• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Arucardo

I bought a TrackIR 5 and a track clip pro ages ago, 100 eur or so well spent :p . Will probably sell it after the rift comes out though.

Megasoum

Banned
EDTracker ordered.

I got the pre-built version with case and with the magnometer. With shipping to Canada it comes up to 75$ Canadian...not too bad.

They say it takes 2-3 weeks to process the order though.

I've been contemplating an H shifter for some time now and was either going to go for the ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 or Frex Hshift+

Sadly the Japanese Fanatec site still doesn't even list the SQ V1.5 and importing from another territory pretty much invalidates the warranty.

The reviews of the Frex gave me an erection and I very much thought it was going to be the lever for me. Especially because of the SimSyncho optional extra, that prevents the physical engaging of gears unless the clutch pedal was depressed. But oh my, the total would be over 50,000yen, an unjustifiable sum.

In the end, I went for the much cheaper TH8A, mentioned on the previous page, for a paltry 18,000yen. It seems perfectly fine, durable and does what I expected it to do but my lap times sure have taken a beating. Mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. Thankfully the enjoyment of manually changing gears far outweighs the loss in lap time.

bee

Accuforce review

really interested in hearing a lot more about this sim commander software for better force feedback, i mean you can even see it's better when he revs the engine stood still. only issue for me is it seems like it's not desk mountable, think i'll just butcher my desk though and drill it into position

Accuforce review

really interested in hearing a lot more about this sim commander software for better force feedback, i mean you can even see it's better when he revs the engine stood still. only issue for me is it seems like it's not desk mountable, think i'll just butcher my desk though and drill it into position

The Sim Commander integration sounds pretty incredible indeed. I hadn't put enough thought into how great the software would be. Duh, right? That's what they do.

All right, Sim-GAF. After floundering around for a while, I think it's high time we do some laps "together". I think I'll do up a little schedule with some dates and events, but for now I've made my pick...

When? Today! Jan. 19th Ends: Next Monday Jan 26th

Sim: RaceRoom Racing Experience
"Leaderboard Challenge" mode
Track: Portimao (Algarve), GP layout
Car: Saleen S7R
Get Real handling model, don't care what else you choose to run for assists etc.

Somebody else's video of this combo because Shadowplay isn't working in RR for me for some reason.

The game is free, the track is free, and the car is free. No excuses!

I was late to the party, but RaceRoom really is a terrific racing game. Whatever it may lack in dynamics and simulation, it makes up for in fun. One of, if not the the most fun sim on the market right now for AI racing, imo.

Portimao is an absolutely wonderful circuit too. Best circuit that you're probably least familiar with. Perfect for a hotlap challenge. The Saleen, while you won't be rubbing your hands together in anticipation, is a good car. I don't much care for the other free choices, so this was the best available.

Anyway, hope you decide to compete. All levels of skill are welcome. Just have a good time!

1. 1:38.027 - Betta Lines
2. 1:38.128 - Big Takeover
3. 1:38.923 - Furnace Inferno
4. 1:39.235 - Seanspeed
5. 1:39.832 - Arucardo
6. 1.40.392 - Jilt
7. 1:41:669 - DD
8. 1:44.005 - IceCreamKimi[/QUOTE]

* RR:RE has this Leaderboard mode that uses real names. GAF is a publicly viewed forum, so we won't be doing that here. Just post your time, and we'll keep track of it here using your GAF name.

** "Session Settings" is where you turn off the ghost, lines and markers

TJP

Thanks for highlighting this DD. It is an interview everyone who visits this thread should read because of gems such as:

Race Department said:
In our last interview you gave us some details about your next project "Senna game". Can you be more precise about it now? With such a title, do you have a higher pressure on shoulders than with GSC?
Renato Simioni said:
The project has evolved considerably from our initial concept. Production is ongoing, slowly but surely. It´s a big thing and a big responsibility, but it´s a very complicated project from both a technical and licensing point of view, so we´re really going to take our time with it until we have lined up all the required elements and resources. It has taken a long time already but this year I believe we´ll have what we need to really focus on it and hopefully have it out by early 2016.

Sony and PD didn't 'kill' the Senna sim - it's still an going project!

Ha!

Bit of a random one but now that I've got considerably more performance out of iRacing I might be able to produce more regular videos. My upload speed is terrible though :(

Also thanks for getting the ball rolling on that hotlap challenge - I hope everyone has a go! Certainly a good reason to install R3E to at least try it out.

Seanspeed

Banned
All right, Sim-GAF. After floundering around for a while, I think it's high time we do some laps "together".
Ok.

EDIT: Just tried downloading it, but its saying the signature is corrupt or invalid...? That's a new one for me. Any other links where I can get it?

Yay. I never give the game enough love because its down hidden in my files, rather than right there on Steam.

Seanspeed

Banned
You're talking about R3E on Steam? I don't think it's available through any other means...
Raceroom Experience, right? Didn't see it on Steam, so I went to their site.

Are there different games I'm mixing up?

EDIT: Yea, just double checked Steam. Searched for 'Raceroom' and 'R3E' and nothing came up.

oipic

Hmm... that's weird. Not coming up for me in the search either. It should be there, I'm sure it has always only been available on Steam since the beta.

[edit] They are discussing here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dissaperance-of-r3e-from-steam.99326/ - all Simbin stuff has disappeared apparently, perhaps a hiccup with the name change... hopefully nothing more sinister!

Just in case anyone is looking for this, the direct link to install RaceRoom via Steam is steam://install/211500.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm... I imagine they will only have the "Extreme" version on Steam?

I'm pretty sure I only have the original GSC on the Raiza website, not the extreme version.

Watevaman

Hmm... I imagine they will only have the "Extreme" version on Steam?

I'm pretty sure I only have the original GSC on the Raiza website, not the extreme version.

I thought the Extreme stuff was a free upgrade for everyone who already owned GSC2013? They just added the Extreme part and upped the price to compensate for the new stuff they were adding.

Megasoum

Banned
I thought the Extreme stuff was a free upgrade for everyone who already owned GSC2013? They just added the Extreme part and upped the price to compensate for the new stuff they were adding.

Hmm.. Then maybe I don'T have the 2013 version? I'm not sure... I have the first version of the game.

Edit: Yeah I have "Game Stock Car Full Version " bought in August 2012 so I guess I just don't have 2013 at all.

It was, but Megasoum is probably referring to the original Game Stock Car, which had a free update to become GSC2012. GSC2013 had to be bought separately.

[edit] beaten!

Megasoum

Banned
Looks like I'll wait for 2013 Extreme to hit up steam before buying it then since my old 2012 version probably won't do anything.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, well shit, RaceRoom is good. Really impressed. I only played for a bit more than a half an hour, but I was up and running pretty quickly. I love it when this stuff just *works*. I could probably fiddle with a few things to make it a bit better, but it feels good pretty much out of the box. The sound is also amazing. Best I've heard in any racing game yet by far.

For the hotlap challenge, I'm down to a 1:39.802 so far.

Probably wont be able to play anymore til tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to it.

Megasoum

Banned
I tried R3E last week but coming out of AC, I just couldn't. Doesn't help that the very first thing you see are the absolute worst menu design ever created.

Then I got on track and really didn't like the feel at all.

I also hate the business model.

I tried R3E last week but coming out of AC, I just couldn't. Doesn't help that the very first thing you see are the absolute worst menu design ever created.
It really is awful. So unintuitive... even the awkward layouts of earlier Simbin titles were better. I think it's something you'd get used to or even learn to like if R3E was your only sim, but flicking between them all, it stands out as being the weirdest.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
I agree R3E sound amazing.
I also agree the UI is crap and the business model also.

For the driving, It's not at the Asseto Corsa level, besause the FBB is weird, with the default config of my Thrustmaster TX I have a big 'return to center' force who destroy the driving. I can fix this in Windows setting (by removing all the damper or the spring, I don't remember wich one), it's more drivable but Idon't have the road feel of AC/rF2.

