• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
rFactor 2 gameplay with the Eve Matra F1 V12 (mod by Klaasvh and Navigator).

This mod is a modification of ISI's EVE F1 car. It uses the EVE car shape but is powered by a Matra V12 engine instead of the Ford DFV V8 found in the normal EVE, making it sound impressive. The lap is at Bahrain circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX7fuQK34mw

The same sound that current F1...

It has shown as Stock Car Extreme since they first teased it:

http://www.virtualr.net/game-stock-car-extreme-coming-steam-soon

I guess they want to change the name, which is understandable... it has always sounded like a poor translation. :)

Ah yes. I'm getting a bit of deja vu. I'm sure we talked about it at the time.

It's no longer a bad translation name. Now it's just poorly descriptive, if not confusing, although the "stock car" moniker isn't their doing. They trolled their own game by adding Extreme.

I'd like to see them rebrand the whole thing.

I love Reiza's karts. They're the yang to the trucks yin. If you drove them back-to-back, it's possible to permanently lose the ability to drive a car. rF2's are very good as well, but they feel kind of digital on turn-in. I bet I can work that out of it though.

GT6's seem like the best they could do on their engine, and pCARS', in there current state at least, are dreadful. They have the handling of mini-cars. Not at all what you want.

Shaneus

Rental karts? That's the best sim idea ever, if only because it gives people a 100% relatable example to something accessible in real life.

Shame there's still no news on Kartsim :/ Was really looking forward to it, but with it being only the one guy working on it, it's sure to be a long ways off yet.

Megasoum

Banned
A very good article from the usually average IGN.

Perhaps the author could have expanded the question to ask why are there exclusivity deals at all. It is ironic that some of the developers asked about the EA+Porsche deal have exclusive manufacturer deals in their sims too ;)

As far as I'm aware, the reason that Forza 4 had Porsches is because Microsoft traded the Ferrari license they had at the time for the Porsche for a 1 DLC deal. NFS Shift got a Ferrari DLC on console around the same time.

Shaneus

As far as I'm aware, the reason that Forza 4 had Porsches is because Microsoft traded the Ferrari license they had at the time for the Porsche for a 1 DLC deal. NFS Shift got a Ferrari DLC on console around the same time.
There's no Ferrari exclusivity any more though, is there? DC seemed to have no problem with them. Can't believe Porsche are missing out on so much mindshare simply because of some stupid contract which must be worth dick compared to how much money they make, you know, selling cars.

Megasoum

Banned
There's no Ferrari exclusivity any more though, is there? DC seemed to have no problem with them. Can't believe Porsche are missing out on so much mindshare simply because of some stupid contract which must be worth dick compared to how much money they make, you know, selling cars.

Yeah the Ferrari exclusivity ran out.

They would already make a ton more money if they were selling licenses to all the games out there instead of just EA crap. Sure sounds like a perfect case of a bunch of old German dudes having no idea how big the game industry is and being completely oblivious to the opportunity they are missing.

TJP

There are all deals being done all the time, including car companies who now pay publishers to have their cars heavily featured within a game.

GSC:E is live!

Launch Trailer

RD Thread

Main changelog for v1.25:

Content

Cars:
Added Metalmoro MR18 Prototype series
Added GX390 rental karts to KARTS series
Tracks:
Added Johannesburg Historic
Added Ortona (4 layouts)
Updated Goiânia to post-2014 reform
Features & fixes:

Features & fixes:

Extensive audio revision from new onboard & trackside recordings bring updated sounds to all cars;
Tyre physics updates for all cars further improving lateral / longitudinal force combining;
LOD optimization to F-Vee, F-V12 & F-Retro in attempt to minimize stuttering, plus other LOD adjustments for all cars for consistency;
Adjusted terrain properties (road, curbs, grass & gravel);
The hard compound for the F-Extreme & F-Reiza now has its proper orange Pirelli sidewall label;
Corrected bug with corrupted textures in the F-Vee cockpit when running graphics detail lower than max;
Corrected bug with Spielberg & Buenos Aires corrupted textures when running graphics detail lower than max;
Fixed garage placements at Spielberg Historic;
Removed exit sausage curbs at Londrina & Cascavel as per their 2014 updates;
Texture updates for Santa Cruz do Sul;
Advertising adjustments in various tracks..

Known issues:

Several code-related issues reported from v1.21 are still present in this build, as the code is going through a rewrite which has not been completed in time for v1.25. For that reason v1.25 has the following known issues:
Bug in the scoring in championship mode for all series;
F-Extreme can occasionally disappear when hitting 8th gear in multiplayer;
F-Extreme & F-Reiza tyre restrictions are not applying in pitstops.

Among other minor issues which are known and will be addressed in the coming weeks, along with the adittion of other features previously expected for v1.25.

If someone were to search for GSC by typing 'game' followed by 'stock' in the Steam search, it stops suggesting anything. If you hit enter to actually display the full search, Stock Car Extreme comes up, but I imagine that isn't going to help their sales. Some people will start typing and assume it's not there when the suggestions disappear. Perhaps that can be adjusted with search optimisation though.

I guess they've decided the confusion is worth the name change, although as you say BT, it's an odd halfway solution and it could do with a full rebranding. Hopefully their next title will receive that treatment.

Yeah, I noticed the Steam search thing as well. Not sure what's that all about.

At least "GSC" was universally understood with simmers. "SC:E"? AH! Now I wish they had just left the "Game" on there! :)

TJP

In my games list, it's not under "Game" either, just "Stock Car Extreme". Wonder why they dropped the first bit?
I think it reads and sounds better - it's a simulation and not a 'game' (whatever the game connotation means to people). That said, I'd hope a better name would be suggested - something with V8 Touring Cars in the title ;)

I do hope this is a huge success for Reiza; I'm sure it's taken a shedload of work for such a small team to get their product coverted to Steam. I was reading a post from Jay Ekkel (of Sector3) on VirtualR who mentioned sales of GSC-E has been affected by content being ripped and converted to rFactor. I've never seen any of the GSC-E content for seperate download but it doesn't surprise me given how easy it appears to be to 'convert' isiMotor 2 content.

Can't. Stop. Doing. Metalmoro/Johannesburg. Combo.

Love it. It's got to be the next hotlap challenge.

The new cars and tracks are just wonderful. The rental karts are more fun than they have any right being. A+ on the new content. I'm really looking forward to the engine updates. Hopefully they'll come around soon.

TJP

Sector 3 Dev Stream - February 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdD2xfbnbLQ

Topics covered (edited from Big's extra info):

• WTCC 2014,
  • Cadillac CTS-V.R,
  • Sonoma Raceway,
  • Paul Ricard,
  • Macau,
  • Spa,
  • Shanghai,
  • Salzburg
  • New Transmission Model,
  • MP Dedicated Servers,
  • Custom Championships,
  • GTR2 Pack,
  • Hillclimb Pack.

I just typed out the same post :)

Don't forget these:

• Ricard, Macau, Spa, Shanghai, Salzburg
There's some really great stuff in the pipeline. Even though the video quality is kind of rubbish, I like this dev update video format. Hats off.

TJP

Stock Car Extreme SweetFX settings from Rieza: http://www.racedepartment.com/downl...ings-for-gsc-extreme-formula-truck-2013.3482/

Without:
GRAB_003.PNG

With SweetFX:

Betta's Stock Car Extreme Initial Setup+Race video:

(click)

Here's a couple of direct feed videos from RaceRoom's dev update video.

New transmission model
Custom championships

The new tranny model is of particular interest. I think the wobble probably needs a bit of toning down, but it's great that the physics and sound have been implemented. If Saladine still lurks this thread, this one's for you brother!

Very nice. Yeah that initial wobble from the gearchange seems a bit much, particularly near the end where it was still doing it at high speeds, but the effect over various bumps is great.

Was also expecting Adele's voice to come in during the second video... 'this is the end... hold your breath annd counnnt to ten...'

Spookie

Setting up SCE is a bloody nightmare, it's so fucking archaic especially after playing AC & Raceroom. Tried to play it today and found myself forcing AA due to how hideous it looked.

It'll tide me over till Project CARS is released or the new AC update comes out. I am craving a good career mode. As since moving out on my own there is literally no way I can afford to pay iRacing, I don't have the income. :(

Dave_6

Setting up SCE is a bloody nightmare, it's so fucking archaic especially after playing AC & Raceroom. Tried to play it today and found myself forcing AA due to how hideous it looked.

I remember when I tried the demo last year how many issues I had just trying to get on track.

TJP

There's fuck-all difference there. You'd be better off not using SFX at all and saving yourself the lag. I'd have thought colour desaturation would've been first on the list for improving how GSC looks. And maybe a TV filter for dat old-school broadcast effect.
Reiza do say the following in the link...

This is the SweetFX graphical plugin 1.4 packaged with some recommended settings from ourselves. It can be used with both GSC Extreme as well as Formula Truck 2013.

SweetFX comes with a performance hit (how much depends on the system) and might not work for everyone, so be advised. It will also overwrite default d3d9.dll.

Our settings are subtle, basically just adding a mild HDR effect, better contrast and color balance to the original graphics. Check comparisons below:

Up to the person - just putting it out there ;)

A new Hotlap Challenge for anyone who'd like to try their hand at very fun combo.

Stock Car Extreme, Metalmoro MR18 @ Johannesburg Historic

gscrcu46.gif

Stock Car Extreme, Metalmoro MR18 @ Johannesburg Historic

1. 1:13.619 - Betta Lines (video)
2. 1:13.906 - Tchetil (video)
3. 1.14.076 - marvelharvey (pic)
4. 1:14.093 - Big Takeover (video)
5. 1:14.398 - Arucardo (video)
6. 1:14.413 - Seanspeed (pic)
7. 1:15.151 - Atrophis (pic)
8. 1:15.487 - Dave_6
9. 1:16.191 - IceCreamKimi (pic)
10. 1:16.846 - TechnicMOC (pic)
11. 1:18.207 - Megasoum (pic)
etc

Rules:

- Default everything
- Turn off tire wear and fuel usage
- If you need aids, run 'em. If not, don't

Megasoum

Banned
I wish Reiza would sell their game on third party site and not just on Steam directly... Paying 35$ for that game is a bit hard to swallow.

Watevaman

I wish Reiza would sell their game on third party site and not just on Steam directly... Paying 35$ for that game is a bit hard to swallow.

Did you miss the past few years where they were selling it on their own site and where it started a lot cheaper and gradually increased in price with the increased amount of content it was getting?

Megasoum

Banned
Did you miss the past few years where they were selling it on their own site and where it started a lot cheaper and gradually increased in price with the increased amount of content it was getting?

Pretty much yes lol....

I bought the original 2012 version but haven't really touched it since.

Everyone has their own criteria as to what's important to them, but with the exception of iRacing, GSC would be my genie wish for one sim on the deserted island. It drives and races as good, if not better, than anything else on the market.

Megasoum

Banned
Everyone has their own criteria as to what's important to them, but with the exception of iRacing, GSC would be my genie wish for one sim on the deserted island. It drives and races as good, if not better, than anything else on the market.

Yeah I liked what I saw of 2012 back in the days but I've been obssessed with pCARS for the last 2 weeks or so so I dunno.

Yeah I liked what I saw of 2012 back in the days but I've been obssessed with pCARS for the last 2 weeks or so so I dunno.

I wouldn't say it's radically different than 2012, but I think you'd be surprised with how much it's grown since then. Lots and lots of tweaks and content. Everything is just better. It looks a fair share nicer now too, but it obviously can't compete with the modern sims on that front.

1:14.55x So far

Ooooo, baby. Snapping on my heels! I'm going to need to up my game. Too much crabbing in my lap.

---------

BTW, I setup up rfdynhud with GSC yesterday, and had it working well. No delta timing, but a much better color coded split timer. I wasn't too bad setting up, and I enjoyed it.. until it broke. You need to use Java 6 with it, and I had been until Java automatically updated itself to version 7. None of my uninstalling and reinstalling did anything. I just couldn't get it back. I might look into it some more later because it was very helpful when trying to set times. I may have run out of ideas on how to fix it however.

Awwww, yeah! Watch Betta's video for some setup tips.

I think I'll pick up Grow Home for myself today too. It looks like charming, relaxing fun.

Son of a...

Oh yeah, I see them. Hmmm. I haven't seen that before, no. I just used Shadow Mode for the first time myself with my hotlap video too. No problems.

I'm just happy that 2560x1080/60 is working for me right now. It seems to break after most ShadowPlay updates.

Top Bottom