• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmmm

http://www.virtualr.net/logitech-g29-first-photo-leaked

vhx7d0.jpg

Azzawon

That thing looks entirely fake to me.

I dunno, it could possibly be a prototype. Has the new Logitech 'G' and the button layout is very much a like a more refined DFGT. Full leather wheel is a good step up too. The documents found at the link seem pretty legit.

I've never had a Logitech myself because of lack of Xbox support but they do seem like genuinely great wheels.

Zeknurn

It looks different enough from the DFGT for it to be real and not be a fanmade rim.

I wonder if the dpad + playstation part being separate means that there will be different versions for each platform.

Well we know something's up with Logitech, so perhaps it is legit. It's clearly a parts bin special, but the market is in desperate need of a wheel in that sub-$250 price range.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah I mean... The fake we had the other day was really just a DFGT rim on a G27 base with G27 pedals.

At least this one is completely unique which makes it more credible.

Zeknurn

Someone on the pCARS forums seems to be in the know.

He said:
  • Shifter sold seperately
  • G27 pedals with improvements
  • Supports PC/PS3/PS4 with an Xbox One version coming later
  • Plans to have it ready for F1 2015

Why is everyone going nuts for a new Logitech wheel? I remember them being really notchy and terribly loud.
The G27 fixed the loudness and 'notchyness' of the G25 and other wheels (to some extent) by using helical gears. I think the excitement comes from them being a respected brand with wide distribution and (arguably?) legendary customer support. You're more likely to find a random good deal on a Logitech wheel that is stocked in all kinds of mainstream electronics retailers than Fanatec for instance.

The DF/G25/G27 have been incredibly popular over the years because they represent good value and reliability. They're no match for high-end stuff, but the G27 is still a great deal for the price.

Megasoum

Banned
1. Does he run any FFB through that wheel? It moves with the freedom of a Rally-X arcade machine circa 1980.
2. For the love of God, wear some long sleeves with those gauntlets, Digi! :p

He has an account here on Gaf but I'm not sure if he ever posted in this thread.

Arucardo

Besides doing laps for the pCARS TT lately I've rediscovered how much fun Assetto Corsa is online. There's at least two dedicated(I think they are at least) servers running the Tourist layout of the laser scanned Nordschleife.

It's basically a trackday and it's like the best thing I can think of besides actually going there. There's one server for race built cars and one for road cars. Trying to put in a good lap while avoiding traffic is loads of fun. We've grouped up too using the in-game chat to go through the course as fast as possible but trying to stick together as a pack. Also, I'm surprised there's not too many jerks to be found, usually if you're in a faster car and the car in front of you notices they give way.

I've not tried the Nordschleife online, will have to give that a try. I jumped onto some random servers in AC yesterday, had a couple of pretty decent races. Still some nutters around, but plenty of sensible drivers too.

Zeth

I've not tried the Nordschleife online, will have to give that a try. I jumped onto some random servers in AC yesterday, had a couple of pretty decent races. Still some nutters around, but plenty of sensible drivers too.

I tend to have much better luck on servers with road cars.

TJP

Something longer and less crappy than Gamespot's player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49RnBTSQ78
Milestone are an odd developer - when they had the official WRC licence they made pretend stages, many of which looked and felt to be copy and pasted with straights, hairpins, tree locations etc.

After a few average releases, Milestone lose the WRC licence and are now recreating actual rally stages for a non-official rally game!

TJP

rFactor 2

Dallara DW12 Indy car updated: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24816

Changelog:

Physics / Setup
– Fixed fuel tank capacity.
– Fuel tank position corrected (slightly lower and further forward)
– Allowing both compounds during race.
– Added ‘weight jacker’. Garage only at this time.
– Brand new CPM enabled tyres.
– Better undertray points.
– Better ride height ranges and defaults.
– Caster range now 4-10 as per real life.
– Accurate suspension geometry that varies between oval / road course.
– Tyre pressure ranges more realistic (as are defaults)
– Updated trackconfigsbase.ini to have proper layout names for Mountain Peak and newer tracks.
– Minor Turbo error correction.
– Aero corrections for both speedway and road courses. (Main change is more accurate and higher downforce for speedway config)
– Recalculated brake system & restricted brake bias range.
– Improved unsprung masses.
– Added wheelbase options, the primary purpose of which is to adjust the weight distribution. 119″ is ideal for speedways, 120″ may be ok for road courses.
– Increased the weight of the car (was ~missing driver weight).
– Slightly more damage sensitive.
– Increased CG height according to new data.
– More accurate default RC toe angles.
– Increase AI’s grip a touch (road course).
– Recalc’ed and more accurate anti-roll bar rates, ranges.
– Fixed small error on front wing range (now goes up to 32° on RC / SC)
– Slight increase in mid-range torque and also fuel consumption, and attempted improvement for fuel estimate.
– Allowing stiffer springs.
– Now using spool differential (locked axle), for ovals.
– Increase in chassis flex.
– Min brake ducts now have MUCH less cooling, Max similar.
– Brake Duct drag and lift reduced (so penalty is a little lower).
– Steering system updated.
– Opponent sound attenuation increased (so other cars are slightly less audible).
– Steering ratio corrected (default, options not available yet).
– Very slightly less sensitive to turbulent air
– Auto-shift tweak (helps AI)

Visuals
– Fix so rotation matches in-game.
– Fixed problem with Alternates showing as Primaries at race start
– air intake gap fixed
– hands animation fixed
– new tyre damage texture
– spinner scene fixed
– Fixed tyre compound visibility in spinner.
– Digits on the steering wheel increased to 5
– Digital Yellow message “Yel” aligned
– Graphics : whole model rescale (+2%),
– Front susp arms corrected.
– Mirrored rear wing back logo (#27 #77)
– Various texture fixes

Direct DL link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9liyw8oy24dlyna/ISI_DallaraDW12_2014-v162.rfcmp

Mascot

I think I'll just keep the times updated in the pCARS thread rather than clog up both threads. Cool? Feel free to post a time here however if you'd like. I'm updating the times in post #2 of this thread as well like I always do.

