• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC smarties: Is this a good configuration for the ultimate gaming computer?

VALIS

Thanks to everyone's generous help I re-configured and came up with an even better computer at less money! Don't know how that happened:

CASE: NZXT Nemesis Metal Mid-Tower Case 400W W/ side-panel Window (BLACK COLOR)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.67GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394&7.1Audio
POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake ToughPower 750 Watt Power Supply - SLI Ready
POWER PROTECTION: OPTI-UPS ES1500C 1400VA/980W UNINTERRUPT POWER SUPPLY
COOLING SYSTEM: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express Video Card
VIDEO CARD 2: NEW!!! NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express Video Card
LCD Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: 750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: COMBO DRIVE (16X DVD-ROM & 52x32x52 CD-RW) (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: New! Creative Labs X-FI Platinum 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

$3946.00
(before all applicable rebates)

What if I remove one of those 7950's, would the machine

a. Still be powerful enough to run any game without compromises?
b. Be future-proof? Any reason I can't replace the 7950 with a DX10 card when they come out?

Seems like that's be best option. I can still buy stuff now and upgrade to Vista and a DX10 card whenever. Those two questions are important, though. I don't want to drop 3K on a machine and still have to turn off options, y'know? Nor do I want to be screwed come "next generation." Thanks again for the help.

VALIS

Carl2282 said:
CROSSFIRE AND QUAD SLI DONT MIX MAN! you need to pick a new mobo

Whoops. That was an accident, I forgot to re-choose in that category. This is the new motherboard:

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394&7.1Audio

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
As mentioned that is a last gen/downgradaton CPU, go for the latest Core Duo E6600 CPU with 4MB cache.
Also the latest DX10 cards are just around the corner, the nVidia G80 is a dual-core GPU water-cooled monster.

Carl2282

navanman said:
As mentioned that is a last gen/downgradaton CPU, go for the latest Core Duo E6600 CPU with 4MB cache.
Also the latest DX10 cards are just around the corner, the nVidia G80 is a dual-core GPU water-cooled monster.
hes got a E6700 listed on there that should be just fine

but honeslty man i wouldnt run quad sli right now if anything just get one 7950x2 for right now.

I'm still kicking myself for getting a radeon x1900xt acouple months ago thats just gonna be shelved when the dx10 cards come out

koam

That's quite possibly the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. But hey, it's your cash. I'd wait for a DX10 card like others have said otherwise your buying the cards for nothing.

Finaika

VALIS said:
SOUND: New! Creative Labs X-FI Platinum 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
Get the X-Fi Fatal1ty or better yet X-Fi Elite Pro they have this 64MB X-RAM which is good for gaming... or something...

bee

your getting better, that first machine spec was pretty shocking.still a few things to change though.

change the thermaltake psu, seasonic,enermax,antec,ocz or tagan all make superior units.

2 x 7950gx2 is a total waste of money, if u get that u better get a 30inch 2560x1600 screen or u'll see zero performance difference, 1 is more than enuff and u better get a big screen for that aswell, 2 graphics cards (which is what a 7950gx2 essentially is) only makes any difference at resolutions above 1280x1024.

unless your gonna overclock u really want 533 or 677 mhz ddr2 with the lowest timings(3-3-3-9), this will undoubtedly be some micron d9 based stuff, team xtreem ram is very good.

i'd suggest a 150gb 10k raptor hdd as a games drive.

dont get that coolermaster water cooling, if u really want to go the water route then get a low end swiftech kit.if you dont know what your doing i'd advise staying well away from water, a high end air cooler would be as good as that coolermaster kit though.

that case looks cheap to say the least, why buy a top end pc then place it all in a rattling hand shredder of a case, lian li cases are great or something like a coolermaster stacker or akasa eclipse.

lastly if u dont get sli then change the motherboard to a intel 965/975 based board something like asus p5w dh deluxe,p5b deluxe or gigabyte dq6.

hope that helps.

bee said:
your getting better, that first machine spec was pretty shocking.still a few things to change though.

change the thermaltake psu, seasonic,enermax,antec,ocz or tagan all make superior units.

2 x 7950gx2 is a total waste of money, if u get that u better get a 30inch 2560x1600 screen or u'll see zero performance difference, 1 is more than enuff and u better get a big screen for that aswell, 2 graphics cards (which is what a 7950gx2 essentially is) only makes any difference at resolutions above 1280x1024.

RIGHT NOW, who knows if that will still be true when Direct X 10 is out.

Get a Raptor 10k rpm hard drive, best decision ever.
Also get really good speakers I have the logitech z560's i think they're amazing.

also if you want to get serious about PC Gaming you need to buy a G5 Logitech gaming mouse and a glass mouse pad with skatez, it will noticeably improve your FPS ability

you can get all this stuff on NewEgg

Carl2282

ElectricBlue187 said:
RIGHT NOW, who knows if that will still be true when Direct X 10 is out.

Get a Raptor 10k rpm hard drive, best decision ever.
Also get really good speakers I have the logitech z560's i think they're amazing.

also if you want to get serious about PC Gaming you need to buy a G5 Logitech gaming mouse and a glass mouse pad with skatez, it will noticeably improve your FPS ability

you can get all this stuff on NewEgg

i absolutely love my G5, you have a link for the mousepad?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bee said:
unless your gonna overclock u really want 533 or 677 mhz ddr2 with the lowest timings(3-3-3-9), this will undoubtedly be some micron d9 based stuff, team xtreem ram is very good.

Wait, what? Don't go for 800 MHz RAM with a core 2 duo 6700?

I agree with the wait for DX10 cards sentiment. I am looking to build real soon, but I am stuffing a cheapo 7600 in so that I won't care about swapping out later. What big name games are coming out between now and DX10? Nothin really.

Piscopink

Seriously, wait for Core 2 Quadro. It's just around the corner.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/

intro_quadcore.jpg

3dm06-cpu.png

Conclusion: Core 2 Quadro Soups Up Performance
Compared with the already not-too-shabby Intel Core 2 Duo/Extreme, the Core 2 Quadro can give performance a mighty tweak - but only for specific applications. In the best-case scenario, performance can even be doubled.

Editor's Opinion
For me, working with one of the first quad core systems was amazing. No matter how many applications you run at the same time, the system reacts to user commands quickly. Some applications require half the time to finish tasks. To me, it's like being catapulted a year into the future and is unlike the past few years when computing power increased only marginally. Intel pumped out 30% more performance with Core 2 Duo and will double that again with Core 2 Quadro soon.

suaveric

spending 4k on a rig has got to be the worst investment you can make. unless you've got money to spare, why waste so much on a PC that will be out classed in 2 years or less?

bee

Wellington said:
Wait, what? Don't go for 800 MHz RAM with a core 2 duo 6700?

I agree with the wait for DX10 cards sentiment. I am looking to build real soon, but I am stuffing a cheapo 7600 in so that I won't care about swapping out later. What big name games are coming out between now and DX10? Nothin really.

well a e6700 is 2.67ghz (10x266fsb) so its running 266 (533 ddr) as stock setting.running 667mhz ram gains u like 2% tops and 800mhz about the same, tighter timing i.e 3-3-3-9 will gain u typically around 5% not much i know but if your spending that much u want the best performance.

btw 7600gt's are great cards,although maybe see how much u can get a 7900gs for, there almost as good as a 7900gt for just a little more than a 7600gt.

Borys

Banned
suaveric said:
spending 4k on a rig has got to be the worst investment you can make. unless you've got money to spare, why waste so much on a PC that will be out classed in 2 years or less?

1) His money not yours.
2) Outclassed in 2 years... not totally outclassed. Anyway, that's the way things roll in PC market since, well, since 286 machines.
2) Why people buy $50K watches or pens?

El Retardo said:
With that configuration, your system can't do 1080p.
Just wait for the ps3.

Worst troll ever? His PC will do 2500 x 1600, easily.

Draft

spending $4k on a pc is pretty extravegant. Once you break the $2k mark (exluding the monitor) you are probably spending cash just to spend it.

edit: the console guys obsession with 720p or 1080p or whatever the **** else is pretty funny. I could play friggen Quake in 1080p :lol

WARCOCK

Banned
No, do not make the same mistake i did. Wait for quadro cpus, after the quadros are out Moore's law is going to slump for a while, Intel already confirmed this. Now keep in mind that Sli offers about a 20-40% percent boost in performance, thit does not match twice the price rate. Again im conscious this isnt that valid of an argument but what are you going to need this much power for RIGHT NOW, the only thing its going to be of use for in current games is maxing AA and other filters,which is nice but i mean come on. Wait for quadros. My PCs is way more modest then yours same cpu, gf 7900gt and about half the ram. Im running every game i lay my hand on at max. If you cant wait go ahead and buy the rig but seriously reconsider the sli, id still wait for quadros.

suaveric

Borys said:
1) His money not yours.
2) Outclassed in 2 years... not totally outclassed. Anyway, that's the way things roll in PC market since, well, since 286 machines.
2) Why people buy $50K watches or pens?

If he really has nothing better to spend his money on, then so be it. But those 50k watches and pens don't become outclassed in two years. The reality is that PC tech make cars look like a good investment.

If I had 4k to spend on a computer today, I would spend half right now on the best rig I could buy and then do it all over again in two years. This way, I would stay much more current and still spend the same amount of cash.

VALIS

suaveric said:
If I had 4k to spend on a computer today, I would spend half right now on the best rig I could buy and then do it all over again in two years. This way, I would stay much more current and still spend the same amount of cash.

I'm not following you. You'd spend 2K today and get a computer that is decent but compromises will have to be made for demanding games, then you'll spend 2K on a new rig in two years for another computer that isn't at the head of the class.

Meanwhile I can spend 3-4K on a top of the line computer now and update the GPU every couple years for $600-$800.

Option 2 is spending nearly the same money as option 1 yet that machine is always at the head of the class. Seems like a better way to go for me.

dmann

Man.. that system is overkill. But hey if you want to spend the cash and get a top of the line pc, then go for it. While you're at it swap out the E6700 for the E6800 Extreme :D

Draft

VALIS said:
I'm not following you. You'd spend 2K today and get a computer that is decent but compromises will have to be made for demanding games, then you'll spend 2K on a new rig in two years for another computer that isn't at the head of the class.

Meanwhile I can spend 3-4K on a top of the line computer now and update the GPU every couple years for $600-$800.

Option 2 is spending nearly the same money as option 1 yet that machine is always at the head of the class. Seems like a better way to go for me.
think of it like this. There is a huge jump in performance going from a $500 PC to a $1000 PC. There's a smaller, but still pronounced jump going from a $1000 to a $2000 PC. The jump from $2000 to $4000? Barely perceptible. $4000 is simply overkill.

Look, hardware manufactuers gouge the shit out of their high end products because they don't really expect to sell that stuff. It's more about bragging right. My GPU is faster than your GPU, you know? And there is a market out there for this stuff. The same market that buys $300,000 cars and $15,000,000 houses. The kind of guy that wipes his ass with Apple stock and lights his cigars with $100 bills. If that's you, and money is simply not an object, then go nuts. If on the other hand you actually need to be somewhat frugal, please consider NOT spending $4k on a PC.

Just my $.02

suaveric

VALIS said:

Every couple of years you'd be upgrading a lot more than just the GPU to stay at the head of the class. You'd have to replace everything except the hard drive. Everything is moving at the same pace towards being obsolete.

I'd like to know what compromises you'd have to make today for these demanding games on a computer worth 2k.

fronn

VALIS:

I'd say wait for G80 and Kentsfield (or an inevitable price drop of C2D). It's horribly stupid to dump 4k now when you can wait 2 months and dump 4k and get a system that'll be significantly better in some places. Especially if you plan on keeping the system for any amount of time.

Be patient -- it's a poor time to buy a computer with significant new stuff coming out so soon.

I'd also think about a raid solution for storage. A couple 10krpm 74/150gbs would be nice, or 1 10krpm alone and a couple 250-300gb in raid. The ~$400 spent on a single 750gb could be better spent, I think.

And, no offense, since it seems to be a common issue... but what the **** is with people buying such obnoxious and ugly cases!

Draft

fronn said:
And, no offense, since it seems to be a common issue... but what the **** is with people buying such obnoxious and ugly cases!
this is also a pet peeve of mine. I hate those cases with big plastic bulges and ugly logos protruding from every corner. Give me a sleek Lian Li any day of the week.

pc60.jpg

That is a PC case.

fronn said:
VALIS:

I'd say wait for G80 and Kentsfield (or an inevitable price drop of C2D). It's horribly stupid to dump 4k now when you can wait 2 months and dump 4k and get a system that'll be significantly better in some places. Especially if you plan on keeping the system for any amount of time.

Be patient -- it's a poor time to buy a computer with significant new stuff coming out so soon.

I'd also think about a raid solution for storage. A couple 10krpm 74/150gbs would be nice, or 1 10krpm alone and a couple 250-300gb in raid. The ~$400 spent on a single 750gb could be better spent, I think.

QFT, wait till the DX10 cards are out and intel releases the Quad core.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
koam said:
That's quite possibly the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. But hey, it's your cash. I'd wait for a DX10 card like others have said otherwise your buying the cards for nothing.

QFT.

I'll never understand the ridiculous amount of wasted cash for a frikkin SLI setup. Sure, you'll get more frames. But in a few months BOTH the cards will be outdated technology, being outgunned by a single card with superior perfomance to both combined. Its a really shortsighted, and IMO, badly spend financial decision for a tiny framerate increase. But hey whatever, your cash.

Slurpy said:
QFT.

I'll never understand the ridiculous amount of wasted cash for a frikkin SLI setup. Sure, you'll get more frames. But in a few months BOTH the cards will be outdated technology, being outgunned by a single card with superior perfomance to both combined. Its a really shortsighted, and IMO, badly spend financial decision for a tiny framerate increase. But hey whatever, your cash.

My two 6800XTs greatly outperform a single 7900GT, so I don't know what you're talking about. SLI is a good idea, just not with high-end cards. Outdated cards are the best to SLI.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This thread makes me excited for the new year and all the good shit to come. I shall be upgrading then. :D

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
koam said:

QFT.

gohepcat

Banned
Draft said:
this is also a pet peeve of mine. I hate those cases with big plastic bulges and ugly logos protruding from every corner. Give me a sleek Lian Li any day of the week.

pc60.jpg

That is a PC case.

Yea. Tacky PC cases seem to be all the rage. I just wish the Lan Li's didn't cost so much.

Top Bottom