• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

DD

IMO Cars are absolutely irrelevant, tracks are what counts.

F355 Challenge remains game with greatest car-to-track ratio ever, with only 1 car and 10 tracks (11 with test-track) and there was no single problem with that.

As long as car selection covers all basic variations of configuration/drive-type/power, there is no problem. And approx. 20-30 cars are more then enough for that IMO

Of course, cars - especially particular models/marquees - are *important* to marketing for mainstream audience, as we have learned through time. However, even the current pCARS selection of vehicles is more then enough to satisfy all basic types of cars today. For me personally the tracks (courses) are the single greatest fundament of pCARS and I am glad how SMS is so focused on their development.

This.

1-D_FTW

I would argue that cars are the most important, in terms of getting them feeling right, and having true depth to their handling characteristics that you can explore and become familiar with over time (as you do when owning one car for many years). So it's about the quality of the cars, not the quantity. PCARS has more than enough already, but none of them feel right to me, so I dunno what's going on there. Limited track selection and track inaccuracies can be forgiven to some extent if the car feels right. If the car feels right, I basically only need one car and one track to have fun.

I would agree with an *. The asterisk being is the game modable? If it is, then absolutely. Maybe I'm naive, but I trust the mod community much more with tracks than cars. So if you give me a killer set of cars, and make the game modable, I'll trust the community to fill in the blank with the tracks.

Arucardo

I'll take rfactor over those games any day. Maybe official tracks are a little prettier, but when it comes to available tracks, no game can touch rfactor. Plus, I'm not even sure that rfactor's modded tracks aren't more accurate than Simbin's Shift official tracks.

I've played a bunch of their tracks to compare with the iRacing ones I own and they're not all that accurate. The SimBin one's have parts that are wider than the real track (nothing major though) and most of the time the curbs are way more forgiving (partially because of the sims physics and sometimes it's just a much lower and less upsetting curb). Mid Ohio is a good one to compare, I have the iRacing one, the Virtua_LM one and SimBin's version.

The NFS Shift tracks are probably the least accurate ones (quite a few of them at least), but it's somewhat intentional to make passing easier and to make the tracks in general a little more forgiving I guess.

Shaneus

F355 Challenge remains game with greatest car-to-track ratio ever, with only 1 car and 10 tracks (11 with test-track) and there was no single problem with that.

As long as car selection covers all basic variations of configuration/drive-type/power, there is no problem. And approx. 20-30 cars are more then enough for that IMO

Of course, cars - especially particular models/marquees - are *important* to marketing for mainstream audience, as we have learned through time. However, even the current pCARS selection of vehicles is more then enough to satisfy all basic types of cars today. For me personally the tracks (courses) are the single greatest fundament of pCARS and I am glad how SMS is so focused on their development.
Yup, right on. Turn 10 could learn a thing or two about that. There's something about being "intimate" with a car and driving it so much that you can learn every little characteristic about it. But if you can only take each car on a limited number of tracks, you can only learn so much about it. I'd much rather know everything about a very small selection of automobiles than only have a superficial knowledge of a shitload.

There's a reason that the majority of sims on PC only have a small number of cars yet almost always have a diverse selection of tracks.

My brother would disagree with you amar :p

All he does in GT5 is test every single car he can get on the Nurburgring and see how they compare.

Personally, I think they're both equally important.

disap.ed

Maybe for real semi-pro sim drivers, but no racing game will sell in high numbers without a decent lineup of famous cars.
Also there are no FWD and AWD cars in the game yet, so I wouldn't call it "covers all basic variations".
As you stated yourself, Cars are very important for advertisment, much more so than tracks.
I think SMS is quite aware of this and they will try to achieve the best within the budget and time on the car side also.
Track selection is already quite respectable (even without the already announced tracks which aren't yet in the game) and I have no doubt that it will be the new benchmark in this area (both selection and quality of the tracks).

Shaneus

Possibly, but think about it: Would a game with 20 cars and one track, even if it is the 'Ring, do well at all? I can't think of a single game that does anything like that, with the possible exception of something like Tokyo Highway Battle which is essentially a number of smaller point-to-point tracks linked up as one big one anyway. Yet I could name a number of games that have a small amount of cars (even down to just one... as F355 was mentioned earlier) but survive on having a decent number of tracks.

It's weird logic and it's definitely not something that's a selling point compared to "zomg drive your favourite car in this game", but I think there's more depth in taking a limited amount of cars around a comparatively large amount of tracks rather than a large number of cars around a comparatively small number of tracks. I know because out of the 600 or so cars in FM4, I've *maybe* driven 100 of them... an even smaller number with any great depth.

amar212

All he does in GT5 is test every single car he can get on the Nurburgring and see how they compare.

Yes, I know, but you also know what I meant ;)

We have mainstream games with 700+ cars and only 30 tracks (with variations up to 70) of which only 10-15 are actually usable for multiplayer purposes.

Those 700+ cars are absolutely important for all mainstream players during initial period of the game (up to 3 months post release) after which 90% of userbase moves to some another game. And from that point onward, long-term players are left to collect all cars and drive them on the same 20 tracks over and over again. It is just plain wrong.

I mentioned TOCA: Race Driver 3 before. Just look at this. I want such selection - and more of course - to become a standard. I can't care less about having 30 Ferraris, 20 Porsches or whatever when I have to drive them on same 20 tracks every damn Saturday.

Megasoum

Banned
Like I said previously in this thread, I think tracks are far more important than cars for the overall experience. That's one of the main reasons why I loved Shift 2 so much. I was still discovering new tracks 30 hours into my career.

Dilly

Banned
TOCA Race Driver 3 had one of the best racing careers I've ever played.

Too bad that series evolved into the shit that's going to be GRID2.

Megasoum

Banned
TOCA Race Driver 3 had one of the best racing careers I've ever played.

Too bad that series evolved into the shit that's going to be GRID2.

Yup.

I miss those crazy characters and the stupid story lol. It was super cheesy and corny but I love it. Brings a bit of life into a kinda generally boring game genre (by boring I'm not talking about the actual driving experience obviously).

1-D_FTW

I've played a bunch of their tracks to compare with the iRacing ones I own and they're not all that accurate. The SimBin one's have parts that are wider than the real track (nothing major though) and most of the time the curbs are way more forgiving (partially because of the sims physics and sometimes it's just a much lower and less upsetting curb). Mid Ohio is a good one to compare, I have the iRacing one, the Virtua_LM one and SimBin's version.

The NFS Shift tracks are probably the least accurate ones (quite a few of them at least), but it's somewhat intentional to make passing easier and to make the tracks in general a little more forgiving I guess.

Haha. I even meant to originally say SMS. So your observation hammers it home even more.

We have mainstream games with 700+ cars and only 30 tracks (with variations up to 70) of which only 10-15 are actually usable for multiplayer purposes.

Those 700+ cars are absolutely important for all mainstream players during initial period of the game (up to 3 months post release) after which 90% of userbase moves to some another game. And from that point onward, long-term players are left to collect all cars and drive them on the same 20 tracks over and over again. It is just plain wrong.

I mentioned TOCA: Race Driver 3 before. Just look at this. I want such selection - and more of course - to become a standard. I can't care less about having 30 Ferraris, 20 Porsches or whatever when I have to drive them on same 20 tracks every damn Saturday.

You know what must be done. Get that PC built. You can have both.

I remember Isamu talked forever about this PC he was going to build. People gave up hope of him ever doing it. Then, one day, he's suddenly got the best racing rig on gaf. And as he's already posted in this thread, nobody's a bigger fan of the PC's offering than him. It really is racing nirvana. And as a bonus, if you can race on a 3D display, even older games like rfactor and GTR 2 still look pretty good.

_machine

Where be the Italian tracks? ;)

I'd say in pure amount I'd take cars over tracks, but not by far and it off course depends on which tracks and which cars. pCARS seems to be taking the crown for me because it has my favorite tracks, a bit of variety and the 3 P2P tracks are a huge plus for me, especially Stelvio is one I'm really excited about having been there. It could use a few more less-known tracks , few from Ocenia, few more historical ones...hell, when it comes to tracks there's no such thing as too much (Unless you want to master them all).

Anyhow, I'll be going away for 6 months and hopefully I'll have saved enough money for a proper wheel so I can join SimGAF for real.

Xanadu

Banned

that would be cool, but mostly every car i'm interested in in GT5 is a shitty GT4 model

Yes please, I hope developers (Yamauchi included) focus more on tracks than cars from now on. I mean GT was fine with around "only" 200-300 cars. There's no need for 1000. Of course when you want to include every racing category in the game you need to make compromises but oh well, what can you do. Hopefully the level of detail that we get now in car models is enough for a lot of years so they can focus on adding more tracks, more niche cars and more features.

Obviously the same applies to PC sims, track mods is something I love but they're not always that good.

Shaneus

Have there been any mods to bring TOCA 3 into the modern age a la RBR? I'm thinking additional cars/tracks/careers, engine mods/upgrades, that sort of thing.

Doubt it, not really comparable to RBR. That gets a lot of support because it's still the best rally sim at its core, whereas TOCA was never the best at... anything :p

Megasoum

Banned
God damn those new pCARS screenshot that came with the new build.

I'm taking no credit for those shots. They are from the community (via DrivingItalia).

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I'm sorry to say this, but this is not next gen. The pics look good, the game seems to be great and i will buy in the future, but i was under the impression that this was a next gen game built to utilize the gazzilion of TFLOPS the computers have these days.

Looks good but it will be outclassed by GT6/Forza 5 when those two show up what next gen is all about.

(i know PCars ill come out for PS3/360, but this doesn't erase the fact that for PC it was touted as a "next gen" game).

Megasoum

Banned
I'm sorry to say this, but this is not next gen. The pics look good, the game seems to be great and i will buy in the future, but i was under the impression that this was a next gen game built to utilize the gazzilion of TFLOPS the computers have these days.

Looks good but it will be outclassed by GT6/Forza 5 when those two show up what next gen is all about.

(i know PCars ill come out for PS3/360, but this doesn't erase the fact that for PC it was touted as a "next gen" game).

I doubt that the first 2 years or so of the next get consoles will look much better than that. So I expect the next Forza to be similar to that.

Maybe GT6 will look better but it won't be out for at least 3 years so who cares if it looks better than a 2013 game at that point.

Niks

You seem to have a lot of faith on PD and Turn10.
In regards to car modeling PD is right on cue, but PD has a lot to catch up to PC in terms of track textures/modeling.

I will be really surprised if PD will pull this off in GT6 (for all tracks)

index.php

Also, I agree on the tracks > cars point.

Branson

I swear pCars never looks like that for me. Ever. Even maxed out. The shadows are horrible and flicker, the draw distance kind of sucks, and most of the time it's a blurry mess. I know it's alpha but damn, some of the shots that come out of it make me wish it looked like that on a regular basis.

In regards to car modeling PD is right on cue, but PD has a lot to catch up to PC in terms of track textures/modeling.

I will be really surprised if PD will pull this off in GT6 (for all tracks)

index.php

Also, I agree on the tracks > cars point.

You are comparing an yet unreleased game to one that came out in 2010 :p

Why would you gain/lose any faith based on that?

Also those shots are edited, and I'm not even sure who edited them did the game a favor. Check the high res screenshots thread for some really stunning shots.

Megasoum

Banned
I swear pCars never looks like that for me. Ever. Even maxed out. The shadows are horrible and flicker, the draw distance kind of sucks, and most of the time it's a blurry mess. I know it's alpha but damn, some of the shots that come out of it make me wish it looked like that on a regular basis.

Yeah, because we are still so far away from actual release the quality is really up and down from track to track and from car to car (even between different sections of a track sometimes). You need to find the right spot, right angle and conditions to look that good. A bit of camera fidling helps too.

TJP

Haha at the suggestion CARS isn't indicative of a 'next-gen' game.

RUF announced for RaceRoom RE:

ruf_ctr3_08a.jpg

The car is a beast in RR-RE 8)

TJP

If it is, I'll be disappointed. Other then great texture work and IQ (at unplayable framerates) nothing in it as really impressed me.
So what areas are you expecting to be improved over CARS by the upcoming console hardware and racing games?

Darkdeus

You are comparing an yet unreleased game to one that came out in 2010 :p

Why would you gain/lose any faith based on that?

Also those shots are edited, and I'm not even sure who edited them did the game a favor. Check the high res screenshots thread for some really stunning shots.
Those are my shots and they're all unedited. Why would you say they're edited? I post them in the hi res thread all the time.

1-D_FTW

Haha at the suggestion CARS isn't indicative of a 'next-gen' game.

RUF announced for RaceRoom RE:

ruf_ctr3_08a.jpg

The car is a beast in RR-RE 8)

Okay. That's hawt. If only the bastards would let me into the beta.

*Runs to check his multiple junk e-mail accounts to see if an invite is buried somewhere*

Those are my shots and they're all unedited. Why would you say they're edited? I post them in the hi res thread all the time.

Sure, but it's not the same as ingame footage. Not questioning the graphics of the game myself, but yeah, depth of field and superb IQ sometimes make games look better than they do while playing. Like GT5. Ingame pCars looks fantastic but not "next-gen" to me either.

TJP

I want some real innovation as far as the network features go. pCARS isn't even to today's standards on that regard.
I see. I hate to trot out the old chestnut 'CARS has 12 months of development time left' phrase but I'm going to 8)

What I expect from the next GT and Forza games is the same or similar graphics to CARS, fully dynamic and changeable weather, changing track surfaces in real time like rF2 green to rubberised racing line, rally mode for Forza, 20+ car grids online and offline (none of this 8 car shite in single player), more tracks, extensive photo mode and even better online communities.

Okay. That's hawt. If only the bastards would let me into the beta.
*Runs to check his multiple junk e-mail accounts to see if an invite is buried somewhere*
I believe SimBin are still away on holidays for another week but keep checking. People are posting their thoughts on the beta in the WMD forums too about the RUF and other vehicles although opinions about other sims may be slightly biased 8)

I never had the game give me colours like that. Are those directly from the game? Not even using color correction or the Tweak tool?

Also the blur looks iffy.

I see. I hate to trot out the old chestnut 'CARS has 12 months of development time left' phrase but I'm going to 8)

Yeah but... you can already see where they are going with it. I want some real innovation. I want a server to be a persistent track, I want full TV broadcast like spectator mode, I want to be able to sit at the trackside with other people, walk around the garages inspecting my car while hearing/seeing other peoples cars in their practice.

I wanna feel like I'm actually at a race track with my online friends.

1-D_FTW

What I expect from the next GT and Forza games is the same or similar graphics to CARS, fully dynamic and changeable weather, changing track surfaces in real time like rF2 green to rubberised racing line, rally mode for Forza, 20+ car grids online and offline (none of this 8 car shite in single player), more tracks, extensive photo mode and even better online communities.

I believe SimBin are still away on holidays for another week but keep checking. People are posting their thoughts on the beta in the WMD forums too about the RUF and other vehicles although opinions about other sims may be slightly biased 8)

Haha. I think the more critical they are of it, the better I'll like it.

1-D_FTW

How are the GTR games? Is it similar to GT or Forza?

They're available on sale right now for 3.60 a piece (on Steam). They don't really have gamey progression. GTR 2, however, has the awesome Power and Glory 3 mod available for it. Probably the best way to currently play the 60s and 70s glory cars.

EDIT: Assuming you have a wheel. No idea how they play with a controller.

Xanadu

Banned
They're available on sale right now for 3.60 a piece (on Steam). They don't really have gamey progression. GTR 2, however, has the awesome Power and Glory 3 mod available for it. Probably the best way to currently play the 60s and 70s glory cars.

EDIT: Assuming you have a wheel. No idea how they play with a controller.

very, very badly

Shaneus

I feel the same way. I'm not posting my own thoughts here or on WMD as I'm part of a different beta team.

Seems people have found the latest converted tracks for Game Stock Car 2012: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBPNiR_P24 and a decent overview of Game Stock Car 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X6hfGn_xZU
Do you know if the tracks in Reiza's truck game are any different to those in GSC? More tracks means more goodness.

Also, can I ask which beta? I have a feeling you've mentioned it before, but I can't remember specifically.

Edit: Holy shit, Webber and Barrichello have both raced in a GSC12 league! BRB practicing.

Darkdeus

I never had the game give me colours like that. Are those directly from the game? Not even using color correction or the Tweak tool?

Also the blur looks iffy.

I wanna feel like I'm actually at a race track with my online friends.

I agree that the game defintely does not look as good while your playing because most of the tracks don't look as good as the cars and are not complete yet.
You can get colors like that with the hable filmic HDR mode and cloudy weather. There's 3 different options for HDR, as well as the option to turn it off. Most people leave it to photographic HDR which leaves the game looking washed out. The hdr I used does add to much contrast imo but makes for some stylized shots. I prefer it to look like this shot that I took with hdr off:

7563044828_8e6b1c842f_z.jpg

Also I have 900 project cars screenshots here that look like that: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/sets/72157627926694442/

Obviously I have not edited them in any way. They are 100% in game. Check out these short unedited videos i made as well to prove it:
http://youtu.be/8bDHVs4m724
http://youtu.be/YpF-kuNYTpA

TJP

Do you know if the tracks in Reiza's truck game are any different to those in GSC? More tracks means more goodness.

Also, can I ask which beta? I have a feeling you've mentioned it before, but I can't remember specifically.
RR-RE :cool:

As for Reiza's truck sim, no idea as to the tracks or how many but it's a sure bet the game will be rFactor based and any new tracks will be ported either by Reiza or someone else.

Anyone else tried Simraceway? The base package which is free contains 3 cars a 15 tracks!

I do. A lot more on PD, but still, i'm expecting a huge jump for next gen. We shouldn't be debating if this game looks like next gen or not (better track details, car models on par with GT5 + nicer textures).

It should stand out as something impossible on current gen. The feeling we got when seeing the next gen demos avaliable (by order of awesomeness, MGS Ground Zeroes; Watch Dogs; Samaritan; Agni Philosophy and Star Wars 1313).

Those demos are clearly next gen, they are unquestionably a leap from the 2005 tech we have with PS360.

PCars looks good, has a ton of interesting features, but i expect more out of next gen. It's not a surprise that this is a game scheduled to come out on PS360. I think they can easily scale down for those.

Also, i'm crossing my fingers that the handling in this has nothing to do with Shift 1 and 2, because those games drove me insane with the shitty handling cars.

Top Bottom