I'm misplaced in the RUF table. My time is shit so I need all the help I can get :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I asked in the DiRT Rally thread and Ark already answered but I figure I'll get a second opinion from people at large:

How's the Thrustmaster T80 racing wheel? Should I return it?

? Should I keep it? I'm looking for a cheap starter wheel, but if there's something better for $100 to try, I'll take the suggestions.

I'd say you want something with FFB... so if you can find a second hand Logitech Driving Force GT or the older Driving Force Pro, it'll be a better way to start.

Assuming you're in the US, I looked on Amazon.com for the DFGT, and there is someone selling one 'Used - Like New' for $73.99... hard to believe but possibly worth the risk? Several others on there for a bit over $100.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd say you want something with FFB... so if you can find a second hand Logitech Driving Force GT or the older Driving Force Pro, it'll be a better way to start.

Assuming you're in the US, I looked on Amazon.com for the DFGT, and there is someone selling one 'Used - Like New' for $73.99... hard to believe but possibly worth the risk? Several others on there for a bit over $100.

Oh, the T80 doesn't have Force Feedback? I guess I'll return it, then. It was either this or the Thrustmaster Ferrari for the new X-box as a choice at the store. I guess I'll have to look into ordering online then.

Edit: Yeah, it doesn't have FFB. I'll be taking it back to the store. What I get for a quickie purchase.

I love these things. There's so much here to digest!

Huge patch coming soon which includes, but is not limited to unified menus, and the death of the green orb (dear god, finally) tranny model, sound improvements, AI improvements, dedicated server software, content.

DTM 2015, WTCC 201x, laser scanned Nordschleife, open wheel cars all coming eventually.

These guys are really doing a good job.

Trellet Season 11: GT3 Championship Highlights video has been finished. Trellet.net is a finnish sim racing forum that holds leagues in different sim racing games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlA62lZZNdE

Video made by Eero "Puhehuhe" Vuorenmaa

Trellet.net - Creating Aliens

Nice video!

TJP

I love these things. There's so much here to digest!

Huge patch coming soon which includes, but is not limited to unified menus, and the death of the green orb (dear god, finally) tranny model, sound improvements, AI improvements, dedicated server software, content.

DTM 2015, WTCC 201x, laser scanned Nordschleife, open wheel cars all coming eventually.

These guys are really doing a good job.
Yes, Sector 3 are doing a sublime job; shame few people want to try the newest builds because of the earlier sim-light handling model that was supposed to ape the console sims. Here is something else we've been testing (apart from things in the dev steam): ADAC GT Masters Experience 2014 Demo

This is a stand-alone demo so no Steam required! DL link: http://adac-gtm-experience.com/demos/ADAC_GTM_Experience_2014_Demo_Setup.exe

Tracks:
Hockenheimring
Sachsenring

Cars:
Audi R8 LMS Ultra
BMW Z4 GT3

Game Modes:
Track Test: Free practice with full ADAC GT Masters grid with AI-drivers
Single races: With qualifying and race

3 Physics models:
from easy handling for newcomers to the professional mode “Get Real”

That was a good idea if there ever was one.

The old demo is such a poor representation of what the game is today. A full weekend with the GT3 Z4 at the Sachsenring is however. It's a proper slice of fun. Get the AI dialed in to your speed, and you'll get a very fun and realistic feeling racing experience. I'm looking forward to seeing people's comments who perhaps haven't spent much time with the game.

Odd that they're releasing this now instead of waiting for the patch improvements. Hopefully they're already in there.

TJP

That was a good idea if there ever was one.

The old demo is such a poor representation of what the game is today. A full weekend with the GT3 Z4 at the Sachsenring is however. It's a proper slice of fun. Get the AI dialed in to your speed, and you'll get a very fun and realistic feeling racing experience.
Sector 3's JF answered a question on the PRC blog:

– You can test drive any car in RaceRoom for free. No strings attached. In the store, just click “Test Drive” on the car you want to test and you can do this an unlimited amount of times.

– You do not have to buy content in packs. You are entirely free to purchase a unique model and still you will be able to race with your friends even if they own cars that you don’t. I.E.: owning just one of the GT Masters models allows you to join any GT Masters multiplayer server.

And no we’re definitely not simcade, thanks for pointing that out. We were, though, back in 2013. They were trying to please everyone by having one unique handling that was some sort of hybrid between arcade and simulation. Simplified physics, etc.

That’s changed since quite a while, so has the mentality of the team

You can watch the stream we had yesterday. We talk about the physics improvements in collaboration with race engineers from Roal: http://www.twitch.tv/raceroomracingexperience/v/5539458 (amongst other things!)

Top Bottom