• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Mascot

I don't have VR as a lot of my gaming time is taken up testing R3E (which is a lot of fun given the new content) & some of the content is without performance passes which stresses the GPU & CPU as it is.

I'd rather have the money for a new GPU & large monitor or a new wheel versus a VR headset. Perhaps one day but right now it's 2D for the foreseeable future.

Have you tried it anywhere?

TJP

Have you tried it anywhere?
Yes. A mate has a typical bachelor set-up of an i7-6900K and SLI'd 1080ti's with an Oculus Rift and a rather spiffy Asus g-sync monitor. Some time ago we tried Assetto Corsa, pCARS and rF2 using my Steam library (thank you Gaben for Steam game back-ups) & my wheel and pedals (thanks Wheel Stand Pro). pCARS and AC both looked sublime and ran really well; rF2 in contrast was a little all over the shop. FWIW, we never tested R3E. Also got to try Serious Sam VR which was a lot of fun.

My verdict - it's incredible! Problem is I have very little gaming time plus a mortgage and other priorities & he doesn't. To think I used to buy all the toys ;)

I'm stuck with a single ROG GTX 1070 and a 2 year old 4 core i5 CPU..it's a hard life in the PC master race stakes.

Really interested in MarvelHarvey's opinion.
I've only done six laps of Brands Indy, but so far:

The good

-The front end feels pretty close to what I remember.

The bad

-Throttle response is way too fast and engine too 'free'.
-The rear loses grip too easily, both through carrying too much speed into a corner and through throttle application.
-There should be more aero-stability at high speed and under braking.

The reasons why my opinions may not matter

-I've not driven an Ultima for 6-7 years.
-I only completed 6 flying laps.
-I have a terrible memory anyway
-This is a GTR and mine was a Sport. The cars share many characteristics, but they are/were sold as two distinct models.
-My Sport's tyres were basically short-life road-legal cut-slicks. I'm going to guess AMS's GTR's tyres are more traditional and this could be the reason for the lack of grip while testing out this new build.

Final thoughts

It's a lot better than it used to be, but there's still room for improvement.

I've only done six laps of Brands Indy, but so far:

The good

-The front end feels pretty close to what I remember.

The bad

-Throttle response is way too fast and engine too 'free'.
-The rear loses grip too easily, both through carrying too much speed into a corner and through throttle application.
-There should be more aero-stability at high speed and under braking.

The reasons why my opinions may not matter

-I've not driven an Ultima for 6-7 years.
-I only completed 6 flying laps.
-I have a terrible memory anyway
-This is a GTR and mine was a Sport. The cars share many characteristics, but they are/were sold as two distinct models.
-My Sport's tyres were basically short-life road-legal cut-slicks. I'm going to guess AMS's GTR's tyres are more traditional and this could be the reason for the lack of grip while testing out this new build.

Final thoughts

It's a lot better than it used to be, but there's still room for improvement.
Thanks a lot! I too feel that AMS's tire model reacts a bit harsh to sudden changes, but I love the game anyway. Wonder how many things about the AMS tires are by design and how many can't be helped because of the old rFactor engine.

----
The new cars in AMS are a lot of fun - low powered 80's cars are always welcome.
Agreed ...except for the Uno. Doesn't brake, spins the inside wheel a lot under acceleration even though the engine has no real power and off-throttle oversteer is off the charts.
The are really great though and believable too. I think I tried every version now for at least two quick laps. More games should have light weight 80's FWD cars.

TJP

Thanks a lot! I too feel that AMS's tire model reacts a bit harsh to sudden changes, but I love the game anyway. Wonder how many things about the AMS tires are by design and how many can't be helped because of the old rFactor engine.
Niels is an amazing physics developer and reading the feedback, I wonder does he have data from the manufacturer or feedback from an owner?

It may well be a limitation with the isimotor 2 tyre model which could be better with racing compounds than street tyres. I recall reading there are more than one 'version' of isimotor 2 as well (and I don't refer to 2.5 aka rF2). Who knows which version Reiza licenced as this could also affect the tyre modelling.

The new cars in AMS are a lot of fun - low powered 80's cars are always welcome.

F1 2017 is genuinely fun. Racing against the AI works pretty well (and they don't drive through your car like in PC2), two-wide in turns works well, AI battles against in each other (on some tracks more like Suzuka, on some it's more like a string of pearls (Hungary).

And you have a bit more gameplay mechanics than 'just driving'. You develop your car, you run practice programs to get familiar with the track and to earn ressource points you'll to upgrade components.

I had so many great race in my career, I was truly surprised.

Project Cars 2 offers a better bare 'driving experience' and looks way better. But it's just that... driving. Career mode is negligible but (organised) online racing could be a blast.

I think you should get PC2 if you want to get serious in (sim) racing. If you want more fun, go for F1.

You really sold me on both games. I still don't know which to get. And no demos to play. Hahah

Mascot

Yes. A mate has a typical bachelor set-up of an i7-6900K and SLI'd 1080ti's with an Oculus Rift and a rather spiffy Asus g-sync monitor. Some time ago we tried Assetto Corsa, pCARS and rF2 using my Steam library (thank you Gaben for Steam game back-ups) & my wheel and pedals (thanks Wheel Stand Pro). pCARS and AC both looked sublime and ran really well; rF2 in contrast was a little all over the shop. FWIW, we never tested R3E. Also got to try Serious Sam VR which was a lot of fun.

My verdict - it's incredible! Problem is I have very little gaming time plus a mortgage and other priorities & he doesn't. To think I used to buy all the toys ;)

I'm stuck with a single ROG GTX 1070 and a 2 year old 4 core i5 CPU..it's a hard life in the PC master race stakes.

Your specs are better than mine I think (also quad-core Skylake i5 - mine's a stock 6600k - and a 980Ti) which I've never felt have hindered my VR experience. In fact, it's pretty fucking awesome. Disclaimer: I'm happy enough having higher detail settings and ASW active at all times. I did manage to get a great deal on my Rift a few months ago due to a price glitch (with it costing me around £200 after selling the Touch controllers and extra sensor) but there's no way I could have tried sim racing in VR and not ended up owning one, even at full price. I'd have sold a kidney..! :p

Racing in VR still completely blows me away whenever I submerge myself in it. It's all-encompassing.

MimiMe

Does anyone else find racing in VR to be mentally exhausting? It's so fucking intense sometimes it wears me out. I'm not talking about eye strain or any physiological effects like motion sickness (neither of which affect me) or of muscle fatigue from physically operating a loaded FFB wheel and pedals, I'm talking about the mental and emotional exhaustion from being semi-convinced I'm in a real race with real cars on a real track against real opponents. It's nothing like the feeling of racing in 2D. I find the immersion in VR to be all-encompassing, and knackering!

Now this is a Very Good Thing from an experience perspective, but sometimes I've been looking forward all day to getting back from work and hopping into some VR racing, only to find I don't have the energy by time I get home so I might do some joypad couch gaming instead.

I love VR in sim racing, but it's a whole different beast to 2D racing. The investment needed isn't just on the monetary side. It needs mental and emotional investment too.

yeah!
I can only handle one evening session in iRacing. Either training or a race. Last week I did IMSA at Sebring - which was at night - and while it was mind blowing, I was totally exhausted afterwards.
Don't get me wrong, I did +12h straight in Elite Dangerous VR without issues - but I am so focused while racing that I am done after a session.

Since VR, I don't play racing games randomly anymore. I have sessions during the week in which I race, its reserved time like when I do sports. It's never on those days were I know to be longer at my customer, as I won't be able to do anything like VR racing inthe evening; while going for a 15k run would be no issue at all...
Somehow crazy but somehow a great thing.

Mascot

yeah!
I can only handle one evening session in iRacing. Either training or a race. Last week I did IMSA at Sebring - which was at night - and while it was mind blowing, I was totally exhausted afterwards.
Don't get me wrong, I did +12h straight in Elite Dangerous VR without issues - but I am so focused while racing that I am done after a session.

