• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Are you driving it sideways through turn 3? How much fun is that? And to get it back in line for the following brake zone. That's good stuff I tell ya. It's probably not fast, but my childlike brain won't allow me do it any other way. It's the same corner as that spin gif, and thinking back on it, I imagine I was looking to go full-hero with an oppolock outside pass. Fail :)

Shaneus

I haven't been home since it hit Steam, but I hope to give it a run sometime in the near future. Has anyone had any issues transferring their license key to Steam? Is it lengthy (as in, should I do it at work to prepare for when I get home) or immediate?

I haven't been home since it hit Steam, but I hope to give it a run sometime in the near future. Has anyone had any issues transferring their license key to Steam? Is it lengthy (as in, should I do it at work to prepare for when I get home) or immediate?

Nope, super easy. Put your email in here, and get a key two seconds later.

NeoGAF Hotlap Challenge Event #2

Formula Truck, "Mannheim-Baden" (Mercedes Benz) at Taruma

truck2015dtulh.gif

1. 1:19.403 - Betta Lines (video)
2. 1:19.516 - Big Takeover (video)
3. 1:20:009 - marvelharvey
4. 1:21.487 - IceCreamKimi (picture)
etc

Rules (for now):

- Default everything
- Turn off tire wear and fuel usage
- If you need aids, run 'em. If not, don't

Jilt

Did a 1.40.392 on Portimao.
Still getting to know the track.
Is there anyway to turn off the Traction Controll? Think I can still manage a 1.39-ish if that is off and master the track.
(or is the Hotlap Challenge #1 closed??)

http://youtu.be/fnDWab4yDr4

I don't believe there's any way to mess with the aids, no.

You guys can continue to post times whenever you'd like. I think I'll just keep them open indefinitely. I'll do a Google spreadsheet of the various events and participants, and update them that way. I'll be sure to post it.

Good looking lap too!

It looks like the rF plugin rfDynHud works with GSC and presumably FTruck too. I'll try playing around with it later.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfdynhud-v1-3-compatible-com-stockcar-brasil.33169/
Thank you. This will certainly improve everyone's driving.

rFactor 2

Mountain Peak Speedway has been released & comes with seven track configurations - download here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Full story: http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-mountain-peak-speedway-released/
I need more free time!

Jilt

Did a 1.40.392 on Portimao.
Still getting to know the track.
Is there anyway to turn off the Traction Controll? Think I can still manage a 1.39-ish if that is off and master the track.
(or is the Hotlap Challenge #1 closed??)

http://youtu.be/fnDWab4yDr4

Okay, so found out how traction controll can be turned off, and found out I am a complete noob.... :p
Drove this lap above this post in amature....
SO, did it in get real, turned TC of in the car settings and went for it again.
Lovely how it handles.
Did 5 laps and turned in a 1.40.290.
1.39-ers coming my way, but my concentration levels are usualy not more than 45 seconds.... LOL.
Will try a new one an put the replay on YT.

Just did a 1:19.403 in the ol' truck. I realise now that I should've had ShadowPlay running while I did it, because the replays lose fidelity. Here's a quick vid but probably not useful. Didn't look like this when it was 'live'. Shows it as .400 too... it was definitely .403!

Nicely done.

I'd like my friends and family to start referring to me as "Diesel", so I better start looking for some more time! ;-)

and yeah, rFactor replays are rubbish. Although do I remember there being a line somewhere that ups the fidelity? No matter, ShadowPlay is the better option anyway.

Neat! Hasn't sparked any discussion however, which I guess is indicative of both the lack of interest in the title and the fact it is so far removed from anything else that the typical sim arguments don't apply! :)

People are probably Truck'd out from the Steam release posts.

If you don't mind a little critique, if you have any noob stuff, I think it may be better to promise it upfront, but deliver it at the end. In a recent study, exposure to six minutes of gmotor menus has proven harmful to lab rats.

Give 'em the good stuff first.

Megasoum

Banned
HOLY SHIT.... I just tried Project CARS again after they added the proper Thrustmaster TX profile this week (they had a Thrustmaster 458 profile the other week which was already good but now it's the real thing)..... OMG... It's almost perfect.

I really love what they did with Sakitto... It's soooooo fast now compared to the real circuit.

I was in the Formula A and I would break to take the second spoon curve and then I would be full throttle in 7th gear allllllll the way to the first turn. So that's a straight line, then 130r then another straight line with a long curve that leads to the start/finish (there's no chicane like on the real circuit). That's like 1/2 of the circuit in 7th gear hahaha.

I seriously can't wait for the final game now... I'm all over that career mode.

People are probably Truck'd out from the Steam release posts.

If you don't mind a little critique, if you have any noob stuff, I think it may be better to promise it upfront, but deliver it at the end. In a recent study, exposure to six minutes of gmotor menus has proven harmful to lab rats.

Give 'em the good stuff first.
Any constructive criticism most welcome. Are you suggesting I did the race first and how to set up the game after?

Any constructive criticism most welcome. Are you suggesting I did the race first and how to set up the game after?

I saw your video at VirtualR this morning. You have a good voice for this kind of thing and I liked the conversational tone of the video. The video as a whole was fine, but maybe in the future you could divide the presentation into three parts. Perhaps show some game-play at the start, sandwich some of the UI in the middle and finish with some more game-play. I think this way people can see some of the game first, then break it up by showing the underlying UI, then back to some game-play.

As for the FTruck hotlap challenge, here is my best effort using a 360 pad. No assists/aids were used apart from the unfortunate necessity of using an automatic gearbox. I can't comfortably do manual with a pad. If this disqualifies me from the timesheets let me know.

Anyway, my time was 1:21.780, a couple of seconds off the pace :/

Yes, but that's just a gut feeling from me. TotalBiscuit does the exact same thing, and nobody seems to mind... actually I don't think that's true. Either way, it's probably a minor thing. Like you rightly said, Truck has never garnered too much attention. I still think it's worth wondering if there was something you could have done differently.

You know I love your videos though. Personally, I'd like to see you expand the things that you do very well. Good driving+Good Knowledge+Good Opinion. I think there are guys with higher profile sim channels that can't offer nearly as much as you can.

As for the FTruck hotlap challenge, here is my best effort using a 360 pad. No assists/aids were used apart from the unfortunate necessity of using an automatic gearbox. I can't comfortably do manual with a pad. If this disqualifies me from the timesheets let me know.

Anyway, my time was 1:21.780, a couple of seconds off the pace :/]

Nicely done. How was driving with the pad? Doable?

No way, run the game however you want. There are too few people to hard-lock the assits etc. If someone is beating Betta using a whole host of assists then maybe I'll start barking, but until then just do what works best for yourself.

Thanks ICK and BT. My initial thought was to only talk about the quirks of the menus, then I thought eh, I'll add a token race to follow if anybody is still awake (particularly as the bit that a lot of people miss is the steering lock in the garage, so it would feel a bit incomplete loading a track just to show that setting without any gameplay).

Then when I watched it back I realised people might just want to see some footage, so I added that 'skip to race' annotation.

I'd not considered actually swapping the order of things, so that is something to think about for future videos.

Arucardo

HOLY SHIT.... I just tried Project CARS again after they added the proper Thrustmaster TX profile this week (they had a Thrustmaster 458 profile the other week which was already good but now it's the real thing)..... OMG... It's almost perfect.

I really love what they did with Sakitto... It's soooooo fast now compared to the real circuit.

I was in the Formula A and I would break to take the second spoon curve and then I would be full throttle in 7th gear allllllll the way to the first turn. So that's a straight line, then 130r then another straight line with a long curve that leads to the start/finish (there's no chicane like on the real circuit). That's like 1/2 of the circuit in 7th gear hahaha.

I seriously can't wait for the final game now... I'm all over that career mode.

Oh snap, thanks for posting this, been waiting forever for a proper TX profile. Now I gotta try this ASAP. Never managed to quite get the FFB right with the TX, had no trouble with the PWTS.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh snap, thanks for posting this, been waiting forever for a proper TX profile. Now I gotta try this ASAP. Never managed to quite get the FFB right with the TX, had no trouble with the PWTS.

Only thing I changed in the profile was "Tire Force" that I set to 150% in the FFB Calibration screen...

I think it might have been a bit too much (it was getting tough on my hands after 15min of racing lol) so I might bring that down a bit but still.... I'm sitting at work right now and all I want to do is go home and race lol.

Nicely done. How was driving with the pad? Doable?

It's actually very well implemented (can only speak for a 360 pad though). Without any assists the truck handles surprisingly well.

The only issue is that the built in 360 profile is mapped incorrectly but that is easy enough to fix. Then you just need to add some speed sensitivity otherwise the truck will be all over the place on the straights and a bit of deadzone for the steering axis. I also recommend reducing the steering axis sensitivity all the way down to 0%, that's what I set my time on.

All in all, I'm quite happy to use a pad for this and GSCE.

1:21.487

The absolute best I can do. I'm pretty happy with it actually, I don't think there were any places that I had any time in hand.

Reiza posted some new info about GSC:E on their Facebook/Steam page:

Metalmoro MR18 preview - coming up very soon now, both on Steam and current installs via GSC Sync!

For interested users, the system to retrieve a GSC Extreme Steam key will be live on www.game-stockcar.com.br by tuesday.

Tomorrow 09/02 will be the last day to buy GSC outside Steam and still be able to retrieve a Steam key. From 10/02 onwards, while it will remain available outside Steam, new purchases will not longer warrant a Steam key

A video of the new Metalmoro MR18 too:

http://youtu.be/9rRQvIIen3g

Megasoum

Banned
Not sure if I already asked this here but anybody have experience with doing triple monitor setup with 3 different screens?

What I mean is that I have, from left to right, a 1080p 24 inch tv, a 1080p 24 inch monitor and then a 1680X1050 20 inc monitor on the right...

I'm wondering if this could be usable for a triple screen?

I don't have much first hand experience with it, but I think it should be possible using some combination of custom resolutions and scaling/shifting. I don't know how much of the stuff is automagically handled however. I suspect much of it.

Have you tried using just the two 1080p screens yet? That should take all of two seconds to get right. Not ideal of course, but I bet you'd get used to the center divide pretty quickly.

Mr.Green

So it's time to upgrade my old Fanatec PWTS wheel and I have narrowed it down to those 2.

- Thrustmaster T300RS
- Fanatec CSW v2

Thoughts?

Megasoum

Banned
I don't have much first hand experience with it, but I think it should be possible using some combination of custom resolutions and scaling/shifting. I don't know how much of the stuff is automagically handled however. I suspect much of it.

Have you tried using just the two 1080p screens yet? That should take all of two seconds to get right. Not ideal of course, but I bet you'd get used to the center divide pretty quickly.

No haven'T tried but I would have to move all my monitors to do it and yeah I don't want to have to big split in the middle... Especially since the TV on the left has speakears on each side so it'S a huge bezel.

So it's time to upgrade my old Fanatec PWTS wheel and I have narrowed it down to those 2.

- Thrustmaster T300RS
- Fanatec CSW v2

Thoughts?

I went from a PWTS to a Thrustmaster TX (which is basically exactly a T300 but for the XB1 instead of PS4). I LOVE it. So much less finicky than the Fanatec stuff. All the advanced settings on the wheels itself with the Fanatec stuff sounds great on paper but after a while I realized that I was actualy wasting a ton of time with every new sim to try to find a good setting that worked fine. Instead with the TX I let the game devs find the good settings for me. It's basically plug and play.

I ended up keeping my CSP Pedals though cause they are great. I'm using a CPX adapter to use them with the wheel on console.

I bought the TH8A shifter a couple of weeks ago too and it's been a ton of fun.

The default TX rim is not amazing but it does the job and I'll probably buy the F1 rim at some point if I can find a good deal for it.

I ended up choosing the TX over the T300 cause there's no games on PS4 worth a steering wheel right now when there's 2 on XB1 (FM5 and Horizon 2) and FM6 is coming out later this year so well worth it. If Polyphony ends up releasing a new GT game in like 3-4 years (lol) then I'll try to find myself a T300 base somewhere and I'll be able to use all the rest of my stuff with it (rims, pedals, shifter, etc).

Mr.Green

Thanks for the info Megasoum!

I will primarily use it on PC but I'm tempted to get that adapter for games like ETS2 that don't support separate wheel and pedals.

I'm also a little tired of Fanatec's bs, not counting the outrageous shipping costs and the customs fees that adds to their Germaneering tax...

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks for the info Megasoum!

I will primarily use it on PC but I'm tempted to get that adapter for games like ETS2 that don't support separate wheel and pedals.

I'm also a little tired of Fanatec's bs, not counting the outrageous shipping costs and the customs fees that adds to their Germaneering tax...

Oh yeah... Haven't had any issues with my new stuff yet (knock on wood) but I'm so happy that, if that's ever the case, I will deal with a big American company instead of a couple of dudes in a shack somewhere in Germany.

The CPX is a great piece of hardware. The guy makes them all by hand and he's very active on his forums so if you have any questions or anything. I was impressed by the build quality too. It looks very pro. And again, it's part of the whole "no more hastle" philosophy I was talking about earlier. I leave my CSPs plugged in my wheel now no matter on what system I'm actually playing so I don't have to think about it.

The only thing that bugs me a bit hardware wise is that the TH8A uses a standard cheapo DIN connector to plug behind the wheel (if you're not using the standalone USB option) so it often gets knocked off when I setup or takedown the wheel from my desk. Not a big deal since it takes 2 sec to re-plug but a sturdier connecter would have been nice.

TJP

I'm unsure if we've already covered this - the Ferrari Virtual Academy simulator is no longer available to buy.

d11ind1656.jpg

For a short while, FVA was offline to existing customers however VirtualR have reported the FVA servers are back online. One cannot purchase FVA from Ferrari via their online store; I wonder how this affects the coffers at Kunos, as sale proceeds were going directly to them.

Download link: http://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/setup_1.4.exe (requires username and password to play)

Megasoum

Banned
I'm unsure if we've already covered this - the Ferrari Virtual Academy simulator is no longer available to buy.

d11ind1656.jpg

For a short while, FVA was offline to existing customers however VirtualR have reported the FVA servers are back online. One cannot purchase FVA from Ferrari via their online store; I wonder how this affects the coffers at Kunos, as sale proceeds were going directly to them.

Download link: http://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/setup_1.4.exe (requires username and password to play)

I doubt they were getting that many sales from that. Especially now that AC is out.

Ark

- Thrustmaster T300RS
- Fanatec CSW v2

Thoughts?

I can vouch for the CSW V2's. I absolutely love them. They're a dream to use.

Now if only I could afford to buy the Clubsport wheel base..

Weird, it comes up as 'Stock Car Extreme' in my Steam library. I'll need to add 'Game' to the title otherwise it'll be lost amongst the dozens of other PC games I own starting with S.

Mine is the same way. I hadn't noticed that, nor the name change on the store page either. Hmm.

Protip:

Right click title, set categories, add category, Racing Sims

I keep everything else loose, but I bunch the sims for easy finding.

Top Bottom