• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

1-D_FTW

what plans - if any - do developers have to support Oculus Rift?

I think the rift would be very interesting to those racing folk that invest in multimonitor setups (assuming you do it for FoV not resolution)

A Rift and good wheel setup could be sublime. Bonus points for a motion platform to simulate G.

I wouldn't be surprised if the major sims supported it. As long as you render 3D properly, it shouldn't be that hard. And most sims make it a major priority to have proper rendering since 3D is so beneficial for sims. That's why I was surprised SMS mentioned looking into it for pcars. They're one of the few guys who've historically had significant issues with 3D rendering.

Watevaman

Yeah I'm glad he broke his NDA because that pretty much sold me on RR. The sound, motion blur, etc. all felt natural. Simbin is the best.

Watevaman

As in I'll actually "waste" my time downloading it. There's a lot of free stuff out there that I don't have simply because it's not interesting.

TJP

I thought the tracks were free. Bah.
Some tracks are free, others aren't and its the same for the cars. Anyone who posts how much each car, track and/or paint costs (or you see a video showing the cost) has the details completely wrong as RR-RE pricing is not yet finalised 8)

Megasoum

Banned
Just got an invite too but I won't be able to play for a while. Spent 5 days in the hospital last week and I'm in recovery for a couple of weeks...bummer.

Hopefully the test will still be on by the time I'm back home.

Shaneus

I managed to download all 4.9gb of it in under 10 minutes :D

Just watched that pCARS v. RRE video and man... RRE track details look REALLY good. If you took away the cockpit, I'd swear you were watching a real-life run. Colours are bang-on.

TJP

What build number are you guys using as there are two specific beta teams 8)

I'm also wondering if anyone is not convinced by the 'Get Real' physics mode? I responded to a question a while ago in this very thread regarding the differences between the original demo with all assists active vs the 'get real' physics and stated the unassisted game was like all previous SimBin titles; easy to drive yet hard to master. Now that many of you have sampled the real physics engine and tyre model, what are your thoughts?

Arucardo

What build number are you guys using as there are two specific beta teams 8)

I'm also wondering if anyone is not convinced by the 'Get Real' physics mode? I responded to a question a while ago in this very thread regarding the differences between the original demo with all assists active vs the 'get real' physics and stated the unassisted game was like all previous SimBin titles; easy to drive yet hard to master. Now that many of you have sampled the real physics engine and tyre model, what are your thoughts?

I absolutely love it, the cars I've tried at least. It's not quite the same as the earlier Race'07 based stuff imo.

build 6.737, is there a newer build for a different group?

Shaneus

I absolutely love it, the cars I've tried at least. It's not quite the same as the earlier Race'07 based stuff imo.

build 6.737, is there a newer build for a different group?
Same same. But I can't start mine at all, just get some "Can't connect to server" mumbo jumbo :/

Got in the beta today too, but was having a weird issue where the game would crash just after the start finish line on the first lap. After that happening about 3 times in a row it seems to have fixed itself.

My other issue is with the G27; it doesnt use the whole 900 degree of the wheel, just a very small portion, and i cant seem to change that at all.

360 pad support is great however, it's nice to finally have a pc race game that I can play either way.

TJP

My other issue is with the G27; it doesnt use the whole 900 degree of the wheel, just a very small portion, and i cant seem to change that at all.
The latest build allows the user to adjust the in-game wheel rotation to whatever they like up to 1080 degrees. I adjust my G27 wheel using the Logitech software and setting a profile for RR-RE - SimBin seemingly prefer the default 270 degrees but I prefer 540 for GT cars.

All of you who got into the R3E beta, did you receive any emails from Simbin prior to the beta invite? I havent received anything at all yet so just to make sure i tried applying again but it said the email address was already used. I cannot use it to login to the raceroom.net site though, a separate account is needed for that?

1-D_FTW

All of you who got into the R3E beta, did you receive any emails from Simbin prior to the beta invite? I havent received anything at all yet so just to make sure i tried applying again but it said the email address was already used. I cannot use it to login to the raceroom.net site though, a separate account is needed for that?

I'm in the same boat. So if somebody could answer this, I'd be appreciative. We just need to know whether you ever received any e-mails before receiving your beta invitation.

Shaneus

So was anyone else having connectivity issues? I couldn't get online and couldn't actually ping the IP address it was trying to connect to (even the portal). It was stopping at my router so maybe that needs a reboot or something (it's only a newie, but haven't had any problems with it thus far).

The rightful GPL successor. It looks incredible, but without any classic tracks there's no doubt some of the charm is lost. Anyway, I'll happily resub the day it comes out. Can't wait.

I could have sworn I signed up for the RaceRoom beta... actually I think I may have bailed because it wanted a hardware profile, which I couldn't provide at the time. Glad to hear it plays well though. That full assist demo wasn't the best way to intro a sim, so it's good they're putting a better foot forward.

friday

I have a quick question about Project CARS. I know the driving models are not super deep, but would you consider them close to something like Forza/GT5 or more arcadey like Grid or Shift?

leca

Awwww yeah, Race room beta invite! :D

That comparison video with pcars is hilarious. I'm keen to give this a whirl tonight :)

leca

Hilarious in what way?

The gameplay on display was filmed via string and a tin can. It hardly represents pcars and a better quality video could have been used to compare the two games.

It looks like the two source videos have been recorded at different FPS or something, it just looks off to me :).

markao

R3E open Beta announcement: RRRE open beta launch trailer

Some info about content free or not from that trailer.

contentfreeejoqb.jpg

content3nr8k.jpg

1-D_FTW

I guess the only good thing is it's on Steam. Might see some 75 percent off sales. But, yeah, I was looking forward to GT3 because I don't want my racing games to be F2P. If I'm gonna spend money on cars and tracks, it's going to be with iracing and their online infrastructure.

Dilly

Banned
I guess the only good thing is it's on Steam. Might see some 75 percent off sales. But, yeah, I was looking forward to GT3 because I don't want my racing games to be F2P. If I'm gonna spend money on cars and tracks, it's going to be with iracing and their online infrastructure.

Yeah, because with iRacing it actually makes sense.

Top Bottom