• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Dave_6

Just bought the PC version of PCars 2. Is it worth messing about with the default FFB with my G27 first or go straight to these Jack Spade files I keep hearing about?

Mascot

Mmm... think I must have missed Riverside. Certainly doesn't ring any bells.

Been on VIR all day in the Abarth 500. It's a cult.

Aha - turns out I do already have Riverside after all, I've just not really driven there. It seems fantastic after a few laps in my pet Abarth, just my type of track, but I need to find some different AI routines as half of the field spins off at the second hairpin.

Really great mod though. Very impressive.

TJP

Full information and screens here: http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/en/news/pressreleases/2017/en1710yebis/en1710yebis.html
rfactor2_6.jpg
Not a fan of Yebis but it does make rF2 look good.

Mascot

Doesn't AC use Yebis? I seem to recall the logo appearing on a loading screen.

It does indeed. I'm a big fan of AC's visuals, actually. Something happens in VR to make the lighting and palette look incredibly lifelike, right up there with GT's replays at times.

TJP

Doesn't AC use Yebis? I seem to recall the logo appearing on a loading screen.
As Mascot stated AC uses Yebis. Milestone were the first racing specific Dev to use it from memory.

Shame Yebis can really kill the frame rate; I run AC without it despite my setup not being taxed too much using it on ultra in AC. Seems to really sap resources in rF2.

sTiTcH AU

I've got a 3-month freebie for iRacing. What are the dos and donts for a total newbie?

Learn the track without a racing line.

Practice and practice lots.

If you feel you are not ready to do a race dont do it, remember its not just your race you could ruin.

and lastly and many will disagree with me probably...dont race hard against people who are significantly quicker than you as it usually ends in tears.

Mascot

Learn the track without a racing line.

Practice and practice lots.

If you feel you are not ready to do a race dont do it, remember its not just your race you could ruin.

and lastly and many will disagree with me probably...dont race hard against people who are significantly quicker than you as it usually ends in tears.

That's cool, that's how I've always raced online anyway.

Any tips on what to do first, good beginner car/track combos etc?

Like Stitch says, it's all about practice. Pick a series for the week and stick to that one car/track combo. Jumping between events will just cause trouble. Then, ease yourself in:

1) Do a test day alone
2) Visit the iRacing forums, find the subforum for the series your driving in, check for videos for current track and see where he/she is braking/turning in/accelerating.
3) Do another test day alone, applying your new knowledge
4) Once you're feeling on pace, join an on-line practice session and drive with others
5) If you're confident, join a race, but don't set a qualifying time. This will mean you can start from the back of the grid. Focus on finishing the race without hitting anyone/going off track/spinning. This will improve your safety rating (SR) and unlock more series.
6) After safety comes proper racing!

Last important point is the 'splits'. If 60 people join an event with a max number of cars of 20, it will be split into three simultaneous race. The fast guys in one group, the medium guys in another and the slower guys in the other.

How does the game determine who is fast and slow? That'll be your iRating. Whenever you enter a race, point will be take from/given to the other drivers, depending on your finishing position. The more iRating points you have, the better chance of being in the faster split. Why be in the faster split? Well, these guys will tend be better all round drivers, with better manners and spatial awareness. Of course, you'll still be hit, spun around, T-bond and sworn at, but just not as much as the lower splits.

Enjoy!

That's cool, that's how I've always raced online anyway.

Any tips on what to do first, good beginner car/track combos etc?
Either MX5s at Summit Point or Lime Rock.

sTiTcH AU

Mazda mx5 is the easiest rookie series to get into. Its pretty crazy mid pack though ( well actually all the way through the field really haha) but its a fun car to drive. Summit point and okayama are excellent tracks in that car so really try to do well those weeks and just try to get your SR high enough for promotion when the time comes.

My favourite D class car is easily the skip barber, its a unique car to drive but oooohhh so fun.

Makikou

Like Stitch says, it's all about practice. Pick a series for the week and stick to that one car/track combo. Jumping between events will just cause trouble. Then, ease yourself in:

1) Do a test day alone
2) Visit the iRacing forums, find the subforum for the series your driving in, check for videos for current track and see where he/she is braking/turning in/accelerating.
3) Do another test day alone, applying your new knowledge
4) Once you're feeling on pace, join an on-line practice session and drive with others
5) If you're confident, join a race, but don't set a qualifying time. This will mean you can start from the back of the grid. Focus on finishing the race without hitting anyone/going off track/spinning. This will improve your safety rating (SR) and unlock more series.
6) After safety comes proper racing!

Last important point is the 'splits'. If 60 people join an event with a max number of cars of 20, it will be split into three simultaneous race. The fast guys in one group, the medium guys in another and the slower guys in the other.

How does the game determine who is fast and slow? That'll be your iRating. Whenever you enter a race, point will be take from/given to the other drivers, depending on your finishing position. The more iRating points you have, the better chance of being in the faster split. Why be in the faster split? Well, these guys will tend be better all round drivers, with better manners and spatial awareness. Of course, you'll still be hit, spun around, T-bond and sworn at, but just not as much as the lower splits.

Enjoy!

Either MX5s at Summit Point or Lime Rock.

I'll just add this:

www.virtualracingschool.com

Mascot

Thanks - very useful.

--------

Fuck a duck, this might just be the answer to the metallic rattling in my BK Gamer 2 that's been driving me mad for several years. I thought it was a clipping issue that happened if the bass was up too high, or if the game suddenly got exponentially loud (eg during a car crash). Turns out it's probably just a mechanical effect. I'm posting this in the hope it might help others here. I love my BK for sim racing but the manufacturers really should have put rubber inserts into the piston covers to start with. Seems like a basic design flaw, thankfully easily remedied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFMKpyyIudk

Dave_6

Agree that iRacing's VR implementation is better than AC's. Not in a huge way though.

I personally use Oculus Tray Tool to control super sampling. Been running 1.8 globally with a 1080ti.

Mascot

Got an odd one here. I use straight 5.1 audio via a DP/HDMI adapter from my GPU to a Yamaha amp. Assetto Corsa has audio in the menus, but nothing at all out on the track. If I switch inputs on the amp to an optical feed (which is only 2.1, but goes to all surround speakers with Pro Logic decoding) then track audio returns. No other games have this issue, all play full audio in 5.1.

Any ideas? I had AC working fine in proper 5.1 previously until a fault developed in the cable, which is when I switched to the optical cable as a stop gap until a new cable was sourced (now fitted). I can't find any settings that help in the AC menus.

Halp!

Mascot

Here's an excellent way to get Crew Chief to come through a headset while keeping the game audio fed from your TV or amp:

http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?125-Routing-game-audio-to-a-different-output-device

Totally transforms Crew Chief for me as I can now actually hear the engineer and spotter over my engine. Plus, it's pretty damn cool having CC piped directly into your 'helmet' like a real racing driver. The new spotter voice choices are great too.

Works like a dream with the Rift's built-in headphones.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Just as good as AC's VR

However, I can't remember how to fiddle with supersampling. Hopefully Google can help with that.

With Pcars2, you should disable external applications supersampling and use the Pcars2 in-game SS dial.

The external apps have the performance penalty of supersampling but without any visual supersampling being made. Thats my observation anyway.

Mascot

Thanks for the links Mascot. Love the unusual and unknown tracks.

I have to say, some of the track mods for AC are absolutely fantastic. Easily OEM quality.

I read somewhere that the FM7 car models have been cracked too, so there might be a glut of new cars with high-poly interiors on the grey market soon too. Naughty but nice if you like that kind of thing.

TJP

I have to say, some of the track mods for AC are absolutely fantastic. Easily OEM quality.

I read somewhere that the FM7 car models have been cracked too, so there might be a glut of new cars with high-poly interiors on the grey market soon too. Naughty but nice if you like that kind of thing.
Naughty modders!

I guess most of those FM7 cars will also have shitty physics based on my previous experience with FM based mods.

I believe there is a NFS mod with Lambo and ferrari 3D models taken from the game.

Mascot

Naughty modders!

I guess most of those FM7 cars will also have shitty physics based on my previous experience with FM based mods.

I believe there is a NFS mod with Lambo and ferrari 3D models taken from the game.

Yes, I've got that NFS mod, but I thought the cars were scratch-built, and it was just an homage to an old classic Lambo vs Ferrari NFS game?

-----

Of those tracks I posted earlier, Biķernieki is definitely my favourite. I love wide, fast tracks and this one is a corker. Love the layered long-trunk trees as well, they really add depth to the track perimeter. It seems like a great circuit for racing and hot-lapping, and it feels like one that'll be very satisfying to hunt down hundreths on.

Putnam Park is nice but a little plain (like the real circuit, I guess) and Kičevo, though very nicely executed, is a little too narrow and twisty for my personal tastes.

I'll be spending a lot of time at Biķernieki though.

Mascot

This. It's a legit scratch made mod, one of the best out there. The rest of the cars from NFS are still coming (which the newly updated NSX is part of).

Is the 959 on that list?

EDit: Oops, I'm thinking of Test Drive: The Duel.

Is the 959 in any modern sims?

kafiend

Was way overdue buying a new wheel so had a CSL Elite arrive today. What a step up from my G25 and so much fun. Reinvigorated my want to play racing games, which had been in decline for a long time.

Pro tip: If playing with the drift setting which is by default at -5 don't set it to +5 and move the wheel. Thought it had broken my thumb for a second as it was completely in the wrong place for a wheel gone berserk.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
By the way, I played the original NFS when it came out on the 3DO eons ago, but never got around to playing the Playstation 1 version. Does anyone know if the PS1 version supported any of the analog steering wheels at the time?

Putnam Park is nice but a little plain (like the real circuit, I guess)
I haven't tried in AC, but I found the rF2 quite a challenge due to lack of any proper brake markers, having to use tufts of grass/marks in asphalt instead. Good circuit for low powered cars though.

DD

nfs-jpg.183976

He needs to find a way to incorporate the original Need For Speed 3DO graphics into AC for the ultimate authentic experience.

Man, I remember when I saw this running for the first time. I went to a store to rent a game for my Mega Drive/Genesis and I saw from afar a guy playing Need for Speed on a 3DO and I was like "HOLY F*CK, IT'S SO F*CKING REAL! IT CAN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT!", lol. Good times...

TJP

Yes, I've got that NFS mod, but I thought the cars were scratch-built, and it was just an homage to an old classic Lambo vs Ferrari NFS
Sorry gents, I was going off memory and I got the details wrong.

It is a great mod and I loo, forward to other NFS inspired cars to AC many of which are already in as oldr models. The original NFS games with Road & Track were fantastic.

TJP

I haven't tried in AC, but I found the rF2 quite a challenge due to lack of any proper brake markers, having to use tufts of grass/marks in asphalt instead. Good circuit for low powered cars though.
You sicko! Actually, the lack of markers adds to the challenge as stated.

Did you every try the gingerman track URD were selling? Looks like another better for slow cars tracks. Shame it hasn't been updated to DX11 standards.

You sicko! Actually, the lack of markers adds to the challenge as stated.

Did you every try the gingerman track URD were selling? Looks like another better for slow cars tracks. Shame it hasn't been updated to DX11 standards.
I did indeed. They're similar but Putnam is my preferred track. That being said, I'm aware that my memory of Gingerman could be tainted due to the author acting like a bit of a twat.

Top Bottom