Since VR, I don't play racing games randomly anymore. I have sessions during the week in which I race, its reserved time like when I do sports. It's never on those days were I know to be longer at my customer, as I won't be able to do anything like VR racing inthe evening; while going for a 15k run would be no issue at all...
Somehow crazy but somehow a great thing.

Glad it's not just me then..!
I always sleep like a baby after racing in VR, and I don't always mean I wake up screaming in a pile of my own poo.

On another topic, Assetto Corsa looks a gazillion times better in VR after I disabled auto exposure in the default pp filter config. No more bleached track surface, no more washed-out environments. Hello contrast, hello vivid colours. Wish I'd known about this a few months ago. That and turning 'glare' up to ultra for better brake light visibility.

Darkdeus

Glad it's not just me then..!
I always sleep like a baby after racing in VR, and I don't always mean I wake up screaming in a pile of my own poo.

On another topic, Assetto Corsa looks a gazillion times better in VR after I disabled auto exposure in the default pp filter config. No more bleached track surface, no more washed-out environments. Hello contrast, hello vivid colours. Wish I'd known about this a few months ago. That and turning 'glare' up to ultra for better brake light visibility.

Have you tried this pp filter for the rift? I think it makes the game look a lot better in the rift. The exposure doesn't go crazy and the lighting seems less flat. There's no auto exposure issues either that I remember.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/natural-graphics-mod.4551/

Mascot

Have you tried this pp filter for the rift? I think it makes the game look a lot better in the rift. The exposure doesn't go crazy and the lighting seems less flat. There's no auto exposure issues either that I remember.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/natural-graphics-mod.4551/
I did do a while ago - I must have a play with it again. The author says AE is so low it's practically off anyway, but some of the other benefits are worth a closer look. Thanks.

Mascot

My AC adventures in slower cars continues, and has taken me to VIR in the Abarth 500 Assetto Corse. This has to be one of THE greatest track mods ever produced, and is easily OEM quality. I know I'm LTTP here but the detail and quality is frankly astonishing for all seven ribbons. It's obvious that this was a real labour of love for the modders. No detail seems to have been spared - even the hot air balloons have randomised positions. I'm absolutely loving it, and the Abarth 500 is utterly perfect there.

release%20header.jpg

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/virginia-international-raceway.11892/

I adore the GT classes but am so glad that I've deviated from my comfort zone lately.

TJP

TJP

This mod has been updated today: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/r-s-01-by-acm-modding-team.17402/updates

Update V0.8.6

- tires.ini: Specific tires RS01 Trophy:
Michelin to develloped a slick tire specifically for the RS01 Trophy, the S9L.
This tire can be used from 70 ° to 105 ° for the gum temperature and from 15 ° to 35 ° for the air temp.
The minimum cold pressure is 20psi, the optimum hot pressure is 31psi.
This tire should be able to hold a 45min run while having the behavior of a medium tire,
it is classified in the catalog Michelin in the hards.
Source Michelin

-New LUT files for the...

Mascot

This mod has been updated today: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/r-s-01-by-acm-modding-team.17402/updates

Update V0.8.6

- tires.ini: Specific tires RS01 Trophy:
Michelin to develloped a slick tire specifically for the RS01 Trophy, the S9L.
This tire can be used from 70 ° to 105 ° for the gum temperature and from 15 ° to 35 ° for the air temp.
The minimum cold pressure is 20psi, the optimum hot pressure is 31psi.
This tire should be able to hold a 45min run while having the behavior of a medium tire,
it is classified in the catalog Michelin in the hards.
Source Michelin

-New LUT files for the...

...performance of these new tires, new wear and temperature curves.

- car.ini: Corrective inertia improvement on the direction (STEER_LOCK, STEER_RATIO, LINEAR_STEER_ROD_RATIO)
FFMULT adjusted, patch on PICKUP_FRONT_HEIGHT and PICKUP_REAR_HEIGHT
- Suspensions.ini: Various adjustments needed as a result of the changes made
- Sound: volume balance adjustment.

:p

TJP

I'm blaming my sore back for the incomplete transmission of the patch notes.

In other news..

3.6GB patch now available for PC2 on Steam:

Project CARS 2 - PC Patch 2.0

• Improved driving line assist.
• Various AI behavioural and race line improvements.
• Multiple improvements and enhancements to multiplayer, and lobby handling.
• Improvements and enhancements to audio and sound effects.
• Improvements and enhancements to replays and replay cameras.
• USB keyboard support improved.
• Improvements, enhancements and fixes to Career flow.
• Enhancements to various cars’ handling and standard setup improvements.
• Tweaks and fixes to Achievement / Trophy unlock logic.
• Tweaks and fixes to setup UI and flow.
• Improved default assists for gamepad users.
• Fixes and improvements to headlights and brake lights.
• Fixes and improvements to ICM appearance and functionality.
• Improvements and enhancements to steering wheel support.
• Fixes and improvements to certain weather / tyre combinations.
• Optimisations to tracks across the game.
• Myriad render and performance tweaks and improvements.

Mascot

I'm blaming my sore back for the incomplete transmission of the patch notes.

In other news..

3.6GB patch now available for PC2 on Steam:

Project CARS 2 - PC Patch 2.0

• Improved driving line assist.
• Various AI behavioural and race line improvements.
• Multiple improvements and enhancements to multiplayer, and lobby handling.
• Improvements and enhancements to audio and sound effects.
• Improvements and enhancements to replays and replay cameras.
• USB keyboard support improved.
• Improvements, enhancements and fixes to Career flow.
• Enhancements to various cars’ handling and standard setup improvements.
• Tweaks and fixes to Achievement / Trophy unlock logic.
• Tweaks and fixes to setup UI and flow.
• Improved default assists for gamepad users.
• Fixes and improvements to headlights and brake lights.
• Fixes and improvements to ICM appearance and functionality.
• Improvements and enhancements to steering wheel support.
• Fixes and improvements to certain weather / tyre combinations.
• Optimisations to tracks across the game.
• Myriad render and performance tweaks and improvements.

social-issues-beg-help-street_person-help-vague-mban3307_low.jpg

DD

I know this is a thread dedicated to PC sims, but I believe that this is where the most "qualified" virtual drivers are found in this forum, so... Is anyone here playing the GT Sport demo? Thoughts?

Mascot

I know this is a thread dedicated to PC sims, but I believe that this is where the most "qualified" virtual drivers are found in this forum, so... Is anyone here playing the GT Sport demo? Thoughts?

I loved the beta but no longer have my PS4 so sadly didn't get to play the demo. GTS is looking like the real deal, though. Who'd have thought? The rank outsider in the damp-squib Best Ever Year For Sim Racing™ Cup looks like it just might steal the crown.

terrible

Banned
They need to fix the FFB in GT Sport, or assuming I'm experiencing a bug they need to fix the bug. With my T300 it almost feels like there's a soft lock at 0 degrees and I have to fight through it to turn! Changing the settings has no effect. It's not fun playing with that much resistance.

DD

I loved the beta but no longer have my PS4 so sadly didn't get to play the demo. GTS is looking like the real deal, though. Who'd have thought? The rank outsider in the damp-squib Best Ever Year For Sim Racing™ Cup looks like it just might steal the crown.

I think I need to spend more time with it, but I'm... kind of disappointed, honestly. D:

They need to fix the FFB in GT Sport, or assuming I'm experiencing a bug they need to fix the bug. With my T300 it almost feels like there's a soft lock at 0 degrees and I have to fight through it to turn! Changing the settings has no effect. It's not fun playing with that much resistance.
I'm playing with a controller, but I'm finding the counter steering so so weird, like it instantly throws the weight to the other side and launches the car on the opposite direction. I've never experienced that on any other sim.

The rally mode is completely awful. You can't feel the road surface, it seems like you're driving on ice with slick tires.

Mascot

The rally mode is completely awful. You can't feel the road surface, it seems like you're driving on ice with slick tires.

Rally modes in all driving games are mostly awful though, aren't they? That's why we have dedicated rally games. Why bother half-assing something when there's another game that already does it better and more comprehensively? To make your game more appealing to the casual gamer is the obvious answer, I suppose. I prefer racing games with more focus though. The core game undoubtedly benefits from concentrating on what it does best.

How distracted did SMS get with Rallycross* at the expense of a bug-free core? How did Rally contribute to GTS's lengthy delays?

*and go-carts. I mean, seriously. Does anyone actually enjoy driving these?

DD

Rally modes in all driving games are mostly awful though, aren't they? That's why we have dedicated rally games. Why bother half-assing something when there's another game that already does it better and more comprehensively? To make your game more appealing to the casual gamer is the obvious answer, I suppose. I prefer racing games with more focus though. The core game undoubtedly benefits from concentrating on what it does best.

How distracted did SMS get with Rallycross* at the expense of a bug-free core? How did Rally contribute to GTS's lengthy delays?

*and go-carts. I mean, seriously. Does anyone actually enjoy driving these?

I couldn't agree more. It's kind of the same with Codemasters adding all those trucks, buggies and RX races (which are good) on Dirt only to look cool on the trailers, but with no depth when you actually play them due to the lack of circuits, while the main stuff suffers with the same problem but on a smaller scale because they spent resources elsewhere.

ValfarHL

I found it lifeless. The FFB has almost no nuance. It's either oversteer or understeer. Just horrible, imo. :(
Senseation of speed in cockpit is also very bad, which makes it difficult to drive properly.
It's a bit better in bumper cam.

Lovely presentation, great UI, beautiful music (in menus), but that sadly doesn't help when the driving itself doesn't feel good.

I just enjoy Gran Turismo for what it is, rather than what it isn't. I play it with a controller (as I always have with console games), and never go looking to poke holes in it's simulation aspects. It'll never occupy that space for me, nor do I want it to.

Anyway, I played about a half an hour of the demo, and quite enjoyed myself. OK, part of it was I barely played GT6, so it's been an age since I've sat down with Gran Turismo. There really is nothing quite like it, is there?

If there's going to be enough "GT grind" there to sink my teeth into, I'll be picking it up for sure. While I hope for the best for their multiplayer structure, personally, it's not why I play GT. I get that elsewhere. I'll really be rooting for it to be successful however. It's important for all of sim racing to better teach people how to race.

I'm playing with a controller, but I'm finding the counter steering so so weird, like it instantly throws the weight to the other side and launches the car on the opposite direction. I've never experienced that on any other sim.

The very first thing I noticed was that the default control scheme was extremely bad for driving with no assists. You really have to up the sensitivity so you can steer the car fast enough to correct slides. Otherwise, you're exactly right. It's nearly impossible to drive.

I don't understand why PD can't set the lock and ratio for each car. And maybe add some choice to steering ratio in the car setup as well like AMS does. It's not much more than adding to variables to some equations and putting in 2 more numbers in to each of their car models.

No, I'm not gonna buy it. This is the one time where they re-do everything, start fresh with much fewer cars and tracks and they choose to not really update the tire model - still no tire pressure or tire temps(just red=too hot), suspensions are "one double-wishbone"-geometry for all double wishbone axes, one McPherson for all of those, nothing individual. Same with the steering, no caster setting shown. The tire flex, especially combined, longitudinal+lateral at the same time, is like driving on +3bar tire pressure. FFB feels awfully progressive, not based on self-aligning torque curves, you can't feel the suspension load up at high downforce - overall, you can't really feel the tire load, FFB is not harsher/quicker in a soft car vs a stiff car.
You don't need a top-notch simulation at the base of your game to do all this, just need to care about your wheel users and know how a car should feel and why it feels that way.

- no dynamic time of day any more
- no rain so far (it's out in a week, don't believe it will be in on day1, but they said it will be there)
- no FoV options anymore

And the too modern car list doesn't help either. Littered with GT3 and GT Vision cars.
I'm almost a little angry that this will sell well - and only because so many have passed up on GT6 and then it has been 7 years since the last GT game people played (if they even owned a PS3).

I can enjoy GT games for what they are, I platinumed GT6, but I'm not gonna support this one. Same with Forza this time around.

And yea, the menus and replays are great.

DD

I found it lifeless. The FFB has almost no nuance. It's either oversteer or understeer. Just horrible, imo. :(
Senseation of speed in cockpit is also very bad, which makes it difficult to drive properly.
It's a bit better in bumper cam.

Lovely presentation, great UI, beautiful music (in menus), but that sadly doesn't help when the driving itself doesn't feel good.

Yeah, the overall style is what makes GT great. The Japanese have a great sense of aesthetics.

I just enjoy Gran Turismo for what it is, rather than what it isn't. I play it with a controller (as I always have with console games), and never go looking to poke holes in it's simulation aspects. It'll never occupy that space for me, nor do I want it to.
Fair enough, and I totally agree with you here. Personally I don't care if a game is a sim, arcade or something in between. To me the most important thing is: is it fun and polished? I remember playing Juiced on the original Xbox, and even though it played like a turd, I had an insane amount of fun with it.

Anyway, I played about a half an hour of the demo, and quite enjoyed myself. OK, part of it was I barely played GT6, so it's been an age since I've sat down with Gran Turismo. There really is nothing quite like it, is there?

If there's going to be enough "GT grind" there to sink my teeth into, I'll be picking it up for sure. While I hope for the best for their multiplayer structure, personally, it's not why I play GT. I get that elsewhere. I'll really be rooting for it to be successful however. It's important for all of sim racing to better teach people how to race.
Believe it or not, I've never played a GT in my life, and even though I knew about its usual shortcomings, I was excited, and as I said, I can endure these shortcomings if it's fun, but I don't care about multiplayer and it seems that the solo campaign will be just a gigantic tutorial, so I'll skip it, hoping that we'll see a GT7 in this gen.

The very first thing I noticed was that the default control scheme was extremely bad for driving with no assists. You really have to up the sensitivity so you can steer the car fast enough to correct slides. Otherwise, you're exactly right. It's nearly impossible to drive.
I guess I'll have to turn some assists on then. :p

I don't understand why PD can't set the lock and ratio for each car. And maybe add some choice to steering ratio in the car setup as well like AMS does. It's not much more than adding to variables to some equations and putting in 2 more numbers in to each of their car models.

No, I'm not gonna buy it. This is the one time where they re-do everything, start fresh with much fewer cars and tracks and they choose to not really update the tire model - still no tire pressure or tire temps(just red=too hot), suspensions are "one double-wishbone"-geometry for all double wishbone axes, one McPherson for all of those, nothing individual. Same with the steering, no caster setting shown. The tire flex, especially combined, longitudinal+lateral at the same time, is like driving on +3bar tire pressure. FFB feels awfully progressive, not based on self-aligning torque curves, you can't feel the suspension load up at high downforce - overall, you can't really feel the tire load, FFB is not harsher/quicker in a soft car vs a stiff car.
You don't need a top-notch simulation at the base of your game to do all this, just need to care about your wheel users and know how a car should feel and why it feels that way.

- no dynamic time of day any more
- no rain so far (it's out in a week, don't believe it will be in on day1, but they said it will be there)
- no FoV options anymore

And the too modern car list doesn't help either. Littered with GT3 and GT Vision cars.
I'm almost a little angry that this will sell well - and only because so many have passed up on GT6 and then it has been 7 years since the last GT game people played (if they even owned a PS3).

I can enjoy GT games for what they are, I platinumed GT6, but I'm not gonna support this one. Same with Forza this time around.

And yea, the menus and replays are great.

I love the GT3 cars, but I f*ckin hate these GT vision stuff too. :(

I have a question that I guess is not technicallly PC Racing related but is certainly close enough. I play a lot of Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim and currently I use a Logitech G25 and I'd really like to upgrade to something that feels a bit less like a toy. I'm willing to spend some money on it but aesthetically most of the pricier wheels I see online are very much racing wheels, I'm certainly willing to overlook the aesthetics for a better feel (just really want to get rid of that grindy wobbly feel of the force feedback in the G25) but does anyone have any recommendations for anything out there that would be a serious upgrade that also maintains the look of something a little more like a normal wheel? I've looked through Fanatecs offerings and Thrustmasters selection and while a lot of their cheaper wheels look a little more standard I don't know what I'd be giving up in terms of quality for the aesthetics. If it comes down to giving up quality for aesthetics I'll just deal with a fancy looking racing wheel when driving a truck calmly through the countryside, but if its an option to get something a little more subdued I'd want to do that.

DD

I have a question that I guess is not technicallly PC Racing related but is certainly close enough. I play a lot of Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim and currently I use a Logitech G25 and I'd really like to upgrade to something that feels a bit less like a toy. I'm willing to spend some money on it but aesthetically most of the pricier wheels I see online are very much racing wheels, I'm certainly willing to overlook the aesthetics for a better feel (just really want to get rid of that grindy wobbly feel of the force feedback in the G25) but does anyone have any recommendations for anything out there that would be a serious upgrade that also maintains the look of something a little more like a normal wheel? I've looked through Fanatecs offerings and Thrustmasters selection and while a lot of their cheaper wheels look a little more standard I don't know what I'd be giving up in terms of quality for the aesthetics. If it comes down to giving up quality for aesthetics I'll just deal with a fancy looking racing wheel when driving a truck calmly through the countryside, but if its an option to get something a little more subdued I'd want to do that.
Hj7484d.gif

Kiddin'

I never used a G25 myself (only a Logitech Momo and my current G27) but toning down the FFB wouldn't do the trick?

This sounds like you don't want the wheel to be stronger and quicker (the things that can make you fast and better at reacting to countersteer, also more immersive in race cars), you want smoothness. Maybe you should look into a custom rim with a larger diameter for Fanatec's Universal Wheel Hub/rim. You can put regular after market wheels on it.

This will be too expensive, but something like this for example:
light and 355mm in diameter, makes the feedback less strong but smoother without killing it entirely.

This sounds like you don't want the wheel to be stronger and quicker (the things that can make you fast and better at reacting to countersteer, also more immersive in race cars), you want smoothness. Maybe you should look into a custom rim with a larger diameter for Fanatec's Universal Wheel Hub/rim. You can put regular after market wheels on it.

This will be too expensive, but something like this for example:
light and 355mm in diameter, makes the feedback less strong but smoother without killing it entirely.

Hm yeah thats a good idea! Wasnt aware of that option at all. And yeah thats exactly how I feel about it. Dont necessarily want the wheel to be able to beat me up in a fight just want it to feel natural during normal driving. And that would open up a lot of options for me to get it aesthetically the way I want it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hm yeah thats a good idea! Wasnt aware of that option at all. And yeah thats exactly how I feel about it. Dont necessarily want the wheel to be able to beat me up in a fight just want it to feel natural during normal driving. And that would open up a lot of options for me to get it aesthetically the way I want it. Thanks for the suggestion!

But be aware of the weight of the wheel. Unless you have a strong direct drive wheel, you shouldn't mount just any normal steering wheel onto a wheel base. A cheap alternative might be some any-rim DIY mounting solution for an older Thrustmaster T500. I've seen youtube videos of that. I wouldn't recommend a T500 even a cheaper one anymore these days to sim racers, but with a larger rim, if you're not expecting sudden forces, it probably still makes sense even with that brushed heavy motor.

kafiend

I don't see a cassette player or a CB but might still be a fun time :p
TRUCK-SIMULATOR---COMPACT.jpg

Top Bottom