clubsport V3 Inverted Pedals? My main thing right now is open wheelers, hopefully get to F1 level sometime. I wonder if it's better to keep the normal ones for realism or get the inverted for closed wheel cars and rally, etc.

They're a nice set of pedals... if you're in the market for new pedals. I certainly wouldn't suggest ditching a perfectly good set of "normal ones" for them.

Top Bottom