• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

The Alien Isolation mod has Steam VR support now:

https://www.roadtovr.com/mothervr-mod-alien-isolation-oculus-rift-nibre-zack-fannon/
Update (8/27/17): Version 0.3.0 of the MotherVR mod has added SteamVR support, allowing Vive users to play Alien: Isolation in VR; you can find the latest version of the mod here. The article below has been updated to reflect this.

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

He sounds confident to get motion controller support in at some point! (I will be waiting until that is in)

Lakuza

So many negative impressions and previews for skyrim vr (psvr version), Kotaku just put out a preview for it too. it seems like a complete rush job. If it does come out on pc, I wonder if it'll be the same port for a quick cash in.

The Alien Isolation mod has Steam VR support now:

https://www.roadtovr.com/mothervr-mod-alien-isolation-oculus-rift-nibre-zack-fannon/

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

He sounds confident to get motion controller support in at some point! (I will be waiting until that is in)

I'm still holding out for the motion controller support too, can't wait (it'll be my first playthrough too x_x ).

low-G

So many negative impressions and previews for skyrim vr (psvr version), Kotaku just put out a preview for it too. it seems like a complete rush job. If it does come out on pc, I wonder if it'll be the same port for a quick cash in.

I'm really starting to wonder about Bethesda's ability to make these VR games. Doom VFR seems like it'll clearly be the standout, but I don't think anyone's nailed what makes a game like Arizona Sunshine enticing and Killing Floor a snorefest.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I'm still holding out for the motion controller support too, can't wait (it'll be my first playthrough too x_x ).

This is getting worrisome, here's hoping the game will be improved when it launch on vive and rift next year.

Until then i'll just enjoy Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR

solaaire

Neo Member
I'm really starting to wonder about Bethesda's ability to make these VR games. Doom VFR seems like it'll clearly be the standout, but I don't think anyone's nailed what makes a game like Arizona Sunshine enticing and Killing Floor a snorefest.

Doom VFR is likely a better indicator of the direction Zenimax/Bethesda is heading with VR.

If Bethesda can manage to get even a semblance of Skyrim properly ported to VR, they can easily repackage an incredibly strong brand and provide a compelling reason for everyone, even existing owners to buy at full price. Same goes for Fallout 4. I imagine Skyrim VR and FO4VR are both relatively inexpensive endeavors for the company, and probably have a ton of knowledge overlap to boot.

Bethesda also has the luxury of releasing Skyrim VR in a market that's thirsty for more fleshed out single player experiences, and also a market that is 100% okay paying full price for Early Access.

Josman

My expectations for Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR aren't really that high, It's obvious they're rush jobs and I don't blame them, but it's probably the way they get familiar with the tech, I bet the next Elder Scrolls will be built with VR in mind.

I'm not surprised that AAA devs aren't on the cutting edge of this stuff. Especially when we're talking about games as huge as Fallout and Skyrim and the fact that they're conversions of flat screen games. Is it any wonder Doom VFR seems like the most solid out of the three?

All that said, keep in mind they're constrained on Skyrim by the Move controllers and the fact that they don't have analog sticks or an equivalent. I'd be surprised if the PC version doesn't allow trackpad/analog stick movement.

Durante

Fallout 4 VR has got pretty consistently positive impressions though.

It seems like at least half of the issues people complain about with Skyrim are hardware-related (input, tracking or just performance limitations).

Of course, it's also true that shooting guns in VR is more straightforward than implementing swordplay.

ArtHands

http://www.player.one/skyrim-vr-hands-demo-release-date-review-elder-scrolls-117843

Saw this old preview article. Seems skyrim VR has got some wonky issue with the arrow/bow.

Bow and arrow combat both worked and didn’t. When things were running smoothly, picking off enemies at a distance was one of the most satisfying parts of Skyrim VR. However, when things weren’t running well, the arrows would frequently jump around everywhere but the drawstring. Once you did finally line the arrows up right, you have to pull your arm back to fire. This movement did not get detected frequently, meaning I had a hard time firing arrows at enemies.

https://press-start.com.au/features/2017/08/28/skyrim-vr-hands-preview-aint-broke-break/amp/

And this...the author feels rather disappointed too.
As damn cool as it is to see Skyrim up close and personal, the experience feels a tad undercooked. Movement, as it always will be, is too a big a hurdle in the quest for absolute immersion which is critical to a series like The Elder Scrolls. The sword fighting felt clumsy and the ease with which you can toast enemies makes swordplay feel outdated and unnecessary.

http://www.player.one/skyrim-vr-hands-demo-release-date-review-elder-scrolls-117843

Saw this old preview article. Seems skyrim VR has got some wonky issue with the arrow/bow.

https://press-start.com.au/features/2017/08/28/skyrim-vr-hands-preview-aint-broke-break/amp/

I didn't read the whole article, but donyou think the first reviewer didn't have full 360 degrees?

I hope to god that's the case...this and/or the Switch will be my first time ever trying Skyrim

I have no experience with PSVR but PS Move controllers could never offer a satisfying replacement for even 2D light gun games back in the PS3 days, so I don't find it surprising that they're a poor choice for 1:1 positionally tracked controllers in a 3D space.

I'll wait and see how well the controls work once they're ported over to a VR system with a controller built for VR.

ArtHands

http://respawn.fi/codemasters-jarru...r-tukea-koska-konsolit-ovat-liian-tehottomia/

F1 2017 may come to vr on PC (article is in finnish)

- It's a bit harder. So much information and graphics are being displayed on the screen at the same time that we are already crossing borders. VR requires a lot of power and we would not want to trim anything. We've still been considering VR support for a long time.
Mather's comment, however, is not absolute no. F1 2017 may receive at least VR support for the PC. PSVR support is a challenge.
- The game would not be the same on PS4 and Xbox One for VR. However, we are examining our possibilities, Mather continues.

Lakuza

Another problem I've read about is how they've dumbed down skyrim, in that enemies will now only fight you one at a time. I don't think thats something limited to psvr, but more a game design decision that may be kept for the pc version too.

I didn't read the whole article, but donyou think the first reviewer didn't have full 360 degrees?

I hope to god that's the case...this and/or the Switch will be my first time ever trying Skyrim

PSVR cant handle 360 degrees since its one front facing camera only. The moment the controllers are out of view, theres nothing to track. People had the same problem with batman vr too where they couldn't reach items on the ground if the camera wasnt able to see it. Sony didn't do themselves any favours for sticking with the move controllers with no analog stick and only 1 camera.

Durante

Another problem I've read about is how they've dumbed down skyrim, in that enemies will now only fight you one at a time. I don't think thats something limited to psvr, but more a game design decision that may be kept for the pc version too.
Could well be a hardware-based decision though. Enemies eat CPU, and multiple enemies need you to turn in all directions (making the tracking deficiencies apparent).

Is it known if the Talos Principle DLC will be included in the VR version?

Chroma Labs is a lot of fun. Crazy satisfying to smush the particles around as they pulse in time to music. It will be one of the things I show first time VR users as it's a great showcase for how kinesthetic VR can be along with the particles giving a great sense of 3D depth.

Will The Talos Principle VR be its own thing?

Any word on price?

Depends on what you mean by "own thing". It's more or less the original game with tweaks (and I believe additions) to better fit the interactivity of VR. Don't think they've mentioned price yet, but Croteam has been pretty good about giving extra discounts for VR versions of games you already own (or are related).

Will The Talos Principle VR be its own thing?

Any word on price?

It will be standalone but the same content as the non-vr version. If I were to guess it's probably going to be priced the same as Serious Sam FE and SE VR with some discount for existing owners.

Tain

HORIZON VANGUARD Steam store page is up!

Getting ready to release a demo at the start of September, here's a trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSrYLMDqaAQ

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

ArtHands

https://uploadvr.com/fallout-4-skyrim-vr-quakecon/

Hands on impressions for skyrim VR and fallout 4 VR. UploadVR isn't really impressed from the skyrim VR demo too

On PC and consoles Skyrim is an absolutely essential play for role-playing fans thanks to its rich, lived-in setting. Unfortunately, I’ve barely explored any of it personally (sorry!) And despite the hype surrounding its release, the VR version didn’t make the greatest impression at QuakeCon, and I can’t help but think it has a lot to do with the platform of choice: PlayStation VR.

Rather, it might be the platform and controllers of choice, since only PlayStation Move wands were available at the demo. The full game will support the DualShock 4 controller as well, and based on the moments I spent awkwardly stumbling around Skyrim, I have to believe a gamepad will be the far better option of the two.

Navigating with the Move controllers was painful at times. You can use the main button on the left Move controller to teleport around, but you’re also forced to use the lower buttons to rotate your body in either direction. That’s not so bad when you’re out in an open environment, but trying to navigate down a spiral staircase was hilariously terrible, and finding my way through a zigzagging, maze-like dungeon felt laborious.

No doubt: it hampered the experience to enough of a degree that I couldn’t imagine pouring potentially dozens of hours into the game. And ultimately, the demo wasn’t all that exciting. The puzzles were pre-solved and looting was disabled to encourage a smooth, speedy demo experience (all of that stuff will be in the full game, of course), but it just felt like a wonky stroll with a little bit of sword slashing and fire-blasting along the way.

It was the same Bleak Falls Barrow area that David explored back at E3, and I get his enthusiasm for Skyrim in VR: if you love this game, why wouldn’t you want to explore it again in VR? But without that built-in adoration, Skyrim VR left me feeling as cold as a Dovahkiin spending too long fumbling with the controls on the snowy slope outside Bleak Falls Barrow. Hopefully it feels better once the full game is playable and I can use a DualShock 4 instead.

Lakuza

Uhg.

So wait, is it going to take months after the PSVR release for the game to be released on Steam and/or the Oculus store?

Skyrim is being released on psvr first, pc will get it at a later date. Fallout vr and doom vfr are pc first (I don't think they've been announced for psvr).

