• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xemumanic

bee said:
played through first 2 hours of ff12 seemed pretty dam good to me , dont care about the fmv i skip it all anyway it was just the sound looping that was annoying, ff10 is practically perfect.

also tried okami, last time i gave that a go it managed to get the title screen run at 5fps then crash , tried it this time and the sound is 100% perfect so far and the game runs 60fps locked with a few graphics glitches, mighty impressive.

The sound looping is probably fixed/improved upon by usig the ZeroSPU plugin, if you arent already.

bee

xemumanic said:
The sound looping is probably fixed/improved upon by usig the ZeroSPU plugin, if you arent already.

yeah im already using that and the latest 239 beta release and both the gsdx9 0.11.2 and gsdx10 0.1.2, i must post a message of thanks sometime on ngemu cos they deserve at least that, ff12 graphically is now the game it deserved to be rather than a low res aliased mess.

bee said:
played through first 2 hours of ff12 seemed pretty dam good to me , dont care about the fmv i skip it all anyway it was just the sound looping that was annoying, ff10 is practically perfect.

also tried okami, last time i gave that a go it managed to get the title screen run at 5fps then crash , tried it this time and the sound is 100% perfect so far and the game runs 60fps locked with a few graphics glitches, mighty impressive.

FFX is far from perfect. Although promising. Too much annying bugs to even be playable but it runs nicely.

bee

jakershaker said:
FFX is far from perfect. Although promising. Too much annying bugs to even be playable but it runs nicely.

your saying its not even playable? why not? what plugins u use?

xemumanic said:
Well, someone by the name of 'tuanming' on the GSDx9 thread about half an hour ago, did a comparison of XP x86 and x64, vs Vista x86. He only posted the XP64 pictures because he claims the performance was pretty much the same between the two, but Vista's framerate was much higher. At first, I thought the Vista screenshots were using GSDx10, not realizing he has a DX9 card. This shows a performance increase, even in DX9, under Vista.
I don't think we're seeing Vista being faster at DX9, rather that you're seeing the benefit of Vista's improved thread scheduler. Vista tends to run multithreaded, CPU-limited applications like PCSX2 and Flight Simulator X faster than XP because they're written for multiple cores, and Vista handles that better than XP.

bee said:
your saying its not even playable? why not? what plugins u use?

Yes it's playable but it still needs some work(I would never be able t play a game through in this state). I've tried most plugins but none run it good enough for me to play it. As I mentioned earlier sound emulation is still weak and sound is a pretty important part in the FF games. And they still have lots of graphical bugs that really annoy me. I don't really care about added res and aa, thats just a bonus. As long they can get it running as close to the original game as possible.

FFX is damn close though.

Cdammen said:
Somebody take screenshots of God of War 1 & 2 running at really high settings please! :)
Considering the number of times that this has been requested, and the fact that nobody has done it yet, it seems reasonable to believe that either they aren't playable or they run so slow that nobody's going to bother playing them.

Mamesj

Banned
Oh! My Car! said:
Gradius V, would ya kindly?

here you go...

7wfqozl.png

Had to use GSDX9, the other one didn't work, so no 16xAA.

xemumanic

For those of you who've asked about God of War, don't take this the wrong way bu (f*ck it, take it how you want) why don't you try it yourselves? The more of us try out the emu and report bugs and the like, the better it'll be. That's the point.

I think it runs to some degree, but I've never tried it or GoW2.

xemumanic

strwrsxprt said:
I don't think we're seeing Vista being faster at DX9, rather that you're seeing the benefit of Vista's improved thread scheduler. Vista tends to run multithreaded, CPU-limited applications like PCSX2 and Flight Simulator X faster than XP because they're written for multiple cores, and Vista handles that better than XP.

Very good point. I'll bet that's the reason. I guess the only way to test the theory out would be to uncheck the Dual Core/MTSG mode and compare the framerates.

Here's some screens of my adventures in PCSX2 land. My overclocked X2 4200+ is showing it's age fps-wise but I can still see the enhancements. Okami looks really nice all smoothed out.. it almost justifies wading through the non-skippable intro at half speed :D

6k6z79k.jpg

6xhs9x2.jpg

89j1k09.jpg

80njza9.jpg

6y1g4fq.jpg

7yg6qtj.jpg

Cdammen

nincompoop said:
Considering the number of times that this has been requested, and the fact that nobody has done it yet, it seems reasonable to believe that either they aren't playable or they run so slow that nobody's going to bother playing them.
I guess so...

Mamesj said:
Oh snap :lol

ToastyBanana said:
These images make the wait for the XBLA version even more unbearable. Hot stuff!

Hey, how about some older games... anybody have the time to snap some pics of SkyGunner?

Mamesj

Banned
Here's God........hand. Unfortunately the game is all messed up in gameplay, but the opening cutscene gives a peek at what's to come. Like FFXII, this game will be something else at a higher resolution and AA. The character models are really freaking good for the PS2.

87bamfs.png

Mamesj

Banned
badcrumble said:
I hope they can get the emulator up to speed on properly running good music, art, and atmosphere :(

Atmosphere?! I'll give you your atmosphere: 5 cat chick demons trying to rip your throat out at once. there's your atmosphere. :D

Everdred

So I decided on my PC and just ordered it. Heres what I ended up with:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit (which I hope to overclock to at least 3.0GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 GB PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

Won't get it for at least a week, but I'll post some screens of my results when I do.

Borys

Banned
Nice to see PS2 emulation on a level most people see as acceptable. It's like ePSXe all over again!

I can see and can't wait for the (distant) future when I'll be able to play all my PS2 games in high-resolution on my Quad Core Laptop.

cryptic

strange_booj said:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit (which I hope to overclock to at least 3.0GHz)

Won't get it for at least a week, but I'll post some screens of my results when I do.

Are you buying that pre-made? If so, from where and for how much,sir?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
strange_booj said:

That's pretty much my current configuration (except I still can't find a 8800 GT at a decent price. Overclocked the Q6600 to 3.2 Ghz without a single problem. I'm using a Zalman 9700 though. 51C at full charge.

Borys

Banned
Blimblim said:
That's pretty much my current configuration (except I still can't find a 8800 GT at a decent price. Overclocked the Q6600 to 3.2 Ghz without a single problem. I'm using a Zalman 9700 though. 51C at full charge.

And to think you don't play PC games... waste of rig (I know you do heavy video editing, though)!

B.K.

I put it on my new laptop and tried Final Fantasy X on it. The frame rate kept going anywhere from 5 to 30. Is the virtual memory version better? I can't figure out how to let it access the virtual memory in Vista. Can anyone walk me through it?

If you guys want to experience what the future of ps2 emu can be, try Killer7 or SMT:devil summoner. Perfect! (aprart from some fmv issues)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Blimblim said:

you should have jus bought the one iw as selling lol.

grokr

Neo Member
From reading these posts it seems that Odin Sphere can run pretty well on the emulator but not with slowdown totally fixed. Is the slowdown when running on the emulator any better than running on the actual hardware especially during the boss fights like Belial and Odette. I don't have a decent graphics card since I don't play high end PC games much but I'd consider getting one if I can run Odin Sphere with at least some improvement in the hardware even if it's not totally fixed.

I am testing this out on my new computer and the default the stuff runs around 30 to 40 fps, but im wonder if there have been new plugins or whatever that improve performance

Eiji

Linkzg said:
I am testing this out on my new computer and the default the stuff runs around 30 to 40 fps, but im wonder if there have been new plugins or whatever that improve performance

Have you tried the GSdx 0.1.7 graphics plugin?

Eiji said:
Have you tried the GSdx 0.1.7 graphics plugin?

no, im not sure what that is.

im using the ZeroGS. There is something called GSdx9, but when I do that it is actually about 10 fps slower.

There was a big boost in speed when I did the dual core option, but it isnt really close to perfect yet and it only works for a few games.

I really only want to use this for import games since my PS3 cant play them and my old PS2 which I used before to play import games has a lot of problems and I have no import solution for my slim. I tried ACE2 and it ran pretty shitty, so I doubt my copy of ACE3 would run better.

bee

Linkzg said:
is it better to use SSE3 or SSE2? and is it better to use DX9 or DX10?

its ssse3 not sse3 so you can only use that if you've got an intel core 2 duo/quad, theres very little difference between the two though

dx10 is definitely better than the dx9 plugin although you of course need a dx10 card and vista and you'd also need this

D3DX10 v36

bee said:
its ssse3 not sse3 so you can only use that if you've got an intel core 2 duo/quad, theres very little difference between the two though

dx10 is definitely better than the dx9 plugin although you of course need a dx10 card and vista and you'd also need this

D3DX10 v36

ok, thanks.

I have an 8800gt and vista, so I think that is DX10 and all that. I also have a Intel core 2 duo, so I guess I should go with ssse3.

Mamesj

Banned
bee said:

D3DX10 v36

Since DX10 games can be hacked, wouldn't there theoretically be a way to run the DX10 plugin (with it's benefits) in XP?

Mamesj said:
Since DX10 games can be hacked, wouldn't there theoretically be a way to run the DX10 plugin (with it's benefits) in XP?
No. The DX10 for XP is basically a wrapper that changes a lot of DX10 instructions to DX9. There is no speed improvement, and a little extra random problems.

Mamesj

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
No. The DX10 for XP is basically a wrapper that changes a lot of DX10 instructions to DX9. There is no speed improvement, and a little extra random problems.

Gotcha.

I hope the next DX9 plugin release is a huge improvement. So many games are on the verge of being preferable in pcsx2 vs. a PS2.

wow, just testing this out some some of my import games, it seems to run ACE2 and Hokuto no Ken near perfect. For some reason Initial D runs bad despite being a graphically inferior game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I dont think my Vaio laptop will run this, anyone checked with these specs?

1.8 ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb ram, nVidia GeForce 8400M GT.

Borys said:
No, not even close. Maybe when PCSX2 version 1.0 is out.

I hope it is soon.

Just playing a few games on my PC they look really sharp. Only problem is that at times there are some graphical problems, but still it looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom