• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

ValfarHL

I find the idea of polluting my realfeel'ish FFB with artificial slipping-vibration outright offensive!! ...but I totally use it :p ...just a tiny little bit, like a fingertip on my shoulder "easy! smooth is fast. Pianist not lumberjack".

I use 40 for curbs and 50 for road. Zero smoothing (AC has some weird damping already, really doesn't need it, unlike rF2 for example).

Minimum Force I have on... 5? Really, only 5? Seems low for my puny TX wheel. I think Reiza recommended 20 or so (I have it on 12-14 in AMS, 8-10 in rF2 iirc). This setting used to sound like bullshit to me, but it really helps to feel sudden changes better if there is a constant force, also probably more realistic to have a stiffer center feel.

Haha, many people are adamant about using kerb/road/slip. I drive like shit without some slip, so damn those people. :p

Too high min force will make you miss some (important) nuances, I think. Then there's the question of adjusting settings to what "feels" most realistic, or to what makes you drive faster.

I'm too damn OCD about this stuff, to the point I adjust more than I drive. :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
There is a group of modders for AC who's website I've been browsing called Sim Traxx. I'm looking through their modded tracks and all I can say is WOW!!!! Their tracks look beautiful(IMO)!!!! While other modders' tracks look OK, Sim Traxx' tracks look outstanding. I don't know how they've pulled it off, but they've managed to mimic that photorealistic "digitzed" look similar to Grand Prix Legends that I love so much, but with higher detail. Their version of Targa Florio looks absolutely stunning, I have to say Sim Traxx' tracks makes it really hard to wait til my new PC rig is built. I'm dying to drive their tracks in VR!

Screenshot_ferrari_312t_simtraxx_trieste_0.7_20-6-116-22-20-34.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_s1_simtraxx_sorica_0.75_25-7-116-19-33-40.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_s1_simtraxx_pikes_peak_0.86_25-7-116-19-28-37.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_hondarribia_0.8_11-5-116-23-6-41.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_puy_0.9_27-7-116-2-13-57.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_haguenau_0.9_21-4-117-2-44-18.jpg

Screenshot_lotus_exige_s_roadster_simtraxx_monte_erice_0.85_2-10-116-4-17-25.jpg

Screenshot_ast_spark_renault_srt01_e_hk_6-4-116-4-14-9.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_drazgose_0.7_2-8-116-1-22-20.jpg

Screenshot_rl_ford_fiesta_wrc_simtraxx_drazgose_0.7_2-8-116-1-31-4.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Finally. The version I played previously was so, so, so rough. Excited to give it a go later.

Yeah that old one was from Rainmaker, who stole the assets from Jim Pearson and converted it to AC without his permission. This version is totally different and is from Frank1463. Apparently it's much better. I want to see a video of this in action.

subwilde

Tried that new IOM map with a few different cars today. Unfortunately the car and camera shake constantly while driving so my wheel was going crazy. I turned the FFB clip settings to super light just to be able to drive. I guess it has something to do with modded maps being so big?

Either way the map was gorgeous and there is a huge sense of speed. Some minor kinks to work out but man is it a blast. Can't wait to try it in VR next time.

I did a 20 lapper at Oulton with the Fiat Uno (3rd
HUGE
screenshot) tonight. Really, really fun. I was tempted to call it a shitbox, but it drove like a peach. The Beetle on the other hand, which is the other car currently in the beta, was such a peculiar thing. That'd be the shitbox.

TJP

Can't wait for Reiza to get their hands on a modern graphics engine.

AMS even without weather changes is a masterpiece regarding blending believable physics with realistic and communicative FFB.

Very few issues with the beta too (HUD being broken was a PITA).

ValfarHL

Can't wait for Reiza to get their hands on a modern graphics engine.

AMS even without weather changes is a masterpiece regarding blending believable physics with realistic and communicative FFB.

Very few issues with the beta too (HUD being broken was a PITA).

I tried it a bit a few months ago, but could get the FFB to feel anywhere close to good.

Do you have any tips for a noob with T300 Alcantera?

I tried it a bit a few months ago, but could get the FFB to feel anywhere close to good.

Do you have any tips for a noob with T300 Alcantera?
In my opinion AMS has the best FFB over the whole range of cars of any sim.

Try this:
In-game set the FFB to pure 360, FFB strength to ~88, minimum force to 14%(Reiza recemmended even more for weaker wheels like in a forum post).

Now make a backup of the ReelFeelPlugin.ini from the Steam Automobilista folder and edit the file:
- All the cars have too high smoothing, lower that! Some can feel good at zero, I don't think there is one that needs more than "2".
- change the MaxForceAtSteeringRack to values closer to zero,mit makes the FFB stronger and more pronounced. Average to add is about +15%, a few high downforce cars shouldn't be changed, but other cars feel good with even 30% higher values.

Try the Boxer with Smoothing=0 and MaxForceAtSteeringRack=2100. Check that head movement in the in-game camera settings isn't too high and try the car at Oulton Park.

Now, I know that it's stupid to not set the strength to 100, when you edit the Rack forces for each car later, I just wanted to show you exactly how the FFB is for me. If you're gong to edit the rackforce values for all the cars, it might be smart to change the in-game strength to 100 and minimum force to 11-12 again before doing that, you would end up with higher rack(lower ini-file ffb) values than me(the boxer might be 2300-2400 then.

AFTER that make a backup of your edited ReelFeelPlugin.ini !! Reiza overwrites and resets it with patches all the time.

TJP

is vr planned for ams ?
Reiza Studios made the promise to early backers of Automobilista that it would include VR support. No idea what's happened since then. Priorities I guess!

That said, LFS made VR work with their ancient graphics engine so it's possible to achieve without VR dev support.

Mascot

Ooh. Thanks.

I counted that I've got over sixty distinct track locations (and at least double the number of tracks with ribbon variations) in AC now. And those are just the ones I've kept after filtering out the dross. I really must experiment more and stop using Le Sarthe, RA, Donnington and Spa all the time, but those are just amazing with GT cars in VR. Actually, I was playing the Korean GP circuit yesterday and liked it a lot. Very solid mod.

Mascot

Been straying from my comfort blanket in AC this afternoon. That Italian fantasy track mod with the mauve kerbs is bloody brilliant with Miatas. It's like the red-headed offspring of some unholy knee-trembler between Forza and Gran Turismo. Bonkers, but fun.

Can't remember its name though. Anyone? It's got a huge timber slatted whale above the pitboxes and an origami control tower.

ValfarHL

hi guys

What settings for Pcars2 and T300RS ? much appreciated

75/100/100/0/0 in control panel
Use Jack Spade's standard mid files
100/50/50/50 in game

Should give you a pretty good baseline. Some cars/tracks needs more volume, but that can be changed via buttons on your wheel so it's no problem.

Link to Jack Spade files: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51628-Jack-Spade-Custom-FFB-Files

Remember to select custom settings in game.

Really fun game when it works, but changing/loading/saving setups is completely borked in career atm.. Some tyres won't even heat up while you drive.

Mascot

Very solid mod IMO.

I'm liking that R.S.01 a lot. It feels very well balanced straight out of the trap with no fettling at all. Ran some long races at Spielberg with it and had a blast. The only issue that jumped out in VR was the wing mirrors making every car behind look squashed - I constantly thought I was being chased down by Messerschmitts.

messerschmitt-tg500-.jpg

I'm liking that R.S.01 a lot. It feels very well balanced straight out of the trap with no fettling at all. Ran some long races at Spielberg with it and had a blast. The only issue that jumped out in VR was the wing mirrors making every car behind look squashed - I constantly thought I was being chased down by Messerschmitts.
... ...
untitled-19mu7q.jpg

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
75/100/100/0/0 in control panel
Use Jack Spade's standard mid files
100/50/50/50 in game

Should give you a pretty good baseline. Some cars/tracks needs more volume, but that can be changed via buttons on your wheel so it's no problem.

Link to Jack Spade files: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51628-Jack-Spade-Custom-FFB-Files

Remember to select custom settings in game.

Really fun game when it works, but changing/loading/saving setups is completely borked in career atm.. Some tyres won't even heat up while you drive.

Thanks man

TJP

I'm liking that R.S.01 a lot.I constantly thought I was being chased down by Messerschmitts.
I hope you said things like "take that, Fritz" as you passed the AI cars.

Apologies in advance to our German friends in this thread 😎

Wasn't the NSX mod inspired by Niels rFactor version? Yea, I thought that felt really right and it was my favorite mod car when I had Assetto Corsa new.

Also had a look at the mod files, they did some fairly complex stuff like ctrl*.ini's to define certain systems in a not standard way, annotations for progressive spring-rate and such things.

I have downloaded the new version, but not tried it. Haven't driven the old one for over a year maybe, a Kunos sound patch made the sound not work properly anymore and I was too lazy to fix it myself.

Mascot

Wasn't the NSX mod inspired by Niels rFactor version? Yea, I thought that felt really right and it was my favorite mod car when I had Assetto Corsa new.

Also had a look at the mod files, they did some fairly complex stuff like ctrl*.ini's to define certain systems in a not standard way, annotations for progressive spring-rate and such things.

I have downloaded the new version, but not tried it. Haven't driven the old one for over a year maybe, a Kunos sound patch made the sound not work properly anymore and I was too lazy to fix it myself.

Watch out if you use a full grid of them - there's no LoD staggering so your GPU might chug like a thirsty frat boy.

TJP

Watch out if you use a full grid of them - there's no LoD staggering so your GPU might chug like a thirsty frat boy.
An issue that is easily fixed so I'm not sure why they didn't.

Same for the rF2 version which can be a GPU killer.

Momentary

Banned
Man... whoever does the car modelling for PCARS 2 can not be touched. They model things that most people won't even see on the car. I do t think any other racing game even comes close.

Man... whoever does the car modelling for PCARS 2 can not be touched. They model things that most people won't even see on the car. I do t think any other racing game even comes close.

You mean it's better than iRacing, Gran Turismo and Forza? Try to sell it to these guys.

But I dunno, man. Example??
The Porsche 911 GT3 R is in Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Project CARS 2, soon in RaceRoom and to some degree it's in Automobilista too...

guess in which version these LEDs are without function:
porschelock-uplightsn0uxa.jpg

[and I'm saying that as someone who hasn't touched another racing game since pCARS2 release. If you don't pick the wrong car, it's extremely fun and feels great.]

TJP

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809355570

Details:
Graphics:
- Now Bmw M6 GT3 is on same pack as the other cars.
- Mod update to DX11 standards
- Fix all motecs.
- Improved shaders reflexions on body.
- Fix Flickering on Porsche 991 GT3-R Banner.
- Some textures improvement on all cars.

Sounds:
- New interior sound for Mercedes AMG GT3.

Physics:
- Tire model improved (Slicks and rain)
- Aero improvements on all cars
- New Default setup in all cars

Mascot

Does anyone else find racing in VR to be mentally exhausting? It's so fucking intense sometimes it wears me out. I'm not talking about eye strain or any physiological effects like motion sickness (neither of which affect me) or of muscle fatigue from physically operating a loaded FFB wheel and pedals, I'm talking about the mental and emotional exhaustion from being semi-convinced I'm in a real race with real cars on a real track against real opponents. It's nothing like the feeling of racing in 2D. I find the immersion in VR to be all-encompassing, and knackering!

Now this is a Very Good Thing from an experience perspective, but sometimes I've been looking forward all day to getting back from work and hopping into some VR racing, only to find I don't have the energy by time I get home so I might do some joypad couch gaming instead.

I love VR in sim racing, but it's a whole different beast to 2D racing. The investment needed isn't just on the monetary side. It needs mental and emotional investment too.

Mascot

Fucking hell, the MX5 Cups at Thruxton should be outlawed in Assetto Corsa. Mankind does not deserve to have this much fun.

TJP

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-v1-4-8-released.2618/

CONTENT
  • Added Brazilian Touring Car Classic series: Copa Classic, Copa Fusca, Copa Uno & Hot Cars (requires ownership of DLC or Season Pass)

UPDATES & FIXES
  • Fixed DynHUD on Win10 & re-enabled it by default as a config option
  • Fixed bug that could cause game to crash loading old setups with notes
  • Added support to latest Fanatec SDK
  • AI blue flag logic improved: AI cars now move offline to let leaders by, lift proportionally to the amount of throttle they should be doing,and to the speed difference relative to the car approaching
  • Increased rate AI assesses situations by 4x which should result in more appropriate behavior in several racing situations and less off-track excursions
  • Tweaked AI calculations when thinking about passing to reduce the swerving from one side of another car to the other (added AISuddenMoveScalar parameter to car physics, makes cars change lane, react to incidents more gradually)
  • Changed AI Start Behaviour to keep drivers running in a straight line from their grid slot more (added AIStartOffset and AIStartMerge values to car physics - these are how long to stay on the line and how long to merge in seconds)
  • Adjusted default talent values so that AI is better when there is no RCD file or values are missing
  • Rescaled AI aggression levels for latest code changes
  • Fixed possible crash with Season Tool
  • Added Season Tool option for double points in final race of the championship
  • Added regular silent messages by clients in multiplayer (as a possible fix for TCP connection lost issues with client inactivity)
  • Changed logic for "Finish Session" / "Skip Session" logic" - the first now accelerates time to finish the session with properly generated times from the AI, the second advances the session with the current standings (with player put in the back of the grid if not having set a time)
  • Adjusted tire smoke threshold so tires don´t generate smoke on smaller slides or in lock-ups of lightly loaded wheels
  • Added garage pitstop schedule menu to all cars when refuelling is allowed (hidden when it´s not)
  • Velopark: Fixed minor graphics glitches
  • F-Vintage: Fixed collision bug with wheels
  • Ultima GTR: Revised road car physics

What does everybody suggest for somebody whose looking for a sim lite experience. I have played Project cars 1, Forza 6 and Forza horizon 3.

I tried out the Forza 7 for PC, but the driving and AI were a bit of a put off.

I am looking at Project cars 2 or F1 2017. I am looking for something that more fun to play and has a good sense of speed, rather than being a 100% authentic experience.

Filben

I am looking at Project cars 2 or F1 2017. I am looking for something that more fun to play and has a good sense of speed, rather than being a 100% authentic experience.

F1 2017 is genuinely fun. Racing against the AI works pretty well (and they don't drive through your car like in PC2), two-wide in turns works well, AI battles against in each other (on some tracks more like Suzuka, on some it's more like a string of pearls (Hungary).

And you have a bit more gameplay mechanics than 'just driving'. You develop your car, you run practice programs to get familiar with the track and to earn ressource points you'll to upgrade components.

I had so many great race in my career, I was truly surprised.

Project Cars 2 offers a better bare 'driving experience' and looks way better. But it's just that... driving. Career mode is negligible but (organised) online racing could be a blast.

I think you should get PC2 if you want to get serious in (sim) racing. If you want more fun, go for F1.

Mascot

Thanks mate, I'll give that a go (only two hours left of the download, lol).

Edit: here's the much better RD link that doesn't take two hours to download or make you disable adblock, watch a video and enter a code. :p

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park-grand-prix-circuit-1938.17313/

Try not to snigger when Dick Seaman's name is mentioned

What i love about that Thruxton mod (apart from the excellent quality) is the high-speed flow, and the width. It reminds me of classic Silverstone in a lot of ways, another fave of mine. I was five abreast around some Thruxton bends yesterday, which is a great compliment to AC's AI as it continues to impress me. There's only one real pinch point (the chicane, natch) but the rest of the circuit is a nice wide playground with oodles of high-speed overtaking opportunities and flat-out turns. The MX5 Cup is simply perfect there. This track/car combo must be awesome against human opponents.

Keep meaning to ask you - do you have VR? If not, why not?

TJP

Edit: here's the much better RD link that doesn't take two hours to download or make you disable adblock, watch a video and enter a code. :p

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park-grand-prix-circuit-1938.17313/
Thanks for the alternative DL link. I found the mod on a FB page dedicated to AC car and track mods so I don't know why they didn't link to Race Department.

Keep meaning to ask you - do you have VR? If not, why not?
I don't have VR as a lot of my gaming time is taken up testing R3E (which is a lot of fun given the new content) & some of the content is without performance passes which stresses the GPU & CPU as it is.

I'd rather have the money for a new GPU & large monitor or a new wheel versus a VR headset. Perhaps one day but right now it's 2D for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom