• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Welp, time to buy SCE and Formula Truck me thinks...

1397076287504.gif

Megasoum

Banned
There's some kind of hole on the right side of the track right after turn 8 in Kyalami where if you exit the track there (for example spin in turn 8) you'll get stuck there and there's no way to get out... Really annoying.

Arucardo

I like this car and track combo much better than the raceroom one, fast tracks with lots of flowing corners are definitely my thing.

There's still much improvement to be made in my time too. Had to leave the house suddenly so that put a stop to it for today. Hoping to get in the 1:13.xxx range tomorrow :D

EDIT: After looking at Betta's lap I'm not so sure I can go under 1:13 anymore lol

Shaneus

I have a few days at home now, so I think I'll finally setup my wheel again and give this a crack. Were there any special settings in the Logitech profiler or GSC/FT itself to configure for the G27?

I have a few days at home now, so I think I'll finally setup my wheel again and give this a crack. Were there any special settings in the Logitech profiler or GSC/FT itself to configure for the G27?

You may, or may not have to remap a few things, but it's fairly straight forward. Ffb strength should stay in the negative range for Logi.

I like this car and track combo much better than the raceroom one, fast tracks with lots of flowing corners are definitely my thing.

There's still much improvement to be made in my time too. Had to leave the house suddenly so that put a stop to it for today. Hoping to get in the 1:13.xxx range tomorrow :D

EDIT: After looking at Betta's lap I'm not so sure I can go under 1:13 anymore lol
I'm sure there's a 1:13.xxx to be found. However, under 1:13 might be too much ;)

Arucardo

I'm sure there's a 1:13.xxx to be found. However, under 1:13 might be too much ;)
Haha, oops. Meant 1:14.

I'm going to always use the default setup in these hotlap challenges, but I figure gear ratios are fair game if the car in question runs out of gears on a straight.

This century's most important Sim News Story: rFactor2 has a new UI

Changelog:

FEATURES:
————-
– Added ability to have HDV variable SemiAutomatic be set to 2 (upshifts only) or 3 (downshift only), which is in addition to the pre-existing choices 0 (off) or 1 (upshifts & downshifts).
– Added text values gizmos for wins, starts, average finish, and accumulated points for RFM. Added ability to customize font colors for multiplayer game list. Added ability for gizmos to pass clicks on to gizmos behind them. (only applies to APP_TEXTVALUE_RUNPRACTICE, RUNQUALIFYING, & RUNRACE.
– Added new option to select stretch UI width.
– Implemented “Change Password” button and added option to login dialog.
– Enabled virtual vehicle selection (and propagation) in multiplayer.

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
————-
– Fix issue where clouds sometimes don’t show up in replays.
– Fixed a crash that could happen if the start light sequence on a track layout was particularly short.
– Fix broken multihead.
– Fixed issue where car class was reported incorrectly.
– Fixed Launcher crash when exiting Mod Manager.
– Added auto-focus to login dialog input.
– Fixed bug where checkbox settings in Launcher would show incorrect state on startup.
– Attempt to prevent physics thread lock up in cases where skin transfers get put into a bad state.
– Instead of relying on the background color to match the skin download state gizmo inactive state color, now hiding the gizmo in that case.
– Fixed multiplayer sort game list by series.
– Fixed bug where 1st line of credits is potentially a random font
– Fixed multiplayer game list gizmo text colors.
– Fixed gear graph in instances where there is a top/bottom letterbox effect on the options.
– Fixed monitor window FOV issues
– Code added to prevent infinite loops when an AIW has more grid positions than main path waypoints.
– Fixed issue where finish statuses were transmitted but immediately overwritten upon joining a race. This fixes the situation where a driver Esc’d out and therefore got a DNF, but then left and rejoined the server whereupon it was noticed that the DNF was cleared.
– Fixed possible crash that happens upon downloading and then installing components to join a multiplayer game.
– Fix for aspect ratio problems in monitor

GRAPHICS
————-
– Fade clouds in and out rather than popping.
– Fixed monitor window FOV issues

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
————-
– No longer shipping Max plugins for Max 8, 9, and 2009, support ends.
– Updated versions of Max plugins for Max 2010, 2011, and 2012 with standard mat converter.
– Toggling AI control will now also toggle player driven AI physics if “shift” is also pressed with AI control toggle key
– Updated MAS2 utility with potential fix for missing layouts/teams when creating virtual mods
– Updating SDK with latest content and same UI as the main game.

TIRES:
————
– Minor update to CPM invalidates previously-generated CPM data.
– Gas cavity volume is now affected by load (which essentially means air pressure/temperature change slightly when the tire load changes).
– Mass imbalance from flatspotting is now correctly modeled.
– Subsampling in brush model creates smoother response (this may slightly change the feeling and performance of tires, but note that it should be more accurate now).

UI / HUD / OPTIONS:
————-
– New UI with resolution 1920X1080.
– Removing hard-coded HUD elements shading and alpha.
– Added gizmo slider on realtime settings/display page to set engine vibration effect on cockpit.
– Download mode textbox gizmo now only displays name of mod file, not full path.

PLUGINS:
————
– Instead of on-path wetness and off-path wetness (neither of which were properly computed anyway), we now report minimum and maximum water depth along the main path to the plugin scoring interface.

Megasoum

Banned
About damn time....

Now they just need to put it on Steam so we don't have to jump through 50 hoops just to install the game...ugh

Dave_6

Finally got a chance to try out SCE late last night, and so far I REALLY like it. Took a little bit to get it set up (thanks to Betta for the video!) and I had an issue with the auto clutch (I'm using a DFGT) but I got that figured out. I tried out the stock car first then the MR18 and after about ~15 mins I had gotten better used to the physics and they feel great! The older F1 cars are crazy but so much fun, as are the 125 shifter karts :O

If I have time, I'm going to attempt the Hotlap challenge with the MR18 (another really fun car) tonight. I've yet to pull off a clean lap at that track except with the 80s turbo F1 car in which I got down to a 1:02.xx or so. Still haven't tried out Formula Truck yet so I need to do that too, lol.

Sorry for rambling on, but I also think it's time to ditch the DFGT and step up to something better. Not sure what to go with but it seems like one of the Thrustmaster wheels or a Fanatec is the way to go now. I'm using an old desk that is a hand me down from my dad so the edge that the wheel would clamp to is quite thick. Hopefully one of those wheels has a wide clamp like my DFGT has.

Megasoum

Banned
Finally got a chance to try out SCE late last night, and so far I REALLY like it. Took a little bit to get it set up (thanks to Betta for the video!) and I had an issue with the auto clutch (I'm using a DFGT) but I got that figured out. I tried out the stock car first then the MR18 and after about ~15 mins I had gotten better used to the physics and they feel great! The older F1 cars are crazy but so much fun, as are the 125 shifter karts :O

If I have time, I'm going to attempt the Hotlap challenge with the MR18 (another really fun car) tonight. I've yet to pull off a clean lap at that track except with the 80s turbo F1 car in which I got down to a 1:02.xx or so. Still haven't tried out Formula Truck yet so I need to do that too, lol.

Sorry for rambling on, but I also think it's time to ditch the DFGT and step up to something better. Not sure what to go with but it seems like one of the Thrustmaster wheels or a Fanatec is the way to go now. I'm using an old desk that is a hand me down from my dad so the edge that the wheel would clamp to is quite thick. Hopefully one of those wheels has a wide clamp like my DFGT has.

I played a fair bit of SCE for the hotlap challenge and I just can't get a clean lap in lol... Like maybe one ever 5 laps or so will be clean and still, the best I could do was 1:19something... Ugh.. It's a fun track tho, really fast. Reminds me a bit of Sakitto in pCARS.

Also go team Thrustmaster

TJP

Empty Box on Stock Car Extreme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68LhOEJdhU

The good :
-Great physics across the board with no "wtf this thing is junk" vehicles.
-Forgiving but difficult. My gut feeling : this is what a racing sim should drive like because this is how a car drives.
-Stock Cars are awesome.
-Fantastic circuits, most of which aren't the common "you've driven a billion laps here already" variety.
-Sounds.
-Car selection (see below though)
-Looks good (to me)
-AI on proper settings provides a challenging race which makes me push as hard as I would in an online race and doesn't suffer from the "go way slow in that corner" syndrome.
-Modability and tons of addon tracks available, several updated to a higher standard to bring them closer to Reiza's quality versus the standard rFactor conversion.
-Fantastic in the here and now.

The bad :
-No weather (though that is still somewhat of a luxury feature in sim racing, let alone a GOOD weather system)
-Visuals aren't for everyone
-No one outside South America has ever heard of Brazilian Stock Car racing...
-Car selection is too bias towards F1 style cars.
-Track selection doesn't really support F1 cars
-online is pretty much dead outside the club or league setting (though mind you, public servers are almost always messes anyways)
-AI like all AI is dumb on lap 1.
-No automatic steering rotation setting.
-Aging platform means it almost certainly has limited space for improvement though it doesn't necessarily need it right now.

Shaneus

Yeah, can't disagree with it. A plus side should also have been awesome support/updates from Reiza. That needs to be a bullet point.

Megasoum

Banned
One of the plus side for me is that, while it's not exactly a looker, it's so nice to have a game that you know you can reliably get stable 100+fps without having to fiddle around with the settings for 25min lol. Sometimes simplicity is great!

One of the plus side for me is that, while it's not exactly a looker, it's so nice to have a game that you know you can reliably get stable 100+fps without having to fiddle around with the settings for 25min lol. Sometimes simplicity is great!

It's true. I find hunting for fps a chore. Not that the upside of beautiful games isn't worth the effort, but there's nothing I enjoy more than maxxing the settings out, and never looking at them again.

---------

I think the best thing about GSC is the consistency. There's not a lot of dead weight in there. You can jump from car to car, and track to track, and just about all of it is dialed in and very enjoyable. There are too many wip sims right now, with too much inconsistency. That's just the state of the nation, and fair enough, but it's not particularly fun to sit through.

Dave_6

My first attempt at the hot lap with the MR18 netted me a 1:15.487. That was with around 15 laps or so; just can't put a whole 'clean' lap in yet. No assists.

Damn the MR18 is twitchy with a gamepad. If I'm lucky I'll only spin out four out of every five laps on the fast sweeping corners :)

I've gotten down into the 1:18's, maybe I can squeeze out a 1:16 somewhere. I'm slowly getting to grips with it. Will post a time soon.

Stock Car Extreme, Metalmoro MR18 @ Johannesburg Historic

1. 1:13.619 - Betta Lines (video)
2. 1:13.906 - Tchetil (video)
3. 1:14.093 - Big Takeover (video)
4. 1:14.398 - Arucardo (video)
5. 1:14.413 - Seanspeed (pic)
6. 1.14.6XX - marvelharvey
7. 1:15.487 - Dave_6
8. 1:16.191 - IceCreamKimi (pic)
9. 1:19something - Megasoum

etc

-----------

I'm going to use that reserved spot in post #2 to collect all the hotlap challenges for reference and revisiting. I'll start on it now.

EDIT: Done

If you see any f-ups on the leaderboards, let me know.

Don't do it! That mysterious :12 won't be all that mysterious. :p

Nice time there, Seanspeed. Half the gas, but half the tires as well. For the moment we'll call it a wash, but yeah, tick them off. How are you digging GSC?

I'm going to gets some laps in later. I'm tired of seeing this Betta guy at the top of all the boards. F that guy. :D

Arucardo

Don't do it! That mysterious :12 won't be all that mysterious. :p

Nice time there, Seanspeed. Half the gas, but half the tires as well. For the moment we'll call it a wash, but yeah, tick them off. How are you digging GSC?

I'm going to gets some laps in later. I'm tired of seeing this Betta guy at the top of all the boards. F that guy. :D

Well....I'm sorry to report this, but I just did a 1:14.398 :( (will upload the lap asap)

Man, there's no way I see myself going under 1:14 without setup changes but it's much more fun to keep it stock in these hotlap challenges in my opinion.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2dnkwFJU0&feature=youtu.be

Well....I'm sorry to report this, but I just did a 1:14.398 :( (will upload the lap asap)

Man, there's no way I see myself going under 1:14 without setup changes but it's much more fun to keep it stock in these hotlap challenges in my opinion.

Et tu, Brute? I'm not going to stand for this.

It's better without setups for these. It's not worth the engineering time for just a few hotlaps, and nobody's left thinking they've been out setup'd rather than outdriven. Maybe we'll do a open setup challenge at some point though.

That's the spirit!
gpler.gif

I love that little guy :)

Arucardo

Been a while since I used my TrackIR, but I lowered the fov a whole lot so I figured I'd need it, definitely helps.

It's better without setups for these. It's not worth the engineering time for just a few hotlaps, and nobody's left thinking they've been out setup'd rather than outdriven. Maybe we'll do a open setup challenge at some point though.
Definitely agree with you on this one.

Dave_6

I think I can pick up a little bit, but I don't see how I can pick up over a second and get into the middle 1:14s. Granted I don't have much time with this game yet but I feel like I'm pushing the car pretty good. Gives me something to shoot for though.

BTW, Formula Truck is a blast!

Seanspeed

Banned
Been a while since I played it. Lots of new stuff. So glad its on Steam now so I can stop forgetting about it. Cant believe how much support this game still gets. And all FREE, too. I'd have gladly thrown them some bucks for a lot of the new content they keep throwing in.

Also,

Shaneus

Fuck, I really need to set up my rig tonight, but I don't know if I could be arsed doing it after work :( Has anyone tried playing GSC with a (bahahahaha) controller?

1:14.093 (video)

Disappointed there wasn't a :13 in it for me tonight. I had the yips with turn #5. I couldn't find the middle point between overcooking and grandma. It's grandma on this lap.

I'll redeem myself tomorrow.

Fuck, I really need to set up my rig tonight, but I don't know if I could be arsed doing it after work :( Has anyone tried playing GSC with a (bahahahaha) controller?

Yeah and it plays pretty well with a 360 controller. You probably won't be challenging the wheel players for the hotlaps but it is an enjoyable experience.

By the way, does anyone know how to safety car in GSCE. Everytime one comes up I get yelled at for being ahead of the driver I'm supposed to follow even if I drop to the back of the field.

TJP

It's not console gaming... it's having a girlfriend! She already thinks I'm geeky enough having two pinnies in my tiny 1BR unit, a wheel would tip her over the edge ;)
Show her the GT Academy and tell her it could be you ;)

I've posted this at RaceDepartment under the GSC bug report thread but in the meantime I was wondering if any of you guys have had trouble with the safety car in GSCE.

I was driving Formula Reiza cars and a safety car was deployed and then this happened.

The safety car was intent on driving into the wall in the pitlane and even driving into it with my car it wouldn't deviate off it's course.

I repeated the race and drew out another safety car and it happened again. Haven't had time to check with other tracks and cars.

Top Bottom