• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM92

Schrade said:
Most likely you need to update your DirectX 9 runtime.

Latest version was released in March 2009 (this year): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=0cf368e5-5ce1-4032-a207-c693d210f616

Direct Download: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-B1E8-248D43270D5F/directx_mar2009_redist.exe (92.4 mb)

Or you could use the web updater version (Only downloads what you need): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Direct Download : http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718CCC4-6315-4D8E-9543-8E28A4E18C4C/dxwebsetup.exe (294 kb)

If the GSDX plugin is set to DX10 hardware/software/null it'll require DX10 to be on the system, DX10 offers the best visuals available on the emu with far less graphical glitches and whatnot. It helps greatly in games like FFXII and Kingdom Hearts II

Piano

Banned
How can I get it to run fullscreen? I've tried selecting several resolutions instead of 'Windowed' in the graphics configuration, but it still runs in a window...hmph.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What affects speed the most?

I have a 2.2Ghz Dual Core Processor
8600GT (dx9)
1.5Gb RAM

Apparently Guilty Gear X2 and all the games in the series run at full speed but I can't seem to attain it. I get around 30-40% in game with pretty much every version of this emu that I've tried. So it has to be my system.

Asparagus

TheEastonator said:
How can I get it to run fullscreen? I've tried selecting several resolutions instead of 'Windowed' in the graphics configuration, but it still runs in a window...hmph.

Yeah it defaults to window mode everytime now, just press alt + enter.

Bog

Junior Ace
gregor7777 said:
CPU speed is king. Get that modern 2/3/4 core CPU up to around 3+GHz and you're talking.

So my core 2 duo 2.6/Radeon 4890 1gb isn't gonna cut it?

EGM92

Bog said:
So my core 2 duo 2.6/Radeon 4890 1gb isn't gonna cut it?

OC the C2D. the problem wth the PS2 is that it has multiple processors inside, the emulator itself is optimized for Dual core support, any other cores will have some workload put off to it which helps performance a little, so whats really needed is a CPU with 2 cores that can do as many calculations per second as possible, so the faster you can get that C2D, the better performance you'll have. The 4890 is overkill, the emulator supports a max of 3.0 Pixel shader so all the extra features are pretty useless.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Barkley's Justice said:
can someone please explain why GOW1 can be emulated/up-scaled in 1080p on a PC but not on the PS3?
Someone released software to do it for PC, but not for PS3.

brain_stew said:
Sony's PS1 emulator relies purely on low level emulation, emulating the oruginal chips in their exact fashion. Its great for compatibility, but its slow
It runs a lot better then any of the PC emulators (lots of games run perfect on a 100mhz R4000, which would be PC analogue of a 100mhz 486).
The rendering is done the same way as you described "highlevel emulator" - they translate PSX command streams into something that works on PS3/PSP/PS2 GPUs, and run them.

Enhancements with commercial emulators are fundamentally always an issue because they introduce too many compatibility problems, and you can't ship a commercial product which has 15pages of nonsensically named option screens to wade through.
Simply put - homebrew emulation wins on flexibility because it's never held to the same standards for compatibility/stability as commercial one.

bee

its all cpu as has been said, quad core means nothing and probably never will, a friend of mine has a e8600@4.5ghz and its a LOT faster than mine in pcsx2

Demigod Mac

The Maetel version runs a bit faster, but it seems to handle frameskipping better. Under stress the framerate simply gets choppier instead of moving in slo-mo, which is better for playability.

ultim8p00

Banned
Demigod Mac said:
The Maetel version runs a bit faster, but it seems to handle frameskipping better. Under stress the framerate simply gets choppier instead of moving in slo-mo, which is better for playability.

Do not use frame skipping on the Maetel version. It screws everything up (at least on my comp). Max-out all speed hacks and let all frames be displayed. The X3 speed hack already frame skips and does a better job at it.

Also. GOWII is fully playable on my comp, with a few graphical glitches:

Untitled-3.png

Untitled3.jpg

The game slows down to about 48-50 fps when there is a lot of geometry around. In some places where there is simple geometry, like in caves and stuff, the game sometimes runs too fast.

Here are the plugins I'm using:

Gsdx r962 DX10 set to windowed mode, filtering on, fullscreen, everything else default

SPU-2X for sound with time stretching on for sounds

Lilypad so I can play with my Logitech Gamepad

CPU settings: Render full frames, X3 Cycle hack, VU cycle stealing set to very large, CPU set to dual core mode

Also I'm using Maetel v 2.6 but it turns out that v1.5 is actually faster..which makes no sense.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Schrade said:
Most likely you need to update your DirectX 9 runtime.

Latest version was released in March 2009 (this year): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=0cf368e5-5ce1-4032-a207-c693d210f616

Direct Download: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-B1E8-248D43270D5F/directx_mar2009_redist.exe (92.4 mb)

Or you could use the web updater version (Only downloads what you need): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Direct Download : http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718CCC4-6315-4D8E-9543-8E28A4E18C4C/dxwebsetup.exe (294 kb)
This might be it, I'll take a look now.

Thanks for the links, appreciated. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what it is, but when I try and run SOTC at the exact same settings with the newer plugin, everything slows way, way down. Strange.

ultim8p00 said:
The game slows down to about 48-50 fps when there is a lot of geometry around. In some places where there is simple geometry, like in caves and stuff, the game sometimes runs too fast.
PAL version would probably run with minimal slow downs on yours.

ArjanN

infinityBCRT said:
PAL version would probably run with minimal slow downs on yours.

Or just play NTSC version and limit the frames in the options to 50FPS. Same thing.

PAL versions are really not easier to emulate, you're just missing 10FPS.

Harteex

ArjanN said:
Or just play NTSC version and limit the frames in the options to 50FPS. Same thing.

Are you saying that PAL games are slower than NTSC games? Wouldn't it just be less frames for graphics, the game logic should surely have the same speed across the versions.
I'm pretty sure limiting the NTSC version to 50 FPS will make the game run slower than the PAL at 50 FPS.

ArjanN said:

mmm if I'm not mistaken, PAL games run at 50hz whereas NTSC games run at 60hz. If you limit the NTSC version to 50FPS (assuming you're not frameskipping) the game will run 20% slower than the normal speed.

ArjanN said:

Err no, PAL games are optimized for 50 hz so they run at the same speed even though they're drawing fewer frames.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
infinityBCRT said:
mmm if I'm not mistaken, PAL games run at 50hz whereas NTSC games run at 60hz. If you limit the NTSC version to 50FPS (assuming you're not frameskipping) the game will run 20% slower than the normal speed.

Correct. But sometimes the developers spend extra time working on the PAL code to compensate for rendering speed, making it an identical experience to the NTSC version despite the lower frame rate.

Games that have received this special treatment include MGS2/3, FFXII and KHII and various other big budget titles. It did take a while for some developers to hear PAL-land's complaints though.

Cataferal said:
Correct. But sometimes the developers spend extra time working on the PAL code to compensate for rendering speed, making it an identical experience to the NTSC version despite the lower frame rate.
Thats what I said. The guy I was responding to was saying the opposite.

inner-G

Banned
Using nhancer, I forced AA. I got 16X MSAA running, but 4X looks just as good to me, so I'm running it at that.

Screens after AA:

AA.jpg

zoro.jpg

inner-G

Banned
hateradio said:
damn, that first shot looks amazing.
It looks ridiculous in motion.

here's my settings:

settings.jpg

using nhancer (using STALKER compatability profile) and forcing the vsync and AA that way.

Only works for nvidia GPU's but doesn't seem to hurt the framerate much as far as I can tell. Try it out if you have one.

inner-G

Banned
sexy intro screen shot:

intro.jpg

Got my proper PS2 ripping soft set up now, will try to post different game screens later today or tomorrow.

Dizzy-4U

You know what's awesome? I tell you what's AWESOME!!! Time-freaking-splitters 2 running at full speed (60fps) with no graphical glitches at all......on my crappy/standard computer!!!!

TP2 + 4 X 360 joysticks = I'm in heaven. This will make the waiting for Perfect Dark XBLA a lot easier :D

33ttqio.png

2w2k3ud.png

r29l3a.png

My Timesplitters 3 disc has 728 scratches, so I couldn't test it =/

OMG @ this thread. You're bringing back to life my best gaming memories on my beloved and higly regreted, dead PS2.

I need this emulator.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Although my computer is incapable of playing games, does anyone here using the DualShock 3 via USB on a PC get issues with you try to test the slower motor in the JoyPad settings?

I had installed the lib-usb thing a while back and added the rumble thing to the registry, the stronger motor works but every time I tried testing the slower one, nothing happens and PCSX2 crashes.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
darkwings said:
would a geforce GTS 250 512MB do okay with this emulator?
As long as you got a pretty good CPU. I'm pretty sure that this emu is more cpu dependent than gpu.

edit: Faaaak.

inner-G

Banned
What would be the best type of CPU to run it?

I have an AMD, and if only intel's can do the SSE4 or whatever, what would be the best one to get? something like an 8400 C2D?

A quad core wouldn't do anything better and would be clocked lower, right?

zbarron

darkwings said:
would a geforce GTS 250 512MB do okay with this emulator?
I was running it on a 9800gtx+ which is basically the same card. As long as you don't crank up the internal resolution too high it shouldn't hold you back.

Clevinger

inner-G said:
What would be the best type of CPU to run it?

I have an AMD, and if only intel's can do the SSE4 or whatever, what would be the best one to get? something like an 8400 C2D?

A quad core wouldn't do anything better and would be clocked lower, right?

I have an 8400 and it runs Persona 3 perfectly with the newest beta. I think it's hard to tell where hardware is helping and where the emulation just isn't good with a game yet. There are lots of games where the emulator just isn't good yet, and a lot of games where it works perfectly.

Each official release is a pretty big leap with performance in a lot of games, and we're still only in 9.6.

Also, I think I've read that the emulator only uses two cores.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I can't play anything except Nippon Ichi games. Everything else is slow as fuck no matter what build I use. Is AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.01GHz really not good enough?

Some Gitaroo Man is needed.
snap002.jpg

zbarron

Dani said:
I can't play anything except Nippon Ichi games. Everything else is slow as fuck no matter what build I use. Is AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.01GHz really not good enough?

Some Gitaroo Man is needed.
snap002.jpg
Sorry but it really isn't. Most would recommend a Core 2 Duo clocked at a minimum of 3Ghz.

DieH@rd

Banned
JSnake said:
Fuck, MGS2 hardly works with this emulator but I just beat MGS3 using it last night.

You are aware that MGS2: Substance was released for PC? :D You can crank up the resolution and effect to the max there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom