• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

1:15.454

Monza! The awkward combo of Liverpool FC, NASCAR and Monza banking is quite amusing! It's not one of my favourites either, but as you say, a comprehensive job as usual and no doubt will be used on almost every series for the next few seasons, so probably worth it!

Mmm, a carrot. Just what I needed!

Aggressive lap!

1:15.606

I wasn't terribly excited by it. A few mistakes, occasionally too conservative. I've got a few tenths more left in me.

ShadaowPlay f'd up, and I had to record the replay. I toggled the time at the end. I'm not sure why I included the TV cam because rF's replays are embarrassing. Not a huge priority for me, but when you want one, it would be nice if they didn't look like toy cars.

I'm thinking my shorter distance method on one of the later corners was a mistake.
I wouldn't give up on it yet, I tend to prefer that line too... then again, neither of us are in first place :p

I was hoping for some lapping tonight, but beer beckons. If I return at a reasonable hour, I may try a drunk attempt, they're always fun to watch back.

**Don't drink and drive kids**

:D We've seen your skills! Boozy Marv>Sober Marv

For the moment I've settled into a half and half through there. One thing for sure is the real shallow line I originally took is slower. Drifting the rubbered line is probably faster, but A. you risk going off the outside, and B. you risk over-rotation for the right hander. Irritatingly enough, Betta did neither. :p

---------------

Sonoma is now available to purchase for RaceRoom. 499 Annoying Points™

10904612_840344156022100_1346766473853182357_o.jpg

So I watched Betta's GSC set up video and realised I didn't have stearing lock setup correctly. Also had traction control on by accident and remembered to turn off tire wear and fuel. Car actually feels alive now goddamn. Improved to 1.16.2 but I still suck at simracing.

Don't have rfactor 2 so I'll stick with this challenge for a bit.

I'm in the same situation as Atrophis in not having rf2 but I'm loving the GSCE now the traction control is off. Knocked chunks off to get 1:15:151; feels like a 1:14 is possible as I'm actually learning now.

I'm in the same situation as Atrophis in not having rf2 but I'm loving the GSCE now the traction control is off. Knocked chunks off to get 1:15:151; feels like a 1:14 is possible as I'm actually learning now.
Good stuff TechicMOC. I just tried TC on and yeah... no wonder you were struggling, feels pretty restrictive even on Low.

TJP

rFactor 2:

Brabham-Repco BT20 Update Released: http://www.mediafire.com/download/pg1c8rtd1y46m18/ISI_Brabham_BT20_1966-v1.60.rfcmp

Changelog:

Physics
ModelWheelsIncludeAllTireMass’ fix / enhancement.
Moved to ultra chassis (with Chassis Flex).
Inertia’s recalculated for total body and for individual parts (such as brake discs, etc).
Revised suspension geometry from scratch. Pushrod locations are also using the new method and which should give accurate motion ratio’s throughout the entire range of travel of the suspension.
Dampers and springs revised to match
Reduced maximum steering lock so that tyres would not intersect suspension parts.
Moved over to new steering system.
Tyres scratch made. The old ones were slightly too wide and rear radius was too low. Also the effect of real road on these old tyres has been reduced the tyres also have a lower wear rate.
Numerous minor AI correlation tweaks.
Tweaked undertray locations and added one more point.
Brake system completely recalculated based on new data (the effective Brake Bias is ~57% front on default).
Differential now allows preload adjustments.
New tyre parameters included for wet weather added.
Engine life tweaked.
Minor fixes.

Sound
Using new sound internal / external attenuation variables and scrub individually to tyre sounds.

Graphics
Brand new historic driver, completely from scratch.
Added individual driver faces for a more authentic feel.
Graphically corrected front rims to 15″, front tyre radius slightly reduced. Tyre widths also slightly adjusted.
Brake discs corrected to 11″ (F/R)
Steering wheel mapping update
Shaders update
Various textures updated
Holes in the back+under car body fixed
Minor LOD distance tweaks.
Included additional liveries by our test team.

UI
Class name now occupies only 1 entry in vehicle filter list.
Category now starts at manufacturer to be more consistent with other cars.

mrsmr2

Sorted my framerate issue in AC, it was the frame limiter.

For whatever reason, setting the fps to 60, limits the game to 58.8 (vsyc on or off).
Setting it to 58 fps with vsync off produced 55.5 in game. 63 and over gives me 60fps in game (vsync on).

Tearing wasn't anywhere as bad as it used to be, but it was a bit stuttery and seemed to drop frames. Basically unplayable.

Using Riva to lock the game at 59fps gave the best compromise for tearing without the inconsistent frame rate/stutter than the in-game frame limiter produces. Setting it to 58, 60, 61 produced terrible tearing.

I was pleased to see that with 14 other AI, and me starting at the back of the grid there was hardly any drop from 60fps with vsync on and ingame frame limiter > 62.

Lach

Had some fun races in iRacing on the weekend.

Trying to finally get out of Rookie in Oval, but damn it's hard. For every 3 clean races you do, you have one where some guy directly in front of you goes mayham and you have nowhere to go (or if you lift of the gas a bit to avoid, the guy behind you crashes into you and blames you). And that one race completly destroys the safety rating you've build with clean races.

Anyhow I'm still having fun with it. Twice I now had the situation where I was in a group with 4-5 cars in the lead a few seconds ahead and I've made the wise decision to drop back a bit in the penultimate lap. Watching those in front of you wrecking in the last corner is fun :)

Sorry, no drunk driving hotlaps to show. I was too drunk to unfold my foldaway racing stand.

Good news: I've a new office and moved my racing gear there for a permanent setup.

Bad news: No internet connection in the office until the 28th and therefore no downloading of updates or uploading of hotlap screenshots.

Ark

Had some fun races in iRacing on the weekend.

Trying to finally get out of Rookie in Oval, but damn it's hard. For every 3 clean races you do, you have one where some guy directly in front of you goes mayham and you have nowhere to go (or if you lift of the gas a bit to avoid, the guy behind you crashes into you and blames you). And that one race completly destroys the safety rating you've build with clean races.

Anyhow I'm still having fun with it. Twice I now had the situation where I was in a group with 4-5 cars in the lead a few seconds ahead and I've made the wise decision to drop back a bit in the penultimate lap. Watching those in front of you wrecking in the last corner is fun :)

If you're really desperate to get out of Rookies, just start from the pits every race and you'll have the SR required for a D license in no time at all. Although actually, promotions are next week anyway so if you've got the required MPR then there's nothing to worry about :p

Personally I'm really looking forward to Road Atlanta in the GT3 series tomorrow. I love the track and I'm really enjoying driving it with the McLaren.

Lach

If you're really desperate to get out of Rookies, just start from the pits every race and you'll have the SR required for a D license in no time at all. Although actually, promotions are next week anyway so if you've got the required MPR then there's nothing to worry about :p

I'm not that desperate yet, and it's more fun to race. If I'm still below 3.0 on the weekend I'll throw in a few pit starts...

Megasoum

Banned
Looks like rFactor is out on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339790/

You can request a steam key here if you previously bought it

Looks like they added a lot of stuff to the Steam edition too.. Other than all the Steam api stuff (multiplayer, voice chat, achievements, etc)

Over the years, as computers and 3D graphics cards became more powerful and on-line leagues bigger, some mods have managed to break the 2GB memory limit that rFactor as a 32 bit application has. The Steam version of rFactor now supports 4GB out of the box.

I’ve mentioned cockpits before, and another area where rFactor could use an update is in its support for multiple controllers. Up til now, rFactor supported up to 3 controllers, with up to 32 buttons per controller. Some current cockpits, including mine, had more, so I updated the code to support up to 6 controllers and 64 buttons per controller. Also we included more controller profiles for common hardware, to get you started quickly.

The last aspect is better support for cockpits that feature triple screen setups. In such setups, you can run realistic Field Of View settings (with a single screen you usually end up compromising the FOV to get better visibility) and rFactor now supports both setting lower vertical FOV angles, down to 10 degrees, and mapping controls to buttons to change the FOV in-car.

Finally, two small issues were addressed. One is that the number of pitstops are now counted correctly. The original code in rFactor was a bit too optimistic and added a pitstop whenever you left the pits, including when you simply drove out of your garage. That has now been corrected and this fix was also implemented in rFactor 2. The other is that by default the server now does not pause while zero players are connected to it. While paused, plugins do not get called, which means it is hard for them to update certain statistics. An improvement for this in both rFactor and rFactor 2 is being discussed internally, but for now not pausing the server is the best option.

Whoa, that came out of the blue. The Williams badly needed an update, but somehow I wasn't expecting it. With all kinds of new stuff to simulate, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

...and yeah, hopefully by late summer they'll both be running.

Shaneus

Looks like rFactor is out on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339790/

You can request a steam key here if you previously bought it

Looks like they added a lot of stuff to the Steam edition too.. Other than all the Steam api stuff (multiplayer, voice chat, achievements, etc)
Is that original rFactor or rFactor 2? Don't you get rFactor when you buy... um... GTR or whatever those SimBin titles are, or would that be akin to getting it if you bought GSC (which you clearly don't)?

Watevaman

Is that original rFactor or rFactor 2? Don't you get rFactor when you buy... um... GTR or whatever those SimBin titles are, or would that be akin to getting it if you bought GSC (which you clearly don't)?

It's rFactor 1 by the looks of it.

And no, you don't get rFactor if you buy GTR, at least to my knowledge.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah.. I realized today that I never actually bought rf1 lol... It managed to slip through the crack and I kinda always had a better game to buy at the time so I never go it.

Basically I have most of the rf1 engine games but not rf1 proper lol.

Shaneus

Yeah.. I realized today that I never actually bought rf1 lol... It managed to slip through the crack and I kinda always had a better game to buy at the time so I never go it.

Basically I have most of the rf1 engine games but not rf1 proper lol.
So with that, do we really need to buy it now? I'd have thought ISI would be better bringing rF2 under early access or something.

rF2 will never be a full game though, will it? Found my receipt from 3 years ago saying I payed $43 for it. What a waste of money.

Megasoum

Banned
So with that, do we really need to buy it now? I'd have thought ISI would be better bringing rF2 under early access or something.

rF2 will never be a full game though, will it? Found my receipt from 3 years ago saying I payed $43 for it. What a waste of money.

Yeah there's no way I'm buying rf1 right now unless there's a DEEP discount on Steam but that kind of game never really gets on the big holiday sales.

Same than you for rf2... I bought the basic package that exprired a year later (not that I ever really play online with my sims anyway) and I barely played it. Really didn't like it when it first came out. Gave it another chance the other day for the hotlap challenge and had a ton of fun but still... It's kinda shallow experience... Great for hotlapping and multiplayer but other than that... Also it's a fucking mess to install and manage. Putting it on Steam would help for that at least.

Now with pCARS coming out soon, I'll be set for a long time sim wise. There's so much depth and content in that game... Finally we're getting a proper sim with a real career on PC!

The only reason I'm not playing it everyday right now is because we still have to delete our profile with every new builds so it's impossible to do real progress in the career.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Same than you for rf2... I bought the basic package that exprired a year later (not that I ever really play online with my sims anyway) and I barely played it. Really didn't like it when it first came out. Gave it another chance the other day for the hotlap challenge and had a ton of fun but still... It's kinda shallow experience... Great for hotlapping and multiplayer but other than that... Also it's a fucking mess to install and manage. Putting it on Steam would help for that at least.

Quote from the Marcel Offermans who made the the rF1 steam port
Early 2012 ISI released rFactor 2, an evolution of the original version. It contained a lot of code that had been developed as part of rFactor Pro, a version of the simulation that is sold to professional racing and formula one teams, backported into the new “consumer” version. It enhanced the original with a more sophisticated tire and physics model and features like variable weather and a “real road” track surface that changes over the course of a race and really takes into account where cars drive instead of relying on some pre-defined “ideal line”.

Like I said here in page 15, rFactor 2 is a software, not a game.

TJP

Speaking of rFactor - new shader previews from Stock Car Extreme: https://www.facebook.com/ReizaStudios/posts/10153138608057743

Reiza said:
We have taken a few extra steps updating our terrain shaders and textures to offer more detailed variation and realistic looking environments. All tracks in both GSC & Formula Truck will receive the same treatment.

Reiza are also working on automatic steering wheel ratio adjustments for GSCE - set at 900º and forget! More info here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-set-up-your-steering-wheel-for-gsc-extreme.100889/

Subtle, but nice. It's one of those things that I think will be more noticeable when you've got it loaded up in front of you.

I made a gif:

kjkj2nuv7.gif

TJP

Same than you for rf2... <snip>Also it's a fucking mess to install and manage. Putting it on Steam would help for that at least.
Really? rF2 used to be a pain in the arse - I found build 930 makes it crystal clear as to what official tracks and cars are available and the mod manager downloads and install each add-on for you. Adding content to rF2 couldn't be easier! As for putting rF2 on Steam, it would just mean rF2 is more visable to the non-enthusiast racing crowd ala Game Stock Car Extreme and iRacing.

Quote from the Marcel Offermans who made the the rF1 steam port <snip> Like I said here in page 15, rFactor 2 is a software, not a game.
Here is the official blog post: http://www.planetmarrs.net/rfactor-full-steam-ahead/

For all the grief ISI get for rF2's graphics, the FFB, tyre model and vehicle physics are arguably the best available on PC today - simulation software it most certainly is. There are areas that could be addressed to make rF2 more game like (e.g. a career mode like GTR 2 had) but I doubt the tiny dev team at ISI are interested right now.

Megasoum

Banned
Really? rF2 used to be a pain in the arse - I found build 930 makes it crystal clear as to what official tracks and cars are available and the mod manager downloads and install each add-on for you. Adding content to rF2 couldn't be easier! As for putting rF2 on Steam, it would just mean rF2 is more visable to the non-enthusiast racing crowd ala Game Stock Car Extreme and iRacing.

Here is the official blog post: http://www.planetmarrs.net/rfactor-full-steam-ahead/

For all the grief ISI get for rF2's graphics, the FFB, tyre model and vehicle physics are arguably the best available on PC today - simulation software it most certainly is. There are areas that could be addressed to make rF2 more game like (e.g. a career mode like GTR 2 had) but I doubt the tiny dev team at ISI are interested right now.

Oh the installation process is a lot better than it used to be for sure but there's still a lot of room to improve.

Shaneus

Very impressive. I feel like I underrate Reiza's audio for some reason.
Possibly because it's not spatial? I'm pretty sure there's no special 3D positional stuff going on, at least, I don't think the original (or even modified) rF1 engine supports it.

But yeah, that video is a real eyeear-opener.

Ark

I'm in the middle of making a NeoGAF livery for the McLaren MP4-12C in iRacing and it got me thinking; do we have any iRacers here that are interested in racing the 12 hours of Sebring in the McLaren as a NeoGAF team?

I think the minimum is two drivers, but I'd be happy just to get a GAF entry going :p

Top Bottom