• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Thanks for the tip - bought! :)

I missed the apex a tad at turn 13 (does it have a name?), but not sure if I really lost time there - I was probably able to get on the power earlier due to the wider line so it might cancel out the difference.

Yeah, I feel the sim biases a bit towards getting on the power sooner (rather than the perfect geometrical line). It was the same for turn 4 where I kept widening the entrance, and widening the entrance, always picking up more time. I tried diamonding the hairpin too, but that went beyond the limit.

I was happy to see Chris Harris drop 45 minutes of tire burning at Portimao in my Youtube feed today. Can't wait to check it out later.

Lach

Took my New Ferrari F1 Wheel for my T500 for a little spin. First some laps in iRacing and then in Project Cars.

The Wheel itself looked a bit cheaper than I expected, especially the (non functioning) dials. The Buttons have cheap stickers on them some of which are not well aligned at all.

But to drive, I like it a lot better than the GT wheel. Gives you a better grip, you have the buttons in reach of your thumb and there are shifters on the wheel itself. I might need to get myself some gloves, as you start notice the sweat on the wheel after some time...

I imagine one of the big differences in feel comes from the reduced inertia, being lighter and smaller, giving you (and the motor) less to do. I'm sure it helps a lot in the sharper, faster cars, but I don't tend to drive them very often. The fake switches are what put me off buying one. Those modded rims are awesome, but I couldn't justify such an expense!

DD

Ha! Oh come on, Double D! I'm sure you didn't do that bad!

Like the unibrowed samurai once said; I know nothing about how to get better than others. I only know to beat myself.

Start with beating your own time, no matter how bad it is.
Portimão is a very technical track. It's a fantastic circuit, but maybe I'm just bad, haha. When I try to push the throttle, the rear goes everywhere. Maybe because of my poor old Momo Racing Wheel, I dunno. But I'll see if I try again. I'm still excited with my new PS4, so I'm not giving a lot of chances for my PC. :p

Not sure the formula truck could be described as 'less brutal'... but you should still try it DD!
But I'm just a little girl! I'm so scared... ;(

I'm not a girl :p

RaceRoom is back on Steam proper.

Portimão is a very technical track. It's a fantastic circuit, but maybe I'm just bad, haha. When I try to push the throttle, the rear goes everywhere. Maybe because of my poor old Momo Racing Wheel, I dunno. But I'll see if I try again. I'm still excited with my new PS4, so I'm not giving a lot of chances for my PC. :p

The RaceRoom TT locked out the driving aids (or so was said? Dunno), but I think that's going to be the exception. I'm not going to force people to run without them if they really need them. You'll be able to use them for Formula Truck, and that should help keep the scaries away :)

Megasoum

Banned
So I gave pCARS another try last night since they added the Thrustmaster TX profile earlier this week. I only had very limited time but I liked what I saw.

The profile works flawlessly with the default rim. I was able to pause the game, navigate the menus, change cameras effortlessly just like if I was playing on console.

Once on the track it was a bit less perfect but still miles ahead of what it used to be.

I did a couple of laps on Sakitto with the Caterham Superlight 500. The FFB was great (not AC great but still very good). I had a bit of a wobble when driving on straight lines but I imagine this can be fixed with a bit of deadzone.

Then I tried the Formula A on Spa. Same issue I had the last time I played, the wheel is sssuuuuppppeerrrr sensitive when going fast... like I only have to turn it 4-5 degrees to almost loose it. Again, I imagine this can be tweaked with a speed sensitivity setting.

I'll have to play around the settings next time I have a bit of free time but what I saw yesterday was very promising.

I have to say, I'm really really hyped for the game now. I can't wait to play through a proper season. This is something that is missing from almost every sim on the market right now.

Shaneus loves this thing.

99xcu82.gif

I may even have an alternate angle gif around here somewhere that I've kept in my back pocket for a rainy day.

TJP

@ Big Takeover - Your F-Truck gif is the best gif on NeoGAF
as voted by me

rFactor 2 update:

rFactor 2 Skip Barber F2000 V1.54 available: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5wrbw2lwfp2xw59/ISI_SkipBarber_2013-v154.rfcmp and http://rfactor.net/web/2015/01/29/skip-barber-formula-2000/

Changelog V1.54:

• Revised tyres
  • Moved to ultra chassis (with flex)
  • Updated to ModelWheelsIncludeAllTireMass=1 fix
  • Bump-stop fix
  • Tweaked under tray locations
  • Minor AI correlation tweaks
  • Updated shaders
  • Updated textures
  • Updated liveries
  • Helmet no longer goes through cockpit
  • New car icons
  • Added rim blur
  • New tire textures
  • New tire damage textures
  • Moved to new steering system
  • Added descriptions and new variables

^^ Oh wow, I'm going to jump into that right now.

Thanks, T! :)

Holy crap this thing is good. It's cool having the cut-slick tired one too. It's a lot faster and less slippery as you'd expect. Wait, the two tire choices have always been there, haven't they? Durrr?

Great sim car! I mean really great. It looks much better now too.

So I gave pCARS another try last night since they added the Thrustmaster TX profile earlier this week. I only had very limited time but I liked what I saw.

The profile works flawlessly with the default rim. I was able to pause the game, navigate the menus, change cameras effortlessly just like if I was playing on console.

Once on the track it was a bit less perfect but still miles ahead of what it used to be.

I did a couple of laps on Sakitto with the Caterham Superlight 500. The FFB was great (not AC great but still very good). I had a bit of a wobble when driving on straight lines but I imagine this can be fixed with a bit of deadzone.

Then I tried the Formula A on Spa. Same issue I had the last time I played, the wheel is sssuuuuppppeerrrr sensitive when going fast... like I only have to turn it 4-5 degrees to almost loose it. Again, I imagine this can be tweaked with a speed sensitivity setting.

I'll have to play around the settings next time I have a bit of free time but what I saw yesterday was very promising.

I have to say, I'm really really hyped for the game now. I can't wait to play through a proper season. This is something that is missing from almost every sim on the market right now.

Yeah, I think it's coming along very nicely. The cars that are dialed in right now like the Atom are really good fun to drive. I posted some ffb settings on the last page that you should try out.

I need to ask Markao, or one of the guys that follow it closely where we're at with the AI. Maybe there are some tracks with more finished pathfinding than the ones I've been playing, but that's got me more nervous than anything.

It's true, I do love it.

After playing a few hours of this earlier I have nothing but the utmost respect for real life truck racers.

I thought going into this it would be a walk in the park but this game crushes you if you try to push those machines too much.

It's an awesome game though

markao

Yeah, I think it's coming along very nicely. The cars that are dialed in right now like the Atom are really good fun to drive. I posted some ffb settings on the last page that you should try out.

I need to ask Markao, or one of the guys that follow it closely where we're at with the AI. Maybe there are some tracks with more finished pathfinding than the ones I've been playing, but that's got me more nervous than anything.
AI is done series by series and track by track, so don't know which you have driven, but general feel that's the best (or at least up there) out there right now (previous it would be other SimBin titles for me). It has it's little quirks like most AI, but they are dynamic and respectful enough to have some great racing (use 80/85% strength as starting point)

Done are the GT/LMP cars (most tracks), most formula/cart/road still need "Doug time", here was a video posted yesterday by Ronny, great choice of music and hat wear;) , that show of the GT AI. and one with commentary on the LMP2 AI/race:

LAP Race RUF GT3.Weather transition. Motion Sim

LM2 P15 Lap Race @ Watkins Glen [60FPS]

AI is done series by series and track by track, so don't know which you have driven, but general feel that's the best (or at least up there) out there right now (previous it would be other SimBin titles for me). It has it's little quirks like most AI, but they are dynamic and respectful enough to have some great racing (use 80/85% strength as starting point)

Done are the GT/LMP cars (most tracks), most formula/cart/road still need "Doug time", here was a video posted yesterday by Ronny, great choice of music and hat wear;) , that show of the GT AI. and one with commentary on the LMP2 AI/race:

LAP Race RUF GT3.Weather transition. Motion Sim

LM2 P15 Lap Race @ Watkins Glen [60FPS]

Great info, thanks!

I'll try the combos from those videos tonight. They seem a lot further along than what I had been trying. I think I ran them at 100% too which didn't do my impressions any favors either. They were completely crazed! Just wild men!

No way! That's not a half bad time at all. Thanks for posting it. Hopefully it'll encourage others to have a go.

1. 1:38.027 - Betta Lines
2. 1:38.128 - Big Takeover
3. 1:39.073 - Furnace Inferno
4. 1:39.450 - Seanspeed
5. 1:43.438 - DD
etc.

--------------------

Reiza has updated their Facebook page with instructions on how to get your Steam key for Formula Truck. It's not yet live on Steam, but I'm guessing that it go up today at some point.

Here's the page to get your Steam key:

http://www.gameformulatruck.com/en/steam.php

DD

"No way! That's not a half bad time at all. Thanks for posting it. Hopefully it'll encourage others to have a go."

*5 seconds slower*

ix0AMhsr4tRt7.gif

Watevaman

Don't worry DD, I'm in your region too. Still don't know how the other pad user got under 1:40 unless he changed some controller settings. I can't get a straight line around those hill turns and the notchy steering that comes with the pad makes it hard for me to get a line while braking.

Risgroo

I'd love to join you guys, but I don't have access to my wheel very often :(
I think I can play from around feb 13-19 though, so a pCARS or Assetto Corsa challenge would be nice!

DD

I'm on 1:42.708 now. It's an improvement. :p

Don't worry DD, I'm in your region too. Still don't know how the other pad user got under 1:40 unless he changed some controller settings. I can't get a straight line around those hill turns and the notchy steering that comes with the pad makes it hard for me to get a line while braking.
I noticed that most of the times I press the throttle, it goes up to something like 90% of the power. If I press it harder, it goes to 100%, but the brake pedal goes to something like 5%. Weird.

So I'm thinking about trying with my X360 pad to see what I can get with it.

When I try to push the throttle, the rear goes everywhere. Maybe because of my poor old Momo Racing Wheel, I dunno.
I had one of those. The throttle pot started playing up a bit, and even when it was working properly there was very little sense of progression. The wheel was ok, but I'm sure the pedals aren't helping matters. If you go into advanced settings in R3E, have a look at your throttle readout - see how little amount of throttle movement registers a bunch of input. You may want to turn down throttle sensitivity (assuming you're on the default 50%), so that it reacts less at the lower end. Plus you could add a bit of deadzone if the bottom bit of your travel is all over the place.

[edit] oh I just saw your post... yeah it sounds like the pots have gone.

DD

Hmm, I shaved another half second with a X360 pad. Now I'm on 1:42:191.

I had one of those. The throttle pot started playing up a bit, and even when it was working properly there was very little sense of progression. The wheel was ok, but I'm sure the pedals aren't helping matters. If you go into advanced settings in R3E, have a look at your throttle readout - see how little amount of throttle movement registers a bunch of input. You may want to turn down throttle sensitivity (assuming you're on the default 50%), so that it reacts less at the lower end. Plus you could add a bit of deadzone if the bottom bit of your travel is all over the place.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did, except for the dead zone, which I didn't messed with because I thought that it would add a dead zone just at the beginning, not at the end of the course of the throttle. Thanks for the hint. I'll try that.

[edit] oh I just saw your post... yeah it sounds like the pots have gone.
Is it bad? D:

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, except for the dead zone, which I didn't messed with because I thought that it would add a dead zone just at the beginning, not at the end of the course of the throttle. Thanks for the hint. I'll try that.
Indeed, the deadzone isn't going to help if your pedal maxes out at 90% - it'll only help in case the throttle is doing mad stuff at the beginning of travel. There might be some other software adjustment that reduces the 'range', so that it sees 90% as 100%... not sure.

Is it bad? D:
Sometimes it can be a loose connection on the two wires that connect to the pot (quite an easy fix), or the pot itself can be dirty and can be cleaned (more difficult), or it might just be worn out (in which case they need replacing).

Seanspeed

Banned
I just spent about an hour and a half on the challenge and man, I really cant get a handle on this car at low speed AT ALL. Those two left hand hairpins? I just cant drive them like I want to. There's nothign particularly complicated about them. I just cant get the car to get around them properly. I know exactly what I want to do but I dont have the feel to actually get the car to do it. And I dont know how you guys brake so much later than I do. Its a good 15-20m in some cases. I think I've just gotta resign myself that sim racing is just not something I'm ever going to be really good at.

Anyways, all that work and all I could manage was shaving two tenths off. I could probably do a high 1:38 if I hooked up a lap, and I could almost definitely do a mid 1:38 or better if I could manage to navigate the slow corners properly, but I dont think its in my capability.

Also, looking at the time board, Furnace Inferno is down to a 1:38.923. But he was banned for something...

And I dont know how you guys brake so much later than I do. Its a good 15-20m in some cases.
The car can take pretty much instantaneous max braking without losing stability or locking up. As it slows, it also seems to be able to take a lot of pressure before locking - I only feel the need to trail off right near the end. So as long as you're in a straight line, you can be very aggressive with the brakes, only becoming remotely sensitive as you turn in. Banging down the gears very aggressively helps a bit too.

Seanspeed

Banned
The car can take pretty much instantaneous max braking without losing stability or locking up. As it slows, it also seems to be able to take a lot of pressure before locking - I only feel the need to trail off right near the end. So as long as you're in a straight line, you can be very aggressive with the brakes, only becoming remotely sensitive as you turn in. Banging down the gears very aggressively helps a bit too.
I can put my foot to the floor as much as anybody but I think its that last phase, coming off the brakes and initiating the turn-in while keeping the car stable enough, that I'm struggling to get a feel for.

The main pCARS thread is just people who already play it, and the other threads seem to be about graphics, so I'll just post this here. :p

Empty Box, talk and drive, pCARS, current build, V8 Vantage GT4 @ Zolder.

For the few folks here who aren't already in, and are wondering how the game drives/races, that's a good video for you. I think it's a pretty fair assessment. Personally, I think pCARS is a clear cut above RaceRoom from a physics and ffb point of view, but the comparison is an obvious one, all things considered.

Drove some laps this morning using a 360 controller. Probably drove a few more than I should have since I can barely move my right hand now. Good fun, though I guess someone has to be at the back of the pack :)

Probably can break into the mid 1:43's, might try again later.

I can put my foot to the floor as much as anybody but I think its that last phase, coming off the brakes and initiating the turn-in while keeping the car stable enough, that I'm struggling to get a feel for.

What's the car doing that's making it difficult for you turning into those hairpins? Understeer? Oversteer? Give us the end result, and let's work backwards.

The Formula Truck Hotlap Competition is going to be the "Mannheim-Baden" (Mercedes Benz) at Taruma. I'll do a proper post tomorrow with my starter time, video, and rules.

Gmotor2 sims can be a little finicky setting up, so if anyone needs help just shout.

Are there any Formula Truck 2013 plugins to show split-times?

Anyway, I've done 7 laps so far and my best was:

1:20:728

However, these are my first 7 laps with this sim* and only my 3rd lap without crashing/spinning, so I expect that lap time to come down. Hopefully I've got more free time for this round of time trials... but it's going to take some time to wrap my head around driving these monsters.

fC5rPIE.gif

As for the rules, I took a guess and went for...

-default setup
-no aids (apart from auto clutch)
-no fuel usage or tyre wear
-I can't seem to find any time of day/ambient temp settings, so if they do exist, they were default too

*Not 100% true, I did one race about a 18 months ago and deleted the game (sorry BT)

After a total of 18 laps:

1:20:009

That's my gaming window over for this week though. T'was fun. I'll probably get another hour of driving in on Sunday or next Tuesday.

Ha! You're the last guy I expected to see!

My hat's off to you for giving it a second chance. I'll certainly admit that it can be a rather painful initiation. There's a lot of mental recalibration that needs to take place before you can even complete a single clean lap. Braking distances? Cornering speeds? Just leave all previous knowledge at the door before stepping into one of these. Running behind AI can help speed the process up a bit.

I find them really rewarding once you've broken through however. Simply because you've had to work harder at it than you've likely had to do in any sim car for years. To me, that's very appealing.

Those default rules seem good. That's what we'll run with. I don't like particularly like getting setups too involved because it becomes more of a timesink than what I think people are looking for. That said, the trucks really benefit from changes. It's up to you guys what you think is best. Increasing the steering ratio is a must-have however. I think I run like 28 or 30.

I'll put your time at the top of the list in a new post.

Top Bottom