Skyrim, fallout and doom VR won't ever hit the oculus store due to the zenimax vs oculus court cases that happened(thats why they are calling the games Vive exclusive). But, that wont stop you from buying off steam and playing it on rift so it doesn't matter much at the end of the day XD

Shifty

HORIZON VANGUARD Steam store page is up!

Getting ready to release a demo at the start of September, here's a trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSrYLMDqaAQ

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Nice! Looks crazy fast, I like your use of a low texture detail floor plane to (presumably) limit motion sickness.

Oculus store has 2 new sale bundles.

Ach, I'm really tempted by that essentials bundle given the normal pricing for The Climb and Raw Data. Torn by the balancing act of keeping non-exclusives on steam and not missing good sales.

Skyrim is being released on psvr first, pc will get it at a later date. Fallout vr and doom vfr are pc first (I don't think they've been announced for psvr).

Skyrim, fallout and doom VR won't ever hit the oculus store due to the zenimax vs oculus court cases that happened(thats why they are calling the games Vive exclusive). But, that wont stop you from buying off steam and playing it on rift so it doesn't matter much at the end of the day XD
Thank you!! :)

Doom VFR has. I think it's pretty obvious Bethesda don't want to release two similarly giant VR RPGs on the same platform within a month of each other. Doom is different enough that it's not an issue.

ArtHands

Hope the PC version of Skyrim VR isn't compromised unlike the PSVR version.

Lakuza

(unrelated: no idea when it happened but just noticed I've graduated from junior to member status ^_^ )

Hope the PC version of Skyrim VR isn't compromised unlike the PSVR version.
I hope so too and Durante made a good point regarding the dumbing down of enemies in the PSVR version, so theres a tiny bit of hope there:

Could well be a hardware-based decision though. Enemies eat CPU, and multiple enemies need you to turn in all directions (making the tracking deficiencies apparent).

Soi-Fong

Honestly, I'm not expecting movement to be much better on the Vive. Those touchpads weren't meant to be used as analog sticks.

Honestly, I'm not expecting movement to be much better on the Vive. Those touchpads weren't meant to be used as analog sticks.

There are various ways to utilize the touchpad for movement, binary walk/don't walk with double cklick fpr running. Binary with different speeds depending on where you press the touchpad. Both previous methds without pressing the touchpad, only using the capacative sensors. Using binary but chosing your speed analog by tilting the controller (wrist/elbow pointing at ground=slow, pointing directly ahead=fast etc. I really like this method). Analog movement by sliding your thumb over the touchpad etc.

The better question is, will Bethesda actually be using the touchpad intelligently? I doubt it, If I had to guess they will simply transfer what they did with PS Move directly to the Vive controllers.

vermadas

3rd person hack 'n slash Preta: Vendetta Rising was patched.
- Out of Early Access
- Price reduced from $34.99 to $9.99 USD
- In-app purchases completely removed

Steam | Oculus

cakefoo

I think we can all agree that Bethesda's solution for Move is a workaround for the hardware's tracking and controller mapping limitations. Mapping locomotion to a trackpad is by no means a workaround- it's the same input solution found on the Steam controller.

Regardless of your thumb's preferences, sliding locomotion in general is much better suited for existing games than teleport is, and physical 360 turning is worlds better than tapping face buttons to snap turn.

Lakuza

Does anyone have Aeon?
Is it worth getting right now at its current price or is it best to wait for more content?

Its caught my eye alot on youtube but not sure if its the right time to get it yet.

Been seeing a lot of good buzz for this game ZomDay but I've been writing it off because it's a zombie wave shooter. But they just added touchpad locomotion so I decided to finally give it a chance today and...it's actually pretty good! It's basically Killing Floor in VR (more so than the actual Killing Floor VR). You move around the stage fighting off waves that drop items (cash, ammo, health, etc). Then in between waves you spend that cash on weapons and ammo and health. You also level up and can spend skill points on more general perks. The more you use a weapon, the more that weapon levels up and becomes more effective. There are a set number of waves and each outing ends in a boss. Pretty satisfying combat and it has co-op. It's only $10 so I'd recommend it.

Tainted

Has anyone been successful in getting HL2 working in VR mode on the Vive ? I have tried at least a dozen times following the guides (ie setting HL2 to beta, turning off Direct mode etc); but I just cant seem to get it to function at all. Either I get nothing displayed in the headset (apart from my home screen) or a distorted representation of it on the monitor instead

Maybe I just need to wait patiently for HL:VR

vermadas

Only loosely qualifies as a game, but Mindshow is now on Steam for free.
Mindshow lets you make animated movies in VR with your body and voice! Become 3D cartoon characters and act out all the parts. Film your show in VR and share the video with your friends on social media!
The concept is great.

ArtHands

I'll download Mindshow and give it a try

also ARK: Survival Evolved exits early access today. Its compatible with Oculus Rift since last year, hope it comes to Vive after that.

SimplexPL

I'll download Mindshow and give it a try

also ARK: Survival Evolved exits early access today. Its compatible with Oculus Rift since last year, hope it comes to Vive after that.

From what I heard it's 60 bucks and VR support is an afterthought (game is poorly optimized).

Top Bottom