Also you cannot chose the assist you want or not, it's just 2 presets, and no virtual racing line.

Nice time, Seanspeed! I had I feeling you'd dig RaceRoom. I've added your time to the board.

-----------------

The menus are indeed soul crushing. I can't tell you the amount of times I previously fired it up to give it one last try, and didn't even make it out of the menus. I was just too appalled, and that's coming from someone who regularly plays the rFactors!

I think trying something different with the business model is OK. Even though I prefer the traditional full priced game, I don't automatically shun everything else. It's still fucked up however - "everything is always on huge sale!!" Please don't treat me like I'm stupid. Nothing could be more patronizing.

It's biggest problem is there's an obvious disconnect between the business, the vision, and the driving/racing. The game as a whole is so incredibly mismatched. I've never seen anything quite like it to be honest.

All of that said, after seeing too many people say the racing side of it was really starting to come around, it wasn't until I spent money on the ADAC 2014 pack that I saw underneath all this crap was a really good racing game. I had to take a flier on it based on other people's opinion, because I would have never came to that conclusion on my own. I think it was Empty Box's video that probably pushed me over the edge. Give it a watch if you'd like to see the paid content being played.

Aside from the sound, it's not a class leader in any category, yet it somehow manages to be greater than the sum of it's parts. Once you're playing it at least, there not much to find offensive. I mean that as both a compliment to Simbin, as well as a slight to several other sims on the market.

TJP

Some solid feedback on RRE ;)

As RRE remains a WIP, the UI is a mess that'll be fixed. As for the disappearing sims from Steam, Sector 3 posted the following on FB:

We have been made aware that our library of games are currently not available on steam. We are working with our publisher RaceRoom Entertainment AG to get them back on the steam store asap!

Games are still available and fully working if you already have them in your games library.

We will keep you posted on any updates.

Info on isiMotor 2 from Reiza Studios:

Hi guys, Renato there. Thank you for your feedback. This is something I commented on bsimracing just now, which might be relevant here on the subject of game engines - I indeed dont think ISI considers rF2 ready for licensing yet, and in any case we would rather continue working on developing our own tangent to rF1 (which is what GSCEx is - it has not been plain rF1 for some time and future updates will bring in further substantial developments).

It´s a common misconception that the engine is "outdated" - it is old alright, but that in itself does not make it inferior to a modern engine - only the graphics engine most definetly is outdated technology, the UI and some specific elements like compatibility with modern hardware etc. The other major components of the engine however are either more advanced, or work as well (and in many cases better) as the ones in newer sims - physics, AI, multiplayer. The sound engine misses some features but it´s hardly a generation apart from the best one out there.

In the case of physics, the engine is plenty advanced and still superior to most - only 2 or 3 of the new sims have more advanced physics or in particular tyre models (rF2 being one of them), and even in those cases it´s very debatable whether their extra complexity nets a better result. Think of 2 race cars: one is very advanced, has major downforce and horsepower figures, but it´s extremely sensitive, peaky and hard to set up - the other is simpler, has less powerful but more driveable engine, and a perfectly shaped aero map making it work in pretty much every circunstance with relative ease. The figures say one is better than the other, but the result sheet might tell a different story. The analogy applies to simulation engines - it´s about being closer to real life, which sometimes might be less achievable with more complex stuff like physical tyre models, which are not necessarily flawless and don´t offer the flexibility of a Pacejka tyre model. The proof is in the pudding :)

Taken from: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...-renato-simioni-interview.99552/#post-1916289

I did! I became increasingly frustrated with the FFB as I went on however. I'm just using default settings so I'm sure that can be improved. Great choice of combo - fun car, fun track!

Yeah, I haven't really spent much time with the ffb settings either. I picked up 900/60/100/100/0/0 for my wheel config, and may have tweaked a few things based on this RD thread. Nothing too far of the defaults however.

The front end needs some work though. It's pretty dead.

Sector 3 posted the following on FB:

Eww, that sounds rather messy. Extremely messy actually.

Info on isiMotor 2 from Reiza Studios:

It's hard to blame them really. They're adding in a bunch of the similar tire tech, and graphically isiMotor 2.5 often looks worse to me, or at least not hugely better. Where's the incentive?

TJP

Eww, that sounds rather messy. Extremely messy actually.
Hehe, I do love an internet drama. It is all going to be resolved without too much fuss from what I can gather - time will tell the tale ;)

It's hard to blame them really. They're adding in a bunch of the similar tire tech, and graphically isiMotor 2.5 often looks worse to me, or at least not hugely better. Where's the incentive?
There is no incentive if one cannot licence the isiMotor 2.5 from ISI :( It certainly appears both Reiza and Sector 3 are happy to use isiMotor 2 as the basis of their respective sims. Reiza need to follow Sector 3 and make their own graphics engine if they cannot (or don't want to) use the latest version of the isiMotor software as GSC-E sublime everything except graphics.

Hehe, I do love an internet drama. It is all going to be resolved without too much fuss from what I can gather - time will tell the tale ;)

I certainly hope so, but who has their game pulled from "store shelves" by their publisher? That does not seem like a healthy relationship.

And video.

Faster than Jeff Gordon. :p

Ha! and more importantly, me! I plan on rectifying that tonight. Hopefully I can dust off our friend too while I'm at it.

Nice lap Seanspeed!

zombiejeffgordon.gif

Zombie Jeff Gordon is not amused

All right guys, i´m re-downloading RaceRoom and i´ll try to run some laps.

I love that there´s a GAF group now. Having nice people to play is definitely what i needed to get back into the thick of things.

I just hope i can somehow play before i update my old notebook to a new rig. I can´t even run Assetto Corsa in decent FPS :(

TJP

Looks like a new WRC game will be announced tomorrow. This time by Kylotonn Games rather than Milestone.

Their track record isn't that great so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

http://www.virtualr.net/new-wrc-title-announced-tomorrow
You are spot on, sadly. Look at the video links below of prior Kylotonn Games releases. Suffice to say neither game is inspiring confidence. That said, Kylotonn may do the unthinkable and create a worthy WRC game...we'll just have to wait a little longer to see what the WRC game is like.

Motorcycle Club - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVIWvsP0mK4

Truck Racer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJQ4MTlR5e4

Here is what Milestone are doing: http://milestone.it/milestone-announces-sebastian-loeb-rally-evo/?lang=en From the press release, Milestone have forsaken the PC and will be releasing on the PS4 and XBone release only :( No way I'm buying a console to play this when RBR+mods are still readily available.

ijlCY29NccXu8.jpg

(excuse the blur, I use insert for my afterburner screen capture which also changes the view hence the blur)

Just pipped Betta Lines :p.

There is probably another 1/4s in there in the last sector but I panicked because I was up 1.1s after the first 2 sectors and started getting the nervous shakes so my last sector was scrappy, fortunately I didn't bin it like I did on numerous other flying laps in the same situation.

Took longer than I expected to hook up a lap, I didn't realise it was the same track as Grid Autosport (Algarve) so thankfully didn't need to learn the layout but damn some of those corners are evil. Turn 5 (turn 4 on the GP track but called turn 5) has a bump right as your about the nail the apex which completely throws the back-end out if you are on the throttle and then Turn 9 looks like you can just floor it through but there is so much camber it just sucks you straight into it and unweights the rear end again. Then on the final corner it has a bump just as you are going over the crest which just throws you out wide if you are on the throttle and you have to back out the power or fly off onto the runoff.

I'll just let you guys know I'm using a controller just to give you a bit more incentive to beat my time! I was using stock settings as I don't know the first thing about car setups never have, never will, that's a mechanics job so there is probably a fair bit of time to gain there.

Welcome, stranger.

Nice lap! I'll add you to the top of the board. I'm about to try my hand again so I can get my butt off the bottom of the barrel. If I can't beat your time, I'm calling F1 2014 gamepad wallhax on you! Kidding :p It's actually good to know that a controller seems to work so well.

Top Bottom