• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Thanks for posting that pic! That really, really helps give me an idea on the layout now.

Which rig is that, or did you build it?

The 80/20 portion of it is one of these 4Play Racing rigs (with some modifications). It sits on top of a wooden platform that I made. It also has a frame for the monitor mounts, and the PC stand.

The 4Play rig is good. The seat I bought separately because I wanted a fixed back, but the rig itself does the job. There are nicer ones out there these days however. Sim-Lab makes a lovey looking one, for example.

YER1iu7.jpg
old pic, but you can see the frame better

Dave_6

The 80/20 portion of it is one of these 4Play Racing rigs (with some modifications). It sits on top of a wooden platform that I made. It also has a frame for the monitor mounts, and the PC stand.

The 4Play rig is good. The seat I bought separately because I wanted a fixed back, but the rig itself does the job. There are nicer ones out there these days however. Sim-Lab makes a lovey looking one, for example.

old pic, but you can see the frame better

Thanks, that's a nice looking one! I've had my eye on the one Niels sells: https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim-rigs/sim-rig-gt/?v=7516fd43adaa but it's pricey and doesn't come with a seat (though it does come with monitor mounts). The other problem is I'm still using a G27 and those nice laser cut brackets won't work with it. Granted I'm wanting to upgrade to a CSWv2 and maybe even a DD but that wasn't in the cards until after getting a rig. I'm going to look closer at that one from Sim Lab.

Edit: Looks like I'm going to have to get a CSWv2 for it too, lol.

Thanks, that's a nice looking one! I've had my eye on the one Niels sells: https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim-rigs/sim-rig-gt/?v=7516fd43adaa but it's pricey and doesn't come with a seat (though it does come with monitor mounts). The other problem is I'm still using a G27 and those nice laser cut brackets won't work with it. Granted I'm wanting to upgrade to a CSWv2 and maybe even a DD but that wasn't in the cards until after getting a rig. I'm going to look closer at that one from Sim Lab.

Edit: Looks like I'm going to have to get a CSWv2 for it too, lol.

The Heusinkveld and Sim-Lab ones are pretty similar. The HE has monitor mounts included, which certainly counts for some of the added expense.

As for the G27, the rigs are 80/20, so anything is fixable. A 24" cross piece, a few brackets, a small piece of wood for the deck, handful of screws & t-nuts. Back in business until you upgrade your wheel, at which point you can use the included sexy waterjet cut bracket.

Mad PS skillz on display:

Dave_6

Good stuff! Glad you're here cause my brain is fried from work and I wouldn't have even thought about making my own temporary mount for the G27. Guess I will probably buy that rig from Niels then. The pedal plate looks big enough too that I could still use my CSPv3 pedals and just drill four new holes for them.

I do all my gaming from my sim rig, with a little Ikea table at the side for kbm. I use a joypad instead of kbm whenever possible though.
You know what, I may have to do something simple like this. The only rig I've found so far that meets my requirements is $1800 inc shipping... double my budget. IKEA it might have to be!

TJP

Full details: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/08/roadmap-update-august-2017/

New UI:

Content:
As you know, for the competition we released an early version of Zandvoort, dubbed 0.20, indicating it is not finished yet. Although the track already is very drivable and enjoyable, we intend to further improve it over the next couple of months. Also, we’ve learned that for the DTM race this weekend, they repaved the final section of the track, and made some curb changes to the “Audi S” curve, so we’ll probably take a closer look at those for the final version.

In the mean time we have news to share on the licensing front. A lot is going on there, also in terms of tracks, but as a general rule we do not talk about licenses until the deal is sealed. We are proud to be able to announce that we signed a multi-car deal with the Italian race car manufacturer Tatuus. This will bring several of their current racing cars to rFactor 2, which should be very exciting for all the fans of open wheelers!

DX11:
In May we announced the “open beta” of our brand new DX11 engine and in the following months we have received a lot of feedback and support from the community that have lead to numerous improvements to the performance and visual fidelity. Our plan is to make DX11 our new default at the end of September. At that point we will also update our current demo version. We will keep the DX9 builds in sync until the end of the calendar year. We will continue to improve the fidelity of our DX11 engine, improving every aspect of it step by step, and this process will continue in the years to come. As we discussed last month already, we also fully intend to provide an exciting new solution for plugins to render to the screen as part of this ongoing development and we will look at what information we should really be providing “out of the box”.

Any T500RS GAFfers interested in purchasing my SLI?

vxLvDo5.png

Video

(not my image or video by the way)

- Main bank of LEDs show revs + flash when needing to change gear. Slow flash when under pit lane speed limited
- Warning lights show local yellow flags, full course yellows, blue flags, oil pressure issues, water leaks or whatever warnings you wish to receive
- Left and right numeric displays can be programmed to display all manner of info. Laps left, speed, water temp, position, fuel remaining (amount or %), revs, lap time, gap to leader, gap to next etc.
- Blue button cycles through whatever information you've selected to be displayed on the left.
- Red button for the right numeric display.
- Compatible with all the main sims
- Obviously not very useful when VRing

15 months old, but only used for about 3 months (I had to take a year off from sim racing)

Note: the 2nd green LED from the left works intermittently, depending on the weather/what I ate for dinner/US president (it was fine under Obama)

The SLI was £200 new, but will sell for £110 inc worldwide shipping.

Melkaz

Nice, Assetto Corsa+DLC is on sale again at steam.

Time to grab the Red Pack, any other worthy DLC? I only have the dream packs currently.

Edit: Thanks ValfarHL, might as well add the Porsche Season pass for 6,03 euro.

stoke1863

after a 3 year break from racing games (sold my G27 as i didnt have room)

im back in! purchased a rift a few weeks ago and found racing games absolutely class but the xbox one pad wasnt doing it for me.

I didnt want to drop a bomb so got a G29 plus shifter for £159.99, i know the Thrustmaster stuff is better but id need to upgrade the pedals and stuff so id be spending closer to £300 in the end.

Im quite happy for that price, i also got Assetto Corsa plus the dream packs DLC today and i m having a great time with it!

Im pretty slow but it's great fun, dount ill be racing online anyway.

Its a shame the new F1 game is not in VR i cant really go back now. Hopefully PC2 will be good.

Dave_6

I'm starting to backtrack on getting a rig from Niels. Doing the math, it already comes out to a little over $1600 for me in the US. Shipping is then nearly $300 :O Then I keep forgetting that it doesn't even come with a seat. :/

Got my eyes back on the Rseat RS1. No it doesn't come with a display stand/mount but all I need is a simple table since I primarily need a monitor just for menus in the sims that don't support menus in VR. Yes it's still expensive but it is a VERY nice looking rig and it's ~$1000 cheaper than the one Niels offers. Not sure it is strong enough to hold up to a OSW but I'm not sure I'll ever get a wheel above a Fanatec anyways.

Mascot

I'm starting to backtrack on getting a rig from Niels. Doing the math, it already comes out to a little over $1600 for me in the US. Shipping is then nearly $300 :O Then I keep forgetting that it doesn't even come with a seat. :/

Got my eyes back on the Rseat RS1. No it doesn't come with a display stand/mount but all I need is a simple table since I primarily need a monitor just for menus in the sims that don't support menus in VR. Yes it's still expensive but it is a VERY nice looking rig and it's ~$1000 cheaper than the one Niels offers. Not sure it is strong enough to hold up to a OSW but I'm not sure I'll ever get a wheel above a Fanatec anyways.
I really like the rseat range. If I was in the market for a new rig then rseat would definitely be on the shortlist. Then I'd probably get carried away and go full motion.

Make perfect sense, Dave.

An OSW on a RSeat shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps it'll need to some minor modifications, but structurally it should be perfectly fine (EDIT: Shaun Cole has a Bodnar mounted in his review).

Be sure to use the "50off" code for $50 off your RSeat purchase.

Dave_6

Make perfect sense, Dave.

An OSW on a RSeat shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps it'll need to some minor modifications, but structurally it should be perfectly fine (EDIT: Shaun Cole has a Bodnar mounted in his review).

Be sure to use the "50off" code for $50 off your RSeat purchase.

Sweet! Thanks for the code!

Nice to see it's strong enough for a Bodnar and those hydraulic pedals he was using. I'll never have anything like that so it's definitely strong enough for me.

Mascot

Sweet! Thanks for the code!

Nice to see it's strong enough for a Bodnar and those hydraulic pedals he was using. I'll never have anything like that so it's definitely strong enough for me.

Not tempted by the N1 Alcantara? It's a step up in price over the RS1 but damn... it looks cool. Especially in silver.

Did you see the Assetto Corsa RS1 too? That's a fine looking beast in red and black and offers better value if you were getting the MKB stand and shifter mount anyway. Free copy of the game with it, too.

If not:

Dave_6

Yeah the N1 does look cool and I was looking at it too. I'm not buying one right now as I have more important stuff to take care of first so I have time to really think it over.

Mascot

Yeah the N1 does look cool and I was looking at it too. I'm not buying one right now as I have more important stuff to take care of first so I have time to really think it over.

One thing to consider when buying a new rig (or just the seat itself): fake leather (which is probably just vinyl) can be very uncomfortable during extended sessions, especially in the summer. Sweaty back, arse and bollocks might help with the immersion of being a real racing driver but it's an unnecessary evil that us sim racers shouldn't have to endure. I swapped out my nice-looking vinyl Forza seat for a £50 second-hand velour Recaro a couple of years ago for this very reason and wish I'd done it earlier. The Recaro obviously has other advantages with comfort, ajustability and lumbar/thigh support too.

I *think* the rseat rigs give you the option of just buying the frame sans seat, so this might be something worth considering. If you really want a racing seat then you can pick up basic fabric-clad Sparco seats new relatively cheap these days (or no-brand homages on eBay even cheaper), or there's always breaker's yards for as-new second hand seats from written-off Mercs and BMWs. Hell, you might even get one with a massage function..! :p

Racing bucket seats undoubtedly look cool but aren't necessarily comfortable (especially the minimally-padded racing ones), and you don't need that figure-hugging form in a sim rig because you won't be counteracting any lateral Gs. A friend has a driver's seat from a Renault Espace (complete with electric adjustment) in his rig and it might not look as cool as a racing seat, but my God it's comfortable. The rseat RS1's don't seem to have any lumbar support at all so at the very least you might need a cushion back there. Good lumbar support would probably be my number one consideration.

Maybe canvass some opinions on the support/comfort/ventilation that their standard seats offer before making a decision? If these companies would just perforate the vinyl it'd go a long way to increasing comfort dramatically.

VVV Mars VG

The N1 looks good and with lots of adjustable options but its very big and very high, it also feels too upright to be a GT experience. The RS1 is a better call but as Mascot says' you do need a large cushion supporting that lower back, I've highlighted this issue directly to the Rseat guys and they just completely ignored it.

Dave_6

I have thought about putting a pair of Sparcos in my Mustang so I could use one of my factory seats for the rig when I go that route. They're comfortable (and cloth) but not the best for spirited driving and such.

I know well about the sweat issue with this leather office chair I use daily at my PC desk.

Mascot

The N1 looks good and with lots of adjustable options but its very big and very high, it also feels too upright to be a GT experience. The RS1 is a better call but as Mascot says' you do need a large cushion supporting that lower back, I've highlighted this issue directly to the Rseat guys and they just completely ignored it.

Lumbar support seems to be universally ignored in sim racing seats. Or maybe the manufacturers just expect us to buy expensive aftermarket pads like real drivers use?

553e25eae57d1f7770e9cbc31bad9f8d_1.jpg

I have thought about putting a pair of Sparcos in my Mustang so I could use one of my factory seats for the rig when I go that route. They're comfortable (and cloth) but not the best for spirited driving and such.

I know well about the sweat issue with this leather office chair I use daily at my PC desk.

In that situation I'd definitely try your existing Mustang seats if I was you. Don't worry about the 'spirited driving' thing unless you're in a motion rig. You are only getting thrown around in your mind..! :p

I've heard the RSeat chair is not very comfortable. I'm sure a big part of it is the seat itself, but looking at it, my impressions are that:

A) Perhaps it's not a good fit for that rig. I'd call the RSeat fairly upright rig. Like your average road car. That means you sit more on top of the chair rather than in it. If you're going to sit like that, you're going to need more padding in the butt and better lumbar support... like a road car seat.

B) The design of that (budget) chair certainly looks flatter than it should be, but it should be mounted with more more tilt in it than I'm seeing in pictures. A fixed-backed racing bucket shouldn't be sat on top of. It's supposed to take the weight off your butt and lower back, and move it higher up your back.

Here's what they're supposed to look like:

See the angle of where your legs and back meet? Look at the second picture I posted at the top of the page too. You really want to be "in" it.

Personally, *and I have a shiity, uncomfotable, cheap, Sparco Sprint knockoff that I've managed to salvage with a memory foam lumbar pillow* I prefer a fixed back seat. Mainly because I have pretty good pedals that take a fair amount of force to push. If you have/are looking to buy some higher end pedals, you're going to find that the force required is enough to flex the hinge on an adjustable back, automotive-style seat. If you want to know what I mean, go sit in your car and push hard on the dead pedal. Feel the seat flexing? That's not what you want. As long as you're able to A) get a good enough racing bucket, B) set it up correctly, and C) have the need to push hard on the pedals, a fixed back will serve you well.

Mascot

Oh man, someone's finally done an HSV-010 mod for AC but it's not really up to snuff.

linky

Super GT / GT500 cars are so woefully represented these days. It's borderline criminal.

I'd pay a lot of money for a comprehensive DLC pack in AC or pCARS/2. The licensing must be a bitch, or something.

ISI's GT-R GT500 is really enjoyable (or were they Studio 397 already?), sadly the community didn't step up to fill out the grid. What you usually hear is that it's too hard to get rFactor 2 tires to be just right for a mod car, which should make it easier if you have a set of tires for a series from a reference car like this, done by the devs.

About that new AMS track: It's beautiful, but the track doesn't seem to like my driving so far ;D
It's not quite as great as Reiza's last DLC track, but I'll try it again tomorrow - could be, I'll do better without my nephew telling me about his tablet racing games while I'm trying to learn the track.

TJP

ISI's GT-R GT500 is really enjoyable (or were they Studio 397 already?), sadly the community didn't step up to fill out the grid. What you usually hear is that it's too hard to get rFactor 2 tires to be just right for a mod car, which should make it easier if you have a set of tires for a series from a reference car like this, done by the devs.
United Racing Design have a paid for GT500 mod for rF2 & AC. I am a sucker for URD stuff as the 3D models are first class and the physics are usually really good. The GT500 mod is the first of 3 cars from Japan but I've not heard anything about the next 2 cars 8(

Be advised URD have let themselves down over the last 12-18 months with a lack of communication & timely updates for their rF2 mods (the same could be said for the AC versions which are updated faster). URD do a lot of work for well known studios, including Kunos and ISI, so I guess that's where priorities lay.

I do wonder if documentation for third party modding in rF2 is up to a decent standard yet as this was a major issue when ISI where still in charge...and will the Brabham F1 car ISI started ever be finalised!

If one is looking for high quality F1 mods, RSS are the go-to team: http://racesimstudio.com

Mascot

Had a total non-gamer mate round earlier and gave him a go on AC in VR. He was speechless. Couldn't believe how realistic it was and had no idea how far gaming had advanced. He drives an R8 in real life and was blown away to be racing in a GT version of it on famous tracks. Got a feeling he'll be spending a wedge of cash on a full set up very soon, no expense spared.

dsk1210

Had a total non-gamer mate round earlier and gave him a go on AC in VR. He was speechless. Couldn't believe how realistic it was and had no idea how far gaming had advanced. He drives an R8 in real life and was blown away to be racing in a GT version of it on famous tracks. Got a feeling he'll be spending a wedge of cash on a full set up very soon, no expense spared.

Assetto Corsa is stunning on the Vive or Rift, not only that but it's one of the best feeling driving sims ever made.

I just got back into after a good time away and I actually forgot how exilirating the handling is. The sounds is beautiful now as well and really adds to the experience.

Effect

So bought Automobilista since it was still on sale. Have no clue what I'm about to get into. Hoping this will turn out well with a controller. Will try it out on the wheel I have but I've not been bothering with it lately as I find using the pedals just not at all comfortable because of how close together they are. If I could separate them then I think my issues would be solved.

Dave_6

Yep, anxiously awaiting that one! Hopefully either them or VRC will make a late '90s era CART mod at some point.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
So... Is there anyone here who's subscribed to iRacing? I was wondering about getting into it but I don't know much about it. The whole thing seems pretty legit with online league, reputation etc. Is it worth getting into? It's 66$ for 1 year subscription.

I want to get a wheel stand and a wheel but I don't want to break the bank. Was thinking about getting a Playseat Challenge & Thrustmaster T150 Pro.

So... Is there anyone here who's subscribed to iRacing? I was wondering about getting into it but I don't know much about it. The whole thing seems pretty legit with online league, reputation etc. Is it worth getting into? It's 66$ for 1 year subscription.

If "legit racing with online league, reputation etc" is what you're after, then iRacing is what you're looking for. I'm not going to lay everything out for you, as you can get that through iRacing's own YouTube channel, or any number of "beginner's" or getting started" videos/articles.

There are a few new subscriber promos codes that active now.
Reddit said:
  • PR-MCLARENWFG - 1 year + Mclaren MP-430, Suzuka, Interlagos, COTA, and Monza for $49
  • PR-GRIPTV - 3 months plus Ford GT for $12 for new members
  • PR-V8SCOPS2017 - 3 months for $5, new members only

The World's Fastest Gamer one (PR-MCLARENWFG) is pretty tasty.

AxeMan

I want to get a wheel stand and a wheel but I don't want to break the bank. Was thinking about getting a Playseat Challenge & Thrustmaster T150 Pro.

I pretty much only race in iRacing. I do like Dirt Rally though. I have Project Cars but couldn't get into it.

I've been a subscriber to iRacing for probably about 6 or so years and I think it's the best racing you get can. You can find deals for 3 months free from memory every now and again as well if you wanted to wait before jumping in.

When you sign up you get a few free cars and tracks, both from the Oval and Road side of things.

MimiMe

It's the only game a play every week on schedule. Haven't touched AC since the release of the Nordschleife in iRacing. I play occasionally Dirt Rally when drinking, as iRacing and alcohol is a no go!

Just take your time in the lower classes. No need to hurry into upper ones!

---

My Season was so bad. Went down to 2.2k rating and there weren't many races where I thought "I did a proper job!". At least I discovered SODE for fuel management while racing in VR. Calculating while racing cost me a good position at Road America.
Worst part is that I missed Imola and Spa :(

As I can only race one series I am thinking about going back to Indy or keeping up with the Ferrari GT. Or am I just going for AMC? Less practice involved is a good thing when time is limited

Ocho

A bunch of us are. It's the only place where I online race.

Good & Bad Weather 3.2 has just been released for AC. Looks bloody amazing..!
A long shot, but does this mod have (in order of likelyhood)
-lower grip levels
-wet weather tyres
-changing conditions
-differing grip levels on different sections of the track due to standing/rubber on the racing line, forcing the player to drive offline etc
-AI that drives a wet weather line

?

I'm giving away my Apiga AP2 stand with the gear shift mount if you'd like it. I'd only ask for shipping costs, BUT I'm in Japan, so those costs might be a little expensive.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
Thanks for the reply about iRacing.

I've been looking around and it seems like a good go. I might just take the 1 year subscription with a discount code for now!

So, for racing wheel what would you guys suggest me between Thrustmaster T150 or T150 Pro (Pro is bundled with the T3PA Pedals) It's 260$ non-Pro and 350$ for Pro. (Canadian). I know the T3PA are better pedals, however I'm wondering if it's worth it. I don't plan getting the TH8A shifter (Too expensive) and I'll only be using the paddles to shift which makes the clutch useless for me.

If the Pro version is still better for 350$ should I just go all in and upgrade to T300 RS GT for 430$?

MimiMe

To me, pedals are almost more important than a wheel.

If I'd be starting now on a mid level budget, I'd go for Fanatec CSP2/ 3 (dont know about Elites) and a Thrustmaster 300 wheel base with an Alcantara and/ or F1 rim, depending on the preference.

KillerAJD

Thanks for the reply about iRacing.

I've been looking around and it seems like a good go. I might just take the 1 year subscription with a discount code for now!

So, for racing wheel what would you guys suggest me between Thrustmaster T150 or T150 Pro (Pro is bundled with the T3PA Pedals) It's 260$ non-Pro and 350$ for Pro. (Canadian). I know the T3PA are better pedals, however I'm wondering if it's worth it. I don't plan getting the TH8A shifter (Too expensive) and I'll only be using the paddles to shift which makes the clutch useless for me.

If the Pro version is still better for 350$ should I just go all in and upgrade to T300 RS GT for 430$?

Just a quick heads up, not sure which discount you were planning on using, but if you sign up using the USAC promotion, you can get a year for only $49US! LINK Hopefully it works in CA. You'll still get the same stuff you would if you sign up any other way, but I think it's the steepest discount at the moment for new accounts.

As far as the wheel/pedals, the T150 is perfectly fine. I bought one as a secondary wheel for my brother, and it is comparable to the DFGT that I had originally (now using a T500). I managed to get the T150 as a refurbished T150 Pro Package for $137US(!!!!) on Ebay a few months ago, so if you can find any deals lower than retail, jump on it quick.

I would definitely recommend the upgraded pedals, as the base ones seem comparable to the DFGT pedals, and while they definitely worked, moving up to better pedals made a bigger difference than the better wheel.

I've not used a T300, but I've heard it's similar (some say better, others worse) to the T500. The only real negative is I've heard lots of chatter about reliability. Again, I don't personally have one, but it's something to look into.

And I have no experience with Fanatec stuff. I'm sure others can chime in. My buddy has a G27 that has been rock solid since he got it 5 years ago. The G29/G290 is nearly identical (other than it's a bit of a worse deal since you have to buy the shifter separate, and the shifter has less functionality).

Maybe it would be better to get the T150 base package, and if you like that, grab the upgraded pedals for $100(or whatever it is CA)? Sim racing is an absolute blast, but you can quickly find yourself spending copious amounts of money. Maybe get your feet wet before jumping straight in? Either of the T150 packages would work well enough to get you started.

And as far as iRacing goes, it's absolutely the place to play if you want to be online. Some of the more niche stuff is obviously not as popular, but the big stuff always has races going, and it's an absolute blast!

Top